Steuben County, New York
Compiled by: Millard F. Roberts
|John Single Paper Company, Ltd., Syracuse, N.Y., 1891|
This was typed and contributed by Gloria Banks Kirkwood
WEST UNION - pgs 560 & 561
"Is situated in the southeast corner of the county. It was formed from Greenwood, April 25, 1845. The petition that was circulated for the erection of this town, petitioned for the formation of a town to be called Green; but it was referred back to the petitioners with the information that there was already a township of that name in this state, in Chenango county. They then changed it to Union, which was also objectionable for the same reason, there being a town of that name in Broome county. The word West was then prefixed, and the bill passed.
The surface of the town of West Union is a broken and hilly upland, and its highest summits are from two thousand to two thousand, four hundred feet above tide-water. Bennett's creek is the principal stream, which flows north through the town near its centre.
The population of West Union in 1890 was 1,159."
West Union Cemetery - (wu1) (1/4/2000)
Old Catholic Cemetery - (wu2)
Hauber Cemetery - (wu3)
New Catholic Cemetery - (wu4)
Davis Cemetery - (wu5)
Kelly Cemetery - (wu6) (1/4/2000)
Mennonite Cemetery - (wu7) (1/4/2000)
Other West Union links:
1891 West Union Directory - Millard F. Roberts  (4/25/02)
You are our 15274 visitor to visit this page thanks for stopping by!
Last modified Thursday, 25-Apr-2002 19:08:39 MDT
Judy Allen Cwiklinski Steuben Co., NY GenWeb coordinator 1999-2002 ©