Projects
 

 

TROY YOUNG WOMEN'S ASSOCIATION

Excerpted from the book
Troy's One Hundred Years 1789-1889
Published in 1891 by  William H. Young, 7 and 9 First Street, Troy, NY

The Young Women's Association of the city of Troy, organized in January, 1883, occupied rooms in the Keenan building until 1884, when several on the upper floors of the Manufacturers' Bank building were rented. On the incorporation of the association on June 10th, 1885, the three-story brick building No. 43 Fourth Street, was purchased and fitted for the institution, having for its object the amelioration of the condition and the promotion of the interests of such young women as desire a proper and convenient place to pass leisure hours and to improve themselves by attending evening courses of instruction and by reading books provided for them there.

Free instruction is given by the association in spelling, penmanship, arithmetic, grammar, bookkeeping, stenography, typewriting, music, millinery, dressmaking and embroidery. The erection of a larger and more convenient building on the lot north of the one on the north-west corner of Second and State streets, projected by the association in the early part the year 1891, is apparently assured by the generous subscriptions already made by the citizens. The officers are Mrs. Charles E. Patterson, president; Miss Sarah Willard, Mrs. William A. Thompson, Mrs. George B. Cluett and Mrs. R. H. McClellan, vice presidents; Miss Helen Ford and Mrs. A. G. Sherry, secretaries, and Mrs. Charles A. McLeod, treasurer.

 

To report problems with this site please contact the TIGS webmaster
at jkeefe@nycap.rr.com

Back                                                                                              Home