The Welsh In Oneida County, New York  |  Evans  |  About  |  3

Cover
Contents
About
Introduction
Article
Emigration
To Oneida
Churches
Press
Politics
Appendix
Sources
Notes
Download
Search

<< Prev  Next >>

About

The Electronic Edition 1.0

This is Electronic Edition 1.0 of the thesis,
The Welsh in Oneida County, New York, originally presented in 1914 by Paul Demund Evans to the Faculty of the Graduate School of Cornell University for the Degree of Master of Arts.  Electronic Edition 1.0 is available online in HTML format and as a download text version

Minor changes were made to the original content such as correcting spelling and typographical errors. All Welsh words and definitions have been retained as used by the author in 1914. Some alterations were made in the physical design. Tables were reconstructed, page layouts were modified, and footnotes were renumbered and rearranged into a single notes section at the end of each chapter rather than appearing at the bottom of each page as in the original thesis. To provide context for the thesis, a new introduction was added, plus a transcription of a 1916 article from the
Utica Daily News describing the work of Paul Demund Evans. The HTML version includes a cover illustration, author photograph and hyperlinks.

Siloam Road Enterprises

The publisher, Siloam Road Enterprises, was formed in 2000 to publish, promote, and distribute educational information by and about Welsh immigrants and their descendants in Upstate New York, U.S.A.

Cover Illustration

The cover illustration shows the City of Utica, Oneida County, N. Y. 
circa 1840. Formerly known as Fort Schuyler, Utica was incorporated in 1832. By 1840 it had a population of 12,810 and had become a transportation center for roads and canals passing through the Mohawk Valley. Utica and nearby rural areas boasted large Welsh populations during the nineteenth century. Skilled craftsmen and laborers settled in the city, farmers and agricultural workers in the hills of Remsen-Steuben, 17 miles north of the city.  Source: John W. Barber and Henry Howe, Historical Collections of the State of New York. New York: S. Tuttle, 1841; 1851 edition.

Copyright Information

Except as specified below, no part of this publication may be reproduced in any form or by any means, including electronically, or transmitted by any means without permission in writing from the holders of the copyright.

Copying: Single digital or printed copies may be made for private use or research. Copies may be made for library or classroom use provided that copies are not made or distributed for profit or commercial advantage, and that copies bear this copyright notice.

Permission for Other Use: Permission is granted for brief quotes with the customary acknowledgment of the source.

The holders of the copyright hereby give permission to copy, print, or distribute any documents from this document, provided (1) that each copy makes clear the document's author and copyright, (2) that no copies are altered without express consent, and (3) that no one makes a profit from these copies without express consent. This permission does not extend to mirrors of this web document. Unaltered copies of this document may not be posted on the Internet without permission. Please use a link rather than a copy.

Acknowledgements

Thank you to Mrs. Paul D. Evans for permission to publish this thesis. Also, to Jean M. Evans and Richard M. Evans, sons of the late Paul Demund Evans, who encouraged the publication. Preparation of the text for HTML conversion was provided by the generous labors of volunteer word processors: Phil Roblee (Columbus OH), Janet S. Pew (Mesa AZ),  Dorothy Henry Howland and J. Perry Howland (Pultneyville NY), and Barbara Henry (Perry NY). Phil, Janet and Barbara are members of the Upstate New York Welsh Heritage Group. We are all pleased to make this important work on Welsh settlement in New York State accessible to the public at no cost.

Barbara Henry
Electronic Edition Editor
Siloam Road Enterprises

<< Prev  Next >>