William Henry Van Every
City of Troy

This biography is from Troy and Rensselaer County, New York, Volume III, by Rutherford Hayner, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York and Chicago, 1925. It was submitted by Debby Masterson.

WILLIAM HENRY VAN EVERY—In Troy's history William Henry Van Every fills a place that is doubly distinctive, for he was the first comptroller of the city after the creation of that office, and were there no official honor to mark his career its broad usefulness and beneficial influences would assure appreciative memory for many years. His life story is that of a man faithful to worthy aims, whose standards and principles were of high order.

William H. Van Every was born in Petersburg, Rensselaer County, New York, May 23, 1832, son of Michael Van Every, a well-known attorney, and Clarissa (Greene) Van Every. Educated in the public schools of his birthplace, and at the Pownal Academy, he came to Troy in 1852 as principal of the old Adams Street School, afterward known as School No. 10. In this office he gained wide popularity with pupils and parents alike, and made an excellent record as teacher and principal. Representatives of the first families of Troy sat under his teachings in the public school and as private tutor. He was at his best when working with individuals, and under his sympathetic, resourceful tutorship many youths received collegiate preparation that an institution could not have offered.

After several years spent in the profession of pedagogy, Mr. Van Every entered the world of affairs in the insurance business, organizing the firm of Van Every, MacDonald & Carroll in the early sixties. When this partnership was dissolved, Mr. Van Every became a fire insurance adjuster for the Westchester Fire Insurance Company, and in 1871 was elected to its directorate, upon which he continued until his death. He brought to the insurance business the studious and exact habits that were an early and lifelong characteristic, and in this field he gained wide reputation as a thoroughly and expertly-informed authority. He was a valued member of actuarial circles until his retirement about 1890, after which he devoted his time and energies to the administration of personal affairs, chiefly real estate and loans. As previously stated, Mr. Van Every was the first comptroller of the city of Troy, a position to which he was appointed by the Hon. Thomas B. Carroll, then mayor, and upon the conclusion of his term he was prevailed upon to serve several additional months. His salary for this extra period was given for charitable purposes, many philanthropic organizations knowing him as a liberal friend over a long period of years. Even those who knew him but slightly were familiar with his kindness of heart, an attribute that governed his business actions as well as those of his private life. In many instances he waived the letter of obligations to him in order to meet the spirit of his debtors. His plan of life embraced much more than the strivings of the world of aflfairs; it called for brotherhood, friendliness, and effort for the common good.

Mr. Van Every was for many years an attendant of the old Second Street Presbyterian Church, continuing in its congregation until it was merged with the First Presbyterian Church. He gave much time to Masonic work, for many years was secretary of his lodge, and affiliated with Mount Zion Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Apollo Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Bloss Council, Royal and Select Masters; and Apollo Commandery, Knights Templar. He was a charter member of St. Joseph's Club, and gave hearty and generous support to its program. The following quotation is from the editorial columns of the Troy "Daily Times" at Mr. Van Every's passing:

William H. Van Every, whose death is announced, was one of the oldest residents of Troy who have been actively identified with the city's affairs. Mr. Van Every was the first Comptroller of Troy. Long before that he had been a school teacher in what is now School 10, at Adams Street. For many years he was engaged extensively in the adjustment of insurance losses. He was a man of strong character, keenly intelligent, ready to discuss forcibly any problem of public interest, and carrying an energetic spirit of youth into the years of advanced life. For many years Mr. Van Every was one of the young-old men of Troy, almost unequaled in the extent of his reminiscence in local affairs, and as open-minded to the idea and the person of to-day as to the principle or acquaintance of a half-century or more ago.

William Henry Van Every married (first), July 17, i860, Mary Adelaide Carroll, daughter of Mayor Thomas B. Carroll, of Troy. She died April 7, 1907, there having been one child of this marriage, Adelaide, who died October 8, 1887. Mr. Van Every married (second), April 5, 1909, Blanche Groom, daughter of Egbert and Esther M. (Mills) Groom. (See Groom VI). Mrs. Van Every was born at Eagle Mills, near Troy, New York, April 25, 1875. She is a member of the Illium Club, of Troy, the Everglades Club, of Palm Beach, Florida, and the Daughters of the American Revolution. She is a member of the Rensselaer County Child Welfare Board, a member of the Women's Board of the Samaritan Hospital, and treasurer of the Bethesda Home of Troy. Her religious affiliation is with the Second Baptist Church of Troy.

(The Groom-Groome Line).

Groom Arms—Argent, three piles in point gules, a chief azure.
Crest—On the top of a torteau, winged gules, an eagle standing, with wings displayed, or.

(I) Peter Groom, the first member of this line of definite record, died in New Brunswick, New Jersey. His will, made December 9, 1726, was proved November 25, 1728. He was a "yoeman," his will states, of Middlesex, and in this document he mentions sons: Peter, Samuel, Thomas and William under age, and John, also grandson, Peter Groom. As all sons save John were under age, then grandson Peter must have been son of John. He had a large estate and owned slaves. In 1693 he was of Burlington county. New Jersey, and in 1696 he was of Ossinpinck, East New Jersey. He married (second), before 1709, Elizabeth Wood, daughter of Thomas Wood. Children of first wife: 1. John, of whom further. 2. Peter, born about 1706, died in 1768. Children of 2nd wife: 3. Samuel, under age in 1726. 4. Thomas, under age in 1726. 5. William, under age in 1726. 6. Mary. 7. Elizabeth. 8. Margaret. 9. Ann, married, in 1732, Richard Kearns. 10. Sarah.

(II) John Groom, son of Peter Groom, died in Middlesex county, New Jersey. He married, and among his children was Peter, of whom further.

(III) Peter Groome (as the name was spelled for several generations), son of John Groom, was born in Middlesex county. New Jersey, before 1726, and died at Half Moon, New York. His will, made in 1796, was proved in 1799. He lived at Half Moon (then Albany county), Saratoga County, New York, in 1790, where he had a family of one male over sixteen, his wife, and one slave. In 1791 he was a member of Newton church at Half Moon, New York. He married, and his children were: 1. Peter, Jr., of Half Moon in 1790. 2. William, of Half Moon in 1790, served in the Revolution. 3. James, of whom further. 4. Susan, married a Benedict. 5. Rachel, married John Raven. 6. Sally, married a Patterson. 7. Leah, married John Moore. 8. Polly, married John Munsey.

(IV) James Groome, son of Peter Groome, was born July 20, 1754, and died in Clifton Park, New York, April 26, 1825. He lived near the corners that bear his name (Groom's Corners) near Clifton Park, Saratoga County, New York. In 1790 he had three children under sixteen years of age (only two given below, probably another child who died young, before 1790). He served in the Revolution in the Twelfth Regiment, Albany County Militia. He married, before 1786, Margaret Moon. She was born February 9, 1769, and died in 1846. Children: 1. Stephen, born March 27, 1787 2. James, born January 23, 1789. 3. Thomas, born March 27, 1791. 4. Amos, born March 26, 1794, died in 1884. 5. Sarah, born March 18, 1796; married a Ketchum. 6. Levi, born May 25, 1798, died in 1825. 7. Garret V. S., born July 5, 1800, died in 1825. 8. Milton, born November 11, 1802, died in 1838. 9. Mary, born February 17, 1805,died in 1837. 10. Richard, of whom further. 11. William, born September27, 1809, died in 1886. 12. Jesse, born November 10, 1811. 13. Nancy, born February 17, 1814; married a Cook.

(V) Richard Groome, son of James and Margaret (Moon) Groome, was born June 20, 1807, and died in Canandaigua, New York, December 30, 1892. He married, (first), before 1836, Betsey Scidmore. (See Scidmore VIII). He married, (second), Sophia Hayes Shaver. Children by first wife: 1. Egbert, of whom further. 2. Cynthia, born March 14,1838, died October 1, 1914; married Henry H. Rice. 3. Mary, born March 26, 1840, died July 31, 1912; married Henry C. Lerch. 4. Emily, born September 23, 1843, died October 29, 1923. Children by second wife: 5. Maria Wagar, died April 4, 1921; married Jesse W. Ketchum. 6. Richard.

(VI) Egbert Groom, son of Richard and Betsey (Scidmore) Groome, was born November 8, 1836, and died November 8, 1904. He married Esther Maria Mills. (See Mills VI). Children: 1. Charles Egbert, born June 19, i860; married (first) Helen Franklin, (second) Nellie Warner. 2. Cynthia Maria, born June 1, 1861; married Eugene M. Wildman. 3. Fannie Estelle, born February 1. 1863; married Walter L. Monfort. Albert DeWitt, born February 18, 1866, died September 29, 1884. 5. Esther Amelia, born January 21, 1868. 6. William Martin, born December 4, 1869; married Mary E. Lowe. 7. Nellie Winship, born April 28, 1871. 8. Jennie Band, born February 20, 1873; married Arthur R. Miller. 9. Blanche, born April 25, 1875; married William H. Van Every (see Van Every). 10. Mabel Mills, born July 25, 1877; married Richard L. Lisle.

(The Mills Line).

(I) Samuel Mills, pioneer ancestor of this family, is said to have come from Lancashire, England. He emigrated before 1640, and was working for Henry Waltham at Weymouth, Massachusetts, March 11, 1640. He deposed on that date that he was twenty-one years old, thus fixing the date of his birth as 1619. He settled in Dedham, Massachusetts, where he spent the remainder of his life. He was a townsman, January 1, 1644-45, and a member of the Dedham church before 1646. He married (first) Frances Pimbrook, (second) Mary, who died October 30, 1694. He died January 16, 1695. Children: 1. Samuel, baptized March 29, 1646. 2. Benjamin, of whom further. 3. Elizabeth, born December 5, 1652. 4. Stephen, died December 3, 1653. 5. Sarah, born November 5, 1654. 6. Rebecca, born April 10, 1657.

(II) Benjamin Mills, son of Samuel Mills, was born at Dedham, Massachusetts, April 13, 1651. He married Mary, and settled in Dedham. He settled early in what was afterward set off as the town of Needham. The selectmen of Dedham licensed him to keep a tavern or ordinary near the lower falls, July 2, 1705. He was selectman of Needham in 1711-19; constable, 1711-12; tithingman, 1714; surveyor of highways in 1715; assessor in 1719. He was dismissed from the Dedham to the Needham church, March 6, 1719-20. He and his sons, Benjamin, William, and Zachariah, were among the petitioners for the incorporation of the town of Needham in 1710. Children: 1. Benjamin, born June 7, 1675. 2. Mary, born April 25, 1677. 3. Samuel, born March 7, 1678. 4. William. 5. Zachariah. 6. Isaac, of whom further. And others.

(III) Isaac Mills, son of Benjamin and Mary Mills, was born in Dedham, Massachusetts, January 9, 1699-1700. He married, in Newton, Massachusetts, October 24, 1722, Abigail Ward, daughter of Edward and Grace Ward. She was born in Newton, Massachusetts, January 22, 1698-99. Children: 1. Isaac, of whom further. 2, Amos, born June 29, 1732.

(IV) Isaac Mills, son of Isaac and Abigail (Ward) Mills, was born before 1730, and died after 1790. In 1790 he was of Marblehead, Essex County, Massachusetts, with his wife. No children were living with him at that date. He married (first), at Marblehead, Massachusetts, January 16, 1757, Susannah Thrashier, born April 22, 1733. He married (second), in 1772, Mary Dolliber, born in 1732-33. Child, Samuel, of whom further.

(V) Samuel Mills, son of Isaac and Susannah (Thrashier) Mills, was born in 1759, and died in Worcester, Massachusetts, February 3, 1839, aged eighty years. In 1790 he was of Marblehead, Massachusetts, with a family consisting of three persons. He removed to Worcester, where he died. Many of this name served in the Revolution, and the isolation of an individual bearing it is rarely possible. He married, in Newton, Massachusetts, November 20, 1784, Elizabeth Hammond. (See Hammond V). Children: 1. Ephraim, removed to Burlington, Vermont. 2. Thomas, removed to Burlington, Vermont. 3. Isaac, of whom further. 4. Susannah.

(VI) Isaac Mills, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hammond) Mills, was born in Brighton, Massachusetts, January 7, 1801, and died in Worcester, Massachusetts, May 8, 1883. He married, in Worcester, Massachusetts, about 1823, Sarah Johnson. (See Johnson VI). Children: 1. Andrew, born January 10, 1824. 2. Sarah Ann, born May 8, 1825. 3. Charles, born August 28, 1828. 4. Elizabeth Jane, born June 29, 1832. 5, Rodney Augustus, twin with Elizabeth Jane. 6. Isaac Martin, born July 31, 1837. 7. Esther Maria, born A.ugust 29, 1841; married Egbert Groom. (See Groom VI).

(The Hammond Line).

John Hammond lived in Melford, England, and there is little doubt that he was John Hammond, the fuller and cloth manufacturer, who is mentioned in the Melford records, and who was named as executor in the will of John Hammond, the elder, of Melford, dated August 4, 1517, proved April 22, 1528. He may have been the son of this John, although he is not mentioned as a son in the will John Hammond, the elder, was of the Lawshall family of Hammonds who trace their ancestry back to the year 1400. In any event he was undoubtedly a near relative, and without doubt a descendant of the John Hammond, of Lawshall, whose will was proved December 19, 1440, and who was born before 1400. John Hammond, of Lavenham, was a son of John Hammond, the fuller, and was born about 1500. His will was dated December 22, 1550. He married Agnes, who died at Lavenham, January 6, 1576-77. Children: 1. William, of whom further. 2. Thomas, married Rose Tripp, and they were the parents of a son, William, who came to America. 3. Elizabeth. 4. Margaret, married a Jollye. 5. Joan.

William Hammond, son of John and Agnes Hammond, resided at Melford. He married Mary. They were the parents of a son, Thomas, of whom further.

(I) Thomas Hammond, son of William and Mary Hammond, was the immigrant ancestor of this branch of the family. He was baptized at Melford, County Suffolk, England, with his twin brother, John, September 2, 1603. He was one of the first settlers at Hingham, Massachusetts, and had land granted him there in 1636. He was a first cousin of William Hammond, who settled in Watertown, Massachusetts. He took the freeman's oath March 9, 1636-37. He was a member of the Grand Jury in 1637. With several others he removed to a site near the boundary line between what are now the towns of Newton and Brookline. He probably removed to Cambridge Village, now Newton, about 1650, but held lands in Hingham for some years after that date. His homestead in Newton was near the Brookline boundary, near a sheet of water which has since been called Hammond's pond. This homestead remained in the family for many generations. Thomas Hammond was a large land owner, and one of the wealthiest men of the town in his day. He died in 1675, leaving an unsigned will which was admitted to probate, November 5, 1675.

Thomas Hammond married, in Lavenham, England, November 12, 1623, Elizabeth Cason, born in Great Welnetham, daughter of Robert and Prudence (Hammond) Cason, and granddaughter of Robert and Elizabeth Hammond, of Great Welnetham. It is said that a silver coin is still in the possession of descendants which was stamped by her when on a visit to the mint in England when she was a young girl. Children: 1. Thomas, of whom further. 2. Elizabeth, born about 1633-34. 3. Sarah, baptized September 13, 1640. 4. Nathaniel, baptized March 12,1643.

(II) Thomas Hammond, son of Thomas Hammond, was born in England, in 1630, and died in Newton, Massachusetts, October 20, 1676. He was a resident of Newton, Massachusetts. He married, December 17, 1662, Elizabeth Stedman, who died October 29, 1715, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Stedman. Children: 1. Elizabeth, born November 3, 1664. 2. Thomas, born December 16, 1666. 3. Isaac, born December 20, 1668. 4. Sarah, twin with Isaac. 5. Nathaniel, born February 3, 1671. 6. John, born April 30, 1674. 7. Eleazer, of whom further.

(III) Eleazer Hammond, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Stedman) Hammond, was born in Newton, Massachusetts, November 13, 1677, and died there November 16, 1760. He was a selectman of Newton, Massachusetts, in 1741. He married, April 29, 1703, Hannah Harrington, who was born August 9, 1682, and died February 14, 1775. She was the daughter of John and Hannah (Winter) Harrington. Children: 1. Hannah, born in 1704. 2. Eleazer, born October 1, 1705, died young. 3. Elizabeth, born January 12, 1707. 4. Eleazer, born May 26, 1711. 5. Abigail, born January 31, 1712-13. 6. Patience, born September 8, 1717. 7. Ephraim, of whom further. 8. Susanna, born in 1722. 9. Lydia, born February 5, 1726.

(IV) Ephraim Hammond, son of Eleazer and Hannah (Harrington) Hammond, was born in Newton, Massachusetts, March 15, 1719-20, and died there April 21, 1775. He married, December 10, 1741, Martha Steele, who died June 21, 1771. Children: 1. Hannah, born August 8, 1742. 2. Martha, born December 9, 1743. 3. Ephraim, born December 31, 1745. 4. Samuel, born September 30, 1748. 5. Hannah, born September 20, 1749. 6, Edward, born September 20, 1752. 7. Henry, born July 27, 1757. 8. Elizabeth, of whom further. 9. Katherine. 10. Patience. II. Thankful.

(V) Elizabeth Hammond, daughter of Ephraim and Martha (Steele) Hammond, was born in Newton, Massachusetts, about 1760. She married, at Newton, November 20, 1784, Samuel Mills. (See Mills V).

(The Scidmore Line).

Scidmore-Skidmore Arms—Gules, three stirrups leathers and buckles or.
Crest—A unicorn's head erased sable, platee.

The surname Scidmore is derived from Norman-French Escii d'amour, from which came the original family of Escudamour, or Scudmore. During the days of the early barons in England the family was noted for its excellent horsemanship and the superior breed of horses they possessed. Thomas Scidmore, the American founder, descended from a Norman ancestor, was one of the captains who came to England with William the Conqueror. The home of the English family was mostly in Herefordshire.

(I) Thomas Scidmore (or Skidmore or Scudamore) was born in Holme Lacy, Herefordshire, England, about 1600, and died in Fairfield, Connecticut, in 1684. He removed to Westerly, County Gloucester, England, and remained there until 1635. Then he joined the onward march of emigration to the New World, sailing with Governor John Winthrop, Jr., and his company for New England. He settled at Cambridge, Massachusetts, and in 1636 was engaged by Governor Winthrop to assist him in preparations for a plantation at Saybrook, Connecticut. In 1640 he sent for his wife and children, selling his place in Westerly, England, and in 1646 he removed to Connecticut (New London), later settling at Stratford. There he owned large tracts of land. Soon after 1660 he with several other Connecticut settlers founded the important settlement on Long Island which they called Huntington, and his name with seven others appears on the Huntington Patent given by Governor Nicholls, November 30, 1666. He was the first attorney of Suffolk County, Long Island, town clerk of Huntington, represented the town in the General Assembly in Connecticut in 1673, served in King Philip's War in 1676, was a craftsman and blacksmith, and in 1682 returned to Fairfield, Connecticut, where he died.

Thomas Scidmore married (first), in England, Ellen. He married (second) Joanna Baldwin, widow of Daniel Baldwin. He married (third) Sarah Treadwell, widow of Edward Treadwell. Children of first marriage: 1. Thomas. 2. Dorothy, married, in 1652, Hugh Griffin. 3. Jedediah. 4. John, of whom further. 5. Grace. 6. Joseph.

(II) John Scidmore, son of Thomas and Ellen Scidmore, was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, April 11, 1643, and died in Jamaica, Long Island, before July 9, 1680. He removed to Stratford, Connecticut, and later to Jamaica, Long Island, where he was one of the original proprietors. He was also clerk of the first church at Jamaica. He married, in 1663, Susannah. Children: 1. John, of whom further. 2. Samuel. 3. Thomas. 4. Joseph. 5. Abigail.

(III) John Scidmore, son of John and Susannah Scidmore, was born in 1664, and died January 22, 1740-41. He lived in Huntington, Long Island, and was a prosperous settler. He bought large tracts of land near Smithtown, Long Island, which he gave to his sons. He married Sarah (probably Smith). Children: 1. Joseph, died in 1763. 2. John, of whom further. 3. Thomas. 4. Abigail, married a Smith. 5. Temperance.

(IV) John Scidmore, son of John and Sarah (Smith) Scidmore, died in Smithtown, Long Island. His will was made April 24, 1758, and was proved February 17, 1762. He lived on the western border of Smithtown, Long Island, and owned large tracts of land. He married Susannah. Children: 1. Abigail. 2. Susannah, married, in 1754, James Bishop. 3. John, of whom further. 4. Samuel. 5. Zophar, removed to New Jersey.

(V) John Scidmore, son of John and Susannah Scidmore, was born in Smithtown, Long Island, before 1740. He removed from Smithtown to Nine Partners, Dutchess county. New York, in 1768, and later before 1784 to Saratoga, Sartoga County, New York. In 1790 he was of Saratoga, New York, having one son over sixteen years of age, and two under sixteen, and three daughters. He married and had the following children: 1. Solomon, of whom further. 2. Abner, born before 1760; served in the Revolutionary War; lived in Saratoga and married in 1790; later was of Stillwater, New York, and had child, Abner, born in 1781 and grandsons John, Solomon, Benjamin and Abner, 3. John, born before 1760; served in the Revolution and in 1789 was of Stillwater, New York. 4. Isaac (probably).

(VI) Solomon Scidmore, son of John Scidmore, was born in Smithtown, Long Island, before 1760, and died in Stillwater, New York, in 1791. He lived at Stillwater, New York, in 1789, when he was on the tax list there with John Scidmore, his brother. He served as a private, later as a corporal in Captain Woodworth's company, Colonel Van Vechten's regiment. New York Militia, as did his brothers, Abner and John. He married Mary Mosher, probably daughter of Hugh Mosher. (See Mosher VI). Children: 1. James, of whom further. 2. Vina.

(VII) James Scidmore, son of Solomon and Mary (Mosher) Scidmore, died about 1838. He married Nancy Halstead, who was born about 1785, and died in Waterford, New York, January 18, 1846, daughter of Josiah and Elizabeth (Young) Halstead. Children of James and Nancy (Halstead) Scidmore: 1. Josiah. 2. Solomon. 3. Samuel. 4. Benjamin. 5. James 6. De Witt Clinton. 7. Vina, married Thomas Vandeker. 8. Betsey, of whom further. 9. Joel.

Benjamin Halstead, great-grandfather of Nancy (Halstead) Scidmore, was of Fishkill, Dutchess county. New York. He married, and among his children was Josiah, who was born in Dutchess county. New York, in 1755, and died in Ancram, Columbia county. New York, in 1835. Josiah Halstead was of Fishkill, New York, and later, in 1790, of Northeast, New York. He married, in 1779, Elizabeth Young, born in 1760, and died April 14, 1845. Their children were: Benjamin, born in 1780, died June 28, 1815 ; Joseph; John D., born in 1782, died October 3, 1809; probably Nancy, who married James Scidmore.

(VIII) Betsey Scidmore, daughter of James and Nancy (Halstead) Scidmore, was born about 1810, and died in 1845. She married, before 1836, Richard Groome. (See Groome V.)

(The Hayford Line).

Arms—Argent, a chevron sable between three bucks springing (or trippant) gules.
Crest—Out of a ducal coronet two branches in orle, all proper.

The usual spelling of the name in England is Heyford. H. Harrison, in his "Surnames of the United Kingdom," says it is from hay, "a hedge or hedged-in field," and "ford." A Heyforde was Lord Mayor of London in 1477. The family name is derived from a parish or an estate. Lower and Upper Heyford are parishes in Oxfordshire, from which Peter de Heyford, Fellow of Oxford New College, 1412, and rector of Heyford Church, 1420 to 1446, derived his name. About 1154 Huge de Hayford had a knight's fee in Hayford and Harleston, Northamptonshire, but this estate later passed to the Lumleys.

(I) John Hayford, or Heiford, was born in London, England, and died in Braintree, Massachusetts, before 1709. He was a witness to Gregory Belcher's deed of land in Braintree, Massachusetts, February 21, 1667-68, and Otis Hayford, in his "History of the Hayford Family," expresses the belief that he was the John Hayford on record in St. Thomas' Church, London, with Barbara his wife, in birth record of son William, February 11, 1661. In Samuel Sewalls diary of his visit to London is found, under date of April 3, 1688, "See the orchard John Hayford has planted," and in the same diary, recorded on page 252 of Vol. V, "Massachusetts Historical Collection," Sewall writes, "Sent John Heiford's and Mr. Taylor's letters."

John Hayford married April 8, 1679, Abigail Albins, of Braintree, Massachusetts. Children: 1. Abigail, born January 26, 1680; married, July 24, 1711, Thomas Washburn. 2. John, born February 24, 1681, died before 1724; married, July 3, 1706, at Bridgewater, Massachusetts, Lydia Pierce. 3. Samuel, to whom, with Edward Hayford, 1717, Thomas Washburn, brother-in-law of Edward, sold land. 4. Edward, born May 22, 1685; married (first), 1709, Ruth Bryant; married (second) Mary. 5. Benjamin, born in Duxbury, Massachusetts; married, 1726, Mary, and has six children. 6. Daniel, of whom further. 7. Thomas, born in Duxbury; married, September 23, 1734, Susannah Parry.

(II) Daniel Hayford, son of John and Abigail (Albins) Hayford, was born in Duxbury, Massachusetts, about 1690, and died in Pembroke, December 11, 1764. His will, entered in court in 1765, names wife Deliverance and four sons. He was admitted to the First Congregational Church, Pembroke, July 6, 1729, and was deacon in 1746. He bought and sold much real estate in Pembroke. He married (first), February 7, 1723, Anne Webster. He married (second), May 24, 1733, Deliverance Boles. To the first marriage was born one child: 1. Daniel, Jr., born March 12, 1725, died at Tamworth, New Hampshire, 1813; married, February 7, 1751, Priscilla Faxon, of Braintree. Children of second marriage : 2. Samuel, of whom further. 3. Webster, born November 3, 1736; went to Canada soon after 1766, whence his sons removed to New York; he married. January 17, 1760, Mary Bonney, and had three sons and two daughters. 4. William, born May 5, 1740, died at Hartford, Maine, October 12, 1801; married, March 11, 1762, Betty Bonney.

(III) Samuel Hayford, son of Daniel and Deliverance (Boles) Hayford, was born August 8, 1734, and died in Hardwick, Massachusetts, in 1783. He served in the Revolutionary War, enlisting from Greenwich (some papers give Hardwick) Massachusetts, for three months and twelve days, as a private, in Captain Samuel Kilton's company, Twenty-sixth Regiment, Colonel John Patterson commanding, April 26, 1775; muster roll dated August 1, 1775; order for bounty dated Charlestown, October 27, 1775. He married (first), in 1754, Rebecca Freeman Waterman. She died August 9, 1768. He married (second), November 26, 1768, Diadema Bishop. He married (third), March i, 1776, Bathsheba Tinkham, of Halifax. "Bathsheba Hayford, widow," published May 3, 1783, intention of marriage with Samuel Work. Children of first marriage: 1. Deliverance, baptized November 24, 1754, died March 14, 1758. 2. Abigail, born January 18, 1756. 3. Anne, born June 3, 1759. 4. Mary (town records Mercy) Freeman, born November 14, 1762. 5. Rebecca, born September 9, 1764. 6. Molly Waterman, born June 5, 1768, died November 13, 1768. Of the second marriage the only child of whom record has been found was: Chloe, of whom further.

(IV) Chloe Hayford, daughter of Samuel and Diadema (Bishop) Hayford, was born at Hardwick, Massachusetts, in 1774, and died at Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1859. She married Gardner Johnson, son of Samuel and Mary Spence Johnson, of Worcester, Massachusetts. (See Johnson VI.)

(The Johnson Line).

Arms—Quarterly, per fesse indented sable and or, in the first quarter a pelican,vulning herself, of the second.

Johnson as a family name, with a varied orthography, is found in many of the European nations, and is numerous among the Scandanavians as well as among the English, Irish, Scotch, and Germans. It is derived from the early use of the father's given name with the possessive, to designate the son, Henry son of John, being "Henry, John's son," and later, after the adoption of surnames "Henry Johnson" Bardsley, in his work entitled "English Surnames," states that the first syllable of the name was originally pronounced and spelled "Jone." The Johnsons, of Ayscough-Fee, County Lincoln, claim descent from the house of Fitz-John, of Normandy. The parish registers of County Kent contain numerous records of the Johnson family. From these we learn that John Johnson, of the Isle of Thanet, County Kent, married Sybil Crooche. Paul Johnson, of Fordwick, County Kent, married Margaret Heyman, daughter of Peter Heyman, Esquire, and they were the parents of twelve children, among whom were eight sons: John, Peter, Paul, Barnard, Charles, Silas, Timothy, and Henry.

John Johnson, son of Paul and Margaret (Heyman) Johnson, was a resident of Nethercourt, County Kent. He married Judith Sprackling, daughter of Sir Adam Sprackling, of Ellington, and they were the parents of eight children, among whom were three sons: John, born in 1599; Henry; and Adam. A John Johnson, of County Kent, died in 1467. In 1552 George Johnson was rector of the church at Snargate, County Kent.

Tradition relates that the ancestors of Solomon Johnson, progenitor of the branch of the family here traced, came from Hernhill, County Kent, England. The parish and village of Hernhill are located in the northern section of Kent, not far from Nethercourt, the seat of the Johnsons of the English pedigree.

(I) Solomon Johnson was born in England, and died in Marlborough, Massachusetts, in June. 1687- In 1639 he was a resident of Sudbury, Massachusetts, of which town he was one of the original proprietors, having received twenty-eight acres in the first, second and third divisions of land. He was a freeman in 1645. In 1651 he was of Watertown, Massachusetts, where he was a tailor. In 1658 he received a one hundred and thirty-acre grant in Sudbury. This grant he deeded to his son Solomon. He was an original proprietor of Marlborough, Massachusetts, and prominent in local public affairs, serving as selectman of Marlborough in 1661-65, and as constable in 1663-64. He married Eleanor, and they were the parents of seven children: 1. Solomon, of whom further. 2. John, who was born about 1629. 3. Joseph, born February 3, 1639. 4. Nathaniel, twin of Joseph, born February 3, 1639. 5. Johannah, born February 16, 1641. 6. Mary, born February 23, 1643. 7. Caleb, born February 1, 1645.

(II) Solomon Johnson, son of Solomon and Eleanor Johnson, was born about 1626, and died in Sudbury, Massachusetts, August 26, 1690. He was an early proprietor of Lancaster, Massachusetts. In 1658 he exchanged his Lancaster land for one hundred and forty acres in Sudbury, Massachusetts. He married (first) Hannah. He married (second), February i, 1686-87, Hannah Crefts (probably Croft) "of Natomy," (Watertown). Children of first marriage were: 1. Samuel, born March 6, 1654. 2. Hannah, born April 27, 1656. 3. Caleb, of whom further.

(III) Caleb Johnson, son of Solomon and Hannah Johnson, was born in Sudbury, Massachusetts, October 31, 1658, and died there, December I, 1715. He owned land in Sudbury and in Framingham, Massachusetts, and he was a wheelwright by trade. He married, July 9, 1684, Agnes Bent, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Bent. Their children were: 1. Hannah, born May 5, 1685. 2. Caleb, born September 18, 1687. 3. Solomon, of whom further. 4. Charles, born December 20, 1693. 5. Elizabeth. 6. Thankful, born February 7, 1705-06.

(IV) Solomon Johnson, son of Caleb and Agnes (Bent) Johnson, was born November 2, 1690, and died in Worcester, Massachusetts, January 9, 1782. He received as his share of his father's estate fifty-six acres of land at Sudbury, Massachusetts. For a time he lived at Framingham, Massachusetts. In 1731 he bought one hundred acres of land in Worcester (called Tatnuck), and in 1744 he purchased sixty additional acres of land adjoining this tract. He married, at Sudbury, Massachusetts, June 6, 1716, Abigail Goodenow, daughter of John Goodenow, and they became the parents of the following children: 1. Hepsebath, born October 12, 1717. 2. John, born October 17, 1718. 3. Solomon, baptized October 3, 1720. 4. Peter, baptized July 7, 1723. 5. Daniel, baptized August 1, 1725. 6. Micajah, baptized August 27, 1727. 7. Abigail, born July 26, 1731, died 1744. 8. Joshua, born April 1, 1734. 9. Beulah, born February 2, 1736. 10. Samuel, of whom further.

(V) Samuel Johnson, son of Solomon and Abigail (Goodenow) Johnson, was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, August 21, 1738, and died in 1789. In 1768 he received twenty acres of his father's estate in Tatnuck (Worcester), Worcester county, Massachusetts. He married, August 14, 1760, Mary Spence, who died September 7, 1820. Their children were: 1. William, born about 1761, died January 21, 1842; he married, and had children: Roxanna, William, Luther, Gardner, Mary, Anson, Harriet, Turall, Susannah, Elizabeth, and Samuel. 2, Samuel, born about 1763, died at Worcester, Massachusetts, in 1806; he married Elizabeth Stearns. 3. Elizabeth. 4. Gardner, of whom further. 5. Sarah, who married Joel Hayden.

(VI) Gardner Johnson, son of Samuel and Mary (Spence) Johnson, was born in Worcester, Massachusetts, about 1770, and died there August 26, 1853. He resided on Winter Hill, Worcester, Massachusetts. He married Chloe Hayford. (See Hayford IV.) Their children were: 1. Esther, died unmarried. 2. Samuel, died unmarried. 3. Gardner, married, May 7, 1812, Phoebe Willard. 4. Chloe, married a Sprague. 5. Mary, married a Ball. 6. Sarah, born about 1802-03; married, June 15, 1823, Isaac Mills. (See Mills VI.) 7. Bathsheba, died unmarried.

(The Mosher Line).

Arms—Azure, on a chevron between three hawks close argent belled and jessed or, as many talbots' heads erased sable collared of the third.
Crest—A demi-horse rampant erminois bridled or.

The earliest traditions of the Mosher family locate them in Alsace, Northeast France, about 1580. The name implies German origin, for it is compounded of two German words "mos" and "herr," which combined mean "Lord of the Moss," from the circumstance that the founder of the family, being a man of wealth and prominence, had his residence upon a mossy hill. After Alsace was annexed to France both the French and German languages were spoken there. The French spelling of the name was Mosier or Motier. In England the original German form was generally used, "Mosher." In religion the family were Protestants, and with others fled from France to England to escape persecution. It is supposed that the family went to England under the leadership of Hugh Mosher, and that the emigration took place about 1600. They located in Manchester, Chester, and London.

In 1616 William Mosher was appointed by-law man (or road-overseer) in Manchester. He was in 1614 a silkweaver, in 1619 "gentleman." In his will of 1620 he calls himself "merchant." He had four brothers, John, Thomas, Stephen, and George. Three of them were his business partners, and these three, John, Thomas, and Stephen, each had a son Hugh. Hugh Mosher, son of John Mosher, went to London, became a member of the East India Company, and went to Calcutta where he acquired great wealth. He returned to England, was created a baron, and died without issue. It is his fortune that the American Moshers have endeavored, without success, to obtain. It long ago reverted to the Crown. Another Hugh Mosher, son of Thomas Mosher, cousin of Baron Hugh Mosher, came to America in 1630, and settled at Casco Bay, Maine, and was the ancestor of the Maine Moshers.

(I) Hugh Mosher, son of Stephen Mosher, and cousin to first and second Hugh Mosher, was of Manchester, England. He sailed for America in 1636, and located first at Salem, Massachusetts, where he became a friend of Roger Williams. In October, 1636, when Roger Williams was banished from Massachusetts, Hugh Mosher went with him to Rhode Island. In 1676, as a token of his appreciation, Roger Williams secured for Hugh Mosher one-fifth part of the township of Westerly, Rhode Island, in 1676. In 1669 Hugh Mosher was appointed ensign of a military company, and he took part in King Philip's War. In 1674 he became a Baptist minister, and in that year he was ordained pastor of the church at Dartmouth, Massachusetts, which town is situated in the southern part of Massachusetts, near the Rhode Island boundary line. He died at Newport, Rhode Island, in 1694. He married Lydia Maxon. Children: 1. Hugh, of whom further. 2. John. 3. Nicholas. 4. Joseph. 5. Daniel. 6. James.

(II) Hugh Mosher, son of Hugh and Lydia (Maxon) Mosher, was born in England, in 1633, and died in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1713. He married Rebecca Harndell, daughter of John and Sarah Hamdell. Children: 1. Nicholas, of whom further. 2. John, born 1668. 3.Joseph, born 1670. 4. James, born 1675. 5. Rebecca, born 1677. 6. Daniel, born 1678. 7. Mary, born 1679.

(III) Nicholas Mosher, son of Hugh and Rebecca (Harndell) Mosher, was born in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, in 1666, and died there August 14, 1747. He married, August 14, 1687, Elizabeth, who died in 1747. Children: 1. Hugh, of whom further. 2. Joseph, born April 7, 1692. 3. Mary, born December 16, 1695; married an Allen. 4. Elizabeth, born April 16, 1697; married a Tripp. 5. Thomas, born February 26, 1699. 6. Nicholas, born January 17, 1703. 7. Mercy, born July 6, 1705; married a Shrieve. 8. Rebecca, born March 20, 1708; married a Wilcox. 9. Ephraim, born March 5, 1710. 10. Margaret, born January 17, 1713; marrieda Taber.

(IV) Hugh Mosher, son of Nicholas and Elizabeth Mosher, was born in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, November 16, 1690, and died in Dutchess County, New York, before 1759. He removed to Dutchess county, New York, where he was living at the time of his death. His widow, Sarah (Devol) Mosher, is mentioned in her father's will. He married, at Dartmouth, Massachusetts, April 25, 1717, Sarah Devol, daughter of Christopher Devol, of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, and of Dutchess County, New York. His children are all said to have settled in New York State. Among these children were, probably: i. Hugh, of whom further. 2. Samuel, of Providence, Saratoga County, New York. 3. Joseph, of Half Moon, Dutchess County, New York. 4. Thomas, of Half Moon, Dutchess County, New York. 5. Tripp, of Nine Partners, Dutchess County. New York.

(V) Hugh Mosher, probably son of Hugh and Sarah (Devol) Mosher, of Dartmouth, Massachusetts, and of New York State, was born in Dartmouth, Massachusetts. In 1790 he was of Stephentown, Rensselaer County. New York with one son over sixteen years of age, one under sixteen, and two daughters. He later removed to Saratoga County, New York. Among his children was, probably, Mary, of whom further.

(VI) Mary Mosher, probably daughter of Hugh Mosher, was born about 1761. She married Solomon Scidmore. (See Scidmore VI.)

(GROOM)—New Jersey Archives; New Jersey Wills; New York Census; "NewYork in the Revolution" (Roberts); "History of Saratoga County, New York;" Family Bible; Family Notes.
(MILLS)—Dedham Records; Census Records of Massachusetts; New England Historical and Genealogical Record; American Ancestry; Marblehead, Massachusetts Vital Records; "History of Needham, Massachusetts."
(HAMMOND)—Hammond Genealogy; Newton, Massachusetts Vital Records.
(SCIDMORE)—Scidmore-Skidmore Genealogy; New York Census Records; "History of Saratoga County, New York;" Pension Records; "New York in the Revolution" (Roberts).
(JOHNSON)—Johnson Genealogy; "New England Historical and Genealogical Register;" Vol. 66. Mrs. E. D. Kimball: "Descendants of Solomon Johnson."
(MOSHER)—Mosher Genealogy in Long Island Historical Society Library; New York Genealogical and Biographical Records; New York Mills; "Ancestral Dictionary of Rhode Island;" Manuscript Records in New York Genealogical and Biographical Library.
(HAYFORD)—Burke: "General Armory;" H. Harrison: "Surnames of the United Kingdom;" O. Hayford: "History of the Hayford Family;" S. A. Bates: "Records of Braintree, Massachusetts;" Vital Records of Pembroke, Massachusetts.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page