The site of the Troy Savings Bank, on
the north-east corner of Second and State streets, was
purchased by the managers of the institution in February
and March 1870; a part of the property being then in possession
of the bank. The work of laying the foundation of the
massive structure was begun on July 8th, 1871. The building
was completed in the spring of 1875. It has a frontage
of one hundred feet on Second Street, and extends eastwardly
to the alley one hundred and thirty. The finely embellished
and furnished banking room is thirty feet wide and seventy
The spacious auditory, known as Music
Hall, in the upper part of the building, has a height
of sixty feet, a width of sixth-nine, and a depth of one
hundred and six, including the stage and organ platform.
The sittings on the first floor and those on the two galleries
and in the twelve boxes on each side of the auditory are
accessible from lateral corridors, twelve feet wide. The
sittings are about twelve hundred and fifty in number.
The frescoes are highly artistic. A magnificent chandelier,
having two hundred and sixty gas-burners, descends from
the center of the high ceiling.
About $450,000 of the accumulated earnings
of the bank were expended in purchasing the site, in erecting
and furnishing the building. On March 24th, 1875, the
bank occupied the building. Music Hall was dedicated on
Monday night, April19th, that year, by Theodore Thomas,
with a grand concert of orchestral and vocal music.
On October 1st, 1890, the deposits of
the bank amounted to $5,222,424.
The large concert organ, forty-two feet
wide and thirty high, built by J. H. & C. S. Odell,
of New York City, was placed in the hall in October 1890.
Note: Music Hall is world renowned for
its exceptional acoustics.