Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site
History of Schoharie County by William E. Roscoe
SCHOHARIE COUNTY COUNTY CIVIL LIST.
JUDGES OF COMMON PLEAS - ASSISTANT JUDGES - SURROGATES - DISTRICT ATTORNEYS - COUNTY CLERKS - SHERIFFS - TREASURERS - SUPERINTENDENTS OF POOR - SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS - LOAN COMMISSIONERS - EXCISE - INSPECTORS - GOVERNOR - TREASURERS - ADJUTANT GENERAL - CANAL COMMISSIONERS - CANAL APPRAISERS - CURATOR OF STATE LIBRARY - LEGISLATURE - SENATORS - CONGRESS - PRESIDENTIAL ELECTORS - CONSULS.
The Court of Common Pleas was continued from the Colonial period, and under the first Constitution of the State the number of Judges and Assistant Justices in the various counties differed widely, in some there being as many as twelve of each. By an act passed March 29, 1818, the office of Assistant Justices was abolished and the number of Judges was limited to five, including the First Judge.
William Beekman, appointed June 10, 1795. John C. Wright, do April 18, 1833. Charles Goodyear, do Febr'y 9, 1843. Demosthenes Lawyer, elected November, 1847. Lyman Sanford, do November, 1855 William C. Lamont, do November, 1863. Charles Holmes,1 do November, 1871.
The Assistant Judges received their appointment from the council of appointment, and we do not think they numbered at any time less than four or more than five. The council having such powers conferred upon them to use it without stint. The volumes of appointments are almost numberless, and at one time being limited, we cannot give the date of the appointmnet but only the year in which they presided as given by court record: -
Adam B. Vroman, of Schoharie, John M. Brown, of Carlisle, David Sternbergh, of Broome,
and Jonathan Danforth, of Middleburgh, were of the first bench, and received their
appointment June 10, 1795.
Peter Swart, of Schoharie, 1795.
John Bauch, (Bouck), of Middleburgh, 1796.
Marcus Bellinger, of Middleburgh, 1796.
John Ries, of Schoharie, 1797; Peter Snyder, 1797.
Lawrence Lawyer, Jr., 1798; Henry Schaeffer, 1798.
Peter Vroman, Jun., 1799; Harmonus Bouck, 1799.
Joseph Borst, 1800.
Jesse Shepherd, 1804.
Olney Briggs, 1816; Henry Hager, 1816.
Isaac Hall Tiffany, 1820.
John Brewster, 1819; John Reynolds, 1819; Henry Becker, 1819.
Elias Holliday, 1820; N. P. Tyler, 1820.
Marvin Judd, 1823; Thomas P. Danforth, 1823.
William Mann, 1830.
Robert Eldridge, 1837.
Harvey Watson, 1838; John Westover, 1838.
Jonas Krum, 1840.
Martines Mattice, 1843.
Nathan T. Rosseter, 1845.
The Constitution of 1846 provided for the election of nearly all offices by the people. In the place of Assiostant Judges, two Justices of the Peace were associated with the Judge to hold Courts of Sessions, with such criminal jurisdiction as the Legislature shall prescribe and perform such duties as may be required by law. The associates are termed Session Justices.
Seymour Sornberger and Daniel McGarry, 1847.
Charles Watson and John E. Moore, 1850.
Hiram Sexton and John F. Shaver, 1851, and to fill vacancy, Henry P. Mattice.
Henry I. Moak, Hiram Sexton, Ralph Brewster,2 1852.
William H. Crowe, John S. Van Sternbergh, 1853.
Elish Case and Nathan Gallup, 1854.
Seymour Sornberger, Robert Crespen, 1856.
Henry Loucks, William E. Sprong, 1857.
F. P. Martin, Elisha Case, 1858.
G. G. Hynds, Tiffany Lawyer, 1859.
Lyman Baker, Tiffany Lawyer, 1860.
James R. Baldwin, John W. Gibbs, 1862.
Jacob U. Zimmer, W. E. Sprong, 1863.
S. B. Richmond, Abraham Spickerman, 1864.
Freegift P. Martin, Alfred Isham, 1865.
James Swarthout, Alfred H. Isham, 1866.
Stephen J. Tyler, Seymour Sornberger, 1867.
Alfred H. Isham, S. J. Tyler, 1868.
Elish Case, John H. Mattice, 1869-'70.
James Swarthout, 1871.
S. Diefendorf, G. H. Furguson, 1872.
Asa Tinklepaugh, S. Diefendorf, 1873.
Philip Humphrey, O. D. Young, 1874.
William H. Brayman, C. A. Hinman, 1875.
E. Willard Bois, Aaron Stevens, 1876.
Gideon Kling. Spenser Burnett, 1877.
J. C. Smith, Spenser Burnett, 1878.
M. C. Teller, Edgar Akeley, 1879.
Spenser Burnett, J. C. Smith, 1880.
J. L. Beard, Edward L. Snyder, 1881.
3Under the first constitution, surrogates were appointed by the council for an unlimited period. By the second, they were appointed by the Governor and Senate for four years, and by the third the office was abolished in counties, not to exceed forty thousand population, and devolved its duties upon the County Judge.
Storm A. Becker, appointed June 10, 1795. John Gebhard, do Feb. 26, 1811. Storm A. Becker, do March 9, 1813. John Gebhard, do Feb. 28, 1815. William Mann, do Feb. 4, 1822. Henry Hamilton, do March 2, 1832. Thomas Smith, do March 26, 1840. Demosthenes Lawyer, do March 26, 1844.
By an act passed April 21, 1818, each county was erected into a separate district for the purpose of this office, and during the existence of the second constitution, it was filled by appointment of the Court of General Sessions in each county. By the law of 1846, the attorney is elected by the people. At present the salary is established by the board of supervisors, and is $700.00.
Henry Hamilton, of Schoharie, appointed June 11, 1818.
David F. Sacia, of Middleburgh, appointed February 13, 1821.
Thomas Lawyer, of Cobleskill, appointed February 4, 1822.
Jacob Houck, Jun., of Schoharie, appointed October 11, 1831.
Robert McClellan, of Middleburgh, appointed June 7, 1836.
Benonai Spafford, of Middleburgh, appointed June 8, 1837.
William A. Sternbergh, of Middleburgh, appointed October 12, 1844.
Peter S. Danforth, of Middleburgh, appointed June 5, 1845.
William H. Engle, of Middleburgh, elected June, 1847.
Joseph Mackey, of Gilboa, elected November, 1850.
John B. Strain, of Richmondville, elected November, 1853.
Nathan P. Hinman, of Schoharie, elected November, 1856.
Stephen L. Mayham, of Blenheim, elected November, 1859.
William H. Young, of Cobleskill, elected November, 1862.
Henry C. Cook, of Richmondville, elected November, 1868.
Albert Baker, of Cobleskill, elected November, 1869.
William H. Baldwin, of Gilboa, elected November, 1874.
William H. Thorne, of Middleburgh, elected November 1877.
Alonzo B. Coons, of Sharon, elected November, 1880.
Besides keeping the County records, the clerk's duty is to act as clerk of the courts. Like nearly all other offices, under the first constitution this was filled by appointment and under the second by election. The official term is three years.
Joachim G. Staats, appointed June 10, 1795. Isaac Marcellus, do Dec. 31, 1801. Wm. W. Enders, do July 6, 1815. John Swart, do Mar. 27, 1819. John D. Lawyer, do Feb. 13, 1821. John D. Lawyer, elected Nov., 1822. Alex. H. Marcellus, do Nov., 1825. John Gebhard, Jun., do Nov., 1828. Abraham A. Keyser, do Nov., 1834. Wm. A. Horton, do Nov., 1837. Thomas McArthur, do Nov., 1840. Stephen Mayhan, do Nov., 1846. Loring Andrews, do Nov., 1849. Almerin Gallup, do Nov., 1852. John F. Shafer, do Nov., 1855. Henry Kingsley, do Nov., 1861. John H. Coons, do Nov., 1867. John Morrison, do Nov., 1870. Thomas Zeh, Jun., do Nov., 1873. Wm. B. Murphy, do Nov., 1876. Wm. B. Murphy, do Nov., 1879.
Under the first constitution, sheriffs were appointed annually by the "Council," and no person could hold the office for more than four successive years. he could hold no other office, and must be a free-holder in the county in which he was appointed. By the second the office became elective for the term of three years, ineligible to election for the next succeeding term.
Jacob Lawyer, Jun., appointed June 10, 1795. Jackson Lawrence, do Feb. 23, 1796. Jacob Mann, do Mar. 4, 1797. Peter Vrooman, Jun., do Aug. 8, 1801. Barent Vrooman, do Oct. 29, 1801. Stephen Lawrence, do Feb. 5, 1805. Gideon Wilber, do Feb. 24, 1808. Peter Swart, Jun., do Feb. 16, 1810. Stephen Lawrence, do Feb. 21, 1811. Wm. C. Bouck, do Mar. 10, 1812. Peter Swart, Jun., do Mar. 9, 1813. Adam P. Becker, do April 18, 1814. Abraham Keyser, Jun., do Feb. 28, 1815. Giles H. Hubbard, do Feb. 9, 1819. Constant Brown, do Feb. 12, 1821. Constant Brown, elected Nov., 1822. E. Van Horne, do Nov., 1825. Jacob L. Lawyer, do Nov., 1828. Peter Osterhout, do Nov., 1831. Adam Mattice, do Nov., 1834. Daniel Larkin, do Nov., 1837. Cyrus Smith, (removed,) do Nov., 1840. Henry Mann, Jr., appointed July 1, 1842. John L. Brown, elected Nov., 1842. Tobias Bouck, do Nov., 1845. Treat Durand, do Nov., 1848. John V. Stryker, do Nov., 1851. David D. L. McCulloch, do Nov., 1854. Frederick Rowley, do Nov., 1857. John R. Moran, do Nov., 1860. Peter W. Ferris, do Nov., 1863. Thos. H. Knickerbocker, do Nov., 1866. Jacob Angle, do Nov., 1869. John F. Sawyer, do Nov., 1872. Jehiel Brazee, do Nov., 1875. Orson Root, do Nov., 1878. Ezra Mitchell, do Nov., 1881.
Previous to 1846 the Treasurer was appointed by the Board of Supervisors. Since the expiration of the term of the officer then holding, it has been an elective one, the term being three years.
Ralph Brewster, elected Nov., 1848. David Becker, do Nov., 1854. Peter S. Swart, do Nov., 1857. John Pinder, do Nov., 1863. James O. Williams,4 appointed Oct., 1869. James O. Williams, elected Nov., 1869. John J. Dickinson, do Nov., 1875. James O. Williams,5 appointed Dec., 1879. James O. Williams, elected Nov., 1880.
SUPERINTENDENTS OF THE POOR.
By legislative act of 1827, the office of Superintendent was created and consisted of three in number, appointed yearly by the Board of Supervisors.
Previous to 1830, each town took charge of its own poor, and usually sold by auction, their support to the lowest bidder. In 1846 the office became elective. term, three years.
Harmonus Bouck, appointed Oct., 1830. Ralph Manning, do Nov., 1830. Jacob Crounse, do Oct., 1830. Ralph Manning, do Oct., 1831. Thomas Butler, do Oct., 1831. Peter Osterhout, do Oct., 1831. Thomas Butler, do Oct. 3, 1832. Chester Laselle, do Oct. 3, 1832. Ralph Manning, do Oct. 3, 1832. John Van Gaasbeck, do Oct. 4, 1833. Jacob Crounse, do Oct. 4, 1833. Harvey Watson, do Oct. 14, 1834. Harmon Becker, do Oct. 14, 1834. William Dietz, do Oct. 14, 1834. Harvey Watson, do Oct. 6, 1835. Philip Mann, do Oct. 6, 1835. Harvey Watson, do Oct. 5, 1835. Hezekiah Manning, do Oct. 5, 1836. Harmonus Vroman, do Oct. 2, 1838. Hezekiah Manning, do Oct. 4, 1838. Wm. I. Borst, do Oct. 4, 1838. Hezekiah Manning,6 do Oct. 1, 1839. Wm. I. Borst,6 do Oct. 1, 1839. Harmonus Vroman, 6 do Oct. 1, 1839. Wm. I. Borst, do Oct. 18, 1845. Harmonus Vroman, do Oct. 18, 1845. Marcy Sternbergh, do Oct. 12, 1846. Charles Watson, elected, Nov. 17, 1848. Orson Root, do Nov. 17, 1848. Martin A. Watson, appointed, Jan. 3, 1849. M. A. Watson, elected, Nov. 27, 1849. Chas. Watson, do Nov. 3, 1850. Wm. I. Borst, do Nov. 3, 1852. Richard F. Noxen, do Nov., 1858. David P. Stevens, do Nov., 1861. Martin L. Borst,6 do Nov., 1864. D. C. Hager, do Nov., 1870. David Zeh, do Nov., 1873. John M. DeGraff, do Nov., 1876. J. M. DeGraff, do Nov., 1879.
COUNTY SUPERINTENDENTS OF SCHOOLS.
By an Act passed April 17, 1843, the Board of Supervisors of the several counties were directed to appoint County Superintendents of Common Schools. In 1812 the office of State Superintendent was created and continued until 1821, when it was abolished, and the duties devolved upon the Secretary of State, who appointed a deputy to take charge of the department. the towns elected a Superintendent during the time, who reported the condition and progress of the schools to the County Clerk, who in turn, reported to the State Department. In 1841, Samuel S. Randall, the Deputy State Superintendent, whose interest in educational matters knows no bounds, in advance of the law of 1843, appointed County Superintendents. The law was made in accordance with his theory, excepting the Board of Supervisors made the appointments.
Ezra Smith, appointed, 1841. John H. Salisbury, do 1843. Luther F. Hartwell, do 1845. Bartholomew Becker, do 1847.
Those officers reported direct to the State Department, after receiving those of the town commissioners. During Mr. Becker's term of office, March 13, 1847, the office was abolished, but the commissioners remained, or continued, as by Act of 1843. In 1856 the system was changed, and the County School Commissioners were created, and the first election, under the law, was held in November, 1857; the year previous the Board of Supervisors appointed. The County was divided into two districts - eastern and western.
Nelson Rust, appointed Nov., 1856. Reuben Shelmandine, do Nov., 1856. Bartholomew Becker, elected Nov., 1857. Augustus C. Smith, do Nov., 1857. Bartholomew Becker, do Nov., 1860. Augustus C. Smith, do Nov., 1860. Bartholomew Becker, do Nov., 1863. Augustus C. Smith, do Nov., 1863. John VanVoris, do Nov., 1866. Ambrose R. Hunting, do Nov., 1866. John VanVoris, do Nov., 1869. A. R. Hunting, do Nov., 1869. John VanSchaick, do Nov., 1872. John S. Mayhan, do Nov., 1872. John VanSchaick, do Nov., 1875. John S. Mayhan, do Nov., 1875. Wm. H. Albro, do Nov., 1878. Geo. D. Ostrom, do Nov., 1878. Jacob H. Mann, do Nov., 1881. Legrand VanTuyl, do Nov., 1881
The office was created by an act passed the 14th of March, 1792, for the purpose of loaning United States' surplus moneys. The list is as perfect as can be obtained, and gives only the year the oath of office was taken:
J. O'Brien, oath taken, 1831. H. Manning, do 1831. H. Manning, do 1833. Jacob Becker, do 1833. H. Manning, do 1835. Jacob Becker, do 1835. H. Manning, do 1838. J. Becker, do 1838. H. Manning, do 1843. J. Becker, do 1843. Robert F. Queal, do 1855. John S. Frost, do 1855. Jas. Parsons, do 1857. G. B. Badgley, do 1857. Jas. Parsons, do 1859. G. B. Badgley, do 1859. W. Dominic, do 1861. R. Merchant, do 1861. Sylvanus Sweet, do 1863. John H. Walker, do 1865. Sylvanus Sweet, do 1865. M. Van B. Hager, do 1870. Jas. A. Bouck, do 1870. Albines Hess, do 1873. Philip Deyo, do 1873.
COMMISSIONERS OF EXCISE.
Commissioners of Excise were appointed by the County Judge and two associate Justices, and were to meet annually to grant licenses for selling liquors and keeping inns. The office was created April 16, 1857.
Seymour Boughton, appointed 1857. Peter Hynds, do 1857. Rassellas Ellis, do 1857. Wm. S. Clark, do 1862. Wm. Snyder, do 1862. Ira Twitchell, do 1862. Wm. Snyder, do 1866. Merenes Farsier, do 1868.
INSPECTORS OF TURNPIKE ROADS.
The duty of the Inspectors was to attend to complaints made against the condition of the turnpikes, with power to condemn either road or bridges and close toll-gates if the roads were not kept in order. In short, to compel the companies to act according to their charters. they were:-
Henry Shafer, 1827. P. M. Snyder, 1827. David Lawton, 1828. Joseph Bouck, 1828. Ira Dewey, 1829. Henry Shafer, 1829. John D. Butler, 1830. Ira Dewey, 1830. John Stoll, 1831. William B. Wood, 1831. James D. Butler, 1832. Ira Dewey, 1832. S. Bortle, 1833. E. VanHorne, 1833. W. B. Wood, 1833. Olney Briggs, 1833. Martin Haman, 1834. Olney Briggs, 1834. W. B. Wood, 1835. S. Bortle, 1835. D. S. Howard, 1836. Jacob Feek, 1836. Jacob Feek, 1837. Ira Dewey, 1837. John B. Morehouse, 1839. Joseph Scofield, 1839. William Simpson, 1840. Peter Swart, Jr., 1840. Nicholas Russel, 1841. Stephen Badgley, 1841. Peter Z. Swart, 1842. Nicholas Russel, 1842. Ira Hullan, 1843. John F. Hiller, 1844. John Shaver, 1845. David Bergh, 1845. James Shaver, 1846. Munson Morehouse, 1847. Peter Swart, Jr., 1847. M. R. Boughton, 1847. O. Root, 1848. Jerome Dwelly, 1848. M. R. Boughton, 1848. John Badgley, 1848. John C. Moeller, 1849. Peter Z. Swart, 1849. Peter VanPatten, 1850. John V. Stryker, 1850. Fred B. Shaver, 1850. Stephen Merenes, 1851. Peter Z. Swart, 1851. James M. Hazzard, 1851.
PLANK ROAD INSPECTORS.
Their duties were similar to those of Turnpike Inspectors.
Elijah H. Crawford, 1850. Peter W. Enders, 1850. James Plank, 1851. Peter W. Enders, 1851.
Licensed by the County as by Act of April, 1826:
George Lawrence, July 1st, 1826. do do 1829. do do 1830. do do 1831. do do 1832. do do 1833. Daniel Adams, 1831. James W. Mellan, 1831. Peter W. Enders, 1837.
The following residents of Schoharie County have held positions in the State government:
Governor. - Wm C. Bouck, elected November, 1842.
Treasurer. - Abraham Keyser, appointed, 1826 to 1838.
Adjutant-General. - Lyman Sanford, appointed, 1843.
Canal Commissioner. - Wm. C, Bouck, appointed, 1821 to 1841.
Canal Appraiser. - William Mann, 1ppointed, 1836.
Regents of University. - John Keyes Paige, appointed, 1829; Wm. C. Bouck, appointed, 1845.
Delegates to Constitutional Conventions. - 2d, 1821, Olney Briggs, Asa Starkweather, Jacob Sutherland; 3d, 1846, Wm. C. Bouck, John Gebhard, Jr.; 4th, 1868, Hobert Krum.
Curator of the State Cabinet. - John Gebhard, Jr., appointed June 5th, 1849 to 1856, re-appointed November, 1880.
Commissioner of Boundary Lines between New York and Connecticut, Jacob Vroman, appointed, August 21, 1859.
Legislature. - The County was represented by one member from its formation to the year 1802, when it was allowed two representatives to the year 1816. From the latter year to 1822, three. In 1823 the number was changed to two, and in 1858 it reverted again to one.
From the first to the eighteenth session (1777 to 1795) one member from Schoharie represented Albany as follows:-
Peter Vroman, 1777. do 1778. do 1779. do 1786. do 1787. Isaac Vrooman, 1779. do 1780. do 1781. do 1782. Cornelius VanDyck, 1788. do 1789.
The members from Schoharie County alone were as follows: -
John Rice, 1796. do 1797. do 1798. Peter Swart, 1798. do 1799. Storm A. Becker, 1800. Joseph Borst, Jr., 1800. do 1801. Lawrence Lawyer, Jr., 1802. do 1803. Henry Becker, 1803. do 1804. do 1805. do 1811. Freegift Patchin, 1804. do 1805. do 1820. do 1821. do 1822. Henry Bellinger, 1806. Henry Shafer, 1806. do 1807. do 1808. Peter Swart, Jr., 1807. do 1808. do 1819. do 1820. John Ingold, Jr., 1809. do 1810. Henry Hager, 1811. do 1812. John Redington, 1812. Heman Hickok, 1812. do 1813. do 1820. Peter A. Hilton, 1812. do 1813. do 1816. do 1817. William C. Bouck, 1814. do 1815. do 1816. do 1818. William Dietz, 1813. do 1814. do 1815. do 1823. Thomas Lawyer, 1816. Isaac Barber, 1816. do 1817. Aaron Hubbard, 1816. do 1817. do 1819. George H. Mann, 1818. Jedediah Miller, 1819. do 1820. do 1832. do 1838. Barnabas Eldredge, 1820. do 1821. Abraham Keyser, Jr. 1820. do 1821. do 1822. Harvey Watson, 1822. Marvin Judd, 1824. John Stryker, 1824. Joseph I. Borst, 1825. Freeman Stanton, 1825. Robert Eldredge, 1826. do 1831. Martinus Mattice, 1826. do 1833. Samuel Baldwin, 1827. William Mann, 1827. Henry Devereaux, 1828. James Sweetman, 1828. Valentine Efner, 1829. Peter Hynds, 1829. Abraham L. Lawyer, 1830. do 1831. Charles Watson, 1830. Daniel Hager, Jun., 1831. Alexander Crookshanks,1832. Jacob L. Lawyer, 1833. Watson Orr, 1834. John G. Young, 1834. John F. Hiller, 1835. Jonas Krum, 1835. Hiram Walden, 1836. Alvin Wilkins, 1836. Philip Mann, 1837. Reuben Merchant, 1837. Mitchell Sanford, 1838. Harvey Bliss, 1839. George F. Fox, 1839. Seymour Boughton, 1840. Charles Goodyear, 1840. Nicholas Beekman, 1841. Jacob C. Skillman, 1841. George Wright, 1842. William Fink, 1842. Abraham Richtmyer, 1843. John Osterhout, 1843. John Spickerman, 1844. Seth Eldredge, 1844. Henry Tibbits, 1845. Seymour Boughton, 1845. Thomas Lawyer, 1846. Thomas Smith, 1846. do 1847. Elisha Hammond, 1847. Adam Mattice, 1848. James Parsons, 1848. David B. Danforth, 1849. Austin Sexton, 1849. D. D. Dodge, 1850. John Avery, 1850. Lewis Rockwell, 1851. Abraham L. Lawyer, 1851. James Osterhout, 1852. Seymour Sornberger, 1852. Luman Reed, 1853. John Westover, 1853. Jacob J. Barton, 1854. James S. Wood, 1854. Joseph H. Ramsey, 1855. Wilkeson Willsey, 1855. John Lovett, 1856. Charles Holmes, 1856. Tobia Bouck, 1857. William H. Crowe, 1857. John H. Salisbury, 1858. William C. Lamont, 1859. do 1862. John W. Couchman, 1860. Joseph Buckbee, 1861. Stephen L. Mayham, 1863. Peter P. Schoolcraft, 1864. Edward Eldredge, 1865. Benjamin E. Smith, 1866. David Shaver,7 1867. William S. Clark,8 1867. do 1868. Peter R. Dyckman, 1869. Silas Sweet, 1870. do 1871. Peter Couchman, 1872. do 1873. John B. Hoag, 1874. John M. Roscoe, 1875. do 1876. James H. Brown, 1877. Charles Bouck, 1878. Duryea Beekman, 1879. R. Grant Havens, 1880. John J. Dominic, 1881. Edwin Hager, 1882.
William Beekman, 1798. do 1800. do 1801. do 1802. George Tiffany, 1803. do 1804. do 1805. do 1806. Jacob Gebhard, 1807. do 1808. do 1809. do 1810. Henry Hager, 1813. do 1814. do 1815. do 1816. Peter Swart, 1817. do 1818. do 1819. do 1820. William C. Bouck, 1821. do 1822. Jacob Sutherland, 1823. William Dietz, 1830. do 1831. do 1832. do 1833. Abraham L. Lawyer, 1835. do 1836. do 1837. do 1838. John C. Wright, 1843. do 1844. do 1845. do 1846. Sidney Tuttle, 1850. do 1851. Peter S. Danforth, 1854. do 1855. Joseph H. Ramsey, 1856. do 1857. do 1860. do 1862. do 1863. William C. Lamont, 1875. do 1876. do 1877. do 1878.
JUSTICE SUPREME COURT.
Peter S. Danforth, appointed September 24, 1872.
MEMBERS OF CONGRESS.
Peter Swart, elected 1807-'09. Alexander Boyd, do 1813-'15. Thomas Lawyer, do 1817-'19. John Gebhard, do 1821-'23. William Dietz, do 1825-'27. Peter I. Borst, do 1829-'31. Valentine Efner, do 1835-'37. Robert McClellan, do 1837-'39. Jacob Houck. Jun., do 1841-'43. Charles Goodyear, do 1845-'47. do do 1865-'67. Hiram Walden, do 1849-'51. Stephen L. Mayham, do 1869-'71.
Adam B. Vroman, appointed November 7, 1808, Madison's election.
Henry Becker, appointed November 8, 1816, Monroe's election.
Thomas Lawyer, appointed November, 1824, Adams' election.
William Dietz, elected November, 1832, Jackson's election.
Harvey Watson, elected November, 1840, Harrison's election
Daniel Larkin, elected November, 1848, Taylor's election.
Minard Harder, elected November, 1872, Grant's election.
John F. Hazleton, Consul to Italy, 1877 to 1881.
William H. Albro was born in Huntersland, in the town of Middleburgh, September 8, 1840. After attending the district school he finished his education at Fort Edward Institute and Union College. he studied law in the office of William H. Engle, and upon being admitted to the bar he settled in Middleburgh village. In 1878 he received the nomination upon the Republican ticket for School Commissioner in the eastern district, and was elected by a flattering majority although the district was democratic. Mr. Albro proved to be a faithful and judicious official in the discharge of his duties, and elevated the status of the schools under his charge.
As a lawyer he seems better adapted to the duties of a counselor and jurist than a pleader at the bar, as he lacks that confidence in self that is necessary to make a forcible and winning advocate. Mr. Albro is a well-read, sound and practical attorney, an unassuming and generous gentleman, and fully merits the confidence placed in him by a large circle of patrons.
Warren W. Allen has but just entered his professional course, having been admitted in May, 1881. mr. Allen was born in the town of Summit on the 4th day of November, 1850, and received his education at the "New York Conference Seminary," and entered the office of John S. Pinder, in 1877. Mr. Allen's close application to his studies and quick perception, assures us of his earnestness and success in gaining the confidence of the people.
Nathan L. F. Bachman was born at Butler's plantation, the family residence, near Kingsport, Tenn., April 3, 1848, of German parentage. During the late war he participated in the "lostcause" and came to New York in 1867. He was graduated as A. M., from Hamilton College in 1872, and the following year located at Schoharie as principal of the academy. In 1876 he was graduated from the Columbia College Law School as LL.D., and again located at Schoharie. Mr. Bachman was elected as Justice of the Peace in 1876, and gives evidence of possessing judicial abilities to a marked degree. He is a fluent speaker, and has taken a lively interest in political affairs during each campaign as a Democratic speaker, drawing large audiences and awakening a deep interest. But few are better qualified for official positions than the subject of this sketch.
Ralph Brewster has practiced law since 1839, and is the oldest member of the County bar. He is a lineal descendant of Elder William Brewster, who landed at Plymouth from the Mayflower in 1620, and was born in Berne, Albany county, N. Y., May 31, 1814. After receiving an academic education at Jefferson Academy, Clinton Institute, and Fairfield Academy, he entered Hamilton & Goodyear's law office, and was admitted to the bar as before stated in 1839. he located in Schoharie village in 1841, and was appointed County Treasurer by the Board of Supervisors in the fall of that year and each subsequent term until the Constitution of 1846 too effect, making the office an elective one. He was then elected (1848) as the first Treasurer chosen by the people direct, and held the office two terms, making a period of thirteen years in which he held the position and the confidence of the people in his ability and integrity. He also held the office of Inspector of Common Schools four years, Inspector of Election four years, Justice of the Peace twenty years, and Supervisor four terms, bestowed upon him, the duties of which he performed with such precision and profit to the people as to rank among the best officials of the country. As a lawyer, Mr. Brewster is very careful, and has drawn around him a large circle of clients engaged in the conveyance and settlement of estates, for which his ability seems peculiarly adapted. Not possessing oratorical powers or the gift of easy public speaking, it is seldom he is found in argument before the courts, but in council is considered one of the best in the County, and no one is sought more by the troubled than Mr. Brewster.
Cornelius L. Bailey was born in the town of Jefferson, in 1837, and attended the Jefferson Academy. He read law with Jacob Houck, Jun., and Nathan P. Hinman, of the firm of Houck & Hinman, at Schoharie C. H., and was admitted to practice in 1858. His practice has been in Schoharie and Albany counties and has been lucrative up to the year 1880, when he was appointed Deputy County Clerk, under Wm. B. Murphy.
Mr. Bailey is a careful business man, well-read, and has a clear conception of the principles of law, and has been successful in his pleadings.
Albert Baker, at present a resident of Cobleskill village, was born in the town of Berne, Albany county, in October, 1845. He attended the district school of tyhe neighborhood and taught a few years, when he entered the office of Folman & Bigham, of Albany City. he was admitted to the bar in 1866, and settled at Cobleskill. There being an opening at Sharon Springs he removed there in 1868, but soon after again removed to Cobleskill. Mr. Baker has held the office of Police Justice of the corporation, and also District Attorney of the County from 1871 to 1874, and is at present Secretary of the Board of Education of Cobleskill. In 1876 he formed a co-partnership with his brother under the name of "Baker Bros.," and the firm enjoys a lucrative business that promises a successful future.
Merritt A. Baker was born in the town of Berne, Albany county, on the 28th of February, 1855, and after attending the district school of the place entered Nassau Academy and Starkey Seminary, and in 1872 read law in the office of his brother, Albert. He was admitted in January, 1876, and immediately formed a co-partnership with his brother. In the fall of the latter year he was elected by the Board of Supervisors as clerk, and has held the position since, much to the satisfaction of that body and to the credit of their records.
Wm. H. Baldin, of Gilboa, was born in Greenville, Greene county,
in 1835. His parents soon after settled in the town of Conesville. After attending the
district school of the neighborhood he entered the Union Academy, of Harpersfield,
Delaware county, where he finished a course of practical studies and enetered the office
of Mattice & Winans, of Durham, to study law, which course he completed in
"Adams' office," Gloversville, in the summer of 1855. In the latter part of that
year he was admitted, and located in Gilboa village. Mr. Baldwin is a careful and
practical worker, and has won the confidence of the public through his honorableadvocacy
of law. That confidence was fully demonstrated in 1874, when the people elected him to the
office of District Attorney, which position he filled with marked ability and promptness
as a faithful guardian of law and order.
Lawrence W. Baxter was born in the town of Sharon on the 12th of January, 1852. His educational advantages were diligently improved to prepare himself for the bar. At an early age he attended the ClintonLiberal Institute, and graduated at the head of his class, with the first prize in oratory as a trophy of the event. He then entered Hamilton College, from which he graduated with distinguished honors in 1879, and again in 1880, from the Law School of that institution. Mr. Baxter located at Cobleskill where he is now practicing, and meets with a very flattering success. He is earnest in the professin he as chosen, careful in the execution of its requirements and honorable in its practice. he is a fluent speaker and ingenious reasoner, which, coupled with his known integrity in principle, places him in the front rank of te young members of the bar and gives us an assurance of his future success.
William S. Clark was the son of William Clark, a farmer of Carlisle, and was born in that town the 19th of August, 1826. He attended the district school until his fifteenth year, when he entered the Esperance Academy, from whence he went to Schoharie, and finally to Hamilton Academy, Madison county. Mr. Clark eneterd the Law School at Poughkeepsie, and afterwards the Law department at Union College, from which he was graduated as LL.D., and was admitted to practice in the State courts in February, 1858, and to the U. S. Court in 1864.
Upon the decease of Hon. David Shafer, in 1866, Mr. Clark was appointed to fill his place in the Assembly and was elected to that body the year following. He has held but few public positions, and to them he has brought honor and dignity as a scholar, gentleman, and honest man.
Upon the election of Wm. B. Murphy as County Clerk, Mr. Clark was honored as Clerk of the Courts, and has acted in that capacity at each subsequent session.
Added to his superior educational qualities, but few men possess that genuine spirit of kindness towards others that is daily shown by him, and which has gained for him the friendship of all.
Alonzo B. Coons was born in the town of Canajoharie, Montgomery county, on the 3d of September, 1841. After mastering the common English branches in the school of the neighborhood he entered Ames Academy and afterward the New York Conference Seminary, of Charlotteville.
In the spring of 1861, he commenced reading law in the office of J. H. Salisbury, at Sharon Springs, finished his studies in the office of L. H. Jackson, and was admitted to practice in May, 1863. He did not open an office until May of 1868, as he engaged in teaching school in which he was successful. During the latter year he located at Sharon Springs and was electd District Attorney in November, 1880, which official trust he fills with dignity and proves a faithful guardianj of law and order.
Peter S. Danforth was born in the village of Middleburgh in 1816, and studied law in the office of George Danforth, his father, and that of Marcus T. Reynolds, of Albany. He was admitted to the bar in May, 1840. Mr. Danforth has always possessed the confidence of his townsmen and held many official positions within their gift, chief among which was school commissioner - the first political position of his life. He was appoined Master and Examiner in Chancery in 1844, and elected District Attorney in 1845, and to the State Senate in 1854.
Upon the death of Henry Hogeboom, Judge of the Supreme Court, Mr. Danforth was appointed by Governor Hoffman to fill the vacancy. Beside the political and legal cares that Judge Danforth has had pressed upon him, he has taken a deep interest in religious affairs, and at present is the president of the County Bible Society, filling the position satisfactorily to the society, that his father-in-law, Rev. George A. Lintner, so long occupied. He has also been identified with the County Sabbath School Association since its organization. Mr. Danforth is a careful lawyer, fluentspeaker and politic reasoner.
George S. Danforth is a son of Hon. peter S. Danforth, and was born in the village of Middleburgh on the 19th of July, 1844. he attended the village schol and Schoharie Academy to master the elementary branches, and to prepare for college studied two years under John M. Scribner, Jr. he entered Rutger College, from which he was graduated in 1863, and immediately commenced the study of law in earnest in his father's office. However, he had been a student with that aim from his youth. He was admitted in1865 and located in his father's office.
Mr. Danforth is yet young in the profession, and brought to it a finished education and pride that carries him above low bickerings and the abuse of the true principles of law in employing them for such purposes. His success thus far has been very flattering as an attorney and counselor, and by the brotherhood he is held in high esteem for his gentlemanly bearing and as a genial, earnest co-worker.
William H. Engle was born in the town of Berne, Albany county, on the 23d of January, 1817. His educational advantages were mostly of the common schools, having attended the Knox Academy but a short time. He entered the office of Benoni Spafford, of Middleburgh, in 1840, and finished his studies in the office of J. J. Warner, of berne, in 1844, when he was admitted. He settled at Middleburgh (where he still resides) upon the death of Lawyer Spafford in 1845.
In November, 1847, he was elected District Attorney, it being thonly county office he has filled, from the fact that Mr. Engle's political sentiments are contrary to those of the majority of county electors. However, his fellow partisans have repeatedly honored him with nominations for various positions, and has been successful in making a "lively run." He received the appointment of deputy collector in the second division of the 14th U. S. Revenue district in April, 1868, and held the same to the year 1871. Upon the removal of Mr. Hazleton (who succeeded him) to Europe as Consul in 1878, Mr. Engle was again appointed to the position and still holds the same, making a thorough, careful and prompt official.
He enjoys the confidence of a large community in the settling of estates, and intricate cases arising from land grants and divisions for which his talents seem adapted. Having a partner in the office the firm is Engle & Stevens.
Henry C. Getter was born in Middleburgh on the 16th of June, 1855, and received a common school education. He entered the law office of Sanford & Thorne, in 187, to qualify himself for the bar to which he was admitted in the spring of 1881. having just started in the legal course, it is hard to determine his future success. Posessing an active mind and being well tutored in the mazes of the law, it but requires a close application to business and study to warrant a brilliant future.
George H. Hiller, of Cobleskill, is a son of the late ex-Assemblyman John F. Hiller, of Sharon, and was born in that town on the 13th of October, 1844. He attended the district school only and entered the office of the late William H. Young in 1872, and afterwards that of his brother-in-law, John S. Pindar.
Mr. Hiller was admitted to the bar in January, 1876, and established at once a reputation as an earnest student and reliable advocate, with a just aspiration to become proficient in his calling.
He is reserved and unassuming, a careful worker and logical reasoner, and we can but predict for him a successful career, as his increasing practice ensures the fact. Mr Hiller was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace in 1876 and again in 1880.
Chauncey W. Hinman, of Schoharie village, son of the late John Hinman, was born in Middleburgh, June 4, 1834. He received his education at the district school and upon the formation of the 134th Regiment of N. Y. S. V., he enlisted as Second Lieutenant and was soon promoted to First. He was in all the engagements in which the regiment participated up to the retreat of Hood, when he was taken prisoner and thrust in Andersonville prison. There he subsisted upon the scanty fare of one-fourth of a pint of corn meal and the same measure of beans, daily, with the exception of an occasional "mite" obtained from the guards or fellow-prisoners by bartering with small buckets which his ingenuity allowed him to manufacture with an old case-knife. After six months confinement, the war closed and Mr. Hinman was the last of several thousand, discharged from the prison field. Weak and emaciated he returned to his home unfit for laborious duties and entered his brother's law office in 1866, from which he was admitted to practice in 1868. He formed a co-partnership with his brother which was broken upon Nathan P. removing to Albany City in 1872. Mr. Hinman is a well read and practical lawyer with a sagacious perception of technical oints, and which he ingeniously outflanks his adversaries, and makes his practice a success. His "briefs" are drawn with care and precision denoting deep searching, earnestness and practical priciles of law.
Hon. Charles Holmes, was born in the town of Fulton, on the 26th day of March, 1826. He aerly attended the district school, and completed his studies at the time-honored Jefferson Academy. As many other young men of the country, struggling to gain an education, without the means to obtain it, he taught school and engaged in other employment to bear the necessary expenses, and became self-sustaining. In 1850 he entered the law office of the late Judge Lawyer, and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1853, and located in the village of Cobleskill.
The Democracy of the County elected him to the Assembly in the fall of 1855, where he bent his energies in behalf of he Susquehanna Railroad, and gave such promise of a legislator, that he was chosen as the party nominee for State Senator in 1858, against Joseph H. Ramsey, but the district being anti-democratic, his opponent was elected, but by a largely reduced majority. After his defeat, Mr. Holmes applied himself strictly to his profession, and gained as high status before the legal tribunals as any lawyer in Central New York. Upon the retirement of his townsman, Wm. C. Lamont, from the County Judgeship, in 1871, Mr. Holmes was elected to that position by an overwhelming majority, and re-elected in the fall of '78. The precision and ability with which he performed the duties of the offce, have placed him among the ablest jurists, and gained for him the reputation of being a practical, just and substantial defender of the law.
In the performance of his duties as Surrogate, no better satisfaction has been given than by Judge Holmes, in the settlement of estates, protection of orphans, and watchful care over others, whose affairs have been brought before him for adjustment.
Being an active and influential Democrat of the Jeffersonian school, he was placed upon the Democratic State Committee, by the Convention of 1881, and proves a sagacious politician.
Lewis C. Holmes, second son of Hon. Charles Holmes, was born in Cobleskill, in November, 1848, and was educated at the village school and studied law with his father. He was admitted to the bar in September, 1879. Upon the election of the father as Surrogate, Lewis was appointed Surrogate's Clerk, which position he still holds creditably to himself and faithful to the office. Mr. Holmes possesses a well balanced mind and promises to make an unassuming, methodical and substantial lawyer, that will win the confidence of all classes and add dignity to the profession.
Charles H. Holmes is the third son of Hon. Charles Holmes, and was born in the village of Cobleskill, December 25, 1852, and received his educion at the "Cobleskill Union School." He studied law in his father's office and was admitted in May, 1879, and located at Cobleskill. But just starting in his legal course, being chiefly engaged n office work, it is hardly possible to predict the mark Mr. Holmes will make in the legal race. If quick perception and gift of language will warrant success before the bar, it will be soon gained, as few are his equal even among those of more mature age and greater experience. By a strict application of his natural genius to argument and studious confidence of language, Mr. Holmes may stand as the "Harry Clay" of the young legal gentlemen of Schoharie.
Lyman Sanford Holmes is a son of Hon. Charles Holmes, and was born in Cobleskill in January, 1856. He attended the village school and prepared himself for Union College, from which he was graduated in 1878. After studying law in his father's office for a while he completed his studies in that of bemis & benton, of Hornellsville, N. Y., in November, 1880. He located in Chicago and soon after in New York City, but an opening being made in the office of Sanford & Thorne,of Middleburgh, by the decease of the former, Mr. Holmes formed a connection with Mr. Thorne in the spring of 1882. But few young men become more attached to their profession than mr. Holmes, and possessing a quick perception of e principles of jurisprudence and a steady judgement which, coupled with his nobler attributes of manhood that win friends among all classes, we cannot but predict a successful future for him.
John I. Jackson, of Gilboa, was born at Cairo, Greene county, N. Y., August 30, 1815, and settled with his parents in Gilboa, Schohari County, in 1823. he received a common school education and was early elected Justice of the Peace, which office he held fourteen years. During this official period he studied law in his own office and practiced in the Justice court until the 4th of September, 1855, when he was admitted to the Supreme bar. Mr. Jackson represented the town upon the board of Supervisors in 1866, and enjoys the confidence of a large community as a counselor and man of honor.
L. H. Jackson, of Sharon Springs, was born in the town of Summit, on the 4th of April, 1836, and attended the New York Conference Seminary of that town. After a classical course, he attended Prof. Fowler's law school at Poughkeepsie two years, and then entered the law office of John H. Salibury, in the fall of 1861, and was admitted in May of the following year. He located at the Spa, and continued in practice to the year 1879, when he removed to Binghamton, where he resided until April, 1881. Since that date, Mr. Jackson has again located at the Springs, where he meets with the old-time confidence that his earnest and diligent labors gained in the first years of his profession. He was appointed postmaste, in 1861, and held the position until his removal to Binghamton, when he resigned.
Krum & Grant,. - Hobart Krum, son of the late Judge Jonas Krum, and John B. Grant, a native of Blenheim, comprise the firm of Krum & Grant.
Hobart Krum stands at the head of the County bar. If nature ever makes a choice for a particular avocation, Mr. Krum was indeed chosen for the bar, as he is especially gifted with such abilities and pride as are necessary to make the profession a success. He has been from his first entrance into the law office the most studious in the principles of law, looking critically into the reason of every principle and their application to causes. While he makes no pretension to oratory, yet as a pleader he is successful and higly interesting. He places himself squarely upon equity, through ingenious reasoning, and arranges the facts of the case in the order of their legal value, and then arouses such earnestness as to be pleasing and forcibly effective, and if not to win the contest, leave a dubious impression as to the justness of the verdict. Mr. Krum was chosen as a delegate to the State Constitutional Convention of 1867, and was one of the leaders of that body of able men. He proved himself to be also a student of political economy in all its branches as his able arguments show, which gave him preeminence as a legislator, and to the citizens of the County a pride in their representative. Mr. Grant, although a comparatively a young man, with a tireless ndustry, shrewd perception and a mind well versed in jurisprudence, adds much to the firm's popularity, which has spread over many counties, and ensures a lucrative success that but few country firms attain.
Wm. C. Lamont. - It is seldom we find in the rushing, justling throng of legal aspirants, so unassuming a man that has made a more prominent and pleasing mark, than the subject of this sketch. Mr. Lamont was born in Charlotteville, on the 25th of November, 1827, and obtained a practical education at the time-honored academies at Schoharie and Jefferson, from whence he entered the law office of Abraham Becker, of South Worcester, Otsego Co.
Being admitted to practice in due course of time, he settled at his nayive village, and by assiduous industry, he established a reputation as a careful and successful lawyer.
In 1859, he was elected to the Assembly, and served upon the judiciary committee, and made, as usual, a very creditable record. His energies were bent in behalf of the bill then pending for State aid in the construction of the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad, and his arguments in that issue were marked with plain, forcible reasoning, and awoke a brighter hope for the passage of the bill, and final consummation of the enterprise. His practice becoming more extended, he removed to Richmondville, and in the fall of 1863, was elected County Judge, which office he held to January, 1872. Removing to Cobleskill village, his legal business increased, and he became one of the leaders of the County bar. In 1875 he was elected to the State Senate, and served upon the following committees: - Roads and Bridges, Erection and Division of Towns and Counties, also Manufacture. Whatever position Mr. Lamont has filled, his labors have been earnest to perform his duties faithfully and profitably to his constituents.
Watson Lamont, is a brother of ex-Judge Lamont, and was born in the town of Middleburgh, on the 13th of July, 1852. He received his educational advantages at the "New York Conference" and "Starkey" seminaries and settled at Cobleskill village in 1869. In November, 1871, he entered the office of his brother and received his certificate to practice in the State Courts in January, 1876. He has held the office of police justice two years and is now acting upon the second term of town justice of the peace. Mr. Lamont's close application to study and quick perception of legal points and technicalities have earned for him a business that bids fair to increase with his years and place him in the front rank of his profession.
John H. Mattice was the son of Zachariah Mattice, of Middleburgh, and was born April 1, 1839. he attended the district school and fitted himself for teaching, which he followed for seven years when he learned the shoemaker's trade, and studied law at his boarding place nights and while working on the bench. Through a long, but earnest period of study, he was admitted to the bar on the 9th of December, 1869, and settled at Livingstonville, where he enjoys a lucrative practice.
Mr. Mattice is a self-made man, having been forced to work his way through life, unaided, except by an untiring will. He represented the town upon the Board of Supervisors in 1877, creditably to himself and profitably to the people. But few men possess the love of study as does Mr. Mattice, and where labor is not spared in the application of knowledge obtained, pleasing results will inevitably follow. The industry, earnestness and ambition of the subject of this sketch, can but lead us to predict for him a bright and prosperous future.
Stephen L. Mayham was born in the town of Blenheim, on the 8th of October, 1825, and after attending the district school of the neighborhood he studiously prepared himself for teaching, the avails of which were judiciously applied for an academic education. Following the natural bent of his mind, he entered the office of Love & Frear, of Ithaca, there studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1848. He located at North Blenheim village, and after a few years formed a connection with lawyer George Dier, under the name of Mayham & Dier. While here Mr. Mayham gained a fine practice, and solidified the confidence of his boyhood neighbors and friends in his honesty as a man and ability as a lawyer, which placed hijm high in their estimation, where he still stands. Four times he was representative in the Board of Supervisors, and was honored by the people of the County with the election of District Attorney in 1859, and that of Assemblyman in 1863. Removing to Schoharie C. H. in 1865, his practice became extended and he soon formed a co-partnership with Hobart Krum, under the name of Krum & Mayham, which connection made the most impregnable firm in Central New York, and was so considered by the courts. Upon Mr. Mayham's son being admitted, the firm of Krum & Mayham was dissolved, and one was formed by the father and son as S. L. & F. M. Mayham, as now existing. Mr. Mayham's popularity and ability drew the choice of the Congressional Convention of 1869 to the the nomination of him to the Forty-first Congress, which was ratified by the people in a large majority for the district, which comprised Albany and Schoharie counties. He served upon the Committee of Expenditures of the State Department, that of the District of Columbia, and that of sub-committee of the whole, in the Forty-fifth Congress, to which he was elected by a flattering majority of the electors of Schoharie, Greene and Ulster counties in the fall of 1874, to which position a re-election was proffered by the latter counties, but Mr. Mayham's declination for the opportunities of others, retired him from Congressional duties in 1879. He identified himself with the educational interests of Schoharie upon his removal there, and is one of the leading props of the time-honored Schoharie Academy, as well as all other local and public enterprises. Mr. Mayham is a bold, yet not forward or hazardous advocate and a practical thinker, and one whose appearance upon the rostrum at once demands the respect and confidence of his auditors, while his fluency, and plain, unpretending language impress without weariness.
F. L. Mayham is a son of Stephen L. Mayham, and was born in North Blenheim on the 21st of August, 1850. Acquiring the first rudiments of a practical education at that village school, he entered the Roxbury Academy and finished an academic course at Schoharie. He commenced reading law in the office of Mayham & Krum in 1868, and was admitted September 5, 1871, and shortly after the dissolution of the firm of Mayham & Krum occurred when that of S. L. & F. M. Mayham was formed, and is a leading one of the County. Mr. Mayham is a well-read young lawyer, having taken hold of the task with a natural taste, and in counsel proves that the deep principles of jurisprudence have been his study, which are ingeniously brought to practice in his briefs and pleadings without being marred with irrelevency and sarcasm.
John S. Pindar, now of Cobleskill, was born in the town of Sharon in 1835. After attending the ditrict school he enetered the "Richmondville Literary Institute" in 1853, and upon the closing of the school returned to the farm. In 1862 he entered the law office of Ramsey & Young, and was admitted to the State courts in 1865, and that of the United States in 1872. Mr. Pindar has practiced continually since 1867, and was the first Police Justice in the corporation of Cobleskill. He was chosen chairman of the Democratic County Committee in 1877, and still holds that position creditably to himself and satisfactorily to the party. Mr. Pindar is known as one of the hardest legal workers in the County which has gained for him a successful business.
O. C. Stevens, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Greenville, Greene county, and was born on the 30th of August, 1850. He early attended the Greenville Academy and closed his educational advantages at Hamilton College, but not as a graduate. In 1869 he entered the law office of Sanford & Thorne, and was admitted in the spring of 1872. He formed a connection with William E. Leet, then District Attorney of Greene county, which continued about two years, when he withdrew and became a partner of his father-in-law, Wm. H. Engle, with whom he is at the present time. Mr. Stevens is a well-read professional and genial gentleman, and possesses the confidence of those with whom he mingles as a most honorable and earnest worker.
E. L. Snyder, of Richmondville, is a graduate of Union College of the class of 1861, and was born in Columbia county, N. Y., on the 19th of June, 1839. Mr. Snyder studied law with M. H. Dorr, of Hillsdale, Columbia county, and was admitted to the bar at Albany, May 5, 1864. He located at Richmondville, and as a mark of confidence the people have in his ability and integrity they elected him to the office of Justice of the Peace in the spring of 1881. His superior education, gentlemanly bearing and studious application to business, have drawn around him a host of friends, and given to him a very flattering practice.
Frank Snyder was born in the village of Middleburgh on the 13th of January, 1855. His educational advantages were of the village school and at the Wainwright Institute. he studied law in the office of Peter S. Danforth, and was admitted as counselor in 1878, and as attorney and counselor in the year following. By the request of his legal tutor he located in his office, and the success with which he meets in legal business is highly creditable to himself as a lawyer and the office from which he was admitted.
Wilfred P. Thomas was born in Albany, N. Y., March 24, 1856, and fitted himself for college at the Schoharie Academy. He graduated from Union College in 1872, and that year entered the law office of Mayham & Krum from which he entered that of James F. Crawford, of Cohoes, N. Y., and finished his studies. He was admitted in April, 1876, and located at Schoharie village, where he is now in practice in company with Chauncey W. Hinman. Mr. Thomas has worked up a flattering practice, and coming to the profession with a fine education and a desire to succeed, he can but be successful.
Wm. E. Thorpe was born at Athens, Greene county, on the 21st of July, 1840. He attended the district school and Knox Academy, and afterwards studied mathematics and the languages with Dr. Charles Abrams, of Hyndsville. After teaching school a few years, he entered the law office of S. L. Mayham, then of Blenheim, (1863) and removed with that gentleman to Schoharie in the spring of 1865, and was admitted in December of that year.
On the 1st day of January, 1866, he formed a co-partnership with Lyman Sanford, of Middleburgh, which continued until the decrease of that gentleman. In 1877, he was elected District Attorney and proved an able official. The firm's business was extensive, especially as relates to the settlement of estates, for which no firm enjoyed a better, and but few an equal, reputation.
John Van Schaick was born in the town of Sharon, on the 29th day of July, 1840. After an elementary course in the district school he attended Williams College. Like most farmer's sons that are ambitious to obtain an education, he did so by teaching school a portion of the year. He studied in the office of John H. Salisbury while located at Sharon Springs, and afterwards in that of Wm. H. Youngs, and after passing a course at the Albany law school he was admitted in 1864. Counselor Van Schaick was elected to the office of School Commissioner in the second district in 1871, and re-elected in 1874. He established an office at Cobleskill after his admittance, where he still continues and receives his share of the public patronage in legal affairs.
Le Grand Van Tuyl is a young man who has but just stepped upon the legal path and his future honor or disgrace depend upon the bent of his moral qualities and not his intellectual, as of the latter, nature has blessed him exceedingly, which he has wisely chosen to direct and support him through his legal adventure. May he prove one with firm stability of purpose. He is the son of isaac Van Tuyl, of Schoharie, and was born in that town on the 9th of April, 1857. He received a thorough Academic education at the Schoharie academy and entered the law office of Krum & Grant, from which he was admitted in January, 1881. He was elected School Commissioner of the second district in the fall of 1881 without opposition, and located in the village of North Blenheim.
Moses S. Wilcox, of Jefferson village, is a native of Harpersfield, Delaware county, and was born in that town in March, 1836, and received an academic education at the Harpersfield Academy, from which he emerged as a school teacher. For two years while thus employed he read law and enetered the office of Abraham Becker, of South Worcester in 1858, and was admitted in May, 1860. In the fall of that year he formed a co-partnership with Robert Parker, and located at Delhi, and remained so connected until 1865 when he returned to his father's farm, and spent two years in agricultural pursuits.
At the expiration of that time, he located at Jefferson, where he still resides and enjoys a flattering practice through his earnest and practical labors, and the confidence of the people in his ability and integrity.
Regardless of his legal taste, we find Mr. Wilcox interests himself in agriculture and the breeding of superior stock for which he has become noted among the practical farmers of the country. Mr. Wilcox is well read, and keeps up with the times, and does not, as is too often the case, after a few years practice, settle down to fogyism without an effort to advance. he is an easy and plain speaker, sound and apt reasoner, which, coupled with his honest fervency, holds attention in his arguments, and gives a pleasing satisfaction to his listeners.
Isaac W. Winne. - Mr. Winne was born in the town of Sharon, March 29, 1834, and is the son of Francis Winne, whose father moved from Albany county and settled in the town of Cherry Valley, in the fore part of the century. After attending the district school, he entered the "Ames Academy" from which he returned to the homestead and engaged in agricultural pursuits, until the spring of 1871, when he commenced studying law in the office of Albert Baker, then located at Shoron Springs. Mr. Winne was admitted to practice in June, 1875, and at once located at Rockville, where he still remains, enjoying a flattering practice.
End of Chapter VI
Welcome Page of the Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site