Projects

 

TIGS Monthly Meeting Notes
July 2005

These notes were taken and transcribed by TIGS Member Kathleen Brearton and
originally distributed through the TIGS mailing list.

 

The regular monthly meeting of the Troy Irish Genealogy Society was held on Thursday, July 21, 2005, at Troy City Hall. The following individuals were in attendance:

Kay Brearton
Jeanne Keefe
Bill McGrath
Cathy McGrath
Pat Plunkett
Eileen Shea
Rick Shea
Lizette Strait
Donna K. Vaughn

The meeting was called to order at 6:35 p.m. by Donna Vaughn, President. Donna welcomed Pat Plunkett to the group.

A motion was made by Jeanne Keefe and seconded by Donna Vaughn to approve the minutes of the June 16, 2005 meeting. The motion passed.

 

REPORTS

Donna Vaughn thanked everyone for their participation in TIGS and their work for the organization.

Rick Shea, Treasurer, reported that there are currently seventeen (17) paid members. At Donna’s suggestion, Rick will put information regarding the amount of the dues on the website. A checking account has been established and the funds deposited. Donna Vaughn will be added as a signatory to the account.

Webmaster, Jeanne Keefe, reported that several people have sent further information to add to their submissions to the surname list on the website.

Lizette Strait reported there are currently 107 individuals subscribed to the TIGS List; 107 in “L” mode and seven in Digest mode.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Jeanne Keefe purchased a scanner which she will loan to TIGS for use in scanning the marriage records stored at the Rensselaer County Clerk’s Office. When she returns from a business trip next week, she will set up a training date for volunteers who have agreed to help scan the records.

Bill McGrath provided an update on the city directory project. Volunteers are currently up to the M’s and the project is progressing well.

Efforts are still being made to find out how to go about archiving TIGS records. It was noted that when archiving is set up, members of the list will be informed since it will be possible to “Google” that information.

As more information is added to the TIGS website it will be necessary to come up with an easier way to navigate the site. Jeanne Keefe will look into changing the setup so that the information on the site will be easier to locate.

Lizette Strait distributed a draft copy of a bio for the organization. After some discussion among the members, Lizette agreed to set up the bio and an application form in a tri-fold setup.

Notices of the meeting appeared in the Record and in the Times Union. Arrangements have been made to have the notices appear each month. Placing the notices in the PennySaver, the Advertiser and the Schenectady Gazette will be researched. It was also suggested that articles about the organization be submitted to some of these publications and that media contacts be made.

Mimi Nicotina was unable to attend the meeting. She sent a message to Donna Vaughn regarding speakers for future meetings. She noted that some of the people she contacted require that a minimum number of 20-25 people be present. The members discussed ways of drawing an audience and possible speakers. Tom Carroll is an excellent speaker; however, many people have already been on tours and lectures that he has conducted. Ruth Sweet from the Troy Public Library was mentioned as a possible speaker. If she agrees, the meeting might be set up at the Library. Donna Vaughn will share the information from the meeting with Mimi Nicotina.

 Donna Vaughn shared a note included with a dues payment from a member of the list from out of town expressing his appreciation for information he had learned about his family from the TIGS website.

Members were reminded that they are welcome to bring information to the meetings to share with the other members. An open forum will be scheduled at the end of each monthly meeting to provide an opportunity for members to request help from each other in their genealogy research.

 

NEW BUSINESS

A notice inviting agenda items for future meetings will be posted to the website. Next month’s meeting will be held at the McGrath residence in a potluck format.

 

ADJOURNMENT

A motion was made by Cathy McGrath and seconded by Donna Vaughn to adjourn the meeting. The motion was approved and the meeting was adjourned at 7:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Kathleen Brearton, Secretary

To report problems with this site please contact the TIGS webmaster
at jkeefe@nycap.rr.com

Back                                                                                                  Home