In October of 1871, Miss Mary L. Drake, a guest at Cole's Hotel, Kidders Ferry, N. Y., began the first movement toward the erection of a church edifice at this place of summer resort. Mr. Myron R. Cole offered a lot for the site and Mr. Peter Fish aided the undertaking by contributing one hundred dollars to the building fund. The first money actually paid in to the treasury was given by Mr. P. H. Drake of New York. The amount was one dollar and a half. The collection offerings was continued through several years and, in 1878, the Rev. J. Everist Cathell, at that time rector of Calvary church, Northville, strengthened and widened the interest in the work. On the 11th day of August in that year, he held the first service in connection with the movement, in the grove in front of Cole's Hotel, upon the shore of the lake. For two or three summers during the period of his subsequent rectorship at Trumansburg, Mr. Cathell held occasional services at Kidders Ferry and at the Cayuga Lake House.
On the 17th day of August, 1880, the corner stone of the chapel was laid by the Rev. William T. Gibson, D. D., rector of St. George's church, Utica. On this occasion there were present of the clergy the Rev. Drs. Ayrault, Gibson, and VanRensselaer, and the Rev. Messrs. Cathell, Bishop, McNish, Rice, Hubbard, Casey, Nicholson and Wallace. The congregation numbered nearly three hundred. The address was delivered by the Rev. Dr. Ayrault, who was followed in words of congratulation and encouragement to the friends of "All Saints Chapel," by the Rev. Mr. Cathell and by Mr. William Bogart of Aurora. The offering in behalf of the building fund amounted to $35. The corner stone contained a copy of the Holy Bible, a book of Common Prayer, a church hymnal, a journal of the diocesan convention, a list of the contributing friends of the chapel, some church papers and a few other memorials.
The plans and specifications for the building were made and presented by Mr. E. B. Green of Auburn. A contract for its erection at an expense of $1,500 was made with Mr. John King of Farmer Village. The church furniture and windows, the baptismal font and sundry miler articles necessary to give completeness to the building were special gifts. The altar was given in memory of Mrs. Elmira A. Sage Dunham. The chancel windows, representing Christ in glory with saints in adoration, were presented by Mr. Hamilton of Fond du Lac, in memory of his wife. The font was paid for by the offerings of little children. The organ was the gift of Mrs. A. C. Taylor and other friends of the chapel. St. John's church, Ithaca, gave the prayer desks and the Bishop's chair. The Sunday school of Christ church, Oswego, gave the lectern and altar rail. The Bible was given by Mr. Spence Spencer of Ithaca. The altar cross was a memorial of Catharine A. R. S. Beach and the book rest, of Maria Grant Drake. The silver chalice and paten were presented by friends and relatives as a memorial of Sister Amelia. The total estimated cost of the building and furniture was $2,600.
During the summer of 1881, while the chapel was yet in an unfinished state, divine service was held in it on five occasions, first by Myron R. Cole-man of Kidder's Ferry, and subsequently by Mr. Tenny of New York, Profess-ors Crane and Williams of Cornell University and Mr. Wm. Stacy of Geneva. On the 25th of June, 1882, the Rev J. E. Cathell officiated. From that time until Oct. 1st of the same year, Mr. Montgomery Goodwin said evening prayer regularly every Sunday. On the 29th day of September, 1882, being the feast of St. Michael and All Angels, All Saints Chapel was solemnly consecrated to the worship of Almighty god by the Rt. Rev. F. D. Huntington, D. D., Bishop of Central New York.