Astoria, a village in the Town of Newtown, is located upon the East River, near Hell Gate and was incorporated April 12, 1836.  It contains 5 churches, a female seminary, union school and several extensive manufactories.  It is particularly distinguished for its floral gardens and greenhouses.  It is connected with New York City by ferries, and is inhabited by many persons doing business in the city.  Population in 1860:  3,200.
Excerpts from Gazetteer of the State of New York, by J.H. French, 1860

 

 

Information Related to Astoria
  • Cemeteries
  • Census
  • Church Directories
  • Church Records
  • Court Records
  • Description and Travel
  • Directories
  • Emigration and Immigration
  • Gazetteers and Maps
  • Genealogy
  • History
  • Military History and Records
  • Naturalization and Citizenship
  • Newspapers
  • Obituaries
  • Schools
  • Statistics
  • Surnames
  • Bibliography

 

Bibliography

  • Gazetteer of the State of New York, J.H. French, 1860
  • Genealogical Resources in the New York Metropolian Area, Estelle M. Guzik, 1989
  • Guide to Naturalization Records of the United States, Christina K Schaefer, 1997
  • American Passenger Arrival Records, Michael Tepper, 1993
  • The Census Book, William Dollarhide, 2000
  • Vital Records Handbook, Thomas Jay Kemp, 2000
  • The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy, Val D. Greenwood, 2000

 

  Ancestry Immigration Collection


   
2001-2004ConnorsGenealogy