Christopher James Patterson, M. D.
City of Troy

This biography is from Troy and Rensselaer County, New York, Volume III, by Rutherford Hayner, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York and Chicago, 1925. It was submitted by Debby Masterson.

CHRISTOPHER JAMES PATTERSON, M. D.—Marshall Sanitarium of Troy, New York, is fortunate in having at its head Dr. Christopher J. Patterson, who is a recognized authority in the treatment of mental and nervous diseases and is also widely experienced in the management of institutions devoted to the welfare of that class of patients. Marshall Sanitarium (formerly Marshall Infirmary, founded in 1850) is the designated hospital for the observation of the alleged insane of the counties of Rensselaer and Saratoga, and is also caring for disabled soldiers of the World War.

Christopher S. Patterson, father of Dr. Patterson, was born in Ireland, in 1821, and was educated at Belfast Academy in the city of Belfast. In early life he came to Canada and settled in the Province of Ontario, where he studied law under the direction of Philip Low, of Picton. After his admission to the Dominion bar, he practiced his profession in the city of Toronto, becoming a justice of the Court of Appeals for the Province of Ontario. After several years on that bench, he was appointed a justice of the Supreme Court of the Dominion of Canada, an office he filled with distinction until his death in 1893. In 1877 he was appointed a member of the commission to consolidate the statute Law of the Province of Ontario, and in commemoration of the successful completion of that work each member of the commission received a special gold medal. This highly prized medal is now in the possession of his son, Dr. C. J. Patterson, of Troy, New York. Judge Patterson married, in 1853, Mary Dickson, daughter of Andrew Dickson, a linen manufacturer of County Down, Ireland. Judge and Mrs. Patterson were the parents of five children: Andrew Dickson, of Montreal; Eleanor, married Helenus MacPherson, of Guelph, Ontario, Canada; Sarah, married George S. Hodgins, of Toronto, Canada; Christopher James, the principal character of this review; and William Gregg, of Guelph, Ontario.

Christopher James Patterson, son of Judge Christopher S. and Mary (Dickson) Patterson, was born in Toronto, Canada, August 2, 1863. He was educated at Upper Canada College, Toronto; Toronto Collegiate Institute; matriculated in medicine at the University of Toronto, 1882; studied in Trinity Medical School, Toronto; and McGill College, Montreal; and was graduated by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, in 1890. With professional tastes inherited from his distinguished father, and prepared by a long course of splendid educational training. Dr. Patterson came to his work as a physician perfectly equipped by temperament and learning. In 1891 he began private practice in Buffalo, New York, continuing there for six years and building up a good practice. During those six years he had become well known as a young physician of skill and learning, and in 1897 he was induced to enter the hospital service of the State of New York. He was assigned to duty at Manhattan State Hospital, Ward's Island, in the East river, New York City, where he remained nine months. He was then transferred to the State Hospital at Buffalo, remaining at that institution until October, 1904, when he returned to Ward's Island, there continuing until June, 1906, when he resigned to become physician-in-charge of "Falkirk," a private sanitarium for mental and nervous cases at Central Valley, New York. In September of that year he returned to the State Hospital service, on duty at the State Hospital at Kings Park, Long Island. In 1907 Dr. Patterson began private practice in New York City as a specialist in mental and nervous diseases, but three years later, in 1910, he gave up practicing privately to become physician-in-charge of "Glenmary," a private sanitarium for mental and nervous cases, at Owego, New York. During his three years' private practice, 1907-1910, he was also instructor to the Polyclinic Hospital, New York, Out-Door Department, Mental and Nervous Division.

In December, 1911, Dr. Patterson resigned from Glenmary Sanitarium, and in March, 1912, accepted appointment as physician-in-charge of Marshall Sanitarium. As head of the Marshall Sanitarium he has added greatly to his already high reputation as an authority on mental and nervous diseases and has rendered valuable service to many patients. In addition to his responsibilities as head of the sanitarium, he is psychiatrist to the Samaritan Hospital, Troy, New York; lecturer on mental diseases to the Training School for Nurses, the Samaritan Hospital, Troy, New York; lecturer on mental diseases to the Training School for Nurses, the Troy Hospital, Troy, New York. He is a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association; fellow Buffalo Academy of Medicine; member of the Medical Society County of Rensselaer (president 1919-1920); Medical Society, State of New York; American Medical Association; The Canadian Society of New York; British Schools and Universities Club of New York; University of Toronto Club, of New York; McGill Graduates' Club, of New York; City Club of New York; Troy Club; and Van Schaick Island Country Club, of Troy. He is also a member of the Current Topic Club, of Troy; an associate member of the Troy Vocal Society; member of the Chromatic Club, of Troy; a member of the National Eugenics Research Association; and honorary member of the Medical Staff of the Troy Hospital.

Dr. Patterson has always taken a keen interest in military affairs. In 1885 he saw active service in the Riel Rebellion in the Canadian Northwest, and in 1918 was commissioned captain in the Medical Reserve Corps, United States Army.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page