Search billions of records on


Charles N. Downs

Source:  The Utica Observer, dated October 28, 1918

Born in Williamstown

Charles N. DOWNS, Died of Influenza in This City.

Charles N. Downs of 433 Columbia St. died this morning at 10 o’clock after a brief illness of influenza.  Mr. Downs was born Aug 18, 1888 at Williamstown, and came to Utica four months ago.  He was employed at the Savage Arms Company as an inspector.  He is survived by his father, Edward A. Downs of Utica; three brothers, Claude H. of Altmar, Jack of Utica and Edward of Ilion, and by two sisters, Enod of Utica and Iona Downs of Utica.  The remains will be taken by Undertaker  Keilbach to Altmar for interment


The Beloit Daily News, on Monday, 
July 29, 1929. 


     Henry D. Lanphear, 79, a resident of Beloit for 27 years and father of Chief B.F. (Benjamin Franklin) Lanphear of the police department, died at his home at 1229 Sixth Street Sunday morning at 7 o'clock after an illness of six weeks duration.
        Mr. Lanphear was born in Oswego County, New York State on August 8, 1849, and came to Wisconsin when he was a small boy by way of the Great Lakes and Chicago.  Later, Mr. Lanphear's family moved to Oregon, Wis., and the trip was made with oxen and a covered wagon.  On May 4, 1881, Mr. Lanphear was married to Miss Sarah E. Heyl at Humboldt, Neb. 
        For many years Mr. Lanphear was a lumberman and worked taking large rafts of logs from Wisconsin Rapids to New Orleans.  While living in Beloit, Mr. Lanphear was employed at the Fairbanks, Morse & Co., and prior to his more recent sickness, lost but one day in 20 years.  He was a member of the Methodist Church.  His hobby was hunting and fishing.

       Besides his wife, he is survived by seven children, Carl Lanphear; Jennie B..;  Grace; and Etta E.,  B.F. (Benjamin Franklin) and J.D. (Jesse Daniel) Lanphear.  Twenty-two grandchildren also survive.  One son, Lincoln (Lindon) Allen Lanphear, died in infancy. 
       Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the house and at 2:30 o'clock from the Methodist Church. The Rev. Ira E. Schlagenhauf will officiate.   Burial will be in the Oakwood Cemetery. 
       Pall bearers will be Will Rogers, Wallace Munger, R.H. Clayton, David Throne, Tom Lanigan, and Fred Tiese.

Contributed by Carol from WI, of her gr. grandfather, who was from Oswego but later moved to WI and died there.  The notes in parenthesis are Carol's.

Mrs. Mary O’BRIEN

Oneida Union, dated October 23, 1901
Oneida Madison Co., N.Y.

Sudden Death:
Mrs. Mary O’BRIEN, of Oswego, who has been spending a few days with her brother, William GOODMAN, on Cedar St., died suddenly at midnight Monday, of apoplexy.  She was 42 years of age, and leaves three children, three brothers, and two sisters.  The remains were taken to Oswego last evening.

Captain James PAPPA

Oswego Palladium, Dec. 19, 1904
Kathi, Syracuse

Captain James Pappa, one of the best known marine men in this city, died at his home, 69 East Oneida St., about six o'clock last night after an illness of several months. Captain Pappa was born in Bath, Canada, in 1830, and at an early age moved to this city. As a youth he traveled  Extensively, visiting Nicaragua and Panama, and later California.
    Returning here he began his career on the Great Lakes, which lasted over fifty years. During that time he sailed in the schooners Ontonagon, Sophia J. Luff, Boody, M.I. Wilcox, the steamers Westford, A.A. Turner, T. Kingsford and the tug C.P. Morey, in which he owned a half interest. For about six yearx he was connected with the Whitney line, of Cleveland, and during the last five he has been with the Folgers, of Kingston.
    It was while he was mate on the New Island Wanderer that he was taken sick last August. He seemed to recover his health for awhile, but shortly afterwards suffered a relapse and since then death has been expected at any time.
    Captain Pappa was not only prominent in marine circles, but he stood high in the Masonic order. The news of his death will be received with sorrow in every quarter of the city. He is survived by a son, Fred, of Chicago, and a daughter, Mrs. Jolly, of Rochester.

Mrs. Frank R. VAN NORT

Utica Saturday Globe, dated November 10, 1917:

Mrs. Frank R. VAN NORT passed away at her home, 1620 Miller St., Tuesday morning, following an illness of six months’ duration.  A complication of diseases caused death.  Mrs. VAN NORT, whose maiden name was Rosemary KIRK, was born in Oswego, but came to this city with her parents when but a little child.  She married Frank VAN NORT seven years ago.  Besides her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Rose & Gladys VAN NORT, and one brother, George KIRK, of Herkimer.


DEATHS/ Dumfries & Galloway Courier 1843
Contributed by Neal Smith, from a Scottish mailing list.

Lost, in November last, in Lake Ontario, JAMES WILKINSON, of the Schooner  DETROIT of Oswego, aged 37 years-formerly of this place.


Utica Saturday Globe, dated November 10, 1917:

E. Lee COLLIER passed away November 3rd at his home in Oswego after a lingering illness.  Mr. COLLIER was born in Edmonston, son of Edward and Henrietta PALMER COLLIER.  When a very young boy he lived sometime in Sangerfield, but the greatest part of his boyhood days were passed in Hubbardsville.  August 31, 1903 he married Adelaide PROUD, of Oswego.  The couple lived but a short time in Oswego, later going to New Hartford to reside where Mr. COLLIER was foreman of the Maxwell Manufacturing Company for 10 years.

He was a member of the New Hartford Baptist Church, a member of the choir of that church and assistant superintendent of the Sunday School.  He belonged to the order of Foreter, having joined in Oswego and was also a member of the New Hartford Fire Company.  Two years ago Mr. COLLIER was obliged to give up his work on account of ill health.

Besides his wife, Mr. COLLIER leaves to mourn his loss, two daughters, Cecile and Rosamond; his father, Edward COLLIER, of Earlville, and two sisters, Mrs. Anna CLARK of Hubbardsville, and Mrs. Nettie VAN NORT, of Bridgewater.

The funeral was held at the home of his sister, Mrs. CLARK, in Hubbardsville Monday at 2:30 PM, Rev. T. Francis Smith of New Hartford Baptist Church officiating.  The bearers were the three brothers-in-law of the deceased, Charles PERKINS of Syracuse, Will SMITH of Stittville and George CLARK of this place, and Joseph CORBETT of New Hartford.  Burial was made in the family plot in the Hubbardsville Cemetery. 

John Lee
Oswego Palladium, Mon., Aug.4, 1890
 Kathi, Syracuse

         Death claimed for a victim yesterday another of Oswego¹s best known citizens in the person of John Lee.  He was born in Oswego 66 years ago and always lived here. By trade he was a ship carpenter and for many years was a ship builder with the firms of Lee & Stever and Lee & Navagh. 

          For 28 years he was United States Inspector of Hulls and at the time of his resignation in 1885 was the oldest inspector in the service. he always did his duty faithfully and conscientiously and was highly respected by marine men everywhere.  The only other office he ever held was that of Alderman in 1856.   He leaves a
wife, Isabella, a daughter, Mrs. Nicholas C. Goble of this city, and two sons, Henry Lee of Leadville, Colo., and Will A. Lee of this city.  The funeral will take place Wednesday afternoon.

 The Death Of Captain Scott

Oswego Palladium, Thurs., May 15, 1913
Kathi, Syracuse

  Drowned Crossing Mexico Bay With His Tug Yesterday 

       Loss From The Boat Was Not Discovered Until the Latter Was Within a Short Distance of Cape Vincent - Believed to have Fallen overboard When Boat took a Lurch. 

         Captain William J. Scott, master and owner of the tug Tonawanda, and one of the best known marine men on the lake, was drowned yesterday while the tug was crossing Mexico Bay.  Just where Captain Scott was lost is not known, as he was not missed from the boat for several hours after the accident happened. Life savers along the shore have been notified and the patrol will keep a look out for the body.

          News of the accident reached here about five o¹clock, when Captain P.J. McGrath, who was piloting the Tonawanda to Alexandria Bay, where she was to go on the drydock, telephoned Collector of Customs John S. Parsons from Cape Vincent. 

          The Tonawanda left here between eight and nine o¹clock yesterday morning. For some time there had been trouble with the engine, which Captain Scott had located in the stern bearing, and as the drydock at this port is not in commission, it was necessary to take the boat to Alexandria Bay for repairs. When about ten
miles in the lake, about off Nine Mile Point, the Tonawanda was  early headed towards shore with her engines stopped. 

          Captain McGrath, in his report to Collector Parsons, said that they experienced some engine trouble at that point, but when it had been straightened out they proceeded.  Captain Scott was in the wheel-house with Captain McGrath, and shortly after the tug was crossing Mexico Bay he said that he was going aft to lie down in the cabin. That was the last seen of him. it is believed that a lurch of the boat sent him over the low rail, and that he was left to drown in the cold water of the bay, as the boat proceeded on her way, the pilot and crew unaware of the accident.

          Along in the afternoon Captain McGrath sent word to one of the crew to call Captain Scott, that he was in the cabin. Steward Hugh John Radcliffe said he had not seen the Captain, and then a careful       search of the boat was made without result. The Tonawanda was then headed into Cape Vincent and the news of the accident telephoned to this city. The crew of the Tonawanda consisted of Captain Scott,  Fred Ward, engineer, Hugh John Radcliffe, steward, and a fireman. Captain McGrath was pilot.

          It was cold and raw in the lake and none of the crew were on deck, preferring to keep in the warmth of the engine-room, galley or wheelhouse, therefore none saw the accident.
          Captain Scott was born near Kingston, Ont., about sixty years ago. he came to this city with his parents when an infant, and later in life was employed as a driver on the docks. He then became boy
aboard the R.G. Post line of tugs and worked from one position to another until he was recognized as a most proficient tugman.  He had papers that qualified him as a marine engineer and papers for a pilot, so that he was equally at home in pilot house or engine room. 

          The first tug he owned was the Steve Lyons, after which he and a local syndicate bought the tug John Navagh, which Captain Scott commanded for a number of years.  Selling the latter several years ago to the Duluth Dredging Company, Captain Scott purchased the tug Tonawanda, a larger boat, which he was commanding when he was drowned.

          Few men on Lake Ontario were better known to marine men than Captain Scott. His long and constant service at this port had won him a large acquaintance, and as a rule he was popular. Warm       hearted and impetuous he had faults and virtues, the latter outweighing the former.  For a number of years past he had been the only tug at this port and he was on duty almost constantly during the season of navigation. Few men were as expert in handling a tug and his position will be hard to fill.

          Captain Scott is survived by his mother, six daughters, a son, two brothers and two sisters. It was said today that the tug Tonawanda has proceeded to Alexandria Bay for repairs. 

Back to Obituaries

Back to Oswego County GenWeb

Copyright © 1999 / 2000 Laura Perkins & Contributors herein
All Rights Reserved