Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site
Historical Sketch of the
First Baptist Church
of the Town of Summit
by Thomas Broxholm
originally printed in a publication called Stars and Stripes, 1913
submitted by Franklyn Ingram
electronic text by Doug Boyer
information from the church in the Worcester Association's Minutes for 1865 or 1867, but the Association's meeting in 1867, the following were appointed a committee to visit the Jefferson church: Elders H. Cornell and L. Powers, and Col Stephen Stilwell. At the Association's meeting in 1868, a letter from R. Ridge, the clerk, was received. The committee, with the addition of Elder A. Martin was continued, but the Association in 1869, voted to drop the name of the Jefferson church from Minutes.
The old edifice in which the Jefferson Baptist church brethren worshipped is still standing. And we want to say just a word or two about it. We walked over to it October 4, 1910. It is about five miles from Charlotteville. It was built some 70 years ago and is a plain, unpretentious frame building, with four windows on each side, and one door in front. It seems pretty well preserved, and is quite cozy inside. A few of the bricks were off the chimney and were lying on the roof. The building is about 44 feet long, 36 feet wide, and about 42 feet to the peak of the roof. The old horse sheds were built very low, to accommodate about a dozen vehicles. Two mowing machines, one horse rake, and three sleighs cluttered up seven of the stalls. Too bad! Isn't it sad?
We were sorry to see the old church so desolate looking. the cemetery back of the horse sheds adds no appearance of life to the old edifice. it looks sad and neglected.
And here we draw a deep, sad sigh, for we believe a similar end awaits the First Summit Baptist church, unless better judgment rules the church, and the edifice is moved from its present inconvenient location to the village.
In our seventh installment, we spoke of Mary Milks being baptized may 12, 1911 and that she probably was the wife of Benjamin Milks etc. She certainly was, and afterwards we found their graves in a field about forty rods northwest from the old cemetery mentioned above, but on the opposite side of the road. The graves were marked with marble slabs, one being thus inscribed: "Benjamin Milk (the "s" is omitted) died June 5, 1856, aged 75, 7 mos. 25 days", and the other: "Mary, wife of Benjamin Milk, died July 13, 1844, aged 62."
Elder Ingalls being one of the thirty-nine members dismissed, the First Summit Baptist church became pastorless, and it remained so until perhaps the latter part of 1832, or sometime before the Associational meeting in 1833, in which year Elder John Smith became pastor.
After the dismission of the members to form the new church, the First Summit reported to the Association in 1828 as 48 strong, and sent Eleasar Osborn, Jr., as the only delegate. The following year the church gained two - one by restoration and one by letter, and sent one delegate, the loyal and stanch Fred Albert, to the Association. In 1830, 52 were reported.
On October 18, 1823, Noah Beeman "requested to be exonerated from the office of church clerk," and Rhoderick R. Lavalley was appointed in his stead. On Nov. 11, 1826, Eleasar Osborn, Jr., grandfather of the present Mrs. H. D. Haner, was chosen assistant clerk. Eleasar Osborn, Jr., lived where F. M. Whiteman now lives, half a mile northwest of the old Lutheran church at Lutheranville. The idea of having an assistant clerk must have been for convenience sake, so that the regular clerk some miles away from the
place of meeting might be excused from attending every meeting. Sometimes the meetings would be five miles away from the house of regular clerk. Undoubtedly Eleasar Osborn, Jr., immediately after the dismission of the thirty-nine members to form the new Jefferson church, was made clerk of the First Summit Baptist church.
About the old church records.
When the thirty-nine members were dismissed to form the new church, Rhoderick R. Lavalley was clerk, and he undoubtedly carried the old church book (more than a hundred years old now) with him into the newly constituted church, and yet there are no records of the new church in it. The last record in the book is dated May 19, 1827. We found the old book in the safe keeping of Miss Emmeline Hix of Jefferson, and tried to persuade her to have it come back to the First Summit Baptist church.
Mr. Lavalley afterwards became a member of the Second Summit Baptist church of Summit village about the time of its organization. He was clerk of that church as early as 1840 when it was received into the Jefferson Union Baptist Association.
Association Delegates 1821-30.
The delegates to the Associational Meetings at this period were Elder Julius Beeman, Dea. Levi Lincoln, John Ripley, Silas Brown, Abram Palmer, Dea. Chase Hix, Orrin Banks, Alfred Stilwell, Enoch White, Zephaniah Durphy, Rhod. R. Lavalley, Elder James Ingalls, John B. VanBuren, Bela B. Brown, Eleasar Osborn, Jr. and Frederick Albert.
The delegates marked thus were among those dismissed to form the new church.
The Church leaves the Rensselaerville Association.
In 1830, nine churches of the Rensselerville and Franklin Association, the First Summit Baptist church being one of them, met on Oct. 4, with the First Baptist church of Worcester, now in the village of East Worcester, for the purpose of organizing a new Association. Elder E. Spafford was moderator and Stephen Jones, clerk. The result of the meeting may be gathered from the following resolutions:
Resolved: To form into an Association to be called the Worcester Association.
Resolved: That when dismissed from the Rensselaerville and Franklin Associations, we consider ourselves formed into a new Association.
The Church Incorporated.
At a meeting of the First Baptist Church of Summit, Nov. 19th, 1831, held pursuant to previous notice, (given according to statute), at the schoolhouse near James Howie's in the town of Summit, for the purpose of incorporating the church. John B. VanBuren and Elaesar Osborn, Jr., (received into the church by letter June 19, 1824, and probably son of Eleasar Osborn, a delegate from the Harpersfield Church to the Ordaining Council of Elder Ingalls), were chosen to preside. It was "resolved that the name and style of this society be the First Baptist Church in Summit." It was also "resolved that John B. VanBuren, Jacob Payne,
Gideon Wilcox (grandfather of Wilney H. Wilcox of Binghamton), Edmund Northrop, (third son of Elam Northrop and born July 31, 1798), and Eleasar Osborn, Jr., be the Trustees of the Society."
In verification of the above facts, we find the following in the Trustees' Book - No. 1:
"We hereby certify that at the time and place above mentioned, we being chosen to preside at said meeting, did superintend the same, and that John B. VanBuren, Jacob Payne, Gideon Wilcox, Edmund Northrop and Eleasar Osborn, Jr., were unanimously chosen trustees of said society; and we further certify that the said trustees and their successors shall forever hereafter be known and distinguished by the name of the First Baptist Church in Summit.
"In witness whereof we have hereunto set our hands and seals this nineteenth day of November, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty-One.
"Eleasar Osborn, Jr.
John B. VanBuren.
"In presence of Joseph Lincoln."
The above was acknowledged by Henry Shafer, a Judge of Schoharie County, December 9th, 1831, and recorded in the Clerk's Office of said County, 14th day of Dec., 1831, in Book A of Religious Incorporations, first page.
At the same meeting, the record said, the trustees of "the first Baptist Church of Summit" (although in the articles of incorporation the trustees and their successors are to be forever known and distinguished by the name of "the First Baptist Church 'in' Summit." Immediately the phraseology in the Trustees' Book is changed to "the First Baptist Church 'of' Summit") being all present were divided into three classes by drawing numbers. Eleasar Osborn, Jr., was of the class that drew No. 1, and was to serve one year; John B. VanBuren and Jacob Payne were of the class that drew No. 2, and were to serve two years; Gideon Wilcox and Edmund Northrop were of the class that drew No. 3, and were to serve three years.
Eleasar Osborn, Jr., was unanimously chosen as Clerk of the said Trustees, and the time of the annual meeting was declared to be the third Saturday in November of each year, but at the annual meeting in 1833, it was resolved that the annual meeting be held on the fourth Saturday of Nov., 1834 at half past twelve o'clock P. M. The time was afterwards changed to the Thursday evening before the fourth Sabbath of each November. In 1840 it was resolved to have but three trustees.
The First Summit Baptist Church had no pastor in 1832.
Early Temperance Work.
Temperance principles at this time were getting hold of the brethren. In 1829, the Rensselaerville Baptist Association had resolved "to recommend to all churches and brethren wholly to abstain from the use of ardent spirits." At the Worcester Baptist Association, held in Waterville (Otsego Co.) September 26 and 27, 1832, the First Summit Baptist Church, as it had now become a member of that Association, helped to adopt the following preamble and resolution:
WHEREFORE, Inasmuch as it hath pleased the Lord to influence of Zion's friends to discontinue the use of intoxicating liquors and to crown their efforts with His signal blessing and feeling conscious that a moderate use of ardent spirits is not only in most cases unnecessary, but is the direct path to intemperance and drunkenness; therefore.
Resolved, That we recommend to the churches to unite their efforts
in the general object of checking the use of this deadly poison; and especially we advise the members of the churches to entirely abandon the making, vending or using distilled spirits, except as a medicine in case of bodily infirmity.
A Church Building at Last.
It was in this year (1832) that a commodious house of worship was finished, and consequently a general meeting of the churches of the Association was held with the First Summit Baptist Church on November 21st (third Wednesday) at the opening of their meeting house. During all the years from the organization of the church in 1805 - or for 27 years - the church had worshipped in the house of the people or in schoolhouses, and likely sometimes in barns.
Elder John Smith becomes Pastor.
For the first time the annual meeting of Association is held with church.
In 1833, Elder John Smith was pastor, and the third annual meeting of the Association was held at the meeting house of the First Baptist Church of Summit, Sept. 25 and 26. Rev. N. D. Wright preached the annual sermon from Romans 6:14. rev. Elijah Spafford was Moderator. In that Associational year, 328 were added to the churches by baptism, the largest number in any one year of the Association's history. The churches were urged to form Temperance societies. Many resolutions were passed, one being to the effect that "the churches hold a general concert of prayer for the conversion of the world."
We notice in the Worcester Association Minutes for 1833, for the first time, a digest of the "interesting communications addressed to the body by the respective churches." The brethren of the First Summit Baptist Church state "that all their comfort is derived from the fact that Jesus is on the Mercy Seat - that His arm is powerful to save all that come unto God by Him", and that "some mercy drops have fallen among them, and many have learned that 'to obey is better than sacrifice and to hearken than the fat of rams.' "
During the Associational year, 38 were added by baptism, and the membership was 107.
The delegates to the Association were Elder Smith, and brethren J. B. VanBuren, Eleasar Osborn, jr., Gideon Wilcox and Seth Fancher.
Seth Fancher was the grandfather of Miss Jane Fancher, now living in Worcester village, who, with Mrs. Champion, related her Christian experience at the church meeting Feb. 27, 1858. Miss Fancher was baptized by Elder Russell H. Spafford. Seth Fancher moved into the town of Worcester about 1819, and lived on the farm and built the house where Thomas S. Lincoln now lives.
In out thirteenth Installment we said Gideon Wilcox was the grandfather of the present Wilney H. Wilcox of Binghamton. We were mistaken. Gideon was brother of Wilney's Grandfather, whose name was Jacob.
The Brethren Resolve against a paper.
At the Associational Meeting of Sept. 26-27, 1832, resolutions were passed expressing disapprobation of and disfellowshipping certain
sentiments contained in a newspaper printed at New Vernon, Orange County, and called the "Signs of the Times" and edited by Gilbert Beebe. The churches were warned "against its baneful influence." In 1833, the "Signs of the Times" was again disfellowshipped. The paper is still printed at Middletown, N. Y., having outlived both old Elder Gilbert Beebe and his son Benton. It is now run by Benton's widow. We set type on it in 1873, and also on the new edition of the Old School Baptist Hymn Book, printed in the same office.
It almost took our breath away when we read in the Minutes of 1833, the names of "The Baptist Female Benevolent Society of Summit," "The Worcester Female Benevolent Society," and "The Female Mite Society of Maryland." (that church no longer exists.) we don't use that sort of terminology now.
In 1834, the Summit brethren, according to the digest of the letter in the Minutes, reported to the Association that they did "not enjoy as much of the heavenly influence of the Holy Spirit as they did last year," but that "they nevertheless record the mercy of God in bearing with their stupidity and wandering, in reviving their drooping spirits when ready to faint, and making a way for their escape in every temptation."
Elder John Smith continued as pastor in 1834 and 1835. He was a remarkable man. It would seem that he was ordained in the First Summit Baptist Church when about twenty years old. He served as pastor in nine churches of the Worcester and Franklin Associations. In two of them for a second time, and the First Summit Church was one of them, namely about 1873. For fifty-one years of consecutive work, he was under engagement every Sunday. he labored from one to four months each year during the period of thirty years in protracted meetings. During his ministry, he married more than 200 couples; buried 482, and baptized 531. He lived to preach to the fifth generation. His salary was less than $300 a year, but yet he saved a competence. He died in Otego, in December 1886.
Elder Elisha Spafford.
In 1836, Elder Elijah Spafford became pastor, and continued with the church in 1837. The church did some disciplining during the year.
Harvey Cornell a Licentiate
During Elder Spafford's first year, Harvey Cornell was voted a license to preach. Also there was formed a Bible Society, an auxiliary to the Worcester Association's Bible Society. Also there was formed a Temperance Society. Also the church was sustaining a Sabbath School! And this is the first time that such a thing is mentioned concerning the First Summit Baptist Church. Also the church gave its support to the various objects of benevolence. The church seemed to be active enough, but at the Association only 77 members are reported, though in the Church Book, the number of members is stated as 80. However, that was quite a loss from the 107 reported in 1833, and so the church's letter to the Association, which was held with the First Summit Baptist Church, (the second time that the Association met with the church, indicates a little discouragement. The following remarks are made in the letter: "Through the forbearance of a kind Providence, we still retain our visibility as a church, yet prosperity withholds from us her smiles, and the love of worldly pleasure and gain has nearly absorbed the lively interest which we formerly felt in the cause of Christ. yet there are some who are endeavoring to maintain the faith of God's elect, and exhibit the excellency of the religion of Jesus,"
About the Circular Letter
In the early days the brethren were emphatic in believing in self-examination, and in the Circular Letter of 1825 (See Note below), the Elders and Messengers convened in the Rensslearville Association, held in Broome, Schoharie County, to the Churches of the same Association whom they represented, we can see their forebodings of mind and fearsomeness, less the cause suffer through their shortcomings. Some people think nowadays that the Christian people are awfully fallen away from what their early brethren were. But Christ is the same "yesterday, today and forever," and His true followers now ought to be real Christian just as much as they were real Christians a hundred years ago. But though they were real Christians they had their faults, and though we are real Christians, we have ours also. Let us copy a few lines from that old Circular letter, and we shall see what the brethren themselves thought of things more than eighty-five years ago. The letter, among other things says:
"Do we not see professors cold in their love both to God and the Brethren? Is it not an awful want of private, family and
Note: The idea of the Circular Letter went out of use some time ago. The last time a Circular letter was used in the Worcester Baptist Association was in 1868, but in its place appeared the Articles of Faith or the History of someone of the Churches etc. In 1869 the Articles of Faith appeared in its place. In 1876 the History of Middlefield Church appeared; in 1877 that of East Worcester; in 1878 the Maryland Baptist Church at Chaseville; in 1879 the First Summit Baptist Church which is misleading. In 1870 to 1875 inclusive, there was neither "Articles" nor "Church History". In 1860 there was a sketch of the sermon on the Fifteenth Anniversary of the Worcester Baptist Association by Rev. Jesse Evans (now, October 1911, living at Worcester in his 90th or 91st year). But even seventy-five or eighty years ago, for want of space in the Minutes, the Circular Letter was sometimes omitted and such a thinh happened in 1839 when instead of it the Articles of Faith were printed in the Worcester Association Minutes.
Also, in the olden times, there was a "Corresponding Letter'" printed in the Minutes, which was a letter of Christian greeting, encouragement, exhortation and information from the Association in session to the Association with whom it corresponded.
public devotion. In many cases, instead of brotherly love, there is an evident variance. If not, from whence comes all the whisperings, tattlings, talebearing and backbiting among the professed friends of God, which ultimately kindly into a flame and set brother against brother, and separate very friends.
"The Baptists were formerly noted for the humility. They wandered about in sheep-skins and goat-skins, were destitute, afflicted and tormented; but what is our appearance now? If God in mercy has reversed the scene and given us plenty instead of poverty, how exceedingly thankful ought we to be." (Having plenty instead of poverty must have been a quick change, so far as the Summit Baptist Church was concerned, for it was only a few years previously that the brethren were put to their wits end to raise Elder Mead's salary of $60 a year. With a twinkle in our eye we write the foregoing.) "But, alas! brethren" the Circular Letter continues, "what effect has prosperity produced on the churches in this day? Has it not in many cases displayed pride,
arrogance, and a haughty spirit, in a sinful conformity to the world, in vain customs and fashions, and too frequently looking down with contempt on the sons of want, instead of relieving their wants and necessities.
"The Baptists were formerly a separate people, separated from the society of vain and profligate persons; but are we not in this particular awfully fallen? In many instances we see professors spend much of their time that ought to be better employed, at public houses, where perhaps no necessary business has called them, and they appear to be delighted with vain conversation common at such places."
And the Circular Letter continued on at some length along the same line.
In October 1837, Hermon Mitchell (grandfather of the present Mrs. Levi H. Smith), Reuben Baker, and Delana Sherman Baker his wife, (grandparents of the present Henry Baker and Miss Julia Baker), and Hiram Lincoln (father of the present Levi J. Lincoln, postmaster of Charlotteville), were received as candidates for baptism. From that time on others were received until at the Associational meeting in 1838, the church membership had increased to the one hundred mark, but in 1839 it was down to 97 - one of the four decrease being a brother exhaled for "drinking to excess:. The people in general then did not regard the occasional taking a drink as an act unworthy of a church member, but the church would not tolerate in its members the "excessive drinking" habit.
In December 1837 (Uncle of the present Joseph, Deacon Jacob, Austin, Chester and Lysander Payne), Francis Boughton, Julian Payne, Delana Van Patten, Eunice, Mary and Charlotte Hawley followed their Lord in baptism. of course it was a winter month, but in these days, a little ice in the rivers and creeks was not dreaded by those who believed on the Son of God to the salvation of their souls. And just as our Baptist brethren along the banks of the Hudson, eighty or more years ago, sang Elder John Leland's Baptismal hymn and other such hymns in their worship of God, to stimulate their religious devotion and their fidelity to our Lord, so no doubt the First Summit Church brethren sang the same hymn. we append Elder Leland's hymn:
"Christians, if your hearts are warm.
Ice and snow can do no harm;
If by Jesus you are prized,
Rise, believe and be baptized;
"Jesus drank the gall for you;
Bore the curse for mortals due,
Children, prove your love to Him
never fear the frozen stream.
"Fire is good to warm the soul;
Water purifies the foul;
Fire and water both agree;
Winter soldiers never flee."
Elder Asa Butler - 1838-1840
In September 1838, Elder Asa Butler was received by letter. he was pastor now, and the first one that he baptized was William Burnsen, in November.
Elisha Robbins ordained.
On May 25, 1839, Elisha Robbins and Sarah S. Robbins were received by letter. On April 1840, a Council of the following churches: Maryland (no longer in existence, Westford, Worcester
(now East Worcester), Richmondville (no services at present), Cobleskill and Fulton (now West Fulton), Second Summit (no longer in existence) Jefferson (no longer in existence, but church building used monthly by Old School Baptists), and Jefferson and Blenheim (probably now Jefferson and Gilboa), was called and ordained brother Elisha Robbins to the gospel ministry. On Nov. 1st he and his wife Sarah L. were dismissed by letters.
In the church letter to the Association, held in the Baptist Church, town of Maryland, Otsego Co. N. Y., July 3rd and 4th 1839, it is reported that the church has "had no special revival the past year, but are blessed by the ministry of the Word."
At the Association, three different Baptist publications, namely, the Christian Review, the Baptist Missionary Magazine, and the Mother's Monthly Journal (published by Bennett and Bright, Utica), were recommended to the churches, the latter "as worthy of the perusal of those who, having under their immediate care, the rising generation."
(Human Slavery condemned)
Public sentiment against human slavery was growing, and so, we need not be surprised in finding at that same Association that it was -
"Resolved, That, believing slavery to be wrong and a sin, we deeply deplore the present enslaved condition of a portion of home-born Americans, and feel it our duty to raise the voice of prayer to Almighty God, for the peaceful abolition of slavery."
Elder Ingraham Powers.
In 1840 Elder Ingraham Powers became pastor half of the time. The other half of his time he was pastor of the second Summit Baptist Church, which organized in 1839 with twenty members, principally from Jefferson Baptist Church which was dropped by the Worcester Association in 1869. The second Summit was discontinued in 1878.
Additional Delegates 1830-1840.
The following were delegates during the above period: Elder John Smith, Eleasar Osborn, Jr., Edmund Northrop, Samuel Stilwell, John B. VanBuren, Seth Fancher, Wm. P. Post, Licentiate Harvey Cornell, Elder A. Butler, Dea. Joseph Lincoln, Hiram VanBuren, David D. Rider, and Licentiate Elisha Robbins.
Eleasar Osborn, Jr., continued as church clerk until Sept. 19, 1840, when he requested to be excused from acting as such, and Edmund Northrop, son of Elam Northrop, one of the constituent members, was elected to fill his place. Mr. Osborn's post office address in 1834-35 and other years is designated in the Associational Minutes at Charlotteville. As stated in Twelfth Installment, he lived some distance northwest of the old Lutheran Church at what is now called Lutheranville, with a post office, and John Warner as Postmaster, but it used to be called Tar Hollow from the circumstance that during the Anti-Rent troubles, the Sheriff was there treated to a coat of tar and feathers.
In 1840, the First Summit Baptist Church numbered about a hundred.
As a result of the special church meeting held August 31, 1844, a Council was called, and the following twenty-seven churches were each requested to send their pastor and two brethren to meet with the First Summit Baptist Church, Oct. 3rd, 1844, namely: Felhi, Oneonta, East Meredith, West Meredith, Franklin, Milford, west Worcester, (now called 2nd Worcester), Westford, Worcester (now called 1st Worcester), Maryland, Middlefield, Cooperstown, Cherry Valley, South Valley, Seward and Decatur, Leesville, Argusville, Sloansville, Waterville (now Westville), Cobleskill and Fulton, Harpersfield, Preston Hollow, Rensselaerville, Jefferson and Blenheim, Second Summit and Richmondville.
Twenty-four of the churches responded. It indicates how well the churches at that time attended to business. In December, 1910, the ordination of a young man, W. W. Stilwell, to the Baptist ministry was expected to take place at the Dorloo church belonging to the Worcester baptist Association, and out of all the churches of the Association only two pastors responded - we ourselves being one and Rev. W. Lyle Robinson of Sloansville being the other and he himself had not been yet ordained two months. The result was that at that date he was not ordained. But now perhaps such delay in ordaining a pastor will not again occur, as at the Associational meeting held at Sloansville, June 6-8, 1941, it was moved and carried that the committee on the Missionary Work in the Association be also an Advisory Committee on Ordination, which means that churches consult with the Advisory Committee before sending out letters to the churches inviting them to sit with them in ordaining a pastor. The work of the Advisory Committee is to see whether the candidate is eligible to ordination and thus obviate the "going on a wild goose chase" of delegates, sent by churches to an ordination service. Brother Stilwell went before the Advisory Committee, and was then promptly ordained on June 30, 1911. let all things be "done decently and in order".
The Elder Maine Council finished up its work in double quick order for the Elder had been received by a sister church, and the mind of the Council was that any further investigation would not be profitable and it was therefore resolved that the Council be dissolved. The whole business from beginning to end was unprofitable. It would have been a good thing had lightning struck the bee-tree before Elder Maine ever saw it. It was a mucky mess and had a bad effect on the church.
On July 27, 1844, it was "Resolved, that we invite Brother Preston to spend the vacation at Hamilton with us as our minister." That is the first time, we think, that we have seen the word "minister" in the old church records. But that does not strike us with much surprise, though the idea of Brother Preston spending "the vacation at Hamilton with us" did at first sight. But never mind, it is plain enough when you grasp it.
It was also resolved at that meeting that "letters of dismission granted by the church remain in force for one year and no longer, unless a satisfactory reason be given by the person holding the same for not uniting within that time." It was also resolved that the church invite Elder Cornell "to preach with us a few weeks, when convenient for him."
On June 21st 1845, the clerk of the church was authorized "to record the vote of resolution passed by the church in 1840 (and not heretofore recorded), adopting the summary of the Articles of Faith of the Worcester (Baptist) Association as published in their Minutes of 1839," as the church's Articles of Faith.
Licentiate Colborn Preston remained as pastor another year, and on September 27, 1845, his letter from the First Baptist Church in Wallingford, Vermont, was accepted by the church and he became a member of the venerable church, and on December 10th was ordained a Baptist minister. He remained as pastor until the spring of 1848, and received a letter of dismission and recommendation July 22nd, 1848.
About the time of Elder Preston's pastorate many were neglecting the church, and several committees were appointed to look after the delinquents and the hand of fellowship was withdrawn from several. One brother was labored with "for neglecting the church and getting intoxicated." He confessed his shortcomings, and the church promised to bear with him, if he would let liquor alone in future."
But though the church lost several through disfellowshipping, yet some baptisms took place and some united by letter.
About June 1st, Licentiate Charles Purrett of Springfield became pastor of the church. He had only preached a few weeks when the hand of fellowship was withdrawn from some half a dozen "for being removed from the church more than a year ago, without asking for letters of dismission." (There are several such names on the church book now - some that have been away for years, thus neglecting their Covenant vows.) Soon afterwards the hand of fellowship was withdrawn from five others for neglecting the church. Mr. Purrett was dismissed by letter April 1849.
On January 27th, 1849, the following brethren; Peter H. Mitchell, John B. VanBuren and D. L. Rider were appointed a committee to procure a minister and after a time Elder Francis Jones was secured as pastor and remained until about 1852. Elder Jones lived in the house (frame) in Center Valley (the Hornknocker) in which the present Eugene Lewis now lives and which belonged to Chester Payne, father of the present Deacon Jacob Payne. Afterwards Elder Francis Jones built a house, still standing, forty or fifty rods east of the present so called Mud Lake Schoolhouse on the east Worcester road, and run a saw-mill, long since gone into decay. part of the old dam still remains.
In 1850, a hundred dollars were raised to defray the expenses of repairing and painting the meeting house. Its first coat of paint had lasted well.
Elder Ingraham Powers, 1841-2, Deacon Hiram VanBuren, 1841, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8; Eleasar Osborn, Jr., 1841, 3, 4, 5; Joseph Chickering, 1841, 3; Edmund Northrop 1842, 5, 8; James S. Martin 1842, 4; D. L. Rider 1842; J. N. Boughton 1842; Elder Hiram Maine 1843; Peter H. Mitchell, 1843; Pastor Colburn Preston 1845, 7, 8; William Queal 1847; Seth Fancher 1847; Licentiate Charles Purrett, 1848.
In 1842, the delegates Hiram Van Buren and James S. Martin were appointed to solicit funds in aid of Home and Foreign Missions.
D. L. Rider was appointed Church Clerk, September 23, 1848, in place of Edmund Northrop who was going to move away. He was Clerk until 1851.
The Worcester Baptist Association met for the third time with the First Summit Baptist Church, July 2 and 3, 1851.
About 1852 Elder Elijah Spafford was with the church for a time and both he and Elder Francis Jones were appointed as delegates to the Association. he was granted a letter of dismission and recommendation July 24, 1852. At the same time, James Hoose (brought up by old Jacob Payne and sometimes called Payne), Joseph Payne, Jacob Payne, George Payne, Austin Payne, Mary Payne, Mary A. Payne, and Lucy Payne (a very Payne-ful lot), related their Christian experience and were
A Note to Researchers using this Web-site: As you use this site, please keep in mind the difference between primary and secondary sources and the importance of building a preponderance of evidence. Accept nothing without further checking. It is our hope that through this collection of data from many sources, you will find a piece of the puzzle that you are working on and that may lead you to further discoveries.
Links to external web sites are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or approval of any of the products, services or opinions contained in any external web site.
Welcome Page of Schoharie
County NYGenWeb Site
This page established July 19, 2000