Rev. Edward Michael Brady
City of Troy

This biography is from Troy and Rensselaer County, New York, Volume III, by Rutherford Hayner, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York and Chicago, 1925. It was submitted by Debby Masterson.

REV. EDWARD MICHAEL BRADY—In ecclesiastical circles in Troy, New York, Rev. Edward M. Brady is a distinguished and honored figure. His labors for the advancement of the parish of St. Francis, and the spiritual and material welfare of its people, count as one of the progressive influences of the day in this city, and his utterances on current topics, as well as on spiritual matters, are a constructive force in civic and social reform. Father Brady, in his religious activity of thirty-eight years, all within the boundaries of the State of New York, has done a wonderful work in the reestablishing of weak churches and in the bringing of important and wealthy parishes to high levels of achievement.

Father Brady was born in St. Peter's Parish, in the city of Troy, New York, and is a son of Edward and Mary (Farrell) Brady. Following his elementary studies at St. Peter's School, he was graduated from Troy Academy in the class of 1877, and thereafter entered Holy Cross College, at Worcester, Massachusetts, from which he was graduated in the class of 1880, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. For his theological course he entered St. Joseph's Seminary, of Troy, New York, and was ordained there December 20, 1884 by Bishop Bradley, of Manchester, New Hampshire. His first appointment was as acting pastor at Cazenovia, New York, where he served for one year, then was sent to Saratoga Springs, New York, as assistant at St. Peter's Church, He continued for three years in this capacity, then was appointed pastor of the parish which united Corinth and Luzerne, New York. There he served for twelve years, greatly enlarging the parish and building their present handsome and commodious church edifice. His work in this community so thoroughly demonstrated his executive and administrative ability that it was the means of giving him further work of the same nature. He was sent to the Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel on May 5, 1901, at Middle Granville, New York, and here also he built the church and materially enlarged the parish, leading, guiding, teaching and admonishing the people in the Christian life. His next charge was St. Mary's Church, at Gloversville, New York, where a similar work was awaiting an able hand and a devoted spirit. Building the church there and establishing the people in the faith, he remained at Gloversville for a period of fifteen years, and from there came to Troy. On September 14, 1921, Father Brady was appointed pastor of St. Francis' Church, of Troy, one of the most important parishes in Rensselaer County. The large, beautiful church edifice is one of the finest buildings in the city of Troy, and the pride of the people who worship in it. St. Francis' Parochial School, which is a model institution, was established in 1919. The school is conducted by the Sisters of St. Joseph, and now has about 280 pupils. With the rectory and the beautiful grounds, the church property constitutes one of the show places of the city. Father Brady is leading the people ever forward, ever upward in the Christian life, and is revered alike by his own people and by his contemporaries in Christian work. Not only in his own parish, but in the general civic advance, he lends his influence and support to all endeavors which have for their purpose the welfare and uplift of the people.

Father Brady is a member of the Knights of Columbus (4th degree), and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Troy, New York.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page