Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site
by Laura Westfall, Town Historian
The Town of Wright was first settled in 1735 by the Jacob Becker family. Johannus Becker built the present stone house in 1772. A band of Tories and Indians attacked the house July 26, 1782, but it was successfully defended. Today the Becker stone house is the location of a popular community event called the "Gas-up", a gas engine demonstration held annually in June.
The Town of Wright was founded in 1846 from parts of the town of Schoharie, it was named for Acting Governor Silas Wright. Although it is a very small community, town of Wright today has three active churches within the township and a very up-to-date fire fighting organization. There are various clubs such as; the Wright Senior Citizen organization, 4-H, political clubs and the Lions Club, that are meeting the needs of the residents.
The village of Gallupville, within the Town, derived it's name for the Gallup family who purchased the land and started a grist mill ca. 1819. The Gallupville House, a former hotel and tavern, has been developed into a Community Center. A park and a tennis court have been established by the town's Lions Club. A nature preserve has been opened as well.
A planning board and zoning board are looking to the future as the Town of Wright continues to progress.
Welcome Page of the Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site