Search billions of records on


Oswego Palladium, March 29, 1875
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

 Robert F. Child

Yesterday we announced the sudden and serious sickness of Captain Robert F. Child of  this city; how brief the space between life and the grave is made appallingly clear by the announcement of his death, which occurred about 11 o¹clock last night at the residence of Dr. Scott, where he has lived since the death of    Mrs. Child.

The captain has not been entirely sound in ealth since a severe sickness two of three years ago, but was ordinarily well till the latter part of last week. Saturday, and Saturday evening he was down street, but then had a strange and rather frequent bleeding of the mouth. Later the symptoms of Purpura Hemorrhagica - liver spots on the skin, scattered in patches over the thighs, arms and trunk with occasional hemorrhages from the
mouth and nostrils - appeared, and his decline was rapid.  He was unconscious for several hours. 

Captain Child was born, we believe, in New York City, but came to Oswego in the early part of his life. For several years he was a sailing master on the Lakes and afterwards commanded various steam vessels of the Lake Ontario Steamboat Company. For a good many years he had performed the duties of a deputy collector in the Oswego Custom House, and had a sort of general oversight of the outside business of the Customs in this district, in which position he was very useful on account of his experience and reliability, and which position he retained at his death.

He had long been a devoted member of Christ Church and was for many years a warden of that church. he was an honest and honorable man, trusty in business, a safe adviser and a man, who, to all appearances,
shaped his life by the best understanding of the rules of morality and religion. He leaves many sincere mourners, though, in this city, we believe, no very near relatives. We do not know how we can better express the public estimate of Capt. Child¹s character than by saying that he was a truly worthy man.

Oswego Palladium, June 8, 1891
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Captain "Tom" Collins

 The shipping in the harbor have colors at half mast today, out of respect to the memory of Captain Thomas Collins, formerly of this city, who died at his home in Buffalo Saturday night of heart failure. Fewer the lakes were as well known as Captain Collins. 

He was born in the Fifth ward in this city, 59 years ago. His father was John Collins and the family of children consisted of Thomas, Edward, John and Matthew and two sisters, Margaret and Ellen. When only a boy
Captain Collins ran away from home and went to sea, and for a number of years was engaged in the West Indies sugar and cotton trade. 
 While sailing up the River Amazon, South America, on one occasion, the vessel's crew was set upon by natives and all were killed, excepting Captain Collins. Returning to Oswego, Captain Collins married and was
master of several sailing vessels out of this port. His last command from this port was the bark Cyrus. In 1860 he moved to Buffalo and for several years he commanded vessels on the upper lakes. Retiring from sailing he
embarked in the commission and scalping business and made a snug little fortune.
 He was a man of a bright, cheerful and jovial disposition and made friends rapidly. To Oswego sailormen he was at all times ready to lend a hand, and no better friend did they have on the entire chain of lakes than "tom" Collins. As a story teller he had no superior, and he was always found surrounded by a jovial set of boon
companions. A few years ago he preparatively interested in politics and at one time represented his ward in the Common Council. He was twice married. His second wife and one daughter, Miss Mary Collins, survive him. 

Oswego Palladium, Tues., June 9, 1891

"Tom" Collins' Last Hours.

A Kind Friend Whom Oswego's Vesselmen Will Miss 

 Buffalo Courier: Captain Thomas Collins, whose death was announced yesterday, attended to his business all Saturday as usual, feeling and looking better than for many a day. At home, after supper, he was uncommonly lively and cheerful, anticipating the jolly time he would have yesterday fishing down the riveter. About dark he
went to Love's livery stable, only a few steps from his home, where he had been in the habit of going for a chat and a smoke. Shortly after ten o'clock he opened his own door at No. 449 Niagara street, and said in a
broken voice, "O, I am sick. Send for a doctor."  A little blood spurted from his mouth, and he seemed to choke, Dr. Ring, who lives nearly opposite, was called, but before he arrived. He had died from heart disease, to which he had been pre-disposed. 

 Capt. Collins was born May 4, 1832, in Oswego. He began sailing on the lakes when but 12 years old on the schooner Charles Smyth of Oswego. After a short experience he went to the coast, where he remained for six months, then returning to Oswego. Resuming sailing, at the age of 17 he was mate on the schooner Young Leopold. Again going to salt water, he remained on it for nearly eight years, sailing to all parts of the world. He was wrecked on the coast of Spain, but his pluck pulled him through. In 1852 he started from San Francisco with an expedition to the headwaters of the Amazon.

 Then he made for the old home again in Oswego, and took up lake sailing for good. First he commanded the schooner Tracy J. Bronson, owned by the Winslows of Cleveland;  next, in order, the big Mechanic and Bark John Sweeney, owned by W.O. Brown of Buffalo; the schooner Contest, owned by Capt. James Smith of Cleveland; the schooner Sirius, owned by Capt. Parker of Chicago; one other vessel the name of which could not be recalled, and last the schooner American Union, which he quit in the fall of 1868. Capt. Collins was a good sailor - brave, fearless, and intelligent. He handsome knowledge of navigation as a science, and using sound judgment generally, it is not strange that his nautical career was successful.

 I'd Captain Collins went into the vessel brokerage business with Captain Peter J.Kenny. The latter withdrew after a short time and Captain Collins continued it until his death. He was very successful and had a monopoly
of business for Oswego vessels. In 1874 he was elected Alderman from the Eighth ward on the Democratic ticket. He was re-elected in 1876 and 1878. In 1883 he was defeated for Street Commissioner by a small majority. 

Captain Collins, like the typical sailor, had a rather bluff exterior,but a warm, kind heart. He was assessed
strong likes and dislikes, which made him a valuable friend and unpleasant enemy.  He was the sole of good nature, and a most agreeable companion. Especially fond was he of shooting or fishing, and often were his
friends remembered with evidences of his skill. To his family and relatives Captain Collins was most devoted, leaving nothing within his power undone to further their happiness.

 Captain Collins came to Buffalo in 1862, and in 1865 he was married to an estimable young lady who survives him, with one daughter. Widow and daughter will have the sympathy of many friends in their great and sudden bereavement. A brother, Edward Collins of Akron, and a sister, Mrs. Thomas Finn of this city, are the only other relatives. Captain Collins was a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association.  The funeral took place in Buffalo this morning. 

Buffalo Enquirer: The crowd of vesselmen who generally meet and swap stories, and smoke in "Tom" Collins' office every day were disconsolate today. Every boat captain on the lakes seemed to know the bluff, hearty
old mariner, and made it a point whenever in port to"drop around to Tom's," where business and yarns were dispensed with equal sharpness. Captain Collins said only the other day to an Enquirer man that he hoped
hr would not have to be sick a year before he died. "When I go;" he said, "I want to take my bag and jump." The captain had his wish.

Oswego Commercial Times, Tues., April 13, 1858
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse
Hunter Crane

 Death Of An Old And Valued Citizen. - It was our melancholy duty yesterday to record the death of another of our oldest , most prominent and respected citizens. Hunter Crane died at his residence, in this city, on Sunday morning, the 11th inst.,  between seven and eight o clock after a somewhat protracted illness. Mr. Crane was born at South East, Dutchess county, on the 1st of March, 1791, and consequently had but just passed the 67th year of his age. 

 He embarked in commerce in early life, the junior partner of the venerable Samuel F. Hooker, at Sackets Harbor, who still survives him, though many years his senior. His house had extensive dealings with the officers and government of the United States, connected with the Army and navy in the War of 1812; and subsequently Mr. Crane and his family proceeded with a detachment of the Army to Fort Howard, Green Bay, where he resided for two years, occupied as Army sutler. 

 On his return from the Western Frontier, Mr. Crane settled at Salina, and was connected with extensive mercantile operations for several years, after which he established himself at Oswego in 1842, where he spent the remainder of his life, actively engaged in the commerce of the city and lakes, charged in addition with the agency of several insurance companies.

 Mr.  Crane has been connected with the commerce of the Lake Counties for almost half a century, and has witnessed its unparalleled growth from infancy to its present magnitude; and whatever of material wealth he may have left to his heirs, he leaves them a legacy more valuable than gold, the reputation of a sagacious and talented merchant of unimpeachable integrity.

In domestic life he was benevolent and charitable, a true and faithful friend, a kind and indulgent parent and a devoted husband. in death his memory will be cherished by a community which, in life, ever esteemed him
for his excellent qualities of head and heart.  Mr. Crane has always been in sentiment Episcopalian - to the Episcopal Church, in its doctrines and forms, he was greatly attached. Not having been baptized in childhood he was not a communicant of the Church, though always a devout and conscientious worshiper until within
the last few months. he had long felt the importance of something more than he had done to give him the comfort of a reasonable religious hope. 

 He was baptized into the Church in February last, before his last illness, and afterwards received the Holy Communion at his house. Since his baptism there has been a marked change, not so much in his outward conduct,which had long been that of a conscientious man, as in the cheerful state of his mind in view of the steps he had taken to identify himself with the church. 

 He had now the Christian hope, and he was no longer reserved on the subject of religion. It became the topic of frequent conversation with his family as it was the uppermost thing in his thoughts, and he was ready for any personal question which might be asked him upon that solemn subject. He enjoyed the conversation and prayers of his Christian friends, many of whom have been to see him in the course of his sickness. But he seemed to enjoy most of all the solemn forms to which he had become familiarized, and frequently asked for the service of his Church to be read at his bed side.

And thus he passed away, giving tokens to all around him, upon which his friends will delight to dwell, of the sustaining and comforting power of a calm and unwavering trust in the merits of his Redeemer.

Oswego Palladium, Monday, August 26, 1918
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Sudden Death of Commodore Thomas Crimmins

Found Dead at His Home This Morning - Apoplexy Caused the End - Widely Known in Marine Circles.

  Thomas Crimmins, sixty-eight, one of the last of the old-time Oswego marine men, was found death at his home, No. 133 W. Schuyler street, this morning at six o¹clock by his wife¹s sister, Mrs. Margaret Stone.  He was found on the floor of the bathroom. Dr. A.C. Baxter was summoned and after an examination decided he had been dead for some time and gave the cause as apoplexy.  Coroner C.J. Vowinkel was also called
and decided than an inquest would be unnecessary. 

 Mr. Crimmins, who has always been in good health, came home Saturday night complaining that he was not feeling well. Despite his usual custom of taking a walk along the lake front, he stayed at home all day yesterday and went to bed last night a little week. Some time during the night he went into the bathroom and was stricken there. 

 As Commodore² Mr. Crimmins was probably the most widely known marine man on Lake Ontario and he was as well liked as he was known. In fact, in Oswego marine circles he was practically an institution.
he knew every captain and boat owner that plied the lake and whenever any marine man wanted anything
done in Oswego he turned to the Commodore, who was glad to lend his aid.  He was always a genial, whole-souled man and the news of his sudden death today shocked his large number of friends.

 Commodore Crimmins was a good marine man because his heart was in his business. He liked the lakes and in the old days when scores of Canadian schooners used to play into this port he could tell which one was coming as far as the eye, with the aid of glasses, could reach. to him each boat had its distinctive rig. Even to the end he was well informed on the boats that plied here and he did not count a day complete without a little trip to the lake banks for a survey of the harbor and the craft moored there.  He had many interesting mementos of the busy lake days at his home and a barometer that forecast the ever changing weather
unfailingly. If Commodore Crimmins told you it was liable to rain, you could bank on it that it would.

 He started his marine career as a boy when he entered the employ of Morgan M. Wheeler, who had a large tug business here. Later he went with Smith & Post, and also became part owner of the tugs Ferris and Avery. For many years he was collector for the Oswego Towing Association and also associated with W.D. Allen. Ten years ago when the vessels began to disappear and the tugs went out of the harbor to other ones, Mr. Crimmins became collector for the New York Telephone Company and later went with the People¹s Gas and Electric Company, for whom he was working at the time of his death.

 He was born in and had always been a resident of the First Ward and had always been a member of St. Mary¹s Church. Surviving him are his wife, three daughters, Matte, Irene and Mrs. William Costta, and one son, Thomas Crimmins.

Oswego Palladium, Thurs., Feb. 17, 1890
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Captain William Schuyler Malcolm

Announcement is made to-day of the death of Captain William Schuyler Malcolm, one of Oswego s oldest and best known citizens. For the past two or three years Captain  Malcolm has not enjoyed the best of health, and most of that time he had been confined to the house. His death, therefore, was not unexpected, but rather looked for.

For sixty-five years Captain Malcolm was a resident of Oswego and his career has been closely connected with the city s growth and prosperity. He has been an honored member of society and his death removes another of the fast-disappearing land-marks.

William Schuyler Malcolm was born in Utica, N.Y., February 22, 1810, and removed to Oswego with his mother and step-father in 1825, since which time he has been a resident of this city. Captain Malcolm was the son of Samuel Bayard Malcolm and Catherine Van Rensselaer Schuyler. His father was descended from a powerful Scotch family, one of whom - Malcolm of Balbeadle - was created a knight baronet by King Charles the Second. General Malcolm, grand-father of the deceased, served through the evolutionary
Warwith distinguished courage, commanding a regiment at the battle of White Plains
and taking part as a general officer in the many subsequent engagements.

After the war he was a member of the State Legislature from the city of New York for three terms. On his mother s side Captain Malcolm was descended from a family that for more than one hundred and fifty years exercised an immense influence over the colony and State of New York. She was the daughter of General Philip Schuyler, whose father, Philip Petersen Schuyler, an enterprising young man from Amsterdam, who in 1659 made his home at Beverwyck (now Albany). The last named was a man of mark under the last Dutch Governor of new Netherland and the first English Governors of New York. His second son, Colonel Peter Schuyler, was mayor of Albany for twelve successive years and in 1691, after the destruction of Schenectady, he led a body of Mohawks and Dutch colonists through the wilderness of Northern New York and into Canada inflicting a heavy loss on the French in retaliation for that terrible massacre.

The history of the Schuyler family and the early history of New York State are so closely interwoven that justice cannot be done in a brief newspaper sketch. The Schuylers were among the foremost leaders in the long civil opposition to British tyranny, and when war was declared, they placed life and fortune at the service of the colonies. In civil and military life they held important positions and it was Colonel Peter Schuyler who
defended Oswego against De Montcalm. Philip Schuyler, the distinguished American General and Statesmen, one of the most active and useful officers engaged in the old French war, and his important services in Oswego county are known to every school boy.

Captain Malcolm s father was bred to the law, became the Private Secretary to President John Adams and was honored with the especial friendship of that eminent patriot. About 1801 he married Catherine Van Rensselaer Schuyler and removed to Utica,  where they remained until 1812, when they moved to
Stillwater, Saratoga county, where Captain Malcolm s father died in 1814 and in 1822 his mother married her cousin, Major  James Cochran, who was surgeon general of the Union army during the Revolution. 

By her first husband Mrs. Cochran had four children, two of whom died in infancy. Captain Malcolm was educated for a civil engineer but preferring a nautical life studied navigation and at the age of 10 went to sea.
At the end of two years, having made voyages to Smyrna, Leghorn and the West Indies, he returned home and immediately went to commanding vessels on the lakes. For twenty-five years he was closely identified with the shipping interests of this port and commanded numerous vessels both sail and steam among the latter being the steamers Oswego and United States and the propeller Chicago, in their day considered the finest vessels on fresh water.

For a short time during the  Patriot war,  of 1838-39, Captain Malcolm acted as Deputy United States marshal, being especially selected on account of his knowledge of the frontier, to prevent violations of the neutrality laws. Secret lodges were formed all along the frontier and supplies furnished the patriots. In November 1838 the steamer United States then considered the pride of the inland lakes lay in the harbor at Oswego under the command of Captain James Van Cleve. A large number of Patriots were on board and the
Captain was unwilling to set forth down the St. Lawrences. Both of the owners decided she must go, however, and so she did. Two schooners were met at the entrance to the St. Lawrence which the owners
said should be taken to Ogdensburg. The United States got one on either side of her and started  with the tow. In a few minutes the hatches were raised and a large number of armed men swarmed out of the hold and boarded the steamer. Captain Van Cleve wanted to put the steamer and schooners ashore in Alexandria Bay, but the owners would not consent. Captain Malcolm in his official capacity, was keeping an eye on the Patriots when the United States arrived.  The town swarmed with Patriots and it was noised around that they
would use the United States for the purpose of making an incursion into Canada. The captain and engineer left the vessel. A crowd of Patriots took possession of it and began seeking for a pilot. Captain Malcolm was espied, seized and forced aboard the vessel to pilot the steamer. The latter was soon on its voyage of invasion but Captain Malcolm' s services were not at first required. Most of the force on board were landed at  Windmill Point three miles below Prescott. As the steamer neared Ogdensburg she was fired into by the armed British steamer Experiment, the ball striking the head of the wheelsman and instantly killing him.  Take the wheel, Captain Malcolm,  exclaimed a patriot Colonel,  the man is killed. 
 Seeing that the vessel would be destroyed unless he did so, Captain Malcolm stepped into the wheel house, and, standing  over the prostrate form of the dead man, guided the steamer amid a storm  of bullets into the
mouth of the Oswegatchie and ran her on a bar. He immediately took away parts of her engine so as to prevent her being used by the raiders again.

In 1843 Captain Malcolm was married to Eliza Lawrence, daughter of Richard Lawrence, Esq., who died in 1865. Captain Malcolm was elected one of the first Aldermen of the city in 1848, but aside from this had taken little active part in politics. In 1854 he was appointed an assistant engineer in the United States Civil Service, being stationed in this city. This position he held until 1869 since which time he has had a less active life than before.

Captain Malcolm was the father of seven children: Catharine Schuyler Malcolm, wife of E.G. Baxter; Mary Lawrence, wife of Douglas Benson, of Erie, Pa.; Philip Schuyler Malcolm, Mrs. Emma Metcalf, Richard
Lawrence Malcolm, William S. Malcolm Jr. and Anna Van Rensselaer Malcolm.

For many years Captain Malcolm was warden of Christ church and has always manifested a deep interest in its welfare. Few men have lived a more active life, few men had a larger number of friends and acquaintances, and until three or four years ago few men indeed displayed more vigor. 

  See Biography of Captain William S. Malcoln.

Oswego Daily Palladium, Friday, Nov. 15, 1912
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Gilbert Mollison, Sr.

 Gilbert Mollison, Sr., died at ten o clock last night at his home, 92 West Fifth street, in his ninety-sixth year. The end was unexpected and the announcement called forth expressions of regret from many in all walks of
life. No man in the community was better known or more greatly respected.  For sixty-nine years he has been active in the affairs of the city; been connected with many private business enterprises and nearly all the
eleemosynary and educational institutions of the city. A man of strict probity, abstemious in all the affairs of life, he had lived to a remarkable age, active in daily business life until about a year ago, since which time
he had lived quietly at his home, where he had daily intercourse friends and all acquaintances who called upon him. Despite his great age his mental and physical vigor were remarkable, the end coming in the fullness of

 Born in Bound Brook, N.J.,  May 16th, 1817, the son of Jeanette Van Norden and Joseph Mollison, he was educated in the public schools of his native place. When a young man he went to New York city and became a clerk in a dry goods store. From New York he went to Utica and was associated there with a Mr. Farwell, who was a Civil Engineer. In 1843 he came to Oswego and became interested in the forwarding business. Later he was in the milling business with O.H. Hastings under the firm name of Mollison & Hastings, their
milling property on the Varick Canal being one of the finest on the Oswego river. In 1870 he sold this interest and the firm of Mollison & Dowdle was formed, James Dowdle succeeding Mr. Hastings, who continued the
milling business, the large insurance business being conducted Mr. Mollison and Mr. Dowdle.

 Almost from the first Mr. Mollison took a deep interest in local affairs. He was prominent as a member of the First Presbyterian church and an elder in that society. In 1846 he helped reorganize the Oswego County
Bible Society.  The only political office he ever held came in 1848, when he was elected Alderman of the First ward with James Platt, who was elected Mayor. During the same year he helped in organizing the oswego Board of Trade, and in 1864 he was one of the organizers of the Second national Bank and elected
a director. He was one of the organizers and of the first trees of the Riverside Cemetery Association; served as a trustee of the Oswego Library since 1868, when he was elected to succeed Henry Fitzhugh, who had
moved from this city.

 Mr. Mollison was one of the founders of Grace Presbyterian Church, has been one of the elders of the society and has served as Superintendent of the Sunday school. When the Local Board of the Oswego State Normal and Training school was organized in 1860, Mr. Mollison was elected a member and by his associates he was made President, a position that he has held to the present, a record probably to be equaled by no man in the State. He has been active in creating and developing the greatest of Oswego' s educational

 Mr. Mollison married Miss Harriet W. Condit, daughter of the late Rev. Robert W. Condit, for forty years pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, in 1846. Mrs. Mollison died eleven years ago. To that union five
children were born, two of whom survive, Gilbert Mollison, of this city, and Mrs. William H. Herrick, of New Rochelle, N.Y. 

 The funeral will occur from the family home in West Fifth street Saturday afternoon at three o clock. The Rev. Dr. Steele, pastor of Grace Church, will officiate and internment will be private in Riverside Cemetery.

Oswego Daily Times, Friday, Nov. 15, 1912
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Gilbert Mollison

   Gilbert Mollison, one of the oldest residents of this city, and one of the last business men who flourished in the fifties when Oswego was at the height of a commercial career, passed away yesterday at his residents, 92
West Fifth street. The end came peacefully, Mr. Mollison passing into a long and painless sleep which terminated in death, although his vitality was such that several times he rallied when his attendants and members of the family at his bedside believed that the end had come. 

   Mr. Mollison s life was a truly wonderful one, not alone in its length but in the ceaseless activity which he displayed in his business life up to a few months ago. It was a life full of honors, and honorable dealing, and Mr. Mollison from the time he first came to this city until his death was an example of the best in business and home life. 

   He was born in Bound Brook, N.J., May 16, 1817, and was therefore in his ninety-sixth year.  He was educated in the common schools of that village and when a young man went to New York City, where for a time he was a clerk in a small dry goods store. The work not being to his taste, he went up state to Utica, where he for a time was associated with a civil engineer.  He remained there until 1843, when commerce commenced to pick up on the canal and the lakes, and he was one of the first to seek a fortune in the
forwarding business, and he selected Oswego as a strategic point and located here. From the start his business prospered and he soon engaged in the milling business with O.H. Hastings under the firm name of Mollison & Hastings, owning and operating the Cumberland Mills. In this he became one of the leading business men of the city and in 1865 he was one of the committee which organized the Oswego Board of Trade, serving as its president in 1878.

  When the milling business moved westward with the settling of the west and the opening of new wheat fields, he went into the coal and general insurance business under the firm name of Mollison * Dowdle and he continued this business to the day of his death.

  From the time he came to this city Mr. Mollison took a deep interest in public affairs and was elected alderman of from the First ward in 1847 and in the following year when the city was incorporated he was
re-elected in 1849. In 1854 he was elected from the ward to the Board of Supervisors but resigned on account of pressing business affairs.

   He was a member of the Board of Education and when the Normal School was located in this city in 1867 he became a member of the Board of managers and continued to serve until his death, the past twenty years acting as president.

   He was one of the organizers of the Oswego County Bible Society and was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, also serving as elder and trustee in that church. he later was instrumental in organizing Grace Presbyterian Church,  in the affairs of which church he took a deep interest. He served several terms as superintendent of the Sunday-school and was one of the elders.  He was on the first board of trustees of the Oswego City Library and of the Oswego Orphan Asylum, and was one of the body of men which organized the Oswego Rural Cemetery Association, which purchased Riverside cemetery and made it one of the largest cemeteries in the city. 

   He was one of the first believers in railroads as a means of transportation to replace the lakes and canals and was the first president of the Lake Shore Road from this city to Lewiston, now a part of the Ontario Division of the New York Central lines. he was a member of the Board of Directors on the Oswego & Syracuse Railroad, and one of the first wood burning locomotives was named the  Gilbert Mollison. 
 In short, Mr. Mollison was the last survivor of the business men of the past who made their fortunes in the early days of Oswego s maritime and milling prosperity and he gave generously of his time and funds to
help the hundred and one charitable and business organizations in which he was interested.

   He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. William H. Herrick of New York City, and one son, Gilbert Mollison, Jr., of this city, and by four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. The funeral services will be held
tomorrow afternoon from the family residence at 3 o clock, Rev. Dr. S.W. Steele officiating.

Oswego Palladium, May 3, 1907
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse
Death Of Brower Morgan

 A Veteran Ship Carpenter Passes Away.

    Brower W. Morgan, a well known resident of this city, died at an early hour this morning at his home, 168 West Seneca St. He was eight-three years old and for eighty-one years lived continuously in this city.  Up to a year or so ago he had worked at his trade as a ship carpenter and for many years was employed at Goble's shipyard in this city.  He helped build most of the Oswego schooners which plied the lake in past years, and
some of those now engaged in active trade had at one time or another been caulked or repaired by Brower Morgan, who, perhaps was the oldest ship carpenter on the lakes. The funeral will be held Sunday at his

Oswego Palladium, Tues., May 30, 1876
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Captain John Redfield

An Old Sailor Gone

  A telegram was received in this city today stating that Captain John Redfield, formerly of this city, died in Chicago last night. At one time no captain on the lakes had a brighter future before him than had Captain
Redfield. he was a thoroughly competent seaman and during his many years as commander never met with an accident.

  A naturally free disposition took him away from his mooring and he drifted down for several years a wreck of his former self. When he was master of the schooner Gem of Chicago, he broke through the practice of consuming two months on a trip to and from Chicago and during several years was noted for his steamboat time he made with a sailing vessel.

  He was kind hearted to a fault and was true as steel, before he fell, to a friend. Probably no man who ever sailed out of Oswego was better known than  Jack  Redfield. he was born, if we mistake not, in New Jersey, close to the sea shore and followed the ocean. He leaves three sons and one daughter.

Oswego Palladium, Mon.,  May 8, 1876
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

John Sullivan

Death of a Man who Assisted in Capturing Oswego in 1814.
 Singular Coincidence.

   Last Saturday afternoon an old man, John Sullivan, who had seen ninety-one years, died on board the canal boat John F. Hager, then lying in the East Cove under Fort Ontario. John Sullivan, as his name denotes, was an Irishman, and served as a soldier several years in the British army.

 He was under Lieut. Col. Fisher at the capture of Oswego, may 6th, 1814, in which engagement he was a participant, and after the capture, deserted and remained in the United States. He remembered distinctly the landing of the troops, the fight between the Americans and British on the ground east of Fort Ontario, and assisted in burying some of his companions in the burial lot, hear where the stone quarry now is, in the
fort grounds. 

   It is rather a singular coincidence, to say the least, that the old many should die underneath the guns of a fort which he assisted in capturing just sixty-two years before.  He lived on the boat with his daughter and

Oswego Commercial Times, Sat., May 8, 1858
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

 Captain John T. Trowbridge.

 We regret to announce to our readers the death of Capt. John T. Trowbridge, an old and respected citizen, for many years identified with the commercial interests of Oswego and Rochester, which took place in Racine County, Wisconsin, to which place he removed with his family in 1840.  Capt. Trowbridge, when but twenty years of age, had the command of the ship Thomas, in which he sailed in 1811 from New Haven for Madagascar. 

 When off the Cape of Good Hope, his vessel was captured by the British ship Leopard, into which his crew was at once drafted, and the Thomas, in which himself, his first mate and steward alone were left, was placed under charge of a prize crew consisting of a Lieutenant, Midshipman, four English sailors and twenty-four Lascars, to be taken to the Cape. 

 Three days after their capture, the Captain, Mate and Steward contrived to master the prize crew, and regain possession of their vessel. In the course of the struggle the Lieutenant, in charge of the prize, was killed. Capt.
Trowbridge then steered for Madagascar, and got in safety to Batavia, which was immediately after attacked and taken by the British, by whom his vessel was again seized.  There he remained for some time, under a feigned name, and became intimate with the officers of the Navy, who were very much ashore- without creating the least suspicion. During this period he employed himself in recovering treasure out of vessels sunk on those shores, and in this pursuit realized $350,000. One day at this time, a midshipman happened to be in his room standing behind the door, when an old friend came in who knew Capt. Trowbridge¹s real name, and thinking he was alone, unguardedly addressed him by it.

 The midshipman, immediately coming forward, expressed his deep regret at being unintentionally put in possession of a secret which his duty as an officer compelled him to divulge, even at the expense of every tie of friendship,  but managed to give Capt. Trowbridge time to get his treasure on board and make his escape, in which he was so closely pursued by the British cruisers that to secure his treasure, he landed and buried it on the Island of Java, and was a very short time afterwards taken prisoner by an English man of war, and taken back to Batavia, where, after being  closely confined for some months, he was sent to Calcutta and confined in the celebrated Black Hole thee, for eleven months, after which time he was sent in irons to England, and kept there till after the general peace in 1816, when he returned to Oswego, after a vain search
for the treasure he had buried at Java.

 From the year 1816 till 1840, he was identified with the marine and commercial interests of Oswego and Rochester, until he removed to Wisconsin, where  he resided until his death, enjoying the unlimited confidence of his fellow citizens, by whom he was elected for many years a member of the Assembly of that State, and held the office of Post Master till his death. 

 Capt. John T. Trowbridge was a brother of our respected fellow citizens, Capt. Elias Trowbridge, in whose bereavement a large number of our oldest merchants, the compeers of his late lamented brother, sincerely sympathize. The deceased at the time of his death was about 78 years of age, and resided at a place near Racine, called Trowbridge. 

The Trowbridge Genealogy by Francis Bacon Trowbridge, New Haven, Conn., 1908

P. 80 Capt. John Todd Trowbridge, born October, 23, 1780, in New Haven, Conn.; died May 3, 1858, in Dover, Wis., married -----,1803, in New Haven,  Polly Miles, daughter of Capt. William and Elizabeth (---) Miles, born Sept. 1, 1780, in New Haven; died March 3, 1866 in Racine, Wisconsin.

 John T. Trowbridge at an early age entered a seafaring life. He rose in his profession, and while still a young man became a ship master, sailing out of New Haven. He was elected a member of Hiram Lodge, No. 1, F. and A.M., in 1808, and later of Franklin Chapter, No. 2, R.A.M., of New Haven.

 During the War of 1812, while captain of the ship Thomas  of New Haven, his vessel was captured off the Isle of France by a British squadron, which, after taking from the ship all hands, except Captain Trowbridge, Mr. Charles Peterson of New Haven, who was his brother-in-law and first officer, and Benjamin Applewhite, the cook, put the prize crew of twenty-one men on board, and ordered her to the Cape of Good Hope
as a prize. 

 On the passage, Captain Trowbridge and Mr. Peterson planned her recapture, and succeeded in their design, and proceeded to Madagascar, where they put the prize crew, on shore, having induces some
Lascars, composing some of the prize crew, to join them as seamen after the recapture of the ship. here the
ship was captured again by a French frigate, under the Berlin and Milan decrees, and sent to the Isle of France. The French governor restored the ship and part of the the cargo to Captain Trowbridge. While lying there the island was taken by the British. 

 Captain Trowbridge succeeded in selling the ship and cargo, to avoid confiscation, and made his escape to Batavia. After an eventful period of a hear or two there, and a most daring enterprise on the coast of New Holland, where he received, by the aid of divers, upwards of $250,000 in specie from a sunken wreck, he was again captured,with all his specie, by his old enemies, the British, being taken by a frigate and carried to Java, and afterwards to Calcutta, where he was imprisoned in the famous Black Hole of that city.

 Finally he was taken to England, as a prisoner of war, and confined in Dartmoor prison, where he was at the time of the massacre of April 6, 1815. On news of peace, Captain Trowbridge was released, on the 10th of April, and arrived at New York June 5, 1815, after having been absent five and a half years.

 Fond of enterprise, he removed to the West, and settled at Rochester, N.Y., in 1816, where he was for many years at the head of the well-known commercial house of John T. Trowbridge & Co. While engaged in business in Rochester, he established a branch in Oswego. He also had an interest in the Erie canal and owned or controlled about eighteen vessels on the Lakes, and was called the  Commodore of the Lakes. 

      (P.81)  After accumulating an ample fortune, the vissitudes of life again followed him in the loss of property, and in 1836 he removed with his two youngest sons to Racine county, Wis., and took up land in Dover, twenty miles west of Racine, on the shore of Lake Michigan, and six miles east of Burlington, now a thriving town, on Fox river, which crossed the west end of the county. The main traveled road between these
two places ran across all three of their farms, which were located side by side.

 In the winter of 1836-7 they built on the captain s farm a log house, about 20 c 50 feet and one and one-half stories in height. For many years it was the largest house in the vicinity and became a favorite  stopping place,  or inn, for the pioneer farmers living further west, who hauled wheat to market at Racine.   Some conception of the conditions under which the pioneers of that region did business may be gained when it is understood that there were men who started from Rock river, sixty miles from the lake shore, with a load of wheat to market, and; if they chanced to be detained on the road a day or two, it sometimes was the case that the
proceeds of the load did not pay the expenses of the trip. I have known men in my time in Minnesota who
hauled wheat 150 miles to market * 

 Captain Trowbridge served as a member of the Wisconsin territorial legislative body, and helped to prepare the way for statehood. He kept post office in the corner of hi log house for several years. he resided in Racine
county the remainder of his life, surrounded by his family and many friends, enjoying the veneration and respect of all. It is doubtful if a more eventful history could be written of any person than of Captain Trowbridge.

 He was a brave, generous and honest man, in faith and practice a Christian. During all the trials an vicissitudes of life, he maintained a good profession. On his removal to the West, almost a wilderness, and the
country, where he was, being destitute of the means of worship in the sanctuary, it was his practice to hold religious services in his house, to which the people for miles distant resorted for worship, until the country
became settled. He was a man whose influence was felt and appreciated in the community. He died, peaceful and happy, in assurance of a blessed immortality.

                              Children:  (1)

I.  Henrietta Mary, b. Jan. 11, 1804; m. July 22, 1833, Milton Moore of Racine, Wis.
ii  John William, b. April 12, 1807
iii.  Grace Ann, b. Aug. 12, 1809; m. Oct. 7, 2828, Dr. Daniel Marble of Newark, Ohio.
iv. Eliju Frederick, b. Mar. 1, 1816.
v. Stewart Hudson, b. Nov. 14, 1817.
vi. Henry Wardell, b. Oct. 14, 1819.

*Letter from his grandson, Mr. Miles M. Trowbridge (1)i-iii born in New Haven, Conn.; iv-vi in
Rochester, N.Y.

(Note: Page 82 also briefly discusses his brother, Elias, baptized Oct. 24, 1790 in New Haven, Conn., died Sept. 17, 1862 in Oswego, N.Y.  He was previously a sea captain in the West India trade. Married May 6, 1816 in New Haven, Harriet Huntington, daughter of Asa and Lydia (Hine) Huntington, b. Sept. 22, 1795, in  Woodbridge, Conn., died Sept. 2, 1887 in Oswego, N.Y.  A son, Charles E.,  born March 3, 1823, was lost aboard the schooner Henry Clay when it foundered off Niagara in 1831. 

Oswego Palladium, March 30, 1876
Contributed by: Kathi from Syracuse

Captain Edmund Welch.

   Yesterday Captain Edmund Welch, one of the oldest and at one time one of the most prominent captains on the lakes, died. Capt. Welch was born on the island of Newfoundland, in October, 1815, and being left an orphan at an early age,  went to sea.  After spending some years on the salt water, he came to the lakes
and to Oswego in 1835, and being a thorough sailor, was promoted to a captaincy in 1838. For many years it was the common belief among sailors that Captain Welch jumped the west pier with his vessel, the Charles Crooks, of this port, in the fall of 1843, but before his death he explained the matter.

  The vessel broached to several times in entering the harbor, and narrowly escaped going ashore below the east pier. The night was dark and frequent and heavy snow squalls prevailed, making it almost impossible to see the piers or light at times. As the schooner neared the east pier she was caught by a succession of huge waves and carried inside the harbor, but not without damage, for she struck the end of the east pier with such violence that several of her planks were broken. 

  Among the sailors on the Crooks at the time was John Baltes of this city.

  The only time the Captain ever beached a vessel was in the spring of 1849, when the schooner Albion, owned by Sylvester Doolittle, after breaking her centre board drifted ashore with anchor down three miles this side of Port Dalhousie. Although the vessel¹s stern was out of water when the storm subsided, the captain, his crew, and several farmers, whom he employed, went to work with such good will that the schooner was released and gone before one of Mr. Doolittle;s propellers with pumps and other apparatus
arrived at the scene.

   Captain Welch was the Commodore of T. Wyman's fleet, and his word was law with the employer. He came out in the propeller Lawrence,, of which he was part owner, and had the brightest future before him of any sailor on the lakes, but he fell through liquor and became a sad wreck. Some four or five years ago he joined the Priory of St. Paul, a temperance organization, and up to the time of his death was a faithful member. On shipboard he was looked upon by his sailors as harsh but still just. he recognized merit, and
probably no man assisted more young sailors in gaining captaincies. In his palmy days he was charitable and ever willing to assist the needy.

Back to Obituaries

Back to Oswego County GenWeb

Copyright © 2000 Laura Perkins & Contributors herein
All Rights Reserved