Ebenezer Stevens
Ebenezer Stevens

Information on this page is from History of Rensselaer Co., New York by Nathaniel Bartlett Sylvester, published in 1880.

The subject of this sketch is of English origin. It is related that as early as 1660 three brothers, Thomas, Richard, and Henry Stevens, settled in this country; that they distinguished themselves as soldiers in King Philip's war, and served as colonels.

Ebenezer Stevens, son of John and Elizabeth Stevens, natives of Massachusetts, was born in Sand Lake, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., June 10, 1802. He is a lineal descendant, undoubtedly, of about the fifth generation from Thomas Stevens, or "Stephens," as the name was originally spelled. John Stevens married Elizabeth Gillet, by whom he had nine children, viz.: Betsey, Polly, Nathan, John, Charles M., Permelia, Ebenezer, Harris, and Morgan, - all of whom are dead except Ebenezer. John Stevens settled in Sand Lake soon after the close of the Revolutionary war. He was a farmer by occupation; in politics was a Whig. He held nearly all the prominent official positions in that community, such as justice of the peace, assessor, supervisor of the town, and a member of the Assembly. As a man he was very much respected by all who knew him. Mrs. Stevens died in 1809, and Mr. Stevens married for his second wife Hannah Parsons, of Massachusetts. He died in 1832.

Ebenezer was reared on the farm, which honorable business he has followed, in connection with the lumber interest, ever since. His advantages for an education were confined to the common schools of that day. He left his father's home when fourteen year of age to live with his uncle, Richard Stevens, in New Marlboro, Berkshire Co., Mass., until he was twenty-two years of age, when he returned to Rensselaer County and settled in Grafton, where his father had settled about 1820. He married Mary, daughter of John and Louvica Robinson Worthington, July 5, 1827. She was born Nov. 7, 1803, in Grafton. Her parents were among the early pioneers of Grafton. Of this union six children were born, viz.: John W., Calvin, Henry E., Mary A. (deceased), Plowden, and Nellie.

Mr. Stevens settled on a farm in Grafton immediately after his marriage. Before his marriage he owned a half-interest in a saw-mill near the centre of Grafton. He commenced life a poor young man, but by his indomitable energy, which was characteristic of the family, he kept adding until he owned three saw-mills and about fourteen hundred acres of land. He also manufactured nail kegs.

In politics he was formerly a Jacksonian Democrat, but then the Republican party was organized he joined it. He has always taken a leading part in the politics of his town, having filled the various official positions, such as assessor, commissioner of highways, and supervisor. At one time Mr. Stevens owned nearly a half-interest in two turnpikes from Troy to Petersburg.

Mrs. and Mrs. Stevens are members of the Christian Church at Petersburgh, and Mrs. Stevens is one of the substantial workers in the same. He settled in Petersburgh, on the place where he now resides, in 1874, and has a fine little home about one mile north of South Petersburgh. His children are all well settled in life, and are enterprising business men.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page