Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site
(History of Woodbury, Connecticut)
This has been a name of some consequence on the other side of the water. Sixteen
different families have entered their coat of arms in the herald's office. It has
been a numerous family on both sides of the Atlantic. Ten of the name graduated at
different colleges prior to 1853.
John Atwood , Gent., from London was made a freeman, 1636, and was assistant in the
Plymouth Colony in 1638. He brought over a large estate, and died 1644. Harmon was
member of the artillery company, 1644, freeman, 1645, in Mass. Capt. Thomas of
Wethersfield, Conn., tradition says, was for a time Captain of a company under
Oliver Cromwell. He was a physician of some note, and died 1682. He married Abigail,
Abigail, b. Sept. 30, 1668
Andrew, b. Sept. 1, 1671
Jonathan, b. June 8, 1675
Josiah,   b. Oct. 4, 1678
Dr. Jonathan emigrated to Woodbury, and was among the early settlers. He married
Sarah Terell Thanksgiving Day evening, Nov. 5, 1701, and died June 1, 1733. His
estate, as valued by his distributors, March 16,1733, amounted to £469, 5 s.
Oliver had £235, 5 s. Jonathan £234. He had
- Nathan2, b. Sept. 6 ,1702, "early in the morning", and was a very strong man. He
died a. about 24.
- Mary2, b. Oct. 22,1703; d. Dec. 22, following
- Mary2, b. April 20,1705, mother of Dr. Seth and Atwood Bird.
- Lieut. Jonathan2, b. Sept. 9, 1710; died 1783.
- Oliver2, b. March 11,1717; 4. Jan 30, 1810.
- Elijah3, b. April 11, 1724; died Nov. 29,1804
- Sarah3, b. June 29, 1726
m. Annah Jocelyn, of East Haven, Conn., (she died 1814) and had
- Jesse4, b. May 12, 1852; m. Rachel Minor; went to Jefferson,
N.Y., and d. about 1834.
(Insert Military Record from Veterans Administration.)
(Ed. Note: No military record found with this section)
<Page 2 in original text>
- Asa4,b. Dec. 31, 1753; m. 1st Esther A., 2nd ----- Hurd,
and was shot by the British in New York the day it was evacuated.
- Molly4, b.Nov. 24, 1755; m. Elijah Weller, and had Huldah, Annie,
Benjamin, Orry, and Sally.
- Noble4, b. Nov. 23, l758; m. Margaret, dau. Stephen Judd.
- Sally4, bap. Jan. 31, 1762; m. Obadiah Monson.
- Elijah4, b. March 15,1765; m. Abigail Atwood.
- Anna4, bap. May 15, 1768; m. Uri Bronson.
- Asa5, m. , lived at Lockport, N. Y.; d. about 1843.
- William5, b. June ,1783; m. Clarissa Martin; had Jason.
- Lydia5, m. Wells Atwood; went west.
- Betsey5, m. Beecher Tolles; went to N. Y. State. had children.
- Ally5, Single.
- Anna5, m. Jacob Jones, N. Y.
(Pages 490-493, Cothren's History of Ancient Woodbury)
A Note to Researchers using this Web-site: As you use this site, please keep in
mind the difference between primary and secondary sources and the importance of building a
preponderance of evidence. Accept nothing without further checking. It is our hope that
through this collection of data from many sources, you will find a piece of the puzzle
that you are working on and that may lead you to further discoveries.
Links to external web sites are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or approval of any of the products, services or opinions contained in any external web site.
Welcome Page of the Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site
This page established February 17, 1998