|Darius Morris to the Deacons of the
Nassau Dutch Reformed Church
Rensselaer Co NY Deed Book 8 (1819-1821) page 507 has a deed dated 31 March 1810 but only recorded 11 July 1821 (explaining why it's in Deed Book 8 rather than in an earlier book) in which "Darius Morris & Jane his wife of the town of Nassua [sic - Nassau] & County of Rensselaer" grant for a sum of $1,100 to the Deacons of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church at Union Village [later the village of Nassau] two [or ten?] acres of land with a dwelling house, farm shed and orchard bordering on the Rensselaer and Columbia Turnpike and lying to the north of it. Both Darius Morris and Jane Morris signed it (L. S. = lawful signature), implying that both were literate. Witnesses were Jas Morris and Laurena Morris [or Laurens Morris].