Projects

Church Memorials & Family Names

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
Third & Washington Streets
Troy, New York

Stained Glass Window - St. Patrick Teaching The Irish King

The Rev. Peter Havermans, in charge of St. Peter’s Church, wanted to provide the Irish people residing in the southern part of the city with a convenient building in which to engage in religious services. In 1843 he obtained the sanction of Bishop Hughes to collect moneys to build a church there. On May 27th, 1843 the trustees of St. Peter’s Church purchased the lot on the north-east corner of Third and Washington streets, on which shortly afterward the erection of St. Mary’s Church begun. On June 29th, 1843, the Very Rev. John Powers, vicar-general of New York, laid the corner-stone of the brick edifice and on June 3, 1844 the church was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Bishop McCloskey.

In October 1897, the new pastor of St. Mary’s, the Rev. Dr. John F. Lowery, saw a need for a larger house of worship. The last mass in the old St. Mary’s church was celebrated in June 1898 and during construction of the new church, mass was celebrated in a temporary edifice erected on the site of the school building which is now an apartment building.

The cornerstone of the imposing present church building was laid on Sunday , May 27, 1900 by the Rt. Reverend Thomas M. A. Burke, Bishop of Albany who also presided at the dedication on Sunday, May 8, 1904.

After 167 years of service to the community, St. Mary’s Church was permanently closed on Sunday, June 6, 2010.

The following Memorial Names that were found in the church were
transcribed by TIGS volunteer Kathleen Gallagher Brearton.

LIST OF NAMES

      NAME

   MEMORIAL

    LOCATION

INSCRIPTION

CHURCH

  STATUS

Inwood, George

Large stained glass window of Jesus as an adult holding a lamb

Right side rear

Gift of George Inwood

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

Kelly, Edward

Large stained glass window-Holy Family

Left side rear

  In memory of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Kelly

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

Kern, James

Large stained glass window-Nativity of Christ - 4 smaller windows underneath four Evangelists-Matthew, Mark, Luke & John

Right side center

James Kern Gift of wife & mother

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

Mullin, Sarah

Large stained glass window-St. Margaret Mary & Sacred Heart-4 smaller windows underneath without inscriptions

Left side center

  In memory of Sarah Mullin

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

O'Neil, Edward

Large stained glass window-Jesus blessing children

Left side front

Edward & Mary O'Neil

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

O'Neil, Mary

Large stained glass window-Jesus blessing children

Left side front

Edward & Mary O'Neil

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

Stanton, John

Large stained glass window-St. Patrick teaching Irish King

Right side front

Gift of John Stanton

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

Stanton, John

Lighting fixtures of the church

Plaque in rear vestibule

Gift of John Stanton - In  memory of his father & mother

St. Mary's, Troy

     Closed June 6, 2010

If anyone is interested in helping on a similar project,

contact Bill McGrath at:  seamus@nycap.rr.com

To report problems with this site please contact the TIGS webmaster
at jkeefe@nycap.rr.com

Back                                                                                              Home