RENSSELAER COUNTY was taken from
Albany in 1791. Greatest length 30, greatest breadth 22 miles; centrally
distant from New York N. 156, and from Albany E. 10 miles. The eastern
portion of the country is broken and hilly, and in some places rather mountainous
and interspersed with fertile valleys. The central and western part
is diversified with hills, and a gently undulating surface. It has
extensive valleys and flats of alluvion, with a warm rich soil; and the
uplands have an easy soil, well adapted to the various purposes of agriculture.
There are an abundance of mill sites, and the numerous streams irrigate
every portion of the county. This county had partial settlements
at a very early period of our history, and has long sustained a very considerable
population. The whole of the county, except the towns of Schaghticoke,
Pittstown, Hoosick and north part of Lansingburg and part of Troy, is comprised
within the Rensselaerwyck patent, leased under the ordinary rent, in farms,
at ten bushels of wheat the hundred acres. The county contains 13
towns and the city of Troy. Pop. 60,303.
This is an independent not-for-profit web site affiliated with New York Roots Organization.