genweb.gif

NYGenWeb Putnam County, New York
History of Putnam County

NYGenWeb

Chapter XXIX

Personal Sketches
Town of Carmel


Web Editor's Note: The bolding of the surnames was done by the web editor and is not printed this way in Pelletreau's "History...".

This page was last updated: Monday, 04-Sep-2000 09:37:47 MDT

Allen Adams
was born in Putnam Valley in 1853, and was married in 185 to Estella Knapp, of East Fishkill, Dutchess, County, N.Y. He is a farmer and stock dealer.
George Agor
was born in Carmel, August 24th, 1824, and is a descendant of an old Putnam county family. He was educated at the public schools and follows the business of farming. He has held several offices of trust in the town. He was married in 1854 to Mary Jane Hyatt, of Carmel, whose father, George L. Hyatt, was in the war of 1812. Mr. Agor is a successful and representative citizen.
Harrison Agor
was born in Carmel in 1818, and was married to Jane Austin of the same town in 1852. They have four children. His father, Charles, grandfather, William, and great-grandfather , Charles, all lived in this county. Mr. Agor was educated at the public schools and is a farmer.
Kelsie Agor,
a farmer of Carmel, was born there in 1858, and was educated in the common schools. He has been excise commissioner two years. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Mahopac Falls. He was married to Sarah Amanda Curry, of Carmel.
Millard F. Agor,
a merchant of Carmel, was born in that town in 1858, and was graduated from the State Normal School at Albany. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather, named respectively, Elisha C., Orrin and William, were residents of this county. The family is of Scotch origin.
George Anderson,
proprietor of the well-known Anderson House, Lake Mahopac, was born in New York city in 1824, and came to this county in 1856. He was among the first to engage in the hotel business at Lake Mahopac. Previous to his removal to Putnam county he was a merchant in his native city. He is a prominent Mason and Odd Fellow.
Charles L. Austin
was born in Carmel in 1844, on the homestead where he still resides, and which has been in possession of the family for over 100 years. He was educated at the common schools and Mahopac Academy, and follows the business of farming. he was married to Miss Odell, of Carmel. He has held the office of supervisor five years and is a member of the Presbyterian Church, Mahopac Falls.
Smith S. Austin,
born in Carmel in 1830, is the son of Robert, and grandson of Smith Austin, both of whom were residents of this county. He was educated in the common schools, is a farmer, and lives on the homestead which has been in possession of the family over 100 years. He was married in 1859 to Mary J. Hill.
Lewis Baker
was born in Patterson in 1831, attended the public schools, and is a miller. He married Anna Lockwood, of Carmel, in 1860.
Jackson Perry Ballard
was born in Carmel in 1820, was educated at private school in Carmel village, was a merchant at Mahopac 20 years, built the Lake House at same place, and has also been engaged in farming. He was a captain in the militia, has been postmaster at Mahopac and town clerk of Carmel. He was married in 1844 to Sarah Hyatt, of Putnam Valley. His father, Benjamin, and grandfather, Tracy, were residents of the county. He has one daughter, Naomi, wife of J.B.F. Hawkins of Yorktown, Westchester county.
Reuben Barger
was born in Putnam Valley in 1830, was educated at the common schools and is a farmer. He was married in 1879 to Philena S. Requa, a native of Putnam Valley.
Coleman R. Barrett
was born in Kent in 1843, was educated at the public schools, and has followed the business of farming. He was a director of the First Nat. Bank of Carmel three terms. He was married to Emma E. Cole, of Carmel village, in 189. His father, Stevens R., grandfather, John, and great-grandfather, Marquis, were residents of Putnam county.
Ebenezer Barrett,
a farmer of Carmel, was born in that town in 1818, was educated at the common schools, and was married in 1852 to Hester Barrett, of Carmel. They have only child, Abigail, who married Silas Austin, of Carmel.
Henry Barrett,
son of Samuel and grandson of John, both residents of this county, was born in Kent in 1840, was educated at public schools, and follows the business of a merchant. He has been poormaster, and is postmaster at Mahopac Falls.
Moseman Barrett
was born in Carmel in 1826, and was educated at the public schools. He has been a deacon in the Babtist (sic) church, Mahopac Falls, for 25 years and a trustee a number of years. His first wife was Gay, whom he married in 1849, and his second, Cornelia Ludington, sister of Harrison Ludington, governor of Wisconsin. he has one son living, George D.
Edward Borel
was born in Switzerland in 1851, came to America with his parents about 1861, and located in Connecticut. He came to Putnam county in 183. He was married in 1871 to Hulda Shrimer, of New York city. He is a barber and tobacconist.
Charles T. Brewster
was born in Philipstown in 1814, attended the public schools, has been a farmer and has pursued other callings. He was collector of Philipstown five years, superintendent of poor of county one term, supervisor Philipstown two years, was elected sheriff in 1855, was member of Assembly in 1860, and sheriff again in 1861. He was married in 1841 to Mary A. Van Winkle of Philipstown.
Sela Buckbee
was born in Putnam Valley in 1836, and was graduated from Claverack Academy and Hudson River Institute, Columbia county, N. Y. He is a contractor and builder, and erected the Thompson House, public school building at Carmel and many others in the county. He was married to Martha A. Smith, of Putnam Valley, in 1870.
Wallace C. Carver,
born in Carmel in 1854, and educated at the common schools, is a farmer and stock dealer. He is a son of Stephen and grandson of Barnabas Carver of Carmel.
H. C. Cole
was born in Carmel in 1841, was educated at the public schools, and is a farmer. He was married in 1867 to Hannah Carver, by whom he has four children. Allen Cole, father of H.C. Cole, was born in Kent in 1808, married Susan Cole of Carmel in 1840, and died December 28th, 1880.
Tillot Cole,
miller and farmer, was born in Kent December 29th, 1811, was educated at the public schools and was married in 1842 to Zillah Nichols, by whom he has two children, George R. and Lewis E., now doing business in Carmel village. His father, Daniel H., and grandfather, Deacon Daniel, were both millers and residents of Kent.
W. J. Corbin
was born in Dutchess county in 1855, came to Putnam county in 1878, and is engaged in business in Carmel village. He was married to Miss N.B. Martin, of Duchess county.
John Cornish
was born in Poughkeepsie, October 18th, 1823, and was in his fiftieth year at the time of his death. At the age of eighteen years he commenced to learn the trade of a segar maker, with an uncle who resided in New York city. For the first year of his apprenticeship he received thirty dollars, which he disbursed in a manner that affords an index to his whole life. Ten dollars he gave to the church, ten to his mother, and the balance constituted the sum total of his resources for the year. On the 28th of April, 1845, he married Frances Emma French, and soon thereafter opened a small retail segar and tobacco store in Avenue D. In 1849 he commenced manufacturing tobacco, and his business increased and prospered and soon became a source of large revenue. In 1862, having amassed a handsome competency, he sold the business to D. H. McAlpine & Co., who still continue it. He removed to Carmel in 1861, where he resided, an honored and useful member of society. In the spring of 1870 he was elected supervisor of the town of Carmel, and in the fall of the same year was elected county treasurer, which position he held at the time of his death.
Howard E. Craft
was born in Carmel in 1844, was educated at the public schools, Drewville Institute and Reed's Arcadian High School, and has followed the business of teacher and merchant. He was married to Sarah O. Smith, of Carmel, in 1875. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather, named respectively, William D., Stephen, David and also his great-great-grandfather, were residents of this county and descendants from the Pilgrims. The post office at Craft's was named after the family.
R. B. Davis
was born in Montgomery county, N. Y., in 1828, and came to Putnam county in 1861. He was educated at the public schools and at Lancaster School at Cherry Valley, Otsego county. He has been a merchant in Ulster county, wholesale grocer in New York city, general merchant in Carmel village, and is now engaged in farming. He was married in 1860 to Lydia N. Lefevre, of Ulster county.
Jonathan Dean
was born in Caramel in 1796, married Permelia Price in 1821, and has three children living: Juliet, Elmira and Andrew J. He is a farmer. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and draws a pension for that service.
Joshua L. Dean
was born in Carmel in 1839, was educated at Raymond Seminary, and is engaged in the hotel business. He is married to Cassie E. Jackson of Carmel.
Sylvester Dean
was born in Carmel in 1808, attended the public schools, and is a farmer.
Alfred Dingee
was born in Somers, Westchester county, in 1822, where the family have lived over 100 years. He is a farmer, and has been assessor of Carmel four terms. He is a member of the Methodist church of Shrub Oak. He was married in 1849 to Sarah M. Hyatt of Yorktown, Westchester county. They have one child, Emma C., wife of Franklin Agor.
John Drew
was born in Southeast in 1829, was educated in the common schools, first became a farmer and for 30 years was a stock dealer and shipper. He is a nephew of the late Daniel Drew. He was married in 1845, to Susan Smith, of Orange county, a native of New York city.
James A. Foshay
was born in Philipstown, November 25th, 1856. In 1857, his parents removed to Park's Corners, where James spent his boyhood and received the education advantages of the district school. he was thoroughly imbued with the spirit of self-help, and when not employed with farm duties, improved his time by study. At the age of 18 he entered the State Normal School at Albany, and while taking the normal course, taught to obtain the money to defray his expenses. He graduated in June, 1879. He has taught three years in the public schools of Putnam county, and has done considerable private teaching. He has given considerable attention to vocal music. In 1881 he was elected school commissioner of Putnam county, and was re-elected in 1884; the office he now holds. In 1882, largely through his efforts, the Putnam County Teachers' Association was organized. In 1885 he was elected secretary of the New York State Association of School Commissioners and superintendents, and re elected in January, 1886. He married Miss Phebe P. Miller, daughter of John G. Miller, Esq., March 18th, 1885.
Ellsworth Fowler
was born in Bedford, Westchester county, N. Y., in 1862. His parents were old settlers in that county. He came to Putnam county in 1884, and in 1885 began business on his own account as a contractor and builder. Among the buildings erected by him is the Mohansic M. E. Church, at Yorktown, Westchester county.
Henry A. Gahn
was born in New York city in 1812, was educated there, removed to Putnam county in 1842, where he followed the business of farming, and died in 1863. He was supervisor of Carmel several years. He married Rosalinda Crane. Their children were: Henrietta M., married H. O. Horton; Mary D., (deceased), married George M. Quimby; Jane F.; Julia F.; Henry A., married a daughter of Judge Wright; William E.; and Amelia B., married John B. Frost.
Jonet Ganong
was born in Carmel in 1897, was educated in the common schools, and followed the business of farming. He held the office of road commissioner. He married Miss C. Cole in 1829. She died in May, 1885. Their children were Emily and Oscar. His grandfather, Reuben, served in the Revolution and his father, Daniel, in the War of 1812.
O. Ganong
was born in Carmel in 1834, was educated in the common schools, and followed the business of farming until 1877, when he became a merchant at Mahopac. He has held the offices of trustee and treasurer of the Union Valley Church. he married Deborah A. Travis, of Carmel.
Jeremiah L. Green
was born in Bedford, Westchester county, N. Y., in 1824, and came to Putnam county about 1838. He follows the business of farming. He was a fireman of Engine Co. No. 10, New York City Volunteer Fire Department, and was a truckman in the same city 23 years. He married Hannah Ballard, of Carmel, in 1848.
Charles B. Gregory
was born in the town of Southeast in 849, was educated at the Ridgefield Academy, Conn., and has followed the business of farmer and miller. His father, George W., and grandfather, James, were residents of Putnam county. He was married in 1878, to Ida Cole, of Putnam county.
A. W. Hadden
was born in Carmel in 1839, on the homestead where he now resides, which has been owned by the family about 75 years. He was educated at the common schools and at the Academy at Red Mills, and has followed the business of farmer, contractor and builder. He has been supervisor of Carmel three terms, town auditor one term, and a trustee of the Presbyterian Church at Mahopac Falls 16 years. He was married in 1862, to Fannie A. Hazen, of Kent.
Anson Hazen
was a farmer and a native of Carmel. He married Hannah Townsend, of Kent, by whom he had five children, all deceased, except Carrie E., who married William Baxter, and resides on the homestead. His death occurred in 1877.
Cornelius Hill
was born in Carmel in 1832, was graduated from the Normal School at Albany in 1851, and has been a teacher 25 years. He is also engaged in farming. He was married in 1862 to Harriet A. Brush, of Connecticut.
Jackson Hill
was born in Carmel in 1821, and is a farmer. He married Elizabeth Hart of Westchester county.
Abram Hoag
was born in Carmel in 1817, and was educated at the common schools and at Nine Partners. He is a farmer. In 1843 he married Clementina Tompkins of Westchester county.
Addison J. Hopkins
was born in Carmel in 1812. His father, Solomon, grandfather, Jeremiah, great-grandfather, Solomon, and great-great-grandfather, Joseph, were all residents of this county. The family originally came from Massachusetts and are descended from Stephen Hopkins, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Mr. Hopkins was educated at the common schools and is a farmer and stockdealer. He was assessor of Kent one term and supervisor of the same town. He was coroner one term and county treasurer one term. For many years he was a director of the Putnam County National Bank. He was married in 1855 to Louisa M. Blair, of Aurora, O.
George H. Howes,
a farmer, was born in Southeast in 1829, was educated in the common schools and Quaker Hill Academy, Dutchess county, and married Laura Jane Drew, of Southeast, in 1849.
David C. Hughson
was born in Carmel in 1837, was educated in the public schools and at Thomas Reed's Arcadian High School, at Carmel, is a farmer, and was married to Charlotte Townsend, of Kent, in 1859.
George M. Hughson,
son of Russell, and grandson of James Hughson, both residents of this county, was born in Carmel, in 1832, was educated at the common schools, and is a farmer. He was married to Mariette Townsend of Kent.
Alvah Hyatt
was born in Kent, in 1828, attended the public schools, and is a farmer (260 acres), and extensively engaged in the dairy business. He is a member of one of the old families of the county, and a member of the Baptist church.
William H. Jewell
was born in Irvington, Westchester county, in 1840, and is a descendant of an old family of that county. He came to Putnam county in 1862, and located at Carmel village as a carriage manufacturer. He married in 1860 to Mary M. Carpenter, of Tarrytown. Mr. Jewell has been for many years a trustee of the Drew M. E. Church.
Thomas F. Kelley
was born in Carmel in 1839, attended the public schools and the Drew Seminary, and is a farmer. His father, Ebenezer Kelley, was born in Carmel, in 1798, and married Huldah Foster, of Carmel.
James F. Kennard
was born in Somers, Westchester county, in 1832. The family is of English descent. Mr. Kennard is a graduate of the Peekskill Academy. He is married to Aritie P. Beyea, of Somers, and he came to this county in 1862.
Erastus R. Knapp
was born in Carmel in 1830. The family have lived in this county more than 100 years. Mr. Knapp is a graduate of the public schools of New York city. He is a farmer. He married Louisa Knapp, of Carmel, and has three children.
John L. Knapp
was born in Putnam Valley, September 1st, 1798, and died in 1868. November 5th, 1829, he was married to Mary Strang. Their children were: Matilda A., David, Sylvanus, Jane, Mary Lucretia, Ann, Emma, and Libbie.
Caleb Kniffin
was born in Somers, Westchester county, N.Y., in 1818. In 1853 he came to Putnam county and purchased the farm where he is now living. He was married in 1844, to Elizabeth Hitt, and has three children.
Gilbert Kniffin
was born in Somers in 1816, and is a farmer. He was a member of the militia in early days. He married Rebecca Cassell, of Somers. She died in 1862. Their children were: Sarah, Elizabeth, William, David, and Julia (deceased).
David Lockwood
was born in Carmel in 1846. His father established Lockwood's Hotel in Carmel village in 1852. Mr. Lockwood was educated at Thomas Reeds Arcadian High school. In 1881 he married Frances E. Craft, daughter of Lyman and Priscilla Craft, who reside near Lake Gilead. Mr. Lockwood is the owner and proprietor of the hotel, which he successfully conducts.
Charles F. Longnecker,
surgeon dentist, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in 1854, was educated in Boston, Mass., and was graduated from the Boston Dental College in 1879. He has practiced in Hudson, mass., and in Brooklyn and Peekskill, N. Y., and came to Carmel village in July, 1885. In 1884 he was married to Emma, daughter of James Barrett.
Hosea F. Lounsbery
was born in Carmel in 1837. The family have resided over 70 years on the farm where Mr. Lounsbery now lives. He married Mary Elizabeth Agor. She died and he married Elizabeth Curry, of Yorktown, Westchester county.
Thomas Manning,
born in Carmel in 1855, educated at the public schools, is in the employ of the Department of Public Works of New York city, having charge of the storage reservoirs at Boyd's Corners and Southeast, and the natural lakes over which the city has control in Putnam county. He was married in 1884, to Jennie Carr, of Mahopac.
William O. Mead
was born in Southeast in 1833. he is a progressive citizen and an extensive farmer. He has been elected to the office of supervisor of Carmel two successive terms. In 1857, he was married to Jane Mulligan, of Westchester county.
David Merrick
was born in Putnam county in 1822. His parents were early settlers of the county. He married Harriet E. Bailey, of Southeast.
George Pinckney
was born in Carmel in 1842 and is a farmer. He married Eliza Warren, of Philipstown, daughter of an old Putnam county family.
George L. Post
was born in Putnam Valley in 1855, and married Dollie Lockwood, of New York, in 1874. He is a blacksmith.
George Purcell
was born in Carmel in 1849. His father, Platt Purcell, was a resident of this county but a native of Ireland. Mr. Purcell is a druggist and general merchant. In 1870, he married Antoinette N. Parker, of Somers, Westchester county, N. Y.
Adam Rice
was born in Germany in 1822, came to America in 1849, and settled in Putnam county in 1851. He married Sarah Matimore, of Carmel, December 21st, 1853. They have ten children, all living.
G. P. Schineller
was born in Germany in 1839, and came to America in 1868, and to Putnam county in 1869. He is a hotel keeper. In 1868, he was married to Margaret Fether, of Bavaria.
E. H. Senior
was born in London, England, in 1816, and, at the age of nine months, came with his parents to America. He was for a time engaged in the piano business, and later became the most prominent undertaker in New York city. He had charge of the burial of Henry Clay, and many other distinguished men. He was lieutenant of militia and a member of the old 40 Engine Company. In 1836, he was married to Manda M. Sears, of New York. In 1850, he came to Putnam county and later purchased and improved a beautiful home overlooking Lake Mahopac. He died at this place in 1868, and was buried in Greenwood Cemetery.
Nathaniel D. Shaw
was born in Carmel in 1840. He received his education in the common schools and at Raymond Collegiate Institute. He is farmer. For six years he was commissioner of highways.
Amzi Slawson
was born in Carmel in 1824 and died in 1882. He was educated in the common schools and followed the business of farming. In 1848, he was married to Elizabeth Lee of Putnam Valley. The children of this marriage were, Silas, Abijah, Cornelia, and Clara.
Andrew J. Smith
was born in Carmel in 1827, was educated in the public schools, and has followed the business of farming. His first wife was Susan Potter, and his present wife, Mary R. Benjamin. He is a member of the Methodist Church of German Flats.
James Smith
was born in Carmel in 1801, attended public schools, and is a farmer. He was married, in 1832, to Emma Angevine, of North Salem, Westchester county. They had five children. One son, Webster, was captain of Co. G., 6th N. Y. Artillery, during the Rebellion. Another son, Darius H., was 1st corporal of 4th N. Y. Independent Battery.
Saxton E. Smith
was born in Putnam county in 1847, and educated in the common schools and at the academy at Drewville. He is a farmer and a flour and feed merchant. He was married, in 1875, to Delicy C. Carver, a native of Putnam county, and for several years a teacher in New York.
George E. Sunderlin
was born in Carmel in 1836. His father, Daniel H., and grandfather, John, were both residents of the county. He was educated at the public schools and at Hamilton Academy in Hamilton, Madison county, N. Y. He is an undertaker. He was town clerk of Carmel one term. He was married in 1862 to Amanda A. Pickney of Carmel.
Harrison H. Travis
was born on the old homestead in Carmel in 1829, attended public schools and Peekskill Academy, and is farmer. He was married in 1856 to Sarah A. Boyd, of Kent, and has one son, Howard B. Travis.
Joseph C. Viault
was born near Montreal, Canada, in 1849, and was educated in common schools and Joliette College. He came to Putnam County in 1871, and located at Carmel. In 1882 he located at Mahopac. He is a carriage manufacturer. He married Lena U. Borel, of New York city, in 1871.
Denzil A. Webb
was born in Lewisboro, Westchester county, in 1844. He came to Putnam county in 1883, and opened a general store in Carmel village which business he still pursues. He married Miss A. L. Miller of Westchester county.
Ira S. Westcott
was born in North Salem, Westchester county, in 1856, attended public schools, was a teacher seven years, and is now a merchant at Mahopac. He came to Putnam county in 1884.
Matthew T. Whalen
was born in New York city in 1859, and came to Putnam county in 1866. He was educated at public schools in Putnam county and Albany city. His business is express and railroad agent. He has been excise commissioner one term.
James Wilson
was born in Carmel March 11th, 1826, on the old homestead near where he now resides. He was educated in the common schools and is a farmer. February 7th, 1849, he married Lauretta H. Mabie, of Patterson, daughter of an old family. His children are: Rena Estelle, Emma Josephine and Charles Arthur (deceased).
Nathaniel Wixom
was born in Carmel in 1814. His parents and grand-parents were also residents of Putnam county. He attended public schools and is a farmer. In 1842 he married Sarah Barrett of Carmel, daughter of John Barrett, whose wife, Sarah, is still living at the advanced aged of 98 years.
John Wood
was born in Southeast in 1815, was educated in the common schools, and is a farmer. He married Laura B. Rogers of Patterson, now deceased. He has three children, Henry, Laura Jane, and Henrietta.
Benjamin Zane Worth
was born in the city of Albany, N. Y., where he was educated. He married Lucretia M. Vail of the town of Carmel, a descendant of an old Putnam county family. Mr. Worth died in 1883, and is buried in Raymond Cemetery, Carmel. He was a successful contractor and assisted as such in building the tunnel through New York for the Hudson River Railroad. He was inspector of masonry of Harlem River Railroad, also head inspector of masonry in the building of the reservoir at Boyd's Corners.

(sic) = spelling is correct. [Web Editor's Note: I've retained the spelling as found in Pelletreau's "History of Putnam County..." even where it is an apparent misspelling.]

Return to the Table of Contents for Chapter XXIX of the History of Putnam County.

Return to the Table of Contents for the History of Putnam County .

Return to the main page of Putnam County web site.

Return to NYGenWeb web site.


These pages are maintained by the Putnam County Coordinator, Cathy Horn.

© 1998-2000  Cathy Horn. All Rights Reserved.

NYGenWeb's Putnam County — http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyputnam/