MOUNT PLEASANT UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
1870-1970
Town of Volney, NY

“A Brief History of the Community Church at Mount Pleasant, New York 1870-1970”

(pic. The Rev. and Mrs. Donald Turk)

Many thanks to Aaron Howard for contributing this wonderful and interesting history with so many names, on the MOUNT PLEASANT UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 1870-1970 and to the individuals who put this booklet together, as there is no author noted, and no Copyright.David is unable for privacy reasons to include any photographs from the booklet. 


Welcome news has been sent in by Aaron Howard that he now knows who wrote this article on the Mt. Pleasant Church.  "The author of this booklet is Byron Rowlee, who served as Town of Volney Historian as well as Town of Volney Clerk.  Mr. Rowlee has done substantial amounts of work to help anyone doing research on the history of the Town, and it was a presentation that he gave to a class of mine that spurred my interest in genealogy.  Mr. Rowlee added the following comments: 

'[I]t was I who had written [the booklet] and was able to have it published where I worked as a photo-engraver in Syracuse.  The men in the plant donated their time to photograph, put together and print and bind the booklet while I was working there at no cost to me except having to pay the type setter for setting up the type for the printing.  One of the artist in the art department their did some of the drawings for me, in fact with my help he put together the cover that I designed for it.   Most of those photographs were mine or some that I had borrowed for use in the booklet. 

I believe that in the picture of the Up to Date Club it should be Clarence Howard, someone corrected me as to the names and I am not sure if I am remembering it right that that is the one, it was so many years ago and I did not correct my copy so as I say am not sure.

Also the memorial windows one got left out "In memory of the Distin Family", which would have been Eli Delos Distin's family and I got reminded of that whent he book came out by one of his daughter's.'"

Aaron’s great-great-grandfather, Samuel Preston Howard is the one mentioned as being honored with a stained glass window on the east side of the church.He also states, “I would be very interested to connect with any of the Howard descendants who come from his line or that of his wifeLaney Myers Howard.

You may contact Aaron Howard at: "ahoward13212 @ yahoo.com".

Note:Also, just to remind everyone, besides the search engine, you may already know, but I think that it might be of interest to readers to know that they can search the document for a specific name by using Edit|Find, or Ctrl+F to access the Find feature if using MS Internet Explorer (versions 5 and up anyway).Thank you for giving this information Aaron.Makes it easier to search right on the same page.

*****************

CERTIFICATE OF INCORPORATION MOUNT PLEASANT METHODIST CHURCH

State of New York)

County of Oswego)ss

We, the undersigned, two of the members of the society hereinafter mentioned, do certify that on the tenth day of January, 1870, the male persons of full age belonging to a congregation in which divine worship is celebrated according to the rites of the Methodist Episcopal Church and not already incorporated, met at one of the places of worship heretofore occupied by the said society in the town of Volney in said county for the purpose of incorporating themselves; and did them and there elect by plurality of voices Frederick Vant, Bradford P. Sanford, George W. Rowlee, Joseph Wright, Joel P. Streeter, Peter P. Ward, and Charles W. Stewart as trustees for the said Church and the said persons did them and there also determine by the like plurality of voices that the said trustees and their successors should forever hereafter be called and known by the name and title of the Second Methodist Episcopal Church of Volney.Witness our hands and seas this 10th day of January, 1870.

In presence of Austin Wheeler, Chairman L.S.

William H. Clark, Clerk or Secy. L.S.


 


DEED:

This indenture made this twenty-second day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy, Between Nelson Sears and Amanda his wife o the town of Volney, County of Oswego and State of New York of the first part and Frederick Vant, Bradford P. Sanford, George W. Rowlee, Joseph Wright, Joel P. Streeter, Peter P. Ward and Charles W. Stewart of the same place aforesaid as trustees of the 2nd M.E. Church of Volney and their successors in office of the second part witnesseth that the said party of the first part in consideration of the sum of Fifty dollars to them duly paid have sold and by these presents do grant and convey to the said party of the second part successors as trustees, all that tract or parcel of land situated in the town of Volney aforesaid known and described as follows being on Lot sixty four (64) of the 15th township of Scriba Patent, said parcel being in the northwest corner of said lot and bounded on the North by the Road running from Hubbards corners west, Beginning in the centre of the road at the N.W. corner of said lot and running thence East along the centre of said Road six Rods, Thence South paralleled with the West line of said lot seven roads and sixteen feet, thence West parallel with the road six Rods, Thence North along the west line of said Lot to the place of beginning.Said party of the second part to build a good substantial fence around said described premises and to keep the same in good repair.The land above described is deeded for the purpose of building thereon a house of religious worship which house must so be built thereon in order to make this transfer valid.The M.E. Church or society to have the first privilege of occupying said house when built.When the house is no so occupied all other orthodox denominations shall have the privilege of using the said house.When the house is built the seats shall be free with the appurtenances and all the estate title and interest therein of the said party of the first part and the said Nelson Sears does hereby covenant and agree to and with the said party of the second part their successors as trustees that the premises thus conveyed in the quiet and peaceable possession of the said party of the second part and their successors as trustees he will forever warrant and defend against any person whomsoever lawfully claiming the same or any part thereof.In witness whereof the party of the First part has hereunto set hand and seal the say and year first above written.


Parts of the following history were taken from accounts written for the twenty-fifth and the seventy-fifth anniversaries as well as from various other programs, records and notes as they could be found.Some were recorded from various stories told by people that have been a part of the church life for many years.In trying to cover a history of 100 years, it is very difficult to find information that is of interest to all.It is difficult to give credit to so many people that have given so much of themselves.It is obvious that many things will be overlooked or missed and that many individuals will be overlooked or missed and that many individuals that have contributed much will not be recorded.This was written as a kind of highlight of the activities over the years, with a sincere effort to remember or locate as many important things as possible to make a record of these for the future generations.

Our thanks to all of the many people who have given so much of themselves, their time and finances, to the support of our church over the years.Even though your name may not be recorded in this history, without all of you such a fine organization could not have existed for all the years.Our hope and prayer is that it may continue and serve our people and our community.Truly, this church is a community church and we Methodists owe much to others for their support and help in assisting us to keep the church active in our community.

If it were not for the dedication and the support of these people, it would not be possible to carry on our programs.

It is very difficult to write a history of this charge, as the facts had to be gathered from individuals since there was no competent record kept.

This charge used to be called the Volney charge, and was so entered in the Conference Minutes and then it became known at Mount Pleasant.

This districts not combined – that is school – districts were formerly a part of the Gilbert’s Mills circuit.In 1863, the following were formed into separate charges: Hubbards, Greenman, Weed, Hawk, Rowlee, and Druce.The Rev. George Foster was pastor at this time.

From 1864 to 1865, Burris Holmes was pastor, and was followed in 1865 by M. Thrasher.

George Foster became pastor in 1866 and continued in charge for three years, 1866-1869.

For value received, We, the Subscribers agree to pay to the order of the Trustees of the 2nd M.E. Church of Volney (to be elected) the amount opposite our names respectively for the purpose of building a Church, to be built on a site near Volney Cheese Factory, to be paid in three equal installments unless sooner provided for.

The first on March 2, 1970, the second on the 1st of May, 1970, and the whole when said Church is completed.

(Dated) Volney, December 15th, 1869


 


The total of said pledges amounted to $1,899.80.

The church was completed and the dedication took place on February 24th, 1871.Elder Ives dedicated it as the 2nd M.E. Church of Volney.Pledges were taken at the morning and evening services of dedication, totaling $2,633.13.The money for building the church was spent as follows:

Builders$3,552.00

Foundation150.00

Stoves56.00

Lamps, etc.66.00

Furniture51.00

Organ175.00

Labor, as follows:

F. Vant30.00

Streeter20.00

Sears44.70

Markham42.00

And for the Fence20.00

From 1869-1871, A.M. Roe was preacher in charge, and the church at Mount Pleasant was built at a cost of $4,000.00.Elder Foster acted as construction boss and some of the men who came to do the actual construction resided with the Frederick Vant family.The original church as it was constructed, had three rows of pews therein, one on each side, and a row down the center.Each pew was numbered and each family had a pew of their own.The church was heated by two wood stoves, one in either corner of the sanctuary.There were two entrance doors in the rear and also two entrances and stairs leading to the balcony.In the early days of the church when programs were presented, they would take planks and build up the altar area to a higher leveland use it for a stage.The original lighting was done by kerosene lamps, that were suspended from the ceiling.The Hubbard, Greenman, Weed, and Rowlee school districts banded together and built the church and it was known as the Second M.E. Church of Volney.The above classes joined together to consider the selection of a site on which to build the church.George W. Rowlee, Sr. had offered a pieve of ground on the corner of the Whitaker and Short Cut Roads.Phineas Bartlett said that he would like to see the church built on the hill at Mt. Pleasant, this being known as Hubbards corners at this time.Even if he had to build it himself, he felt that that was the proper place for the church.Probably the fact that there was already a cemetery located here helped to swing the others in favor of this site.The Trustees then proceeded to buy a piece of ground at our present location on which to erect our church. Upon completion of the building it was dedicated by Elder Ives.It was known as the Community Church and was made up largely of Methodists, but also had Congregationalists, Lutherans, Disciples, Baptists and Presbyterians.All denominations were made welcome and made to feel at home.


 


Down through the years the church has remained a community church and all worshippers are made to feel welcome and at home.In 1939 the Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Protestant and Methodist Episcopal South joined together and for the Methodist Church.In 1968 it became known as the United Methodist Church when the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Bretheren Church united in convention at Dallas, Texas.The Evangelical United Church was formed in America by the Rev. Phillip Otterbein, who was a very close friend of Francis Asbury, one of the leading Methodist men in the early part of our American Methodism.There were of German extraction and has been formed by the uniting of the United Bretheren in Christ and the Evangelical Church in the year 1946.

The early school districts used to have services alternately each Sunday.The pastor would hold three services each Sunday – one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.In this manner it was possible for each group to have a pastor every other week.In the absence of the pastor, the local class leaders were responsible for the worship services.

After the church was built at Mt. Pleasant, the Druce and Hawk classes had separate preaching places and alternated each week.The charge thus organized as the Second M.E. Church of Volney was first served by William Witham, who came in 1871 and remained for one year.He was followed in 1872 by A.N. Balsley, who remained in charge for two years, from 1872-74.While he was serving the charge, he resided in the house now occupied by the Casphor Gibson family.It is located on the northeast corner of the Silk and Mt. Pleasant roads near the old Hubbard School.

F. Pierce a Local Gentleman was in charge from 1874-75.

E. J. Clemmens was the pastor from 1875-76.It was during this pastorate that the first record of baptisms appear in the church record.B. F. Barker was here on May 7, 1876 to administer the sacrament of baptism.

J. A. Cosgrove followed and served a pastorate of two years, from 1876-78.While serving here he lived in South Scriba.

H. Everett Chase was pastor for one year, 1878-79.

A.M. Roe was appointed to his second pastorate in April 1879 and served two years, residing in his home in Fulton during this time.There were a few conversions and additions to the church during these years, yet by far too little interest and zeal wa apparent on the part of the church.It was clearly indicated in the neglected social services, also by some a continuous and inexcusable absence from the Sabbath Services which, of course, not only served to discourage the pastor, but was pernicious in its influence upon society as well.

Many of the sheds that were built at the church for the parishoners to put their horse and buggy in were built by the parishoners themselves.The congregation as a whole built some, but by and large most were individually built.They were built on the west side of the church running north and south and there were some built in the rear of the church and they ran east and west.Then they were built in the shape of a T, as some were built south beyong the west end of the shes in the rear of the church.


 


L. Brown came to this charge by appointment in April, 1881 and again in 1882, thus serving two years.

The membership in 1878 was 171 members.The salary of the pastor was $393.00.Conference claiments were $5.00, Missions $16.00, Bible $1.00, Trust $1.00, S.S. Union $1.00 and miscellaneous expenses were $60.00.

On December 2, 1882 the trustees purchased from Almon and Mary Jane Beardsley, for the sum of Twenty dollars a piece of ground 130 feet wide by 11 feet.

In 1883, J. R. Decker was appointed and served for one year.November 8, 1883 the trustees purchased the parsonage property consisting of one acre of ground from James and Hannah Sears for the sum of Two Hundred and Fifty dollars.They built a barn during that year.It appears that the barn was built on the parsonage property.

In 1884, C. E. Miller was appointed and served two years.The church during this time was in excellent condition.Every interest was looked after.A parsonage was built at a cost of about $1,000.00, and at the Hawks there were gracious revivals during the winter of 1885 and 1886 and some forty persons were converted, many of whom remain faithful unto this day.May God five this charge another such revival.

During the pastorate of C. E. Miller the following were here at Mt. Pleasant to administer the rites of baptism.February 1884 – G. M. Mead.Among the ones in the group at that time was Jennie and George Peckham, also Ed. Grant.August 1884 – George W. Wood.In that group was Truman Grant, Melvina Rowlee Ives and Shubal Williams.September 1885 – I. J. Nourse and Grace Looker Ebblie was baptized then.Novenber 8, 1885 - G. M. Mead was here for baptism and baptized 41 persons on that day.Some of the baptisms on September 6, 1885 were by immersion.

There were occasions when the baptism by immersion was held at Trask’s Pond.G. M. Mead was also here for the baptism on January 17, 1886.

J. F. Rathbun next served the charge three years.His was a successful pastorage.Many additions were made to the church.During the first year, 1886, of Brother Rathbun’s pastoate a “session room” in the basement of the church was built, at a cost of about $300.00.The church was assisted in this enteprise by the Good Templars, who existed at that time.After it was built it was used by them for their meetings until they disorganized.


 


The next pastor was the Rev. David Jackson.He captivated the people from the first.He had large congregations.He was heard to remark that he would fill the church before long, and so he did, but it was at his funeral.He died very suddenly, Friday, July 5, 1889.Services were at Mt. Pleasant, the church being crowded to its utmost and large numbers were not able to get in at all.A part of a lot was offered the relatives, but was declined as they wished him to be buried near themselves.He was buried at Forest Hill Cemetery, Utica, New York.Simons of Oswego, a local preacher, served the rest of the year.

In 1887, the month of May, H.W. Danforth was here for baptism.In February, 1888, W. Dempster Chase gave the baptism.

In the year 1890, Edward Everett was appointed and served for two years.During this pastorate the Weed and Rowlee classes were put with the Mount Pleasant class, for while these members attended preaching at the church, they still held their class meetings in their respective school houses.They thus became Class No. 1, and meets at Mount Pleasant on the Sabbath after the morning service.

During these years 1890-91, the church was improved by putting a tin roof on and the “Young People” also purchased an organ.Mrs. James Manish got up a subscription paper and collected money by which the society purchased a “Sacramental Service,” consisting of six pieces.Near the close of the year 1891, the church edifice at Mt. Pleasant was nicely decorated by Mr. C.B. Madden of Oswego.He was assisted by Mr. Maurice Walsh of the same city.He painted a “Perspective” behind the pulpit platform.At the same time registers were put into the floor over the session room for the purpose of ventilating it.

When the church was first built, the chimney was placed on the east side of the church, up near the front entrance.In this place there was continual trouble with smoke and trying to obtain sufficient draft to make the fire burn properly.The members of the church board were gathered together insidethe church discussing what action should be taken to improve matters.All at once they heard a noise outside the church.When they went outside to investigate where the noise was coming from, there was Jasper Rowlee up on the roof tearing down the chimney.It was them decided tomove it to the south end of the church.

There has been much discussion as to the wisdom of this move even to the present day.When the congregation installed the stained glass windows, the center panel of that fine scene was covered by the chimney and many people dislike this and feel that the beauty of it has been spoiled.This action must have taken place prior to 1893 because pictures of the church with the old high steeple show the chimney being on the south end of the church.


 


At the next conference, B.G. Sanford was appointed and served the charge for three years.During his pastorate there was a great revival.He was assisted by the Evangelist Charles H. Ferguson.There were a large number added to the church rools and on December 16, 1894 there were 26 baptized by Evangelist Ferguson.On December 23, 1894, B. G. Sanford baptized 15 more.It was during 1893 that the church was struck by lightning; the steeple was hit and knocked from the building.The portion of the church under the spire caught fire and V.V. Vant and his hired men went up into the belfry among the flying embers and helped put out the fire and save the church.Many members of the community rallied to the church and formed a bucket brigade and carried water to the church to put out the fire.Thanks to Lewis H. Ives, Fred Bartlett and many others, the building was kept from total destruction and the insurance was sufficient for the rebuilding.

When the new spire was built, it was thought advisable by many to put in a bell.Mr. Fred Vant collectyed money for this purpose, and the bell weighing 800 pounds and costing $135.00 was placed in the spire of the church.It still may be heard ringing out over the countryside calling the faithful to services on Sunday morning.For many years the man that has run the bell has been Howard Ives, the son of Lewis, who helped to save the church after the fire.

“The spire of the M.E. Church at Mount Pleasant was struck by lightning last Saturday evening and burned as far down as the roof of the tower, but the church was save by the heroic efforts of the men who came to the rescue.Volkert Vant andtwo of his hired men went up into the tower and by throwing water and cutting timbers away with axes and saws arrested the progress of the fire.The spire, which was a solid post, burned slowly, and was destroyed.

The roof of the tower is ruined, also the paper on the walls of the audience room.

The spire was an addition which Mr. Vant was the means of procuring at the time the church was finished; he taking a subscription paper and securing $75.00 extra to defray the expense of its erection.It has been a marked addition ot the appearance of the church, and has made the building an object of observation for miles around.

The insurance company appraisers were promptly on hand on Monday morning and the damage adjusted.The church was insured for $1,000.00 and the damage will not exceed $300.00.”

This article appeared in the Fulton Patriot after the fire.

J.H. Buck was the next pastor and spent three years on the charge.There were some conversions and additions to the church.He was greatly beloved by his people, but on account of advancing age and infirmities, was not able to get around as much as he would have liked.Yet, nothwithstanding this, the interests of the charge were attended to.At the conference of 1898, he retired from the active work and went ot livei n Fulton.May the mantle of these beloved veterans fall on the younger members of our conference.And may it be to him, “Light at Eventide.”


 


The Rev. Harry Idle was appointed in the year 1898.During this conference year the “Young People” have put a new carpet in the church; also new pulpit furniture.A new driveway has been laid at the parsonage, and a sidewalk laid in the direction of the church from the parsonage to the end of the cheese factory barn, thus making a good walk from the parsonage to the church.The quarterly conference at its last session passed resolution authoizing the pastor and treasurer to issue a financial statement as to the receipts and expenditures of the church.The names of those who support the church, with what amount, will be issued in the receipts, also in the expendituresto whom such moneys have been paid along with the amounts.The Sunday services during his pastorate were as follows:Mt. Pleasant 11 A.M. and 8 P.M., North Volney and Hawks alternating each Sunday at 2 P.M., on Monday evening at 7 P.M. at South Scriba, Tuesday evening 7 P.M., North Volney, Wednesday 7 P.M., Bible study and prayer at Hawks and Thursday 7 P.M. at Mt. Pleasant Bible study and prayer meeting.

Some of the descendents of the early church pioneers remain with us, others have taken their places.Shall not we who remain see to it we do our duty, contribute to its support according as God has given ability.That the Sabbath services are maintained by our being in our place every Sabbath, unless prevented by sickness or other unavoidable causes.By standing by the pastor and various officers of the church, praying for them, and in every way doing our best to lend every possible assistance.Inviting others to our church, speaking to strangers who attend and by our kind and courteous treatment inducing them to become regular worshippers with us.In church, Sunday School, Class Meetings, and Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor, making the wheel go so that at last the Master may say to each one of us, “Well done, good and faithful servant; enter in the joy of the Lord.”

The Epworth League of the Mt. Pleasant M.E. Church was organized September 13, 1903 by the Rev. Wm. E. Greene.There were thirteen members enrolled as charter members.The following were the first officers elected: President – Mr. M. C. Graves, 1st Vice President – Mrs. Lewis Ives, 2nd Vice President – Mrs. Will Percival, 3rd Vice President – Mrs. Arthur Lewis, 4th Vice President – Mrs. Deal DuBois, Treasurer – Earl Rowlee, Secretary – Nellie Rowlee.The name of the league was to be the Thoburn League No. 14537.

January 4, 1906 the trustees obtained a piece of ground from Almon Beardsley and wife, from the southwest corner of the church, westerly 11 feet, south at right angles to cemetery fence, easterly 11 feet and northerly to starting point.Consideration was one dollar.They also purchased on the same day for one dollar from Volkert V. Vant and Gertrude Vant a piece of ground starting at a point 4 feet east of the northeast corner of the church running south 172 feet to south side cemetary lot, west to the boundary of the cemetery, north 40 feet then east to the southeast corner of the original church lot.

In 1906 during the pastorate of the Rev. and Mrs. William Pullen, the church spent $1400.00 renovating the church.Among some of the improvements made at this time were new pews.They are the pews that still serve the church.They also removed the old wood stoves and placed a furnace in the basement to heat the church.The Up to Date Club was formed on October 13, 1904.The first officers were President – Willis C. Streeter, 1st Vice President – King …


 


(insert photo whose caption reads:

The Up-To-Date Club 1905:

Front l to r:Arthur Lewis, Arthur Williams, Delos Rowlee, Howard Ives, Irving Bartlett, Frank Howard, Leon Bartlett.

Second row:Erwin Sanford, George Bartlett, Charles Green, Earl Rowlee, Byron Distin, Clarence Trask.

Rear: Charles Osborne, Willis Streeter, Frank Earl, King Sheffield, Rev. Wm. Pullen, Ben Cole, Erwin Osborne.)

…Sheffield, 2nd Vice President – Delos Rowlee, Secretary – W. H. Pullen and Treasurer – Earl Rowlee.They gathered regularly for meetings at which time they had study and debates.The also had baseball games during the warm weather.This group raised $200.00 and put the new steel ceiling on the sanctuary and they also painted it.

In 1911 new cement steps were made for the front of the church.When they were being poured, there was a box containing mementoes placed in the steps.It was during 1911 that the people of the community raised the money to place stained glass windows in the sanctuary.The front three costing $152, were paid for by donations from all the community.Individual windows costing $330 were purchased and placed by the following people:

In Memory of Washington and Jane Rowlee
In Memory of John and Rebecca Ives

In Memory of Mr. and Mrs. G.G. Ives

In Memory of George Sheffield

In Memory of George Peckham and S. P. Howard

In Memory of John W. and Harriet M. Distin 

Streeter

Looker

In Memory of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Foster

In Memory of Mr. and Mrs. Rufus H. Rockwood

In Memory of Henry A. Trask Co. D 147th Rgt. N.Y. Vols.

In Memory of Rev. Loren Clark

Presented by Williams View Families

Presented by Rowlee Bartlee Families

Presented by Mothers Jewels

Presented by Home Guards


The year 1912 was the year that the Rev. Thomas J. Williams entered the ministry.During that year and while finishing school, he served the church at New London.In 1913 he came to serve the charge here at Mt. Pleasant.This was his first charge after he was ordained.It was during his pastorate here that he was married and he and Mrs. Williams are still living.They now make their home in nearby Utica, N.Y.

November 1, 1921 a meeting was held to organize Camp Fire Council.The first officers of the group were President George Paddock and Secretary-Treasurer John Salisbury.This group continued for about 25 years and they did much for the church.The ladies of this group were known as the Torch Light Society.They were instrumental in replacing the old kerosene lamps with a Delco lighting system in 1923.Later on they were responsible for having the electricity put in the church.The Delco System which they purchased cost $400.00 and they spent $145.00 to have the batteries repaired and renovated.Then in 1930 they spent $42.00 to convert the church to the electric system.They also raised the money to have the parsonage wired at a cost of $138.00.This group of men and women helped to raise some of their money by putting on plays as well as other activities.

Sometime before 1920 when the Rev. Howard Holmes was at State Street he used to come out to the Luddington School and hold Sunday School and church services.Those that went there were members of the State Street Church but were active in the Mt. Pleasant church women’s organizations also.There were also services held at the Pine Woods school during this time.During the pastorate or William Lord, State Street abandoned those outlying schools and they withdrew from the State Street Church.Those people in the Luddington District joined the church at Mt. Pleasant in 1931.

In 1928 a spacious annex of 30 by 40 was constructed on the west side of the original church buildings.The upper floor of this annex is used for Sunday School rooms.This addition was built under the leadership of the Rev. William Lord.The people of the community gave of their money and time to make this project a reality.At the time of the discussion on the plans and whether or not the money could be raised to carry it out, the question was raised as to whether or not the church might not be able to receive some assistance from the conference. 


 


The feeling was that they could do this without the help of the conference.If the people of the community were behind this project and wanted it bad enough, they would be able to raise the needed funds and wouldn’t need to ask the conference for help in doing it.Jim Foster was hired to direct the workers in the building of the annex and a great many of those who had made pledges worked them out by helping the construction of the addition.Not having to hire laborers, they were able to accomplish this project at a very reasonable cost.The upstairs rooms were divided from the sanctuary by folding doors that can be opened as needed to provide additional seating capacity.The downstairs was made into a combination dining room and gymnasium.Thus it is possible to have suppers, socials, entertainment and sports such as basketball.A modern kitchen was added to complete the project.Total cost of the project was $8,000.It was during this time, shortly after the annex was completed that the Mt. Pleasant Church had one of the finest basketball teams in the area.They were known at the Mt. Pleasant Aggies.The team was made up of Maxwell Lord, Emerson and Milton Distin, Carl Lewis, Oron, George and Willard Rowlee, Wallace Crouch, Amos Baldwin, Casphor Gibson, Amost and Lewis Ives.The Rev. William Lord was their coach.

(inset photo whose caption reads:

Seated l to r: Emerson Distin, Maxwell Lord, Carl Lewis, Oron Rowlee, Milton Distin.Standing: Willard Rowlee, Casphor Gibson, Amos Ives, Amos Baldwin, Wallace Crouch, George Rowlee, Lewis Ives.)

The following item was taken from the official minutes of the N.N.Y. conference 1928:

“An outstanding rural achievement has taken place at Mount Pleasant, which is an open country church with no village near.A two story ell, thirty by forty feet, has been started and almost complete within the year.It contains a recreational hall, kitchen, large Sunday School room and four additional class rooms.Without seeking or receiving any missionary aid, nearly $7,000.00 has been expended, of which all by $1,700.00 has been paid.Good pledges cover the balance.”

The Quarterly conference at Mt. Pleasant for many years sponsored the licenses of R. Burr and Evelyn Howard to preach and they served the church at Bundyville for many years.In 1962 Charles Austin and his wife went into the full time ministery and Turin, Constableville and Glenfield.


 


March 22, 1929 Mt. Pleasant Grange No. 349 and the trustees of the church entered into a partnership agreement of a parcel of land 80 by 50 on which to build an ew community barn.This was built to replace the old horse sheds that were in bad repair and an eyesore.There was sopme concern as to the wisdom of building a barn to put horses in as it didn’t seem that there were that many people coming to church by horse and buggy.

The first winter after the new barn was erected by the church and the grange it received considerable use as the weather that winter was extremely bad.In order for the people to attend church, they had to come by horse and cutter or sleights.After the towns and county snow equipment became better, the need for the barn decreased to where it was not used for anything except storage.It did serve one large function for a week end.All the 4-H clubs in the county gathered at Mt. Pleasant for a meeting and the interior of the barn was set up with chairs and a platform.There was a very enjoyablt program presented here at that time.

There was talk of foxing the barn up and providing rollor skating facilities for the young people, but they never felt that the results would justify the expense involved.

The Town of Volney offered to buy the barn in 1936, but when they finally got down to figures the Town Board did not accept the proposition.There has been talk at other times of selling it, but as of this time it still stands and is still jointly owned by the Grange and the church.

The Grange and the church deeded a right of way to each other for entrances.In the even either organization shall cease ot exist, the property will go to the surviving organization.

During the year 1936-37, during the pastorate of the Rev. and Mrs. George A. Foote, the church adopted the envelope system.Those who made regular contributions to the church were given a box of envelopes.Thus by having their own envelopes at home it was easier for the people to assume their share of the church budget.This also made it easier for the financial secretary to keep proper records for the church.

(inset picture, whose caption reads:

L to r: Orlon Taft, Robert Taft, Reuben Birdsell, Byron Rowlee, Charles Austin, Byron Grant.)

During the late 1930s a Boy Scout troop was organized at Mt. Pleasant.Mr. Amos Ives was the first Scoutmaster.During these years the scout troop had a basketball team, however, it was not as famous as the Aggies were in their day, but they had a good time and managed to win a few ball games.It was during this time that the trustees voted to put wood siding on the walls of the gymnasium and thus help make it a bit warmer for activities.In discussing the possibilities as to how to fasten the siding on, Charles Parker said it would be very easy to drive nails into the concrete wall and thus fasten it that way.


 


But, when they went down and tried nailing, they found that it was just about impossible to drive nails so another way had to be found.Willis Streeter, George and Charles Parker were doing the work.The scouts had scheduled a game during this remodeling and so went over in the evening and moved out the stove they were using to heat the gymnasium with and also moved and mixed up the lumber they had out to use the next day.About the time they were ready to play, Willis and Charles came over and saw what was done and were pretty upset with the boys.They were going to put a stop to their using the gymnasium for basketball.Fortunately for the Scouts, the sentiment of the remainder of the trustees was different and thanks to Howard Ives, Byron Distin, Charles Denniston and the Rev. George Foote things were straightened out to the satisfaction of all concerned.During the year of 1938, a new floor was installed in the gymnasium as well as the new sidewalls and a new ceiling.

During the pastorate of the Rev. and Mrs. Walter J. Suits the church had a policy of giving a shower for the young couples of the community when they were married.IT was during this time and on the 15th of September, 1941 that the first wedding was performed in the church.Marjorie Paddock and Ralph Berning were united in marriage. 

During November of 1942 the people of the community gathered at the church and cemetery to dedicate the new flag and flag pole.This was made possible by contributions from the public.It was more or less a memorial to those serving our country during the Second World War.There were over one hundred of our young people from the community who served in the armed services during this time; five of them gave their lives.

During the rededication of the church on November 21, 1943 at which time they were rededicating the church after having redone the sanctuary, they had three church services for the celebration.At each of these services the choir of fifty years ago sang.This group consisted of George, Grace and Jennie Peckham, Charles and Rhoda Rowlee and Lula Trask Hoff accompanied by Ruth Streeter Bartlett on the piano.This was the first time this group had sung together since 1895.

No church is complete without the rich deep tones of an organ to lead in its worship.The need for such an organ had long been felt in our church.Before the war, members of the Mary Martha Class launched an organ fund.This was at a standstill for the duration, but as soon as it seemed advisable, the Fund was revived and a new organ committee appointed.The committee was made up of Medora Denniston, Chairman; Naomi Clark, Treasurer; Beryl Osborne, Ruth Streeter Bartlett, Carrie and Eleanor Wright, Georgia Ives, Lucille Burdick, Elliott Wright and the Pastor.An order was placed with the Clark Music Co. of Syracuse for a Hammond electric organ with the full approval of the Board of Trustees of the church.The organ was delivered in November and was used for the first time on Thanksgiving Sunday.The cost of the organ was $2,090.00. On Sunday, December 21, 1947 a service of dedication was held with Bishop W. Earl Ledden and the Rev. Barber L. Waters being present to help with the dedication.Peggy Kimball from radio station W.F.B.L. was present and gave an organ recital for all those present.The Rev. Stanley Smith was the pastor of the church at this time.


 


After the Rev. Stanley Smith left in January of 1948, there was some discussion as to whether the church should remain Methodist or become affiliated with the Church of God.There was much discussion, including a meeting with the District Superintendent, Barber L. Waters.He said he could find nothing in our deeds and charter which would hinder us from doing this provided a majority of those present and voting so decided.After much pro and con on the matter, it was brought to a vote and it was decided that the best interests of all concerned could best be served by continuning to be known as a Methodist Church.Much of the thinking in favor being brought about by the inability of the other group being unable to guarantee to furnish a pastor to fill the pulpit.

The Sunday School rooms were redecorated in 1940 and again in the year 1959.During the fall of 1943 the sanctuary was beautifully redecorated at a cost of about $550.During 1962 the sanctuary was again redecorated and the folding doors between the sanctuary and the Sunday School rooms were cleaned and refinished.

January 10, 1923 Lucy Osborne petitioned the trustees for permission to purchase a cottage at the Dempster Camp Grounds.It was to be held in the name of the Mt. Pleasant Church and under the charge of the pastor of said church.She was granted that permission.Over the years thereafter many groups from the church went there for services.The fact that we owned our own cottage probided living accommodations for those staying.Many of the young people went there and spent a week of fine fellowship and religious experience.Many of the older people used to go and spend time there during the special services that were held each year.During the year 1948 the Women’s Society sold it for $150.

During August 1952 George Paddock refinished the floor in the sanctuary at a cost of $60.He was generous enough to donate his time for this project as well as having donated it for many other of the projects at the church and parsonage.Many of the building and refinishing projects in the church and parsonage were done by him at no cost to the church.

During 1952-53 the old wood furnace and the woodstoves were replaced with three new furnace units.These were oil buring in and this have helped considerably in the car and maintenance of the church.It certainly is much easier to heat the building and any of those people that served as janitors appreciate the fact that it no longer a necessity o have tocarry wood upstairs into the Sunday school rooms to heaty it.Even though the very fine wood box that they had with the wheels under it helped save some of the carrying, it was still necessary to bring it up the stairs to the sanctuary and then you could roll it the rest of the way into the Sunday School department.This also relieved the necessity of putting up and taking down the stove in the gymnasium and carrying wood from the furnace room down there to fire the stoves with.The cost of these united was $1,968.00.

In 1957, 24 storm windows were purchased for the church.Geore Paddock also made storm windows to be placed over the stained glass windows in the sanctuary.


 


The Women’s Society purchased 6 folding tables in 1950, 8 in 1955 and 8 more in 1956 for use in the dining room.These were to replace the wooden tables that were made by the local people when the addition was built on the church in 1927.There were metal folding chairs purchased for the church in 1949 and 1960.During 1956 the Couples Club insulated the ceiling over the sanctuary.In 1960 the Couples Club and others purchased about 100 folding metal chairs for use in the church.The trustees had a well dug on the church grounds at this time thus it was no longer necessary to draw water from the spring at the store.Much of this work was accomplished during the pastorates of the Revs. Joseph and Edna Elkins.Rev. Joseph B. Elkins passed away August 12, 1952.

In 1962 the people of the church undertook the project of placing restroomsin the furnace room of the church.The fact that we now had our own water supply made this prject possible and feasible.Thanks to the cooperation and donations of the people this was able to be accomplished.The cost of this undertaking was about $2,600.00.This was one of the many undertakings accomplished during the pastorate of the Rev. and Mrs. Harold Pennock.It was also during his pastorate that the every member visitation was inaugurated.This helped to underwrite the budget for the coming year and helped eliminate having to make a special call on the people just before conference to help pay the bills.Many years before this had been done by donations fro mthe Women’s Society.This calling has helped considerably in the financing of the church budget.Needless to say we still have some problems raising enough money, but by and large we have been much more successful in meeting our need.

During the pastorate of the Rev. and Mrs. Stanley Vollmer the church purchased robes for the choir and the choir directorate at a cost $232.Paul Kimball installed flood lights on the exterior of the church to light the steeple on the church at night.In 1965 we ordered 125 of the new Methodist hymnal that was being published.These were subscribed for as memorials or to honor people.The Senowen Club ordered 20 more in 1966 for the use of the choir.These were purple rather than the red that was ordered for the pews.

The year of 1963 was the year that the trustees converted one of the rooms in the Sunday School department into an office at the cost of $250.This was done in order to make it possible for the pastor to study and counsil without being interrupted by anyone.This also makes a convenient arrangement at the present time as our present pastor does not occupy the parsonage.A telephone has been installed in the study and an extension placed in the kitchen.

In 1964 a new acoustical ceiling and modern lighting system were placed in the sanctuary.Part of the money for this project came from the Willis C. Streeter estate.The lighting system was placed as a memorial to the Streeter family.Willis was the secretary of the Board of Trustees for over forty years as well as serving as recording secretary of the Official Board for many years.The ceiling that was installed was a drop ceiling and lowered the existing ceiling somewhat.The cost of the ceiling was $1,080.00. The cost of the lighting system was $1,255.00.

During the year of 1965 a new entrance was constructed on the front of the church.In place of the old double doors that were there, one large door was used and around this were windows; this helped to make our vestibule much lighter.The cost of this was $580.00 and it was dedicated as a memorial to Nicholas Mansfield.

During the pastorate of the Rev. and Mrs. A. Howard Gabriel, a drive was started to do something about the kitchen facilities.A Committee consisting of Lina Stevens, Ruth Rockwood, Louise Ives, Fred Spink, Jr., Donald Kitts and Paul Kimball was named to explore the possible answers as to what could be done and obtain some kind of an estimate as to the cost.After a successful fund drive, it was considered possible to add a new building on the west side of the present building.The committee let a contact for $4,800.00 to construct a shell 15 by 30 feet.This was done and then our own people began the work of completing the inside.A concrete floor was laid and the inside was divided into three separate rooms.One half was used for the kitchen and the remaining half was divided again to make an entryway and place to hang clothes.The furnace was moved down from the stage into the remaining room.The water pump and water heater were installed in this room also and thus it has been much easier to heatthe gymnasium for activities.New equipment was added to the kitchen and a new tile floor, and wall paneling around the base of the walls make these rooms very attractive as well as useful.The cost of completing the inside work on the kitchen was $2,300.00Due to the generous help of our own people, much labor was donated and thus we were again able to save considerable on cost of construction.The steeple on the church was repaired, a new roof added and the outside of the steeple were painted at cost of $2,780.00.The repairs on the steeple were completed in 1966.A new roof was put on the east side of the church during the same year at a cost $1,475.00.

In November, 1968 the Rev. and Mrs. Donald Turk were assigned to preach at Mt. Pleasant.In 1969 new carpeting was purchased for the auditorium and the vestibule at a cost of $965.00.The money for this was provided by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Denniston and the Couples Club.A new piano was purchased for use with the organ during the worship services.The cost of this piano was $795.00.As there has been considerable trouble with the floor in the gymnasium over the years, the trustees voted to replace the wooden floor wit ha new concrete floor.This was done at a cost of $900.00.

At the end of 1969 and early in the year 1970 the Sunday School room downstairs on the stage were being redone with new lights, new tile ceiling and wood paneling on the walls.This was made possible by contributions made in memory of Louise Osborne who died as a result of an automobile accident near Allentown, Pennsylvania in November 1969.She was 16 years old and a high school senior.

The parsonage was built in1884 at a cost of $1,000.00.Running water was installed in 1939 by means of an electric pump.A line was laid across the road to a spring owned by Ernest Gibson.In 1960 a well was dug at the church and shortly thereafter the parsonage was connected to this well.In 1940 a sun porch was built on the front of the parsonage with the labor being donated by the Revs. Lord and Suits.In 1943 the parsonage was insulated and during the summer of 1944 the exterior was painted.During 1945 a new bathroom was constructed on the west side of the parsonage.In 1953 a new oil furnace was installed at a cost of $825.00.In 1964 the trustees had the exterior of the parsonage resided with wood shingles at a cost of $975.00.

Charles Parker was the superintendent of the Sunday School during the year of 1935 and at this time Mabel L. Grant was selected to take charge of the young people’s department as their counselor.She formed new classes in that department and laong with thos in the other two departments, the Sunday School was expanded to sixteen classes, this being the highest number ever for the Sunday School.She along with the various classes raised the money to purchase much of the equipment in use in the church and parsonage.Evenings and Sarudays, after her day of teaching at Fairgrieve Junior High School, she would use her car and along with the help of the young people would go out and collect old newspapers to sell and raise money.The department raised over $1,000.00 in this way towards paying for equipment.She organized a sample fair to raise money, there were plays, socials, and skating parties and many other activities to raise funds.The young people’s department was responsible for the addition put on the parsonage in 1948.They spent nearly $1,000.00 to build the addition and equip it as a bathroom for the use of the parsonage family.Ray Dunsmoor was very helpful in completing the project.

During her time as counselor,the Sunday School classes used to have contests to increase attendance.Anna Paddock and Jim Bartlett captained teams known as the blue and the red.The losers were to provide a dinner for the winner.The average attendance during the year 1935 rose to 105, this was the highest on record.

During the year 1939 Lulu Bellinger used to have a Sunday School class which met in her home, thus she reached many of the children in her neighborhood which were not being reached by the church.Berly Osborne started working in the Sunday School in the year 1916 and worked there until 1956.Many years she worked with the young people leading and directing rally day and children’s day programs.She worked with the choir for many years.It was said that she would walk from her home over to the church many rimes in order that she could practice the piano as well as the organ after that has been purchased.

The first records of the attendance in the Sunday School date from the year 1911.At that time there were six classes and the teachers were E.D. Distin, Mrs. Jasper Rowlee, Mrs. Duane Streeter, Mrs. Albert Paddock, Grace Rowlee, and Lavantia Osborne.The superintendent was Albert Paddock and Helen Howard and secretary-treasurer.Mrs. Cassie Osborne began working with the Sunday School in September, 1936 and has continued to the present time.Miss Alice Johnson was elected as the secretary of the Sunday School in 1937 and except for a few months has held that office to the present.

The Mary Martha Class was formed in 1932 with Ruth Rockwood as the first teacher.Florence Distin and Mabel Grant taught the class for a time and then Lizzie Skeel took over as teacher of the class and she remained leader of the group until she passed away in 1969.This group has been very active over


 


(inset photo whose caption reads:

1934 Mary Martha Class:

Left to right:Nettie Baldwin, Serena Distin, Florence Distin, Teacher, Ruth Spink, Shirley Osborne, Beatrice Johnson, Eleanor Wright, Carmen Lord, Doris Rice holding Willis Rice and Naomi Clark holding Fern Rice Parsons.)

the years and helped the church in many ways.They have contributed towards the expenses of young people that have gone to Camp Aldersgate.During the years that they have been organized, they have raised $2,569.80 for the work of the church and the missions.

The Couples Club was formed on November 14, 1947 by combining the Willing Workers and Volunteer Sunday School classes. These classes were taught by Charles and Medora Denniston and when the club was organized, the Dennistons were made honorary members of the club.This club held their first chicken barbeque on June 19, 1954.Ove the years this group and the old Sunday School classes that made up this group have raised over $5,500.00, to use for various projects in the church.They also have five3n financial support to the Kentucky Bible Crusade.This group and others in the Sunday School supported a Chinese girl for many years until the Communists took over China.The Couples Club has helped the church budget many times and they paid the Camp Aldersgate asking for building the new camping facilities; this amount being several hundred dollars.The Couples Club was instrumental in providing the space under the stage un which the tables and chairs could be stored, thus making it easier to clean and also provide clear space for sports.

The Senowen Club was organized in 1963 by the younger couples of fthe church.They have been very active since formoing and have been responsible for many of the projects that the church has undertaken in the past few years.They are taking over much ffo the work and expense that some of the older organizations are no longer able to do.

Under the guidance of urging of Nicholas Mansfield a Men’s Club formed in 1964 and was very active until it disbanded in 1968.One of their projects was installing a new ceiling in the gymnasium at a cost of $231.00.They also contributed money and labor toward the new kitchen annex.

Sometime during the thirteen years that Evelyn Howard was president of the Ladies Aid the circles of the church was formed.The names of the circles at that time were usually the same as the leaders and thus they were the White Circle, the Durfey Circle, the Wm. Rath Circle, the Pollock Circle, the Mt. Pleasant Circle, the Balcom and the Graves Circle were discussing merger in 1920.At the election of the delegate for the Annual conference in 1920 to be held in Malone in April, Lewis H. Ives was elected and Wm. West was elected as alternate.


 


(inset photo whose caption reads:

1921 Harmony Circle l to r: Flora MacDougall, Kate Fleming, Aletha Bartlett, Julia DuBois, Nora Hall, Harriet Sheffield, Mrs. Finter, Mrs. Greenwood, Samantha Wood, Mellie Ives, Carrie Taplin, Ruth DuBois, Lula Bellinger.)

When the Methodist Church was formed by merger in 1939 the Ladies Aid Society was reorganized and became the Women’s Society of Christian Service.They had a charter membership of 81.They have always carried more than their share of the load of the church.In yhe years when the church budget was running out, they came to the rescue many a time and helped see that the conference year was ended with all the bills paid. For many years they have paid the cost of the heating expenses of the church and for many years they paid for the janitor services.

There have been many memorials and memorial gifts made to our church over the years.It would be impossible to list all of them but those who are interested may find most of them listed in a memorial book that is kept in a desk in the rear of the sanctuary.Thedesk was made by George Paddock and that and the book are a memorial to Elsie Sheldon.George also made the Baptismal Font that is a memorial to Medora Denniston.

    Febrary 2, 1947 the following articles were dedicated as memorials:

The Altar Table given by Mrs. Emma Shaut, Mrs. Betty Ives Bartholomew and Mr. Robert G. Ives inscribed “In Loving Memory of Those We Hold Dear But Have Lost Awhile”; the Altar scarf by the Good Luck circle in memory of Mr. and Mrs. E. Delos Distin; the Brass Cross and Candlesticks by the Willing Workers and Volunteer classes in honor of those from the community who served in World War II; a Pulpit Bible, King James Version, in memory of Mrs. Anna Paddock by her husband, family and friends; a Pulpit by the Birthday, Friendship and Welcome Circles; a Bible bookmark, in memory of Anna B. Paddock by her father nad mother,Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Baldwin, her brother and family, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Baldwin; Pulpit Light by the Fellowship, Sunbeam and Live Wire classes of the Sunday School; an Electric Clock by John Wise.

After Mr. Joseph Elkin passed away in 1952, the Women’s Society purchased the altar carpet and dedicated it as a memorial to him.Mr. and Mrs. Horace Ottman purchased kneeling pads as a memorial to the Rev. Joseph Elkin.The Altar Vases were placed as a memorial to Elsie Simmons and Lucy Osborne by family and friends.The present flag set was purchased as a memorial to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Fairbanks, Mr. and Mrs. Willis Clark and Irwin Clark by Naomi Clark.Donald Kitts built a lectern for the Sunday School rooms as a memorial to Mrs. Gertrude Taft.Some of the kitchen equipment has been purchased with money left as memorials to people that have passed away.The mirror in the vestibule is a memorial to Eleanor Balcom by her family.The new Revised Standard Pulpit Bible is a memorial to Elsie Bush by Gloyd Davis and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Bush.The Silver Tea Service is a memorial to Lizzie Skeel by Mr. and Mrs. Victor Simons.The new carpeting in the sanctuary was dedicated as a memorial to Medora Denniston and John B. Howard.A set of Liturgical colored altar hangings in memory of James M. Bartlett.A Candlelighter in memory of Mildred Smith.A roaster oven is a memorial to Ruth Streeter Bartlett by Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Gick.

Over the years some of our people have remembered the Mt. Pleasant Church in their wills.The church has a Trust Fund established by Mrs. Elsie Simons in 1962.The interest from this fund is to be used each year toward the church budget.In 1967 the Grant family established a Student Loan Fund in memory of Ernest Grant.This fund may be added to by anyone who wishes to make a memorial contribution.This fund is available on a loan bases at a very low interest rateto any studen in our community that wishes to further his education beyond high school.

The program of the recongnition dinner was begun in 1960.The people of the community gather together for a dinner and program to honor those selected for their service to their church and community.

1960Beatrice Johnson, Delos D. Rowlee

1962Alice Johnson, Willis Streeter

1963Mabel Grant, George Paddock

1964Lizzie Hunn, Charles Denniston

1965Leta and Walter Youngs, Lizzie Skeel, Margaret Spink and Howard Ives

1966Bernice and James Bartlett, Marion Mansfield and Ruth Grant

1967Ruth and Erwin Rockwood, Aleze Ives and Maud Parker

1968Ernestine and George Bartlett, Hannah and Ralph Balcom

1969Freda and Victor Simons, Merle Bartlett and Maud Looker

1970Susie Hubbard, Cassie and Homer Osborne

The present leaders of the choir are Fern Parsons and Janet Osborne and the organist is Elliott Wright.

The present membership of the church is 236.

Trustees:


Class of 1971

Bruce Osborne

Donald Kitts

Byron Rowlee, Sr.

Class of 1972

Charles Denniston

Howard Ives

Ivan Parsons

Class of 1973

Paul Kimball

Erwin Rockwood

Fred Spink, Jr.


Lay Leader:Leonard GoveChairman Administrative Board:Byron Rowlee, Sr.

Lay Member:Byron Rowlee, Sr.President W.S.C.S.:Ethel Ives

Alternate Lay Member:Paul KimballPresident M.Y.F.:Colleen Parsons

Chairman Council on Ministries:Donald Kitts


 


Members at large of the Administrative Board:

Victor Simons

Colleen Parsons

April Kimball

Louise Ives

William Yardley

Bruce Dumont

Charles Denniston

Carmen Lord

James Carr

Dawn Carr

Naomi Clark

Maud Looker


Work Area Chairman:

Ecumenical Affairs:Ruth Grant

Evangelism:Dora Kimball

Social Concerns:Susie Hubbard

Worship:Fern Parsons

Education:Bruce Osborne

Missions:Marion Mansfield

Stewardship:Fred Spink Jr.

Age Level Coordinators:

Family:Lina Stevens

Youth:Judy Graham

Children:Jacqueline Richards

Adults:Homer Osborne

Recording Secretary:Alice Johnson

Sec. Of Enlistment:Audery Motyka

Financial Secretary:Janet Osborne

Membership Secretary: Joyce Howard

Treasurer:Paul Kimball


Committee on Pastor-Parish Relations:

Chairman:Dora Kimball


Lina Stevens

Bruce Osborne

Charles Denniston

Viola Parrish (N.V.)

Fred Spink Jr.

Alice Battles (N.V.)


Committee on Finance:

Chairman:Fred Spink Jr.


Harold Sickler

Robert Northrup

Charles Denniston

Rosemary Sickler

Beatrice Johnson

Maud Looker

William Stevens


Committee on Nominations and Personnel:

Chairman:Pastor


Class of 1971

Lina Stevens

Harold Sickler

Class of 1972

Leonard Gove

Janet Osborne

Class of 1973

Fern Parsons

Fred Spink Jr.


Memorial Committee:


Richard Hubbard

Mrs. John Woodruff

Beatrice Johnson

Leitha VanBuren

Evalyn Rowlee


Another year has brought another time to say “Farewell” and “Welcome.”

For several years it has been the custom to give the new pastor and his family a little idea of the place to which they have come and where they will make their home for a time.

Last Sunday our new pastor asked the people to write their names and the name of the road on which they live on cards that had been handed out.That seemed to me a good idea, but I think there would be a tendency to concentrate on the roads and your purpose for finding them consequently you might miss some things of interest so let me tell you of some things to look for.


 


We all have read how tourists for centuries have visited the ancient ruins of Rome and Greece.The ruins of Peru are still famous.We too have ruins viewed by many on the corner of Main Street and Lake Avenue.We have the ruins of the once active Mt. Pleasant Cheese Factory.Long gone, but not forgotten.It is partially covered by the lush green of springtime and they occupy a sightly place that can easily be seen from the parsonage windows and from all the highways leading into the center of our town.Sometime ago I did some figuring and estimating and decided the population of Mt. Pleasant probably wouldn’t be more than 999.

The greater number of that population of 999 are now resting in peace in the cemeteries on the corners of Main and Lake.

From this central spot Mt. Pleasant reached out in all directions taking in what were seven rural school districts and including the suburbs of Sodom, North Volney and Grantville.

Sometime as you are approaching our fair town from any direction notice the fine residences dotting the hillsides and valleys.Notice, too the paved streets and grass sidewalks as you enter the center of town don’t overlook the street lights and the well kept Grange Hall.

The new flag with its 50 stars flying from the flag pole set on the village green will give you a thrill of pride and joy.It is your flag and my flag.Long may it wave on high.

On the corner of Main Street and Lake Avenue you must be sure to see and visit the country store.The welcome may is always out.Just inside the same old arm chair offers ease and comfort for the weary.On the front steps the deacons bench sits inviting you to stop and rest awhile during the warm weather.

If you will sit awhile you will probably hear the news of the day; you may hear choice bits of information about your neighbors and you may hear things about yourself that you have never heard before.

Just up from the store – atop the hill stands the church with its steeple pointing skyward.Now with the new belfry light is seems more than ever like a lighthouse or a beacon to guide the wayfarer along the road of life.

You will find all types of people – some are good, some are bad – some are cheerful – some are sad – some are happy and gay the live long day.Such as we are and such things as we have we will gladly share with you.

I am sure I am speaking for all these people when I say we want you and your family to have the flowers on this table as a token of our good will and our best wishes.

We greet you; we welcome you, and we hope you will be happy with us.This greeting was by Mabel L. Grant on behalf of the people of Mt. Pleasant.


 


THE PASTORAL RECORD

The Black River Conference:

Camden District:

1863-George Sawyer

1864-65Burris Holmes

1865-66M. Thrasher

1866-68George Foster

Oneida Conference:

Oswego District:

1869-71A.M. Roe

1871-72William Witham

1872-73      A.M. Balsley

Northern New York Conference:

Oswego District:

1873-74A.M. Balsley

1874-75F. Pierce

1875-76E. J. Clemmens

1876-78J. A. Cosgrove

1878-79H. E. Chase

1879-81A. M. Roe

1881-83L. Brown

1883-84J. R. Decker

1884-86C. E. Miller

1886-89J. A. Rathbun

1889-90                   David Jackson & Simmons

1890-92Edward Everett

1892-95B. G. Sanford

1895-98J. H. Buck

1898-1903Harry Idle

1903-04William Greene

1904-08William Pullen

1908-10Willaim Summers

Ontario District:

1910-12Eurog Jones

1912-13Joseph Lobb, George Benton

1913-17Thomas J. Williams

1917-18Charles Peck, Charles Niles

1918-21William Bradley

1921-22Floyd Clark

1922-34William Lord

1934-35Erwin Bennett

1935-39George Foote

1939-44Walter J. Suits

Black River Ontario District:

1944-48Stanley Smith

1948-52Joseph Elkin

1952-58Edna Elkin

1958-62Harold Pennock

1962-65Stanley Vollmer

1965-68A. Howard Gabriel

1968-        Donald Turk


 


MEMBERSHIP LIST


 
07/14/1895
Delos D. Rowlee
12/11/1899
George Bartlett
02/04/1900
Howard Ives
02/04/1906
Mrs. Ernest Grant (Ruth Osborne)
02/04/1906
Mrs. James Bartlett (Bernice Osborne)
06/28/1908
Mrs. Charles Parket (Maud Ives Howard)
05/14/1911
Merle Bartlett
10/19/1913
Mrs. Willard Ives (Aleze Lockwood)
02/17/1915
Mrs. Edward MacDougall (Louella Duell Ives)
12/03/1916
Mrs. Charles Lockwood (Margaret Rowlee)
12/03/1916
Homer Osborne
12/28/1919
Delos Distin
12/28/1919
Mrs. Homer Osborne (Cassie Ives)
03/27/1921
Mrs. Robert Whalon (Betty Osborne)
03/27/1921
Carl Lewis
04/11/1922
Mrs. James Lamson (Norma Osborne)
05/1922
Maxwell Lord*
1922
Charles Denniston
1924
George Rowlee
1924
Erwin Rockwood
1924
Mrs. Fred Spink, Jr. (Margaret)
1924
Thomas Ives
1924
Lewis Ives
1924
Ruth Spink
06/08/1924
Walter Howard
06/08/1924
Mrs. Allison Ives (Marion Gibson)
06/08/1924
Lewis Howard
1926
William Grant
1926
James Elmer Bartlett
10/26/1926
Mrs. Ralph Balcom (Hannah)
1926
Naomi Clark
1926
Alice Johnson
1927
Mrs. Irwin Rockwood (Ruth )
1928
Beatrice Johnson
11/1928
Lyle Howard
1929
Mrs. Ivan Taft (Betrice)*
1930
Mabel Grant*
1931
Victor Simons*
1931
Mrs. Victor Simons* (Freda )
1932
Mrs. Leon Bartlett *Evan(
1932
Mrs. Maud Bartlett (Looker)
12/30/1932
Mrs. Eugene Johnson (Lena)
1934
Mrs. Earl Sheldon (Marjorie )
1934
James Sheldon
1934
Willard Rowlee
1934
Byron Grant
1932
Mrs. Thomas Ives (Ann )
1932
Irene Lewis Chapman
1934
Mrs. Paul Kimball (Dora )
1939
Mrs. Raymond Kerfein (Bertha )
1939
Byron Rowlee
1939
Robert Whalon
1939
Helen Burdick Wood*
1940
Leon Weldon
1940
Gordon Taft
1940
Robert Taft
1940
Fred Spink, Jr.
1940
Mrs. George Reese (Mabel )
03/31/1940
Paul Kimball
05/04/1941
Bruce Osborne
05/04/1941
Mrs. Lyle Howard (Hazel 
05/04/1941
Harry Smith
05/04/1941
Mrs. Harry Smith (Beverly )
05/04/1941
Mrs. Foster Bunn (Bernice)
05/05/1941
Amos DePuy
04/26/1942
Mrs. David Parsons (Melrose) 
04/26/1942
Mrs. Willard Whitney (Marie )
04/26/1942
Mrs. Wallace Cook (Nellie (sic)
02/25/1943
Mrs. Olin Allen (Ellen )
04/25/1943
Mrs. Elliott Wright (Joyce )
04/25/1943
Mrs. William Stevens (Lina )
04/25/1943
Clinton Osborne
06/13/1943
William Rath
06/13/1943
Mrs. William Rath (Margaret )
1944
Mrs. James Sheldon (Dorothy) 
12/02/1945
Mrs. Raymond DeCaire (Emma )
12/02/1945
Mrs. Walter Forbes (Essie )
12/02/1945
Waler Forbes
12/02/1945
Grace Looker Ebblie
12/02/1945
Mrs. Robert Ives (Louise )*
12/02/1945
Mrs. Earl Auringer (Laura(sic)
04/01/1945
Mrs. Fay Sanford (Beverly )
04/14/1946
Charles Foster
04/14/1946
Willis Rice
04/14/1946
Mrs. Claud Rice (Doris )
04/06/1947
John Howard
04/06/1947
Mrs. Chas. Denniston (Mary )
04/06/1947
Foster Rockwood
03/14/1948
Mrs. Delos Distin (Martha )
04/10/1949
Mrs. Donald Howard (Sara)*
04/10/1949
Mrs. Kenneth Rusaw (Marlene )
04/10/1949
Claude Rice 
04/10/1949
Mrs. Harold Hubbard (Susie )
04/10/1949
Mrs. Earl Lockwood (Dawn )
04/10/1949
Mrs. George Bartlett (Ernestine)*
04/10/1949
Jane Auringer Meador
07/1949
Mrs. Bruce Osborne (Janet Albee)*
04/09/1950
Mrs. Robert Northrup (Marj *
04/09/1950
Mrs. Nicholas Mansfield (Marion) *
1951
Ivan Taft
04/1951
Mrs. James Sachel (Phyllis )
1951
Fay Sanford
04/1951
Warren Rockwood
04/1951
Neil Lockwood
04/1951
Ira Ives, Jr.
04/1951
Mrs. James Davies (Evadna )
06/10/1951
Mrs. John Boone (Clara (sic)
06/10/1951
John Emery Boone
1952
Mrs. Neil Lockwood (Janet Ellis)
04/13/1952
Lance Rath
04/13/1952
Amos Hubbard
02/29/1953
Mrs. Nelson Pepper (Dorothy )
03/29/1953
Mrs. Byron Rowlee (Ella )*
03/29/1953
Milton Distin
03/29/1953
Harold Whitney*
03/29/1953
Mrs. Harold Whitney (Shirley )
04/18/1954
Mrs. Stephen Wood (Kathy )
04/18/1954
Mrs. Richard Sherman (Linda )
04/18/1954
Mrs. Richard Miller (Betty )
04/18/1954
Mrs. Gerald Davis (Marjorie )
04/03/1955
Mrs. Donald Schmidt (Kathryn )
04/03/1955
Mrs. Alton Martin (Virginia )
10/16/1955
George Wise
01/22/1956
Walter Youngs*
01/22/1956
Mrs. Walter Youngs (Leta) *
04/01/1956
Mrs. Willis Rice (Ruby )
04/01/1956
Mrs. Frank Motyka (Audrey )
04/01/1956
Donald Kitts*
04/01/1956
Mrs. Donald Kitts (Claudine) *
04/01/1956
Mary Elizabeth Howard 
04/01/1956
Leonard Gove
04/01/1956
Mrs. Leonard Gove (Viola )*
04/01/1956
Lila Lamond Colgrove
04/14/1957
Mrs. George Truell Sr. (Arlene (sic)*
04/14/1957
Arthur Smith
04/14/1957
Herbert Miller
04/14/1957
Mrs. Dennis Lockwood (Elaine )
04/14/1957
Kevin Howard
04/14/1957
Mrs. Leonard Daniels (Gladys )
03/22/1959
Mrs. Dan Jerose (Marion )
03/22/1959
Byron Rowlee Jr.
03/22/1959
David Kimball
12/13/1959
Earl Bartholomew*
12/13/1959
Mrs. Earl Bartholomew (Betty )*
12/13/1959
William DeBois
12/13/1959
Mrs. James Forbes (Brenda) 
12/13/1959
Mrs. Martin Nielsen (Janet )
04/10/1960
Mrs. Zapalla (Sandra )
04/10/1960
Christine Taft
04/10/1960
Mrs. Arthur Sernandes (Sue )
04/10/1960
Mrs. Louis Roy (Betty) 
04/10/1960
Mrs. Casmir Koval (Joann )
04/10/1960
George Reese
04/10/1960
Clyde Osborne
04/10/1960
Mrs. John Howard (Joyce (sic)*
04/10/1960
Mrs. Victor Guerrera (Marjorie (sic)*
12/18/1960
Mrs. Henry Loomis (Muriel (sic)*
06/19/1960
Harold Sickler
04/10/1960
Mrs. Harold Sickler (Rosemary )
12/18/1960
Mrs.Smith (Ruby )
12/18/1960
William Sobel
12/24/1961
Mrs. Foster Blackwood (Rae )
1962
Mrs. Byron Grant (Lucille) 
04/15/1962
Martha Whitney
04/15/1962
Allen Kitts
04/15/1962
Wendall Howard
05/13/1962
Robert DeCaire
06/15/1962
Cathy Taft
01/1963
Karl Richards*
01/1963
Mrs. Karl Richards (Jacqueline (sic)*
03/29/1964
Mrs. Charles Smart (Claudia )
01/1964
Dr. Richard Hubbard*
03/29/1964
April Kimball
04/18/1965
Ivan Parsons*
04/18/1965
Mrs. Ivan Parsons (Fern )*
04/18/1965
Mrs. John Bellinger (Zeleta (sic)*
04/18/1965
Edward Bellinger
05/16/1965
Raymond DeCaire
05/16/1965
James DeCaire
05/16/1965
Karen DeCaire
05/16/1965
Stephen Durfey
05/16/1965
Mrs. Stephen Durfey (Naomi )
05/16/1965
Kris Kimball
05/16/1965
Colleen Parsons
12/10/1965
Clarence Albee*
12/10/1965
Mrs. Clarence Albee (Carrie (sic)*
04/03/1966
Pamela Taft
04/03/1966
Deborah Kitts
04/10/1966
Gary Northrup
04/10/1966
Alan Northrup
04/10/1966
Louis Roy
04/10/1966
Mrs. D. Glenn VanBuren (Leitha )
04/10/1966
James Carr
04/10/1966
Mrs. James Carr (Dawn (sic)*
04/10/1966
William Stevens
04/10/1966
Mark Stevens
04/10/1966
Wesley Stevens
04/10/1966
Bernard Grant
04/10/1966
Mrs. Bernard Grant (Oma) 
03/26/1967
William Yardley
03/26/1967
Mrs. William Yardley (Linda )
03/26/1967
Larry Durfey
03/26/1967
Lyle Whitney
03/26/1967
Toby Sickler
03/26/1967
Richard Whitney
03/26/1967
Mrs. Willard Rowlee (Laura )
03/26/1967
Merilee Howard
03/26/1967
Craig Howard
04/14/1968
LeRoy Lyons
04/14/1968
Mrs. LeRoy Lyons (Barbara )
04/14/1968
Arthur Dumont
04/14/1968
Mrs. Arthur Dumont (Virginia )
04/14/1968
Bruce Dumont
04/14/1968
Brian Dumont
04/14/1968
Gerald Graham
04/14/1968
Mrs. Gerald Graham (Judy) 
12/24/1968
Donald Turk*
04/13/1969
Pat Kenyon
04/13/1969
Margaret Kenyon
04/13/1969
Mark Dumont
04/13/1969
Brian Richards
04/13/1969
Frank Smith
04/13/1969
Scott Stevens
05/04/1970
Bonnie Munson
05/04/1970
Linda Munson
05/04/1970
Shelley Sanford
05/04/1970
Henry Downer
05/04/1970
Earl Lockwood Sr.
05/04/1970
Earl Lockwood Jr.
05/04/1970
Denise Rusaw

*transferred in by letter

Names of people in 1964 choir:

Front left to right:Director Fern Parsons, Louise Osborne, Shelley Sanford, Rhonda Sanford, Colleen Parsons, Shelley Loomis.

2nd row:Kris Kimball, Mark Stevens, Deborah Wiggins Collins, Caroline Gick, Lora Lee Osborne Rowlee, April Kimball, Martha Whitney.

3rd row:Clyde Osborne, Sharon Lyons, Betty Whitney Roy, Byron Rowlee Jr., Ricky Hall, Claudine Parsons Smart.

(insert photo of church from south view)

END OF DOCUMENT

Transcribed by Aaron  Howard, January 2, 2003


Back to Town of Volney
Back to Oswego County NYGenWeb
Copyright © Jan 2 2003 Byron Rowlee & Aaron Howard Transcriber
All Rights Reserved
)