Town of Gaines - 1816

The Town of Gaines was formed from the Town of Ridgeway on February 14, 1816. It is 9 miles across from east to west and 3-3/4 miles across from north to south,. It is located in the center of Orleans County just north of the Town of Albion. The Village of Albion's northern most part is in the Town of Gaines. The 1st cemetery in Orleans County, Gaines Cemetery, is located in the Hamlet of Gaines. The first burial was in 1812. Two Revolutionary War soldiers are buried there; John Anderson born in 1757 and died 2 Nov 1827. and David Bullard born 1759 and died 28 Jun 1831.
There are 3 hamlets: Gaines, Childs and Eagle Harbor.


Cemeteries:

Three are still active: Otter Creek, Old St. Joseph's and West Gaines.

Census Records

1830 / 1850 / 1855 / 1865 / 1875 / 1880 / 1890 / 1892 / 1900 / 1915 / 1930


Town Clerk

Jean Klatt

14087 Ridge Rd
Albion, New York 14411
Phone: 585-589-4592
Fax: 585-589-4525
email: jmkclerk@yahoo.com

Hours: M - T- W - F 8:30 - 2 pm, Thurs 3:30 - 7 pm

Vital Statistics records start in 1884


Historian

Dee Robinson

14407 Ridge Rd
Albion, New York 14411
Phone: 585-589-4355
email: deerob@mail.com

Cobblestone Society Museum


Dirs: Matthew Ballard & Susan Karas


Box 363
Albion, New York 14411
Phone: 585-589-9013

Open: Mother's Day - Columbus Day
Wed - Fri 11 - 5, Sat & Sun 1 - 5



Return to Orleans County page