NYGenWeb Putnam County, New York
History of Putnam County
Town of Kent
[Web Editor's Note: The bolding of the surnames was done by the web editor and is not printed this way in Pelletreau's "History...".]
This page was last updated: Monday, 04-Sep-2000 09:37:50 MDT
- Ezra Colwell
- was born in Kent in 811. He is a farmer. He married Hannah Cole, of Kent. His decease occurred in 1882.
- William Colwell
- was born in Kent in 1800, and was a farmer. He married Polly Colwell, of Green county, N. Y. His death occurred in 1848.
- William C. Entrott
- was born in Putnam Valley in 1823, is a a farmer, and was educated at public schools. For five years he has been keeper of the poor of Putnam county. He married Phoebe Hopper, of Philipstown.
- Andrew J. Foshay
- was born in Philipstown in 1830, was educated at common schools, and has been merchant and farmer. Has been county coroner; also supervisor of Kent one term, road commissioner and justice, also justice of Sessions. He married in 1852 Emeline Griffin, of Philipstown.
- F. D. Haight
- was born in Kent in 1841, attended public schools, and is a farmer. He has been assessor of Kent 13 years.
- Joseph E. M. Hobby
- was born in Salem, Westchester county, and died in 1856. He was sheriff of Putnam county one term. He married Sarah Field, of Southeast. His son, Isaac E. Hobby, is married to Josephine R. Townsend, of Carmel. He is a farmer.
- William A. Hopkins
- was born in Carmel in 1818, was educated at the common and select schools, and is a farmer. In 1845, he married Hannah E. Sunderlin, of Carmel, daughter of Daniel H. Sunderlin. He has three children: Emma L., wife of Theodore Yeomans; Franklin A., married Emma L. Drew; and Edwin W., at Princeton College.
- Putnam Light
- was born in Genesse county, N. Y., in 1812, and came to Putnam county in 1813 in care of an uncle, Samuel Hawkins. He attended public schools and is a farmer. He married in 1839, Miss U. N. Smith. His second wife's maiden name was Miss A. J. Light. He has been assessor three terms.
- Frederick H. Ludington
- was born in Kent in 1833. He is a farmer. He married Mary J. Seaman, of East Peekskill, Dutchess county, N. Y.
- Charles Mead
- was born in Kent in 1826. He was educated in public schools and is a farmer. He has been supervisor of Kent three terms, and was also elected justice and town collector.
- Daniel K. Merritt
- was born in Patterson in 1830, and attended public school. He is proprietor of flouring mills, has been justice of peace eight years, and married Miss T. J. Tompkins of Kent.
- William A. Northup
- was born in Kent in 1829, and is a farmer. He was assessor of Kent three terms. He married Elizabeth Hyatt, of Carmel, in 1862.
- W. D. Northup
- was born in Kent in 1838, and educated at public schools, and is a farmer. He married Miss B.C. Kelley, of Southeast, in 1869.
- La Fayette Post
- was born in Kent in 1844, attended the public schools, and is a miller. He married Emma Bennett, of Kent.
- Peter G. Rickey
- was born in Dutchess county in 1821, and came to Putnam county in 1853. His death occurred in 1881. He married, in 1850, Catharine S. Dean, of Kent. Mr. Rickey was a farmer.
- James Robinson
- was born in Patterson in 1824, is a farmer, and was educated at public schools. He married Miss K. Robinson, of Kent.
- Lewis G. Robinson
- was born in Dutchess county, and came to Putnam county with his father about 1840. He attended the public schools, and is a farmer and stock dealer. He has been supervisor of Kent four terms, and was director of Putnam County Agricultural Society. He married Laura Henion, of Kent.
- Samuel Terry
- was born in Kent, in 1816, educated at common schools, and was a farmer. His death occurred in 1884. He was married 1837 to Susan Townsend, of Southeast. The children are Emily, Lucelia, and Uriah.
- Martin Stevens
- was born in Putnam Valley, in 1839, attended the public schools, and is a farmer. His father David, and grandfather, Edward, were residents of this county. He has been road commissioner, poormaster, and coroner several terms. He married Sarah O. Adams, of Putnam Valley, and has six children, of whom three are teachers and one a graduate of the State Normal School at Albany.
- Henry Townsend
- was born in Kent, in 1833, was a farmer, and married Angeline Barrett, of Kent. His death occurred in 1871.
- Eben Wixom
- was born in Ken, in 1815, is a farmer, and married Laura Robinson, of Kent, February 6th, 1839.
- Smith Worden
- was born in Kent, in 1817. He has been supervisor of Kent two terms, also elected town clerk. He went to California in 1849, and returned to Putnam county in 1865.
Return to the Table of Contents for Chapter XXIX of the History of Putnam County.
Return to the Table of Contents for the History of Putnam County .
Return to the main page of Putnam County web site.
Return to NYGenWeb web site.
These pages are maintained by the Putnam County Coordinator, Cathy Horn.
© 1998-2000 Cathy Horn. All Rights Reserved.
NYGenWeb's Putnam County — http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyputnam/