Charles B. Graser
City of Troy

This biography is from Troy and Rensselaer County, New York, Volume III, by Rutherford Hayner, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., New York and Chicago, 1925. It was submitted by Debby Masterson.

CHARLES B. GRASER—Charles F. Graser, father of Charles B. Graser, was born in Germany in 1841, where he was left an orphan at an early age. At the age of twelve he began to learn the confectioner's trade with his uncle, and at eighteen, having completed his apprenticeship, he decided to come to America, arriving here in 1859. He settled in Brooklyn, New York, and soon became an American citizen. For one year he remained in Brooklyn, in the employ of a confectioner, and in i860 he removed to Albany, New York, obtaining a position in Braire's celebrated catering and confectionery establishment of that city. In 1867 he opened a fancy bakery and confectionery store on Congress Street, Troy, New York, and the establishment founded by him more than a half century ago is still conducted at the same location, and is one of the oldest in Northern New York, where it ranks as a high class establishment. Charles F. Graser died in 1908, but in 1899 he laid down the reins of management of the business and was succeeded by his two sons: Charles B., and William H., the firm name becoming C. F. Graser's Sons. William H. Graser is now deceased and Charles B. Graser, the last of this trio of caterers and confectioners to survive, now conducts the business at No. 63 Congress street.

Charles B. Graser, son of Charles F. and Margaret (Toolan) Graser, was born in Albany, New York, May 14, 1864, and in 1867 was brought to Troy by his parents. He was educated in the Christian Brothers' School, and the old Gale School, on Seventh Avenue, Troy, receiving a good education. When school years were completed he became his father's assistant at the Congress Street store and in time became an expert caterer and confectioner. When the father died, the Graser brothers, Charles B., and William H., succeeded him and continued the business most successfully until the death of William H. Graser, when the entire ownership and management developed upon Charles B. Graser, now one of the best known caterers in his part of the State. Mr. Graser is a member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church ; a charter member of Troy Council, Knights of Columbus; and is highly esteemed in his community.

Mr. Grazer married, October 11, 1887, Mary K. Fitzpatrick, of Troy, New York, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Mac Evan) Fitzpatrick, of Troy, and they are the parents of a son, Charles W., who after finishing his studies in St. Lawrence's Parochial School, entered Troy Business College, there preparing for the business he was to follow. He was trained to the business founded by his grandfather and further developed by his father, and on February 1, 1923, he became a partner of the firm. He married Catherine Sullivan, daughter of Michael and Catherine (McEvoy) Sullivan, of Troy, New York.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page