Harsey King, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Ovid, N. Y., was born in Ulysses, Tompkins county, N. Y., August 16, 1849. His father Rev. Asaph King, was for many years a highly esteemed local preacher in the M. E. church. The early life of the subject of this sketch was passed on the farm of his father, his education was received in the schools of the county, at the age of thirteen in a revival then being held at Jacksonville, he was converted and united with the church of that place and felt called to preach the gospel. At the age of twenty-one he was married and soon after purchased a farm near the home of his childhood and settled down to the life and work of his choice
.       The next ten years brought great changes, the happy home was broken up by death and the cherished plans interrupted and destroyed, the old Call was renewed with a force and power not to be evaded. After careful study and preparation, he was admitted on trial at the Central New York Conference of 1883, and at the end of two more years of study and work under the direction of the conference, he received his first ordination as a deacon at the hands of Bishop S. M. Merrill, and two years later that of elder by Bishop John F. Hurst.
The first charge to which he was assigned was Caton, Steuben county, N.Y., where he remained the full term allowed by the law of the church. His next charge was Mainesburg, Pa., where two happy, prosperous years were spent. The necessity of being often with his father, whose years and in-firmities were increasing, led to his removal to Van Etten, from which easy access could be had to the old home. The next removal was to Havana, now known as Montour Falls, where he remained for four years. In the fall of 1894 he was appointed pastor at Ovid. Mr. King has one child, a son, now a student at Cazenovia, N.Y.