C. W. Riley
C. W. Riley

Information on this page is from Landmarks of Rensselaer County, by George Baker Anderson (Syracuse, NY: D. Mason & Co, 1897), Part 3, "Biographical Sketches", page 60. Many thanks to John Hills of Portland, Oregon for typing it and submitting it to this website.

Riley, C. W., was born in Greenbush, January 13, 1851. He is a son of Edward and Mary (Vaughn) Riley, both born in Ireland. In 1841, his father, when a young man, came to Greenbush, and in 1850, [he] married Mary Vaughn, who had come with her parents to Greenbush in 1847. They soon removed to East Greenbush and settled on a farm, and are now residents of the town, practically retired.

C. W. Riley was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools and in Falsom's Business College, from which he graduated in 1869 and returned to the homestead, where he engaged in the milk business with his father and brothers and continued therein until April 1886. He then engaged in the boot and shoe business at 367 Broadway, East Albany, and has been very successful. He was collector and highway commissioner at East Greenbush for six years continuously from 1876 to 1882 and was elected coroner in 1879 and again in 1882.

He was married June 27, 1884 to Mary J. McDermott of Albany, at that time the organist in St. John's Church of Greenbush. To Mr Riley and wife were born six children: Edward, Mary and Lottie (twins who both died at the age of one year and five days), Florence, Paul and Eugene. Mr Riley was elected treasurer for the village of Greenbush in 1893 and re-elected in 1895. He is a member of Branch 37, CMBA, and also of the United Friends of Greenbush. Mary Vaughn, mother of Mrs. Riley, was a daughter of Dennis Vaughn, mentioned in another part of this work.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page