|Page 43. NEW LISBON. Area 26,899 Acres. Population 1,225.
This township was organized in 1806. Among the earliest settlers were
Elnathan Noble from whom Noblesville was named. Increase Thurston,
Linus N. Chapin, a surveyor, Joseph Neff, a famous violinist, Elias
Cummings, William Gregory, Amos Perry, John Cope and Remington Kenyon,
Benjamin Cutler, a soldier of the war of 1812, came from Vermont in
1799. He died in Mt. Vision in 1871, at the age of 101 years and five
Garrattsville was named for John Garratt. He and his wife were carried
into captivity by the Indians and held by them seven years. It is
related that when they saw the Indians approaching their cabin, Mrs.
Garratt seized her clock and silverware and fled out the back door,
concealing the silver under an inverted pig trough, while the clock was
hastily thrown over the garden fence. After an absence of seven years
they returned to find their clearing covered with underbrush and weeds,
but there, under the pig trough, was found the silver, and down by the
garden fence the old clock.
VILLAGES: Garrattsville (population 253), and New Lisbon, formerly
Noblesville (population 169). Lena and Welcome are rural postoffices.
Stetsonville is a hamlet with a postoffice at New Lisbon.
SCHOOLS: Number of districts 16; number of teachers 16; children of
school age 263.
CHURCHES: At Garrattsville, Methodist, United Presbyterian, and an
Episcopal Mission; at Welcome, Baptist; at New Lisbon, Episopal.
Transcribed by Karen Flanders Eddy.