Sullivan County
writeup from Barber
     
QUICK - JUMPS
to Nav Bar below

NYGenWeb
    © A FREE NYGenWeb site!
Click HERE to break out
of a framing site


 

SULLIVAN COUNTY.

SULLIVAN COUNTY was erected in March, 1809, from Ulster county, and received its name in honor of General Sullivan, an officer of the revolutionary army. It is centrally distant from New York about 100 miles NW., and, by the routes usually travelled, 112 SW. of Albany Greatest length NW. and SE. 45, and greatest breadth NE. and SW 37 miles. The county of Sullivan is situated on the Delaware river, W. of Ulster county, in a region of broken land. It contains a large proportion of mountainous country. The Newburg and Cochecton turnpike runs centrally and westerly across the county; and on this road and the Delaware river are the principal settlements. The New York and Erie railroad runs through the southern portion. The northern part is the wildest and least settled. The Delaware and Hudson canal passes through the valley of Bashe’s kill into Orange, and returns from that county by the valley of the Delaware, along which it extends in this county about 15 miles, to the dam opposite the Laxawaxen river. The country along the Delaware is not favorable for agriculture; generally the highlands are preferred for cultivation, being more dry, and productive of finer grass than the valleys, which are commonly wet and cold. Upon the Delaware, and the streams which flow into it, the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in lumbering. With the exception of a small tract on the southeast, in the Minisink patent, the whole county was covered by the Hardenburg patent, under which there are now some extensive landholders. The inhabitants are chiefly of Dutch and New England descent. About one-tenth of the county only is improved. It is divided into 10 towns:

Bethel, Forrestburg, Mamakating, Thompson.
Cochecton, Liberty, Neversink,
Fallsburg, Lumberland, Rockland,

Monticello, the county seat, on the Newburg and Cochecton turnpike, named after Jefferson’s residence, was founded in 1804, by Messrs. Samuel F. and J. P. Jones, from New Lebanon, Columbia county, who were proprietors of most of the lands in the vicinity Judge Platt Pelton built the second frame house here in 1806. The village was incorporated in 1830, and consists of the county build ings, 2 churches, and about 60 dwellings, distant 38 miles from Newburg, and 110 from Albany. Bloomingburg, 23 miles W. of New burg, was incorporated in 1833, and consists of about 75 dwellings, 2 churches, and an academy.



Source information: " Historical collections of the state of New York " by John Warner Barber, published by Clark, Austin and Co. NY, 1851, page 337


  If you have any suggestions, please e-mail   Webmaster Tim

Created June 30, 2002

Monday, 09-May-2005 11:38:19 MDT

Thanks for Stopping By!




© 2002       All
Rights Reserved
    Hosted by RootsWeb           Part of NYGenWeb            
 



Search the Sullivan County NYGenWeb site



Home       Source data       Submitted Info       Military       Geographic data

Volunteer / Subm Page       Query front end       Query Entry       GenWeb page