Putnam County, New York
The ancestor of this family was Elnathan Doane, who came from Cape Cod, probably as early as 1745. He and his son, Elnathan, were tenants of a large farm on Lot No. 6 in Philipse Patent, in 1768, but the old homestead, which is still in possession of his descendants, was the north part of Lot 11 on the Oblong, their nearest neighbor being Rev. Elisha Kent, who owned the south half of the lot.
Elnathan Doane, 2d, was born in 1747, and died August 3d, 1806. He was twice married; first to Phebe Griffin, who died June 10th, 1788, aged 32, and second to Deborah Penny. His children were:
Lewis Doane married Julia Kniffen, and their children were: Edmond, Benjamin, who died young; and Mary E., wife of Edwin Dixon.
Of these, Edmond Doane was born in 1841, and is now living on the estate which has been in possession of the family since the first settlement. In 1877 he was sheriff of Putnam county, and held that office till 1880. Devoting much of his time to travel he has at various times visited different portions of this country, Canada and Europe. Mr. Doane married Carrie, daughter of Dr. Nathan W. Wheeler. She died in 1881, leaving no children.
Augustus S. Doane was born July 6th, 1822, on the old homestead of his ancestors, which he afterward puchased from the rest of the heirs. during his entire life his principal business has been agriculture on his large estate.
For many years he held the offices of justice of the peace, assessor, and justice of Sessions, and is one of the prominent citizens of the town and county. He married Mrs. Julia Doane, widow of his brother, Lewis Doane. They hae not children.
The Doane farm, which is one of the largest estates in the county, was originally a small part of Lot 11 on the Oblong. The original homestead was built very near the present residence. A line of stone wall a short distrance west of the homestead, and a few feet east of a tenant house on the estate, marks the old Oblong line. The original farm has been largely increased at various times by judicious purchases, and it now embraces a tract of more than 700 acres. From this family the neighborhood has ever borne the name of Doansburg.
In the burying ground is a tombstone to the memory of "Ruth, widow of Reuben Doane, who died September 30th, 1801, aged 69." It is probable that Reuben Doane was an elder brother of Elnathan, 2d, and left no descendants.
Zenas and Demas Doane lived east of the village of Brewster, on the place where the Borden condensed Milk Factory now stands. From them the neighborhood was formerly known as Doanesville.
Source: pages 487 to 489.
Return to the Table of Contents for Chapter XXIII.
Return to the Town of Southeast .
Return to the Table of Contents for the History of Putnam County .
Return to the main Putnam County page.
Return to NYGenWeb web site.
© 1998-2004 Cathy Horn. All Rights Reserved.