Text Source: Syracuse and Its Environs, by
Franklin H. Chase, Lewis Historical Pub. Co., Chicago, IL, 1924, pg.
St. Mary's Maternity Hospital
and Infant Asylum
Mary's Maternity Hospital and Infant Asylum had one hundred and sixty
children up to six years of age being cared for in 1923. Some of
these children were orphans and others had parents able to pay but part
of their expenses. Sister Margaret was in charge of the
institution, located at 1601 Court Street. Arthur W. Towne was
executive secretary of the Onondaga County Tuberculosis and Public
Health Association, organized for the promotion of child health, the
prevention of tuberculosis and other health work. Mrs. Della
Austin was superintendent of the Syracuse Day Nursery, which looked
after the care, food, instruction and recreation of children under
seven, whose mothers were employed. This service was from 7 a.m.
to 6 p.m. Another association which was doing important
philanthropic work was the Child Health Committee, of which Mrs. Lola
Van Derzee was superintendent. That institution had clinics for
teaching mothers the care and feeding of infants, as well as pre-natal
clinics. There were 13,308 visits made in the year. At East
Syracuse was the Public Health Nurses' Association, Mrs. Jennie M.
Freeman president. it looked after health work in the public
schools, furnished milk to undernourished children and family
relief. Then there was Committee for Feeding Under Nourished
Children in the city, of which Dr. Joseph C. Palmer was
president. That society provided milk daily for three hundred and
twelve children in public schools whose parents could not afford to buy
milk, besides milk for 2,545 children who paid for it.
County Medical Society, 1906-1956, The
Onondaga County Medical Society?, Syracuse? 1956, pp. 65-66.
In answer to a summons from Bishop
Ludden in 1900, four Sisters of Charity arrived in August of that same
year to take over the work of St. Mary's Maternity Hospital and
Children's Home. The institution then located on Spring Street
was begun about eleven years previous by a noble matron named Mrs.
Under the administration of the Sisters, the rapid growth of the work
soon rendered the accommodations at Spring Street inadequate for the
number of patients desiring admission.
A large building was needed to meet this demand. The Chittenden
Mansion with its wide ground space seemed to be just the right thing
for St. Mary's purposes and needs, so negotiations were begun to
purchase the property. These were finally completed November,
1918. As there were no accommodations for patients in the home, a
new hospital and nursery wing was added to the rear of the old
mansion. When the wing was ready for occupancy the patients were
removed from Spring Street and the old house was abandoned.
St. Mary's stands today a fully established private Maternity
Hospital. The hospital offers a bed capacity of 40 patients and
Services other than those offered by the Chaplain and Sisters are
divided among the Medical Staff, Medical Students, Graduate Nurses,
Practical Nurses, Student Nurses, Technicians, male employees, women
employees and school-girl aides.
Of recent date another change has come to St. Mary's. At the
request of the Provincial Superior of the Sisters of Charity, who
explained that the number of registered nurses and hospital
administrators in that order was not adequate to supply the growing
demands of the expanded facilities at the hospital, His Excellency,
Bishop Walter A. Foery of Syracuse, contacted the Sisters of the Little
Company of Mary, a community devoted exclusively to the care of the
sick and dying. In answer to the Bishop's request, on March 1,
1956, these Sisters assumed their duties at St. Mary's; all are
registered nurses. It is their sincere wish to continue in the
spirit of charity and good-will instilled into St. Mary's by their
predecessors, the Sisters of Charity.
Whatever the need, indefinitely or temporarily, St. Mary's will aim to
meet it with the same consecrated devotion that his characterized it
through the years.
Text Source: A
Short History of Hospitals in Syracuse, SUNY Upstate Medical
University: Health Services Library: Historical
St. Mary's Maternity Hospital and Children's Home was founded on Spring
Street in 1889 by a Mrs. Toohill. In 1900 Roman Catholic Bishop Patrick
A. Ludden asked the Sisters of Charity to take over the facility. The
Sisters moved to new quarters in the Chittenden Mansion at 1601-1603
Court Street in 1918. United Cerebral Palsy of Syracuse bought this
building in 1975. UCP operated a children's clinic, staffed by
physicians of the Upstate Medical Center, and other services for the
disabled. It changed its name to ENABLE in 1987, and added new services
for children and adults with disabilities.
Submitted 14 March 2006 by Pamela
Updated 16 March 2006 by Pamela Priest