DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
SOUTHAMPTON COLONY CHAPTER
SOUTHAMPTON, NEW YORK
Peggy B. Kluge (Mrs.)
P. O. Box 2004
Southampton, NY 11969-2004
The Southampton Colony Chapter, NSDAR, was started at a meeting on Lincoln's birthday in 1921, with twenty-seven women present. Formal organization was not held until March 1922, with 48 charter members. The hymn, "Hail to the Flag" was sung. Both the words and the music were written by George Rogers Howell, Southampton historian and genealogist, who for nearly 30 years was state librarian and archivist in Albany, New York. The hymn was dedicated to the Founders and Patriots of America. Mrs. E. P. White, Regent, presided at the meeting and luncheon in the dining room of the Presbyterian Church, the oldest established Presbyterian congregation in the United States. Settled in 1640, the Southampton Company founded their colony bringing their minister with them.
In 1925, a completely furnished house was donated to the chapter by Pauline Morton Sabin (Mrs. Charles). It was built in 1721, and is one of the oldest houses in Southampton. This house served as the chapter house until it was sold in 1997.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN FLAG
Southampton Town, the oldest English settlement in New York State, was founded in 1640. Two hundred eighty nine years later (1929), the Southampton Colony Chapter,
NSDAR, recommended to the town board the adoption of an official flag. The chapter submitted a design. It consisted of three vertical bars, the two outer bars of colonial blue, and a center bar of colonial buff. The seal of the town is centered on the colonial buff bar. This was resolved by the town board to accept this design, but the flag was never produced.
Years later, the then Town Historian, Robert Keene, uncovered the old town board resolution, and asked that action be taken and funds be allocated to put the design into production. On Patriots Day, April 19, 1983, the town agreed. In September of 1983, a copy of the new flag along with a proclamation was presented to Chapter Regent, Gerrodette MacWhinnie (Mrs. Morgan). Many chapter members were in attendance for the presentation in recognition of the Southampton Colony Chapter's historical role in the creation of the town's first official flag.
The official town seal on the flag is representative of the following: the legend of the first English settlement in the State of New York makes up the border, the man in the center represents the Puritan stock that settled the town. In the left and right background is depicted the rock at Conscience Point, the landing site and the small ship that brought the first settlers. The rays emanating from the horizon represent the first rising of the sun over New York State.
NEW YORK STATE ROOM IN THE DAR MUSEUM
In 1995, following the restoration of the New York room, DAR Museum, Memorial Continental Hall, Washington, DC, Gerrodette and Morgan MacWhinnie donated several items to the room. Mrs. MacWhinnie was then serving as regent of the Southampton Colony Chapter.
A pair of brass urn-top fireplace andirons, fabricated in NYC c. 1779-1810, a pair of 18th century brass jamb hooks, a federal wire fender, and an 18th century mahogany side chair were all presented in memory of Mrs. MacWhinnie's grandmother, Irene Peet Gerrodette. A dedication service was held at Continental Hall during Continental Congress, with the President General, New York State officers, and members of the MacWhinnie family present.
Gerrodette MacWhinnie (Mrs. Morgan) honorably served two terms as New York State Chairman, DAR Museum. As a state chairman, it was Mrs. MacWhinnie's wish to underwrite the cost of printing new post cards of the New York State Room as her state project. Working with museum staff, this was accomplished. The new post cards became available in 1999.
HISTORIC PRESERVATION - PROMOTION OF EDUCATION - PATRIOTIC ENDEAVOR
For further information, please Email us at: Barbara@oikonomos.com
Or mail us at:
Southampton Colony Chapter, DAR
520 North Sea Road,
Southampton, NY 11968-2012
The DAR insignia is the property of and is copyrighted by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations or individual chapters.
Website maintained by webmaster, Jan Johnpier
Site updated, 7/20/09