Hannibal Historical Society was formed in 1979 for the purpose of preserving
the history of the area. The organization is located in the historic Hannibal
Community Center on Oswego Street in the Village of Hannibal. Originally,
the building was a Baptist Church constructed in 1827, but now serves as
the home of the Hannibal Free Library, the Hannibal Senior Citizens and
a nursery school in addition to the Hannibal Historical Society.
Society maintains a permanent museum collection in an upstairs room and
features various other temporary exhibits within the community. An
ever expanding genealogy file has also been generated cataloging Hannibal
surnames. The Society maintains a sizable slide file of historic
pictures from the Hannibal area. Most recently, the Society has been
digitizing historic Hannibal pictures. Currently, the digitized photograph
collection is approaching 1000 pictures. At some point, it is the
goal of the Society to digitize its existing slide collection for future
Power Point presentations. Currently, one Power Point presentation
has been developed for use with the local fourth grade local history curriculum.
of the most prominent activities of the Society in recent years has been
the extensive research associated with the publication of the local history
book, "Hannibal History in Pictures and Prose". The book was partially
funded by a decentralization grant from the New York State Council on the
Arts administered by Arts and Culture for Oswego County.
for the summer months, the Society holds its regular meetings at 7:30 PM
on the fourth monday of the month. A program of historical interest is
presented at each meeting followed by refreshments. The meetings are open
to all who are interested in preserving and sharing information concerning
current President of the Hannibal Historical Society is Carol Newvine.
For more information, correspondence can be addressed to:
you may prefer to e-mail at: email@example.com