Troy's One Hundred Years 1789-1889:
Volunteer Fire Companies

These are excerpts from Troy's One Hundred Years 1789-1889, compiled by Arthur James Weise, M. A., and published in 1891 by William H. Young of 7-9 First Street in Troy. They were transcribed and contributed by Bill McGrath of Clifton Park, Saratoga County, NY.

VOLUNTEER FIRE COMPANIES
pages 358-360
Premier Engine Company, organized 1798; discontinued from service, August 23d, 1861; disbanded September 5th, that year. First engine-house on the south side of the courthouse; the engine was subsequently housed in a wooden building on the north side of Center Market; and in 1843 at No. 21 State Street.

Neptune Engine Company No. 2, organized June 20th, 1803; discontinued August 1861; disbanded September 5th, that year. Engine-house on the north side of Center Market in 1828; and in 1843 at No. 23 State Street. The company paid the tuition of a large number of children attending the Lancastrian and other schools in the city.

Washington Volunteer Fire Company, incorporated May 26th, 1812. First engine-house west side of Fourth Street, about seventy feet north of Fulton Street; after April 1820, the apparatus was housed in a building on the north side of the market-house lot on the north-west corner of Third and State streets; in 1823, it was kept in a building in the shipyard, on the southwest corner of River and Elbow (Fulton) streets; in 1824, it was again housed in the building near the northwest corner of Third and State streets. In December 1843, the engine was placed in the brick engine-house, at No. 25 State Street, on the site of the Second Precinct Station-house.

Engine Company No. 3, organized February 1st, 1821; changed to a hose company in December 1834 and became the Franklin Hose Company.

Engine Company No. 4, organized January 6th, 1825; changed to a hose company October 7th, 1837, subsequently known as the Eagle Hose Company No. 10. On July 3d, 1845, this became the Eagle Engine Company No. 10.

Torrent Engine Company No. 4, organized August 2d, 1838; disbanded May 20th, 1841; reorganized September 1st, 1842; disbanded August 3d, 1843; reorganized November 2d, 1843; discontinued August 1861; disbanded September 5th, that year. The engine-house was on Congress Street, at Ida Hill.

Empire State Engine Company No. 5, organized March 1st, 1821. The engine-house was at the Iron Works. (See Edmond Stanton Steam Fire Engine Company No. 6.)

Hope Engine Company No. 6, organized May 20th, 1826. The engine-house was on the northwest corner of Brunswick Avenue and Washington Street, Albia. (See Hope Steam Fire Engine Company No. 7.)

Niagara Engine Company No. 7, organized May 27th, 1828. Engine-house on South Market lot, northeast corner of Second and Division streets. (See Jason C. Osgood Steam Fire Engine Company No. 3.)

Cataract Engine Company No. 8, organized August 2d, 1832; disbanded September 10th, 1851; reorganized and served until disbanded September 5th, 1861. The engine-house was at No. 12 Federal Street.

Rough and Ready Engine Company No. 9, organized September 21st, 1837, as the Hydraulic Engine company No. 9. In 1863, adopted the name of Rough and Ready Engine Company No. 9. The engine was housed at No. 9 River Street, near State Dam. In 1865, the company reorganized as the Rough and Ready Hose Company No. 4. (See Charles Eddy Steam Fire Engine Company No. 4.)

Lafayette Engine Company No. 10, organized August 15th, 1839. Engine-house on Ida Hill. (See F. W. Farnam Steam Fire Engine Company No. 5.)

Eagle Engine Company No. 10, organized July 13th, 1845. Members resigned September 16th, 1847; company reorganized March 14th, 1848; became Eagle Steam Fire Engine Company No. 2 on December 20th, 1860. The engine was housed at No. 14 Federal Street. (See Hugh Ranken Steam Fire Engine Company No. 2.)

Aetna Engine Company No. 12, organized in 1846, and in 1857 became the Hibernia Engine Company No. 12.

Hibernia Engine Company No. 12, in 1857 known as the Aetna Engine Company No. 12; company discontinued in 1863. The engine-house was on the corner of Fifth and Madison streets.

Good Intent Engine Company No. 13 (independent), formed in 1850 and disbanded in 1856. The engine-house was on Batavia Street.

Franklin Hose Company No. 1, organized December 18th, 1834, from Engine Company No. 3. On January 1st, 1835, it took the name of Franklin Hose Company No. 1. The hose-house was on Franklin Street, near the courthouse.

Phoenix Hose Company, organized in 1840; discontinued in 1851.

General Wool Hose Company No. 2, organized February 1st, 1859; discontinued in 1861. The hose-house was at No. 19 State Street.

Union Hose Company No. 3, organized February 1st, 1859; existed for about a year. The hose-house was at No. 7 Hoosick Street.

Hall Hose Company, organized December 1859; discontinued January 1st, 1871.

J. C. Taylor Hose Company No. 3, formed in 1860. (See Charles Eddy Steam Fire Engine Company No. 4.)

Hook and Ladder Company No. 1, organized February 16th, 1826; discontinued in 1857. The truck-house was in a building on the north side of Center Market; in 1843, it was at No. 27 State Street.

Union Hook and Ladder Company No. 2, organized April 5th, 1832; discontinued in 1874. The truck-house was at the Iron Works.

Trojan Hook and Ladder Company No. 3, organized February 5th, 1835. The truck-house was at No. 14 Federal Street; it burned May 10th, 1862. Subsequently housed at Cozzens' Northern Hotel, and afterward at a brick engine-house on State Street.



Send comments or suggestions to:
Lin Van Buren
Go Back to Troy's One Hundred Years Contents Page
Go Back to Home Page