Charles Gilbert Eddy
City of Troy

This biography is from Troy and Rensselaer County, New York, Volume III, by Rutherford Hayner, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York and Chicago, 1925. It was submitted by Debby Masterson.

CHARLES GILBERT EDDY—Few business men in the city of Troy are better known and none are more highly esteemed than is Charles Gilbert Eddy, president of the wholesale grocery firm of Harvey & Eddy Company, Inc., and a director and vice-president of the Union National Bank.

William Eddy, father of Mr. Eddy, came to the city of Troy about 1847, and in that same year engaged in the wholesale grocery business, in which he continued to the time of his death, which occurred in 1884. He was active in local public afifairs, and at one time served as a member of the Board of Aldermen. He married, in Troy, Charlotte S. Nash, who survived him ten years, her death occurring in 1894.

Charles G. Eddy, son of William and Charlotte S. (Nash) Eddy, was born in Troy, New York. He received his education in the public schools of his native city, completing his school training with graduation from Troy High School. He began his active career as a cub reporter on the "Troy Times," but after gathering news for that publication for some time, he made a change and accepted a position as bookkeeper in the employ of Eddy, Corse & Company, later severing that connection and going to Holmes & Ide in the same capacity. The latter association he maintained until September 1, 1884, when he formed a partnership with David H. Harvey and engaged in the wholesale grocery business at No. 279 River Street. Later the business was removed to No. 277 River Street, but as the constantly increasing patronage made more spacious quarters necessary, the firm purchased the store at Nos. 199 and 201 River Street, and on May i, 1902, removed to that location, where the enterprise has been steadily growing and prospering to the present time (1923).

For a number of years the business was a small one, limited to the buying and selling of fish, salt, and provisions, but in 1896 a full line of wholesale groceries was added and since that time progress has been rapid. On September 1, 1909, the firm celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary and received the sincere congratulations of its many friends and associates, who appreciate the fact that the Harvey & Eddy Company, Inc., owns one of the soundest business houses in this section of the State. By January 1, 1912, the business had grown to proportions which made incorporation advisable and the concern became the Harvey & Eddy Company, Inc., with a capital of $125,000 backed by the incorporators, David H. Harvey, Charles G. Eddy, W. D. Barry, William A. Bird, and Arthur W. Clum. Mr. Harvey served as president and Mr. Eddy as vice-president and treasurer. Both Mr. Harvey and Mr. Eddy were then among the best known business men of northern and eastern New York, where both had traveled for many years. Upon the death of Mr. Harvey, November 26, 1917, Mr. Eddy became president of the corporation, and under his efficient direction the business has steadily prospered to the present time (1923).

Mr. Eddy is one of the oldest members of the Commercial Travelers' Association, and has been active in the advancement of the interests of that organization, serving for two years as its president and for several years as treasurer. He is also a member of the board of directors and vice-president of the Union National Bank of Troy, and for several years served as a member of the discount committee. He is a member and has served as president of the board of trustees of the Round Lake Association, and during the summer makes his home in that village. Politically he gives his support to the Republican party. During the World War he served on several committees and took an active part in all the various war "drives," contributing a valuable share to the work of carrying his community "over the top." Fraternally he is a member of King Solomon Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Apollo Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Bloss Council, Royal and Select Masters; Apollo Commandery, Knights Templar; Albany Consistory, Scottish Rite, in which he holds the thirty-second degree; and of Oriental Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is a member of the Troy Club, the Commercial Travelers' Association, and of Troy Chaml)er of Commerce, on which he has served as a member of the board of directors.

It was a fine tribute as well as a deserved one which was paid to Mr. Eddy by Rev. Dr. Joseph H. Odell when after traveling through the territory which Mr. Eddy had frequented, as a traveling salesman, he noted the universal esteem and the hearty welcome accorded to Mr. Eddy wherever he went, and decided that the reason was to be found in just one fact—"After a while," said Mr. Odell, "the reason became clear to me—he had been kind. Kind to everyone, under all circumstances, and without any ulterior expectations. There was no condescension about his kindness, no affectation, no calculation. He simply looked upon every man, woman and child he met as one who had an inalienable right to a kind word, a kind handshake, a kind smile or a kind proffer of aid if need called for it. And everyone returned what he gave—full measure, pressed down and running over." In addition to the various connections already named, Mr. Eddy is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Troy, which he serves as treasurer and asa member of the board of trustees.

At Troy, New York, October 18, 1882, Charles Gilbert Eddy married Addie N. Ingalls, of Troy, daughter of Truman E. and Sarah A. (Norton) Ingalls, both natives of Hartford, Washington county, New York.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page