Steuben County, New York
Compiled by: Millard F. Roberts
|John Single Paper Company, Ltd., Syracuse, N.Y., 1891|
This was typed and contributed by Gloria Banks Kirkwood
HORNBY - page 344
"Was formed from the old town of Painted Post, --now Corning-- January 27, 1826. The town of Campbell was taken off in 1831, and a portion was annexed to Orange, now in Schuyler county, April 11, 1842. It lies near the centre of the east border of the county, bounded north by Schuyler county, east by a portion of Schuyler and Chemung counties, south by Corning and west by Campbell. The town was named in honor of John Hornby an eminent English land holder, who with other English capitalists purchased that tract since known as the "Pulteney estate".
The surface of the town is high and rolling, intersected by deep, narrow valleys, chiefly formed by Dry Run, and Post and Bordin - (Borden) creeks. The first of these streams flows through the northwest part of the town, and joining Meads creek in Campbell, empties into the Conhocton in the township of Erwin. Post and Borden creeks empty into the Chemung river. The soil is of superior quality, being of clayey and shaley loam. The population of this town in 1890, was 1,011."
Duvall Cemetery - (hb1)
Hill Top or Irish Cemetery - (hb2) (9/20)
Central Valley Cemetery - (hb3) (12/5)
Whitney Cemetery - (hb4)
West Hill Cemetery - (hb5)
Goodsell Cemetery - (hb6)
Oldfield - Ferenbaugh Cemetery - (hb7) (10/20)
Nash Cemetery - (hb8)
Cook Cemetery - (hb9)
Fero Cemetery - (hb10)
Rhoda Cemetery - (hb11)
Smith Cemetery - (hb12)
St. John Cemetery - (hb13) (9/30)
Other Hornby links:
You are our18229 visitor to visit this page thanks for stopping by!
Last modified Tuesday, 28-Aug-2001 14:21:09 MDT