LANSINGBURG was taken from Troy and Brunswick in 1807, afterward enlarged by a portion from Schaghticoke. Pop. 3,330. Speigletown and Batestown are small villages, the former 3 miles N. from Lansingburg village, and the latter 1 mile S. The annexed engraving is from a view taken near the bridge, a short distance above the village, connecting it with Waterford. In the extreme distance on the right, the bridge over the Hudson at Troy is visible.
Lansingburg was incorporated in 1801. It is beautifully situated
on the Hudson, 3 miles N. of Troy, 9 N. from Albany, and 1 S. from Waterford.
Formerly it was called the "New City," and the rapidity of its growth at
that time excited wonder. The village is regularly laid out with
capacious streets in squares of 400 by 260 feet, and is a place of considerable
manufacturing and commercial business. There is here 2 Pres., 2 Meth.,
1 Baptist, 1 Episcopal, and 1 Universalist church, an academy in high repute,
2 printing offices, a bank, many mercantile stores, &c., and about
400 houses. Three of the sprouts of the Mohawk enter the Hudson near
the village, and the Cahoos Falls are often distinctly heard in the stillness
of the night.
Census for Town of Lansingburgh
Census for Village of Lansingburgh