Schaghticoke Cemetery Locations
People buried in these cemeteries and graveyards are listed alphabetically
by surname in Interments in Rensselaer County Cemeteries.
Formerly located on the east side of Verbeck Street;|
it was removed to Elmwood Cemetery sometime between 1863 and 1881.
Bromer Family Cemetery|
From Route 40 North, turn onto Route 67; the cemetery is|
on the right, before the power lines, at the top edge of
a gravel bank, just north of the old town dump.
Brookins Family Cemetery
(also known as
Old Follette Cemetery)
|DAR Records and|
LDS film #928043
On the left side of Route 40 North, between Melrose and Spiegletown;|
originally in Schaghticoke, then in Lansingburgh for 83 years,
now [since 1900] again in Schaghticoke (town boundaries were changed);
the Brookins home is nearby.
Buckley Cemetery No 1|
On the west side of Kardas Road, 1.2 miles north of|
the intersection of Kardas Road and Bell Road; some stones
have been removed, possibly to Elmwood Cemetery.
Buckley Cemetery No 2|
Formerly on the west side of Kardas Road, a short|
distance south of Buckley Cemetery No 1;
removed to Elmwood Cemetery, sections 21 and 27,
sometime after 1856.
Formerly on the east side of Main Street in Schaghticoke village;|
removed to Elmwood Cemetery, section 21, between 1863 and 1881.
Burch Farm Cemetery|
|1937 DAR copy; rechecked|
by Town Historian
Take Route 67 to Masters Street and then take Masters Street|
to Barton Road; the road bends to the right; the cemetery is
2.5 miles west of Johnsonville, on Mead Road, on the old Burch farm;
it is 25 feet from the Rensselaer/Washington County line;
it is fenced, in the middle of a field, across from the Mead home.
Formerly on the south side of Masters Street, between Barton Road|
and Schweniger Road; it was removed to Elmwood Cemetery, section 23,
|Copied by members of|
the Latham Ward,
LDS Church in 1993;
their copy was compared
to a 1936 copy by
Rachel C. Wilkins,
Fanny C. Howe
and Ethel Z. Howe
On Rensselaer County Route 125, across from the Rensselaer County|
Fairgrounds main entrance.
(Harmon and Peter)
From Farm Road to Market Road (Route 67) near Tomhannock Creek|
bridge, turn onto Buttermilk Falls Road; then take an immediate right;
the cemetery is on a knoll, behind a new house with a satellite dish,
next to John Groesbeck Cemetery #7.
From Old Farm Road to Market Road (Route 67), turn onto|
Buttermilk Falls Road; take an immediate right; follow the driveway;
the cemetery is across the driveway from the house.
|1922 copy by Mr. Thomas,|
later recopied by
Between Melrose and Schaghticoke, on the west side of Route 40,|
north of Bracken Road and north of the Carlson farm.
Hemstreet Farm Cemetery|
|Clipping from an old|
Troy Record newspaper
Two gravestones are located between the old Hemstreet house and|
the golf clubhouse, in the middle of a pasture.
Take Farm Road to Market Road (Route 67) to Knickerbacker Road;|
go past the Knickerbacker mansion; the cemetery is on the left
and is enclosed by a fence.
Lutheran Church Cemetery|
1 mile north of Melrose, on the corner of Northline Drive|
and Valley Falls Road.
From Masters Road, turn onto Ridge Road; the cemetery is|
back in a field, behind a house with a stone wall surrounding it.
Methodist Church Cemetery|
|1937 DAR copy;|
Town Historian in 1987
|On the east side of route 40, south of the village, opposite Hansen Road.|
Formerly located on the west side of Bell Road, between|
Hayes Road and Geary Road; it was removed to Elmwood Cemetery,
section 27, after 1860.
Don and Clare Radz
Turn opposite Saint John's Church onto Fisherman's Lane;|
ask permission at the farm house; continue on Fisherman's Lane
to the left; the cemetery is on the left side of the lane,
out of sight of the house, between Electric Lake and the lane.
|Schaghticoke Historian||This cemetery has not been exactly located.|
Old Presbyterian Cemetery|
#23 (also known as
Valley Falls Cemetery)
On the north side of Route 67, between Schaghticoke and|
Valley Falls, at the junction of Geary Road and Route 67.
Old Shreve Farm Cemetery|
On the old Shreve farm, 2 miles from Johnsonville, on the road|
to the old CCC Camp; it is midway between Barton Road and Akin Road.
Formerly on the north side of Stillwater Bridge Road, between|
Brown Road and Hemstreet Road; a LOUNSBERRY stone was moved to
Old Schaghticoke Cemetery, opposite the Rensselaer County Fairgrounds.
|Warren Broderick||200 feet east of Hoyles Road, 0.6 mile north of Casey Road.|
On the south side of Farm Road, to Market Road (Route 67);|
the cemetery is on a road near a gravel pit, close to the site
of the old Dutch Reformed Church.
Saint John's Roman Catholic|
|Inscriptions copied by|
members of Latham Ward,
LDS Church, in 1993
At the intersection of NY State Route 40 and Rensselaer|
County Route 125.
Old Schaghticoke Cemetery|
Between Elmwood Cemetery #6 and Saint John's Cemetery #19,|
on Rensselaer County Route 125, across from the Rensselaer
E. Foster's yard, Schaghticoke, NY; on the east side of Route 40,|
200 feet north of the intersection with Fogarty Road;
the stone was probably moved to this location.
North of Dusenberry Road, west of Route 40; turn north on the|
first road off Dusenberry Road; the cemetery is to the right
of a dead end.
|Tallmadge Cemetery #32||Warren Broderick||
Formerly on the north side of Masters Street, west of Bell Road;|
removed to Elmwood Cemetery, section 7, between 1863 and 1881.
Van Antwerp Cemetery
|Tombstones copied by|
Don and Clare Radz
Take Hansen Road over the railroad bridge; the cemetery is between|
the first and second houses, back on a hill to the left of
the first house. The cemetery is also known as Shotmeyer Farm Cemetery.
Van Antwerp Cemetery|
On Buttermilk Falls Road, 0.5 mile northwest of a bridge over|
Tomahannock Creek; the cemetery is on a knoll behind the
first house on the right side of the road; it is up a fairly
steep hill and to the left on the old Theodore Button farm.
Formerly on the east side of River Road, just north of|
Stillwater Bridge Road; it was removed to Elmwood Cemetery,
sections 27 and 17, after 1854.
|Schaghticoke Historian||This cemetery has never been located; no information is available.|
Van Veghten Cemetery
#25 (also known as the
Charles Yates Farm Cemetery)
Formerly opposite the Wier farm, on the south side of Route 67, west|
of Knickerbacker Road; it was removed to Elmwood Cemetery, section 22.
#10 (also known as
|Clipping from the|
Troy Record newspaper
dated March 4, 1919
Now on the Durant Farm, south of Route 67, just before the|
railroad tracks; a white picket fence surrounds it.
Take River Road southward from Hemstreet Park to Pinewoods Road;|
turn left; the cemetery is toward the river from the second house
on the right, 0.25 mile from the river.
|Warren Broderick||On the north side of Deep Kill Road, south of Calhoun Drive.|
From Fogarty Road, turn right onto Wetzel Road; the cemetery|
is on the Myron Wetsel farm.
Go south on River Road from Hemstreet Park; turn in at the
entrance to a gravel bank; the cemetery is on a hill behind
the Anderson house.