brewing of beer in Troy, it would seem, began as early
as 1793, in a brewery belonging to Colonel Stephen J.
Schuyler. The first established of the nine now in the
city is that of Kennedy & Murphy, on Ferry Street,
east of Fifth Avenue. On a part of its site Charles Hurstfield
and Thomas Trenor erected a small brewery in 1809. In
1823, Read & Armstrong purchased the property. Their
successors were Read, Armstrong, & Co., 1832; Read
& Son, 1837; M. P. Read & Brothers, 1841; Read
& Brothers, 1847; Arba Read, 1856; Read Brothers,
1857; Dunn & Kennedy, 1867; and Kennedy & Murphy
(William Kennedy and Edward Murphy, jr.), Novembr 1st,
1867. The extensive brick buildings of the Excelsior Brewery,
on the south of Ferry Street, are fitted with all the
modern inventions and conveniences for malting and brewing
ale and porter.
Garryowen Brewery, on the west side of River Street, between
Hutton and Hoosick streets, covers nine building lots.
The malt-house and the brewery-house, two imposing brick
structures, six stories high, were severally buillt in
1877 and 1881. Each is provided with the latest improved
machinery and apparatus for making ale and porter.
firm of Fitzgerald Brothers was formed on October 1st,
1866, by Michael, John and Edmund Fitzgerrald. On the
withdrawel of Michael in 1870, John and Edmund continued
the business. Since the death of John in 1885, Edmund
has conducted it under the name of Fitzgerald Brothers.
The firm's predecessors were James Lundy, who, in 1852,
began brewing at No. 461 River Street; Lundy & Ingram,
1853; Lundy & Kennedy, 1855; Lundy, Dunn & Co.,
1857; Dunn & Kennedy, 1859. Four of the nine breweries
brew ale and porter, and the others lager beer. The total
product of 1890 was 205,232 barrels of ale, porter, and