HISTORY OF

SARATOGA COUNTY, NEW YORK.

by NATHANIEL BARTLETT SYLVESTER

1878

--------------------

GEORGE G. SCOTT.

Portrait of George G. Scott

GEORGE G. SCOTT, the subject of this sketch, was born at the family homestead, in the town of Ballston, near the Milton line, on the 11th of May, 1811. His grandfather, George Scott, who was a descendant of Benjamin Scott, an English colonist in Ireland at the reign of James I., emigrated from Londonderry Co., Ireland, in 1773, and settled on that farm in 1774. For a time it was literally a frontier clearing, in the great northern wilderness. His wife, who came with him to this country, was a sister of General James Gordon.

In the raid under the leadership of Munro, in October, 1780, when General Gordon and others were captured and taken to Canada, Mr. Scott's dwelling was attacked and pillaged, and himself stricken down with a tomahawk and left for dead. James Scott, his only son, a noted surveyor during the first third of the present century, was born Jan. 31, 1774, on the Gordon place, in the present town of Ballston, and died there in 1857. His wife was Mary Botsford, a native of Derby, Connecticut, who died the same year.

The subject of this sketch, George Gordon Scott, was their only child. He graduated from Union College in 1831, and the same year entered the law office of Palmer & Goodrich, at Ballston Spa, where he remained two years, and completed his clerkship with Brown & Thompson, of that village. He was admitted to the bar in 1834, and entered upon the successful practice of his profession at that place, which he has continued to the present time.

He married Lucy, a daughter of the late Joel Lee, of Ballston Spa.

In 1838 he was commissioned by Governor Marcy as judge of the county courts, but resigned before the expiration of his term. He was elected to the assembly of 1856, and was re-elected to the assembly of 1857. In that year he was elected to the senate from the Fifteenth district. He declined a re-election, and was succeeded by Hon. Isaiah Blood. In 1861 he received the nomination of the Democratic State convention for the office of comptroller, but was defeated by Hon. Lucius Robinson, the present governor.

In 1859 he removed from the Milton part of Ballston Spa into his native town (his residence being on High street, nearly opposite the county clerk's office), and the next year he was elected supervisor of Ballston, and has since been repeatedly re-elected, generally without opposition, and is now (1878) serving in his nineteenth term. He was chairman of the board in 1863 and in 1876. Notwithstanding the various positions which he has held he has never been an office-seeker, they all having been conferred without his suggestion.

In 1876 congress, by resolution, indorsed by the proclamation of the president, recommended that, on the Centennial of American Independence in that year, historical addresses relating to counties and other localities should be delivered. Judge Scott was designated by the county officials for the performance of that duty, which he discharged by delivering, in the court-yard of the Sans Souci hotel, at Ballston Spa, an historical address relating to Saratoga County. And in 1877 upon him was conferred the honor of presiding at Bemus Heights, upon the occasion of the celebration of the centennial of that decisive battle of the Revolution, the interesting ceremonies of which he opened with an appropriate address.

He is now the sole survivor, not only of the old common pleas bench, but of the fifteen senators who have been residents of Saratoga County.

----------------------------------------

NEXT --- HOME

Transcribed from the original text and html prepared by Bill Carr, last updated 2/7/00.

Please provide me with any feedback you may have concerning errors in the transcription or any supplementary information concerning the contents. wcarr1@nycap.rr.com


Back to Saratoga County GenWeb


Copyright ©1999,2000 Bill Carr and Heritage Hunters of Saratoga County

All Rights Reserved.