Francis Parmele, M. D.

Information on this page is from History of Rensselaer Co., New York by Nathaniel Bartlett Sylvester, published in 1880.

DR. FRANCIS B. PARMELE is a son of Henry Parmele, formerly of Stockbridge, Mass., and who married Lydia Bosworth, a native of Lenox, Mass. He was born at Richmond, Va., on Jan. 1, 1815. Of three children, himself and sister alone reached adult age. The doctor passed the earlier years of his life in the city of Albany, where he received the benefits of an academic education at the Albany Academy. He subsequently pursued the study of medicine with Prof. Homer L. Thrall, Professor of Chemistry at Kenyon College, Gambier, O., and finally attended the medical college of the city of Albany, where he completed his studies and duly matriculated in February 1842. He immediately commenced the practice of his profession at East Greenbush, Rensselaer Co., as the successor of Dr. A. C. Getty. Four years later he removed to Greenbush Village, again succeeding Dr. Getty, and where he has ever since remained in active and successful practice.

Dr. Parmele is known and recognized as a safe, conscientious, and skillful physician, and his popularity in the county, among all classes, is equaled only by the high respect and esteem which is felt for him by his professional compeers. Naturally diffident and retiring, he has held himself aloof from public life, closely adhering to the demands of his chosen profession. He is a member and president of the County Medical Society and, prior to his last election, was vice-president for two years and president in 1863. He was a delegate from that body to the State Medical Society for four years and is now a permanent member of the State organization.

In church affiliations, Dr. Parmele is an Episcopalian, though prior to the establishment of a church of that denomination at Greenbush, he filled the office of elder in the Presbyterian Church. He was confirmed by Bishop McIlvaine, of Ohio, and was one of the active movers in the organization of the Church of the Messiah, at Greenbush.

Dr. Parmele has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Orrilla S. Smyth, to whom he was united on Oct. 14, 1840, at Gambier, O., and who died Nov. 9, 1852. His second and present wife is Miss Elizabeth B. Brown, daughter of Hon. A. L. Brown, of Rutland, Vt., whom he married on Aug. 9, 1853. Five children of Dr. Parmele are now living, viz., Grace A., wife of Mr. A. H. Smyth, of Columbus, O., Isabella Amelia, George Bosworth, Charlotte Ring, and Annie Lawrence.

He lives a contented and modest life in his home at Greenbush.

Send comments or suggestions to:
Debby Masterson

Go Back to Rensselaer Co. Biographies
Go Back to Home Page