History of Warren County, H. P. Smith
Chapter XXV: History of the Patent and Town of Queensbury - Part 5
This transcription was produced through the use of Readiris Pro 11 OCR software. Contributed by Tim Varney.
MUNICIPAL HISTORY.Page 421
Glens Falls. - This village is beautifully situated on the north bank of the Hudson River near the extreme southeast corner of the county. With the early settlement of this historic locality the reader has already been made familiar. The place was known in the first years of its settlement as the "Four Corners," which title, so familiar to hamlets in different parts of the State, it received from the corners now fronting the Rockwell House. It was given the name of "Glenville," also, as appears from early books of travel in this region. A little later and for a number of years in the early part of the century, a persistent attempt was made to fasten the name of "Pearlville," or "Pearl Village," upon the place; for what reason does not appear. Fortunately, the effeminate and inappropriate title was displaced by the present name.
It has already been discovered that this point was adapted by nature for the site of a ponderous business and manufacturing center, and its selection by the early pioneers as the site of a hamlet is proof of their sagacity. The region immediately surrounding the falls cannot be excelled for building purposes, while the unlimited water power gave promise of great value to those who might avail themselves of its use. The manufacture of lumber was the first industry Page 422 to engage the energies of the inhabitants, and it has always been an industry of great importance. Before the War of 1812 put a temporary check upon the growth of the village, there were between twenty and thirty sawmills in operation in the town, many of which were near Glens Falls, and there were thirty buildings constituting the village; they were all wood. Of these the principal ones were "The Tontine," before alluded to, the Glens Falls Hotel, a wooden structure erected by John A. Ferriss, in 1808-10, and kept by John Derby in 1813; the New Union Church, and a large, unfinished two story house built by General Warren Ferriss on Park street (burned in 1818). The mercantile interests of the village when the first number of the Warren Republican was issued, in 1813, comprised the drug store of Daniel Peck, on the site occupied in later years by his son Charles; the general store of John A. Ferriss; and that of Micajah Pettit in the same line, which was in a small wooden structure in rear of the old stone store under the hill, where he had traded since 1793; Roberts & Goodman's store, "under the hill;" L. I. Van Kleeck's store, of which his announcement says he "kept an assortment of dry goods, groceries, hardware, and crockery in the building near the meeting house" (this was on the site now occupied by William Cronkhite & Son); and a store kept by the firm of Fox & Little. This shows that at that early date Glens Falls, or "Pearl Village," as it was called, was already the center of considerable trade. And there were other mercantile establishments in the town then and for many years previously. David Sanford kept a store at Sanford's Ridge before 1810, which he subsequently sold out to John H. Hitchcock; Thomas Hammon had a store at the Oneida in 1808, and a few years later William McDonald established his prosperous mercantile business at the Ridge, on the site now occupied by Harris Haviland, and what was known as Osborne's store (1797) was also at the Ridge. Robert Wilkinson, William Hay, L. I. Van Kleeck and Abraham L. Vandenburgh, attended to the legal business of the place, and Dr. Levi Rugg was the leading physician, with Dr. Asa Stower in the north part of the town.
As we have already said, the early manufacturing interests, both at the village and throughout the town, was comprised largely of saw-mills. Some of the first ones were that of Thomas Scribner, which was probably located on the Big Pond Outlet, and as early as 1786; on the same stream Phineas Austin had a mill in 1808, and the Moon brothers, elsewhere mentioned, had both a saw-mill and a grist-mill there at about the same period; the remains of their grist-mill were visible down to a few years ago; one Odell, also, had a saw-mill before 1810, on the Outlet; Micajah Pettit had a saw-mill near his store on the west side of the road near the river bridge, in 1802; these mills rapidly increased in number until at the opening of the War of 1812 there were nearly thirty in the town, and at least six on the Outlet of Long Pond. Other manufactures of the first decade in the century embraced a tannery at the bridge, Page 423 which was conducted by a Mr. Kimball; it stood near the site of the present school-house; a distillery, operated by one Pease, who came here from Poultney, Vt., which, it is said, did a good business; he also kept a tavern where the Glen House afterward stood; an ashery worked by David Sanford, at the Ridge, and perhaps other minor industries. Abraham Haviland carried on blacksmithing on the site of the George Ferguson store as early as 1795.
Lewis L. Arms
For the lumber business and what other carrying trade was connected therewith, Glens Falls was the outlet; this fact was the cause of the establishment of numerous taverns of all grades of importance; these old county inns have nearly all disappeared before the oncoming railroads, which enable the traveler who leaves the great hotel of one city or village in the morning to take his next meal in a similar house at his next stop; taverns where travelers could obtain rest and refreshment, with the unfailing accompaniment of ardent spirits, followed close upon the heels of settlement in all new communities, not only in the young villages and hamlets, but at intervals on the country roads; and these were sufficiently patronized to make them not an unprofitable investment. We find that John Mallory kept a tavern in 1802 on the site of the present Glen Park Hotel at the corner of what was called in the early surveys, "The New Road." Peer's Tavern was a wayside inn about two miles north of the village at an early day. Jonathan Pitcher kept a tavern in a log building at Half-way Brook, which was known as the Pitcher Tavern; and others were soon opened in various parts of the town. In 1812 the old Union Hotel was built by Dr. D. McNeill; it originally consisted of a story and a half lean-to and adjoined the Henry Crandell premises. For a long time a swing sign bearing the legend, "Coffee House - 1812," commemorated the date of its erection. This original structure was enlarged to a commodious hotel, in 1814, by Samuel G. Skinner, who kept it for many years as a popular house. John A. Ferriss then kept the Glens Falls Hotel (built in 1802), on the site of the Rockwell House, and considerable rivalry existed between the two houses. At the time Skinner opened his reconstructed house, a sort of an "infair" was held, and in order to surpass any and all efforts of a similar nature that ever had been or were likely to be made in the future by the rival house, Mr. Skinner sent to Albany for a professional cook. The entertainment is said to have been a sumptuous one and was remembered by old inhabitants for many years. This house was kept soon after 1834 by Porter S. Chapman, and burned about the year 1842. The Glen House was also a popular hostelry of a somewhat later period which stood just north of the La Point saloon, under the hill; it was burned in 1867, while being conducted by Russell Barber. In 1815 Marmaduke Stevenson kept a tavern on the plank road two miles north of Glens Falls.
The little hamlet grew apace and during the ten years succeeding the close of the War of 1812 took on the aspects of a thriving village. The lumber interest Page 424 was greatly developed, and minor manufacturing establishments were founded as the needs of the inhabitants demanded. The first bridge across the river at this point was built before 1795. In 1804 Warren Ferriss was awarded a grant by the Legislature to build a toll bridge, which was done. That bridge stood until 1832-33 when it was displaced by a free bridge; the latter was erected by C. P. and H. J. Cool, and James Palmeter, under the supervision of the commissioner of highways of the town, The Warren Messenger of January 25th, 1833, says: "The new free bridge across the Hudson at this place is already in a considerable state of forwardness. We understand that the contractors will commence raising it in the course of the week."
By the year 1823 the town was divided into twenty school districts, number twenty including the village of Glens Falls. In that year a resolution of the town authorities provided for the raising of money to build a school-house in Glens Falls. A resolution was passed as follows: "Resolved, That the site be near the burying ground at the crotch of the road leading from S. G. Skinner's to Luzerne, on the east side of said burying-ground." Here the old school-house was erected and used until 1863.
From numbers of the Glens Falls Observer, published by E. Galloway Lindsey in 1827-28, a glimpse of those business interests whose proprietors had sufficient faith in printer's ink to advertise, is obtained. Wing & Geer had a general store and announced "seasonable goods which will be sold cheap for cash, lumber or country produce."
Philo & Ferguson also advertised a general store, "on the corner nearly opposite Samuel G. Skinner's coffee-house."
Miron Beach informed the public that he had started the manufacture of "fancy, Windsor and common chairs," a few doors east of the Glens Falls hotel; "all kinds of country produce taken in exchange." A. T. Prouty also carried on cabinet-making, and G. G. Dickinson was the village tailor. Hyman J. Cool advertised cabinet-making "near the bridge" and Charles Spencer's card announces him as a shoemaker. Estabrook & Adams's advertisement reads, "To farmers. - Ground Plaster for sale at our mills at Glens Falls at $7.50 per ton. Cash or grain taken in payment." J. Sisson carried on a druggist store, and Roswell Bacon erected tombstones over the departed. John A. Ferriss was prominent among the advertisers, with a general stock, and S. Burt did watchmaking. Such were the chief business interests of the village at that period.
The opening of the canal in 1823 gave a mighty impetus to the village and caused a development of the lumber business that was almost marvelous; while the same effects were produced upon the villages of Sandy Hill and Fort Edward, causing them for a period to even outstrip in rapidity of growth the village of Glens Falls; but a few years later (1830) the Feeder was opened to the latter village and inaugurated an era of growth and improvement which Page 425 has continued to the present time. With the beginning of navigation in the following year (1831) the Messenger gave the following exhibit of the condition of the village: -
"Our village at this time contains a population of about one thousand inhabitants. We have four lawyers, three physicians and one minister. Among our mechanics are to be found the shops of two cabinet-makers, five black-smiths, two hatters, three wagon-makers, one chair-maker, four shoemakers, one book-binder, three tailors, one stone cutter, one cooper, three saddle and harness makers, one painter, five carpenters, three masons and one baker; and also four milliners. (In the issue of the paper for the following week the addition was made of one watch-maker and two tinners.) We have nine mercantile stores, two druggists do., a post-office, surrogate's office, three inns, (1) one cotton factory, one clothier's shop, one printing-office and book-store, two grist-mills, three saw-mills, one marble factory, one plaster-mill, three limekilns, a medical school, (2) an academy, a Methodist and a Presbyterian church.
1. These were the Glens Falls Hotel, then kept and owned by P. D. Threehouse; the Union Hotel (or Skinner's tavern), then conducted by Edmund B. Richards, and the Glen House, under the hill, kept by the Widow Ray.
2. Of this school Dr. Holden wrote about twenty years ago as follows: "The medical school referred to was kept by Dr. Fletcher Ransom, whose office and drug store was in the building since burnt, on the site now occupied by Fonda and Numan's 'Masonic Block.' He had several students and legends of the dissecting room and stolen bodies are yet preserved in the memories of the older inhabitants. Mr. Ransom came from Brattleboro, Vt., and removed to Kalamazoo, Mich. He abandoned the practice of medicine on removing to the west."
This statement gives a clear idea of the growth of the village down to that date; it also indicates that the young village was in a thriving condition and possessed all the establishments common to such communities.
The decade following the opening of the Glens Falls Feeder was one of continued and increasing prosperity and growth in the village, and many improvements were made, chiefly in the direction of extending and perfecting the streets and supplying facilities for the extinguishment of fires.
The following glimpse of the village industries is given in an article published in the Messenger by Dr. Holden, as they appeared to him in 1836, in which year he made his acquaintance with the place: There were "the Glens Falls Hotel, kept by P. D. Threehouse ; L. L. Pixley's store, on the corner of Ridge and Warren streets; D. H. Cowles & Co.'s store; K. P. & H. J. Cool's store; J. A. Deforest's store, in the stone building under the hill; H. B. Ten Eyck's store, books and stationery; James Sisson, Daniel Peck and Clark & Peck (Drs. Billy J. Clark and Bethuel Peck, who had bought out Dr. Ransom), in the drug business; E. H. Rosekrans, Wm. Hay, J. L. Curtenius, counselors and attorneys at law and solicitors in chancery; A. T. Prouty, cabinet-maker; D. & J. H. Hitchcock, tin and hardware and general merchandise; A. T. Seaman, tailor; Dilwin Gardner, boots and shoes; A. W. Flack, grocery; and Philo & Ferguson, store." Besides these there were then appearing Page 426 on the signs in various parts of the village the names of Berry, Arms, Lapham, Ranger, Gillespy, Leavens, Tallmadge, Blakesly, Coffin, Geer, Haviland, etc. At that time the principal business of the place, and indeed the larger part of the entire village, was situated on the principal streets leading away to neighboring towns. Glen and Warren streets, Ridge (then called Quaker street), Bay, Park, Jay, Lime, Canal, Water, South and West streets; so much of Elm street as is embraced between Park and South streets, Exchange street and so much of Church street as extends from Warren to Canal streets, comprised the entire catalogue of streets at that time. In the ensuing summer John A. Ferriss opened that part of Maple street between Ridge and Bay streets; and Sidney Berry constructed the culvert, filled up the ravine and laid out and filled up Berry street. He also erected the Female Seminary, which was subsequently sold to district number 19, and used as a school-house.
The village evidently suffered to some extent from the epidemic of smallpox, which swept over the country in the year 1832, as well as on several later occasions. In the year named vigilant measures were adopted for the protection of the community and the ravages of the disease reduced to the minimum. In 1844, again, a small-pox panic attacked the people of the town, and resolutions were passed ordering vaccination and the removal of all infected persons outside of the corporation limits. Such removals were placed in the hands of King Allen.
Five years later (1849) another scare is remembered, which called forth the appointment in January of Drs. B. Peck and J. L. Stodard to sec that every person in the corporation was vaccinated, to report cases of small-pox and varioloid, etc. The cholera appeared in the country during the summer, and in June resolutions were passed to have the streets thoroughly cleaned and make all necessary preparations to combat the disease. A Board of Health was appointed, consisting of Henry Spencer, Isaac Knapp and David M. Dean.
In 1861 (to dispose of the small-pox question) another panic occurred. Some cases of a disease appeared which entirely mystified some of the local medical faculty, and considerable discussion and antagonism ensued. To settle the matter Dr. Swinburne, of Albany, was called to decide upon the character of the disease. In his report he said: "That the disease which is now depopulating the fairest portion of West and Canal streets and causing the farmers to go to Sandy Hill with their 'apple sass' and potatoes, and the good denizens of the village to fight like cats on a rainy night, is pure and unadulterated small-pox, without the slightest doubt; that vaccination is the best and only preventive." Prompt and sufficient action saved the community from a general spread of the loathsome disease. The village was again visited by the pestilence in 1881, and nearly twenty deaths followed; but better sanitary arrangements, more efficient action and thorough knowledge of requirements confined the disease to restricted limits.Page 427
From notes printed in the Messenger in 1873, prepared by the Rev. Ephraim H. Newton, a more detailed account of the industries of the village can be given, as they existed in July, 1835. For example, on the south side of Washington street, leading east from the village, were Dwight Hitchcock's general store; Peter Pelkey, shoemaker; Drs. Peck & Clark's drug store; a livery stable, kept by Enoch Ellis; James Parmeter's wagon shop, and Thomas Ramsey's stone-cutting establishment. On what is now Jay street (then called "The Lane") were John R. Wilson's blacksmith shop; Charles Cleveland in the same business; Elnathan Parsons's tannery. On the north side of Washington street Lewis L. Pixley kept a general store; Felix M. Duffie had a barber shop; Elnathan Parsons a shoe store and shop; Sheldon Benedict a saddlery and harness shop; Peter Powell & Company, general store, drugs, etc.; Daniel Peck & Son, druggists and general stock; Harmon Peck, stoves, iron and tinware. On what was then Pleasant street, leading north from the center of the village, on the east side were Pixley's store, already mentioned; Nehemiah Sheldon's tailor shop, and Lewis Numan's general store; on the west side were James Sisson's store, with a general stock, and Amarillis S. Lindsley's millinery shop. On the east side of River street, leading south from the Glens Falls Hotel, were the post-office, with Jabez Briggs as postmaster, and his grocery; A. N. Cheney's grocery; Allen T. Seaman's shop and clothing store; K. P. & H. J. Cool's store and cabinet shop; Dilwin Gardner's shoe store, currier shop and tannery; Henry Spencer's livery and tavern stables; John G. Spencer's grocery; then there were the lime kilns, quarries, lumber yards, etc., with De Forest & Freeman's store, Butler & Putnam's blacksmith shop, William Williams's woolen factory, Hawley & Arms's saw-mills. On the west side of this street were the Glens Falls Hotel, then kept by Rogers & Brown; James Wells's tailor shop, Roswell Bacon's marble cutting shop, James H. Comstock's hat store, Robert Dixon Barber, book binder, William Robinson's grocery, Rodgers & Cowles's general store, Calvin Robbins's stone blacksmith shop (then building), James F. Kelly's grocery, David Johnson's office and lumber yard, A. W. Flack's grocery, the Glen House, Putnam & Prouty's wagon shop, A. J. Everett's blacksmith and forging shop, Abraham Wing's saw-mills, Jonathan Whitman's shingle-mill, J. W. Freeman's saw-mill, William Nunn's saw-mill, a stone structure which was burned in 1835, J. W. Freeman's gypsum-mill, Adams & Cronkhite's grist-mill. On Warren street, west side, were George G. Hawley's store, John A. Ferriss's hat store, J. W. Willson's grocery and meat market, the Messenger printing office, E. Williams's store, Samuel S. Tallmadge's store. On the east side of this street were James Sisson's store, William Fowler's shoe store, the Misses Ranger, milliners, P. S. Chapman's tavern.
The foregoing embraces all or nearly all of the business industries of the village at that date. The stores and shops on several of the streets, which are Page 428 now entirely given up to traffic, were then interspersed with dwellings. Drs. Bethuel Peck, Billy J. Clark and N. E. Sheldon looked after the bodily ills of the community, while the quarrels of the vicinity were adjusted in a legal manner by William Hay, John L. Curtenius, E. H. Rosekrans and Ira A. Paddock. The lumber and lime business were then the chief industries of the place.
In this connection it will not be uninteresting to quote the following scheme for the development and improvement of Glens Falls which was evolved by E. H. Newton: -
"In July, 1835, I, E. H. Newton, formed the following visionary scheme for the improvement of the village of Glens Falls, viz.: That some one man of capital or company of men of ability and enterprise in the first place purchase all the lands and real estate which Micajah Pettit, of Sandy Hill, owns or holds in this village; also the Glen House or tavern stand and all the real estate appertaining thereto, in possession of Henry Spencer, esq., also the tanyard and the lands and buildings thereto attached, owned by Dilwin Gardner, esq., then run a straight line from or near the southwesterly corner of the said Gardner's tanyard to Calvin Robbins' stone dwelling house, and throw the whole of the land south of the line into a sidewalk, street, wharfs and lumber yards. Then commencing on the corner of the street which I shall now call Canal street and the street running from the Hudson River bridge to Peter Threehouse's Glens Falls Hotel, which I shall call River street, and erect a line of elegant stores, shops, offices, etc., with a finish of stone-pillared fronts, of three or more stories high and with cellars running into the bank in the rear, and the whole founded upon a rock. Then under or near Drs. Peck & Clark's drug store build a reservoir holding not less than 1,000 hhds. of water, and let this water be conveyed in aqueducts to this range of buildings, and the head will be sufficient to carry it to every apartment and the roofs thereof. Let the buildings be of stone, the fronts of the 2d and 3d stories with a finish of marble-hewn, sawn, cut-brick. This street will be spacious, the centre of business and wealth, accessible to every species of trade and art. The Glen House to be rebuilt, finished and furnished with splendid accommodations for travelers and visitors of the Falls of the Hudson. This will prepare the way to throw the residue of the Pettit land into the market at a great advance. The scheme is grand in theory, but will be grander if carried into effect. So says Ephm. H. Newton."
The financial crisis of 1837-38 came on and Glens Falls suffered heavily, in common with all other localities; but the tide of progress was not permanently staid; the village was controlled in its business relations by men of energy and ability, whose influence and determination were sufficient to inspire the entire community with courage.
Incorporation. - The subject of incorporation of the village had often been discussed, and on the 8th of December, 1838, a notice of application to the Legislature for the passage of an act of incorporation of the village of Glens Page 429 Falls appeared for the first time in the Glen's Falls Spectator. The act of incorporation was passed in April, 1839. The corporation as then defined contained a population of 1,270 whites, 621 of whom were males and 649 females, and nineteen colored persons. The first election of village officers was held on the 4th of June, resulting as follows: -
John A. Ferriss, Calvin Robbins, John W. Willson, George Cronkhite and James Sisson, trustees; James Palmeter, Dwight Hitchcock and Henry Ferguson, assessors; William Peck, treasurer; Orange Ferriss, clerk; Hazzard Green, constable, and Ira Green, collector. S. S. Tallmadge and Orange Ferriss were then justices of the peace of the town. At the initial meeting of the board, four days after the election, the trustees chose John A. Ferriss for president and adjourned. This custom of allowing the trustees to elect a president continued in vogue until 1874; since then the people have voted direct for that officer. The clerk was for many years elected by the people instead of being appointed by the trustees as at present.
The village boundaries, as given in the act of incorporation, are as follows: "All that part of the town of Queensbury, in the county of Warren, contained within the following bounds, namely: Beginning at the north bank of the Hudson River at low water mark, under the center of the bridge which crosses said river at Glen's Falls, running south seventy-six degrees thirty minutes west, along said river at low water mark, five chains and eight links; thence south forty-one degrees west, along said river at low water mark, eight chains; thence south twenty-six degrees west, along said river at low water mark, three chains; thence west twenty-eight chains and fifty links to stake standing on the westerly side of the Haviland road; thence north thirty minutes west, seventy-six chains, to a stake standing in the highway in front of Henry Philo's house, in range with the north line of lot number twenty-nine of the first division of lands in the town of Queensbury; thence east a part of the way on the north line of said lot number twenty-nine, eighty chains to a stake standing on the land of William McDonald; thence south thirty minutes east, eighty-two chains to the said Hudson River, at low water mark; thence north forty-two degrees west, along said river, at low water mark, twelve chains; thence north sixty-nine degrees west along said river at low water mark, ten chains; thence north eighty degrees west along said river at low water mark, twenty-two chains to the place of beginning, shall hereafter be known and distinguished by the name of the village of Glen's Falls, and the freeholders and inhabitants residing in said village, are hereby constituted a body corporate, by the name of the trustees of the village of Glen's Falls."
A code of by-laws and ordinances was passed upon by the new board and the village government was established on a firm basis. The trustees were also empowered to act as excise commissioners, and the first year granted one tavern license and five to "groceries;" no saloons are mentioned in the records. (1) Page 430 The receipts from this source were $30. The clerk was paid $25 for his year's service and the treasurer $3.25.
1. These licenses were granted to Alanson Dixon, for a tavern, and to John W. Willson, A. W. Flack, James Morgan, Chris Shaw and Hazzard Green, as grocers. In 1841 the trustees refused to grant licenses to grocers to sell liquors in quantities less than five gallons.
Simultaneously with the application to the Legislature for the incorporation of the village, as before mentioned, a notice appeared in the same sheet that application would be made to the Legislature for an act of incorporation embracing the right to construct a toll bridge across the river at this place; this notice was followed in the same month by three others similar in character. It appears that this project was looked upon as one the franchise for which would be very valuable; but it was destined to fail at that time, and in January, 1839, a notice was published in the Spectator to the effect that application would be made to the Board of Supervisors for a meeting of the board "to be held at the house of A. B. Tubbs," on Wednesday, February 20th, to levy a tax upon the several towns for the purpose of "repairing the present bridge or constructing a new one across the Hudson River at this place, and to construct other bridges in said county if deemed necessary." This notice was signed by A. W. Morgan, Keyes P. Cool, Walter Geer, jr., B. J. Clark, Orlin Mead and William McDonald. (1)
1. In February, 1841, the county of Warren was loaned $2,500 by act or Legislature, out of the common school fund, to build a bridge over the Hudson at Glens Falls. A. W. Morgan, Daniel Roberts and George C. Hawley, of Queensbury, were appointed commissioners, under the act.
In spite of the depression in financial affairs, another notice appeared at the time under consideration announcing application for a charter of incorporation of a company "with banking powers" to "improve the navigation of the upper portion of the Hudson River, either by canal or slack water navigation." Of this scheme Dr. Holden afterwards wrote: "This is memorable for more reasons than one. Firstly, because of the banking clause and its insertion at a period soon after the passage and repeal of the odious small bill law. (In that connection, the older residents may remember the twenty-five cent "shinplasters" issue by Mead & Sanford, and imitations subsequently thrown into circulation by Underwood, and which were made payable in White Pine Butts at Wing's saw-mill, or new rum at Richard's tavern). Secondly, the presentation of this petition originated a commission and appropriation for one of the most thorough topographical surveys and elaborate reports ever made in the State. Surveyors, engineers, chain-bearers, axe-men and pack-carriers accompanied by that gifted and sad-fated child of song, Charles Fenno Hoffman, threaded our northern forests, taking elevations and channeling out the grim old forest in tracks which can yet be seen. It was in one of these dim, green alleys of the 'forest primeval' where was to be the canal to the Great Bear Lake, 'a project that seems to have been a pet at one time.'"
The banking scheme alluded to again came before the public early in the year 1839, when the following appeared in an editorial: -Page 431
"A meeting of the subscribers to the Glens Falls Banking Association is to be held at the Glens Falls Hotel on the 2d day of February next for the purpose of choosing thirteen directors and other preparations necessary to go into operation as soon as possible. There is not a better location for a bank north of Troy than this." The project was not consummated for some undefined reason, and Glens Falls was without a bank for more than ten years afterwards, as will appear further on.
While the newly incorporated village was enjoying its era of prosperity consequent upon the construction of the canals, and men were constantly coming hither who subsequently became instrumental in adding greatly not only to their own wealth, but to the general activity and growth of the place, educational and religious institutions increased in number and influence. We have already alluded to the old academy, built in 1814, which had a useful career. A village library was founded in 1835 which became a popular and beneficial institution for a number of years; and soon afterward the Female Seminary was built by Sidney Berry. The Spectator of May 19th, 1837, contained a very eulogistic notice of the annual examination which had just been held. The seminary was then under the direction of Miss Lucy Harris as principal; the institution passed to the direction of Miss Downs and her sister in 1849 and became quite prosperous. In the latter part of the year 1839 a Lyceum was organized. The following expression relative to this institution is found in the notice in the Spectator calling for a meeting of organization: 'That a positive benefit is the certain result to our village from a well-conducted and well-sustained Lyceum, no person can doubt; and as it is a matter of public profit, it should also be a matter of sufficient public interest to elicit a full house and efficient measures."
The principal business of the village authorities for a number of years was the improvement of streets, making additions to the facilities for extinguishing fires and auditing the limited number of accounts against the corporation. The first practical steps toward protecting the village from fire were taken in the latter part of 1841, when a resolution was passed "that Henry Spencer be appointed to procure such hooks and ladders as may be necessary for the use of the village, and to secure a permanent place of deposit for the same." In the next year measures were adopted for the purchase of an engine and other apparatus, as will hereafter appear.
Henry Spencer was president of the village for the year ending in May, 1843, and at the annual meeting for the election of officers he was voted twenty-five dollars for his services in that office. This action established the precedent which has since been followed, of awarding the successive presidents an annual salary.
The trustees were extremely solicitous in early years for the good looks of the streets and made some stringent regulations in regard to keeping them free Page 432 from incumbrances. Even a pair of hay scales which D. H. Cowles, a prominent business man, began erecting in 1843 on the Warren street side of his block, were vetoed as an incumbrance and contrary to the village by-laws. He was, however, permitted to place them on the Ridge street side of the block.
Perhaps we shall be able to give our readers a tolerably clear idea of the business interests of the village in the period between 1850 and 1855, by again appealing to the advertising columns of the local newspapers. In a number of the Glens Falls Free Press of April 15th, 1854, we find it announced that Cowles & Co., have just removed their stock of goods to the store of A. Sherman on Glen street. The copartnership of Morgan & Lapham was then just dissolved; the firm having been engaged in a general mercantile business. The new firm to continue the business was composed of James Morgan, Jerome Lapham and Charles Corliss. George C. Mott and Dr. A. W. Holden carried on the drug business; Dr. N. E. Sheldon also sold drugs, and M. C. Rich announced himself as a jeweler, "two doors north of Cronkhite Bros., Glen street." J. C. Higby was prepared to rehabilitate gentlemen in fashionable tailoring, ready-made clothing and furnishing goods in a new establishment at the "north end of the Glens Falls Hotel," after which they could go to Carlos Morgan, "two doors north of Glens Falls Bank," or to Edwin O. Peck, artist in daguerreotype, "one door west of M. C. Rich's jewelry store," and have their pictures made. Hermon Peck, on "Warren street, sign of the big padlock," and Noble Peck & Co. (Noble Peck and J. L. Kenworthy), "Sandy Hill Street, a few doors north of the Glens Falls Hotel," supplied the community with hardware, stoves, etc. Sheldon Benedict announced his abandonment of building to engage in the saddlery and harness trade," at his old stand between Vaughn's and Peck's stores," and Bennett & Traphagan (C. R. Bennett, J. T. B. Traphagan) carried on the same business at the "third door above Glens Falls Bank." E. Benedict & Co. (from which firm William Dunning had just withdrawn) were engaged in boot and shoe trade, which line was shared by A. F. Smith on Exchange street. The firm of Cool & Hall (H. J. Cool, E. C. Hall) had recently dissolved, and the sale of hats and caps continued by the senior member. The Harris Lime Company, in "the old stone store near the canal bridge," offered flour and groceries generally, and J. D. Cornell & Co. were engaged in the same line. Among other business establishments at that date were George C. Mort & Co., hats and caps; William Peat, fashionable tailor; James E. Mart & Co.; J. S. Ladow, and Hopkins & Dix, machinists; Cool & Robinson, Nova Scotia and western plaster, etc.; J. B. Cool & Bros., salt, etc.; and Briggs & Lapham, makers of endless chain pumps.
From the Warren county Whig of about a year later we gain additional information of other business establishments in the village, of which the following is a brief summary: Fred E. Ranger, bookseller, No. 3 Merchants' Row; John H. Martin, jeweler, No. 2 Exchange; W. R. Winchell, clothing and Page 433 furnishing goods, "north end of Carpenter's new hotel, Glen street;" Drs. B. & M. R. Peck, druggists; John N. Clements, jewelry and musical instruments, two doors north of Rich's jewelry store, Glen street; J. S. Van Winkle, confectioner; James E. Martin & Co., general store, "a few doors north of the Glens Falls Hotel;" J. C. Johnson & Co., hardware, wines and liquors, groceries, etc., Glen street; J. E. & G. W. Dean, marble, Exchange building; S. W. Holdredge, musical merchandise, "No.2 Cowles's new building, up stairs;" F. Smith & Co., "respectfully announced the opening of a new clothing store in Cowles's new building;" Henry Wing, general store in the "Brick Row; "Cheney, Arms & Co., "new plaster-mill, adjoining the grist-mill," (South Glens Falls); George Clendon, jr., manufactured soap and candles, corner of Glen and Pine streets; and Daniel Benedict made brick one mile north of Glens Falls; E. M. Forbes was insurance agent; J. S. Perine, justice of the peace, and E. B. Cowles, architect and builder. Wood sawing and turning was carried on at South Glens Falls by Gardner T. Lewis, and Eastwood & Carpenter had a market on Glen street.
From this date to the present the growth of Glens Falls has been steady and healthful, as will be seen in succeeding pages, and the public spirit of its citizens has kept pace with it in the establishment of all needed public institutions. The ordinances had already, in 1841, been amended and considerably extended, mainly in the direction of keeping the streets in order and free from roving animals.
The building of the plank road from Glens Falls to Caldwell in the year 1848, was an improvement of great utility and added to the general development of the place through more rapid and easier transportation southward from the interior of the county.
Coming down to the end of the first decade of the existence of the village as a corporation, we find that there were then twenty-five streets in the place, a number that has since grown in about thirty-five years to nearly eighty; and the general business interests of the village had increased to the satisfaction of the most hopeful.
The lack of sufficient water supply for the village had been felt for some years, and in April, 1848, a project was agitated for bringing a supply of pure water to the village in pipes. For this purpose Daniel G. Harris was given permission to lay pipes, with the stipulation by the authorities that he should leave the streets in as good condition as he found them. For adequate reasons the scheme was never consummated, and the old wells and cisterns, to which frequent additions were made, furnished the only water supply for many years and until the inauguration of the present complete system.
In 1853 the Glens Falls Cemetery was established upon lands purchased of Andrew Porteous. Patrick Johnson was appointed as the first sexton, in April, 1855.Page 434
In 1854 the first movement was made towards introducing illuminating gas into the village. In April of that year Messrs. Sabbaton & Merrifield, of Albany, were given the exclusive privilege for two years of laying pipes in the streets for this purpose, provided they began the construction of works within four months and prosecuted the same to completion. The pipes were laid and in April, 1856, the trustees authorized the erection of a gas lamp post at each of the town pumps (where the fountain and the soldier's monument now stand). For the succeeding three years these two lamps supplied all the light the village had; in 1859 six more lamps were added, and this number has been increased until now about one hundred and thirty lamps of gas and naphtha illuminate the streets.
The year 1863 saw the erection of the brick school-house in the village. At a special meeting held January 20th, of that year, the trustees were directed to purchase the old building and lot in front, in district No. 20, for which purpose they were directed to raise by tax $350. They were also directed to purchase of Thomas Kirkham land enough to make a lot equal to the extent of the former lot, on South and West streets, at a cost not exceeding $200. George Conery was directed to prepare a plan for a school-house. The building was erected of brick, 70 by 35 feet, costing $1,400.
There is little of importance to record in the general history of the village from the period last considered down to the breaking out of the war. Glens Falls then became the headquarters for a large district surrounding, and during the years of the great struggle, the village partook of the military character prevailing throughout the country, while business activity was greatly enhanced. In patriotic endeavor to respond to the different calls of the government for men and means, as well as in their determination that Queensbury soldiers and their families should not needlessly suffer, the inhabitants of Glens Falls and the town at large were not outdone by those of any community in the State. The details of the events of this period have already been given to the reader.
Before the close of the war, and on the 31st of May, 1864, the village was the scene of an appalling calamity. A fire so destructive as to nearly wipe out the business portion of the place swept over the village, leaving but three of the numerous stores and but little of the manufacturing portion of the village. The loss reached about half a million dollars. For a full account of this conflagration, the reader is referred to the chapter on the press of the county, where will be found a fac simile of the first issue of the Messenger after the fire, in which is printed a detailed account of the event.
There were not wanting among the inhabitants of Glens Falls those who looked upon this disastrous fire as a blessing disguised; such was the case even among some enterprising men who were actual heavy losers in dollars and cents. A large number of buildings were destroyed which were anything but Page 435 an ornament to the place, and which otherwise would have stood for years; these were succeeded by the handsome structures of the present day, many wooden buildings being displaced by substantial brick structures, and the general appearance and character of the business portion of the village was vastly improved. The leading and most energetic men of the place came to the front and building after building arose in rapid succession, while business was carried on in the mean time by the most ingenious make-shifts. In short the disaster which, in a less enterprising community would have paralyzed the industries of the place, seemed here only to fire anew the energetic people and general prosperity was scarcely interrupted.
Within a few years after the close of the war railroad agitation began, resulting in the building of the road connecting the village with Fort Edward and the outer world, which gave an added impetus to the growth of the place; this was supplemented at a later date by the extension of the road to Lake George, as elsewhere described.
From the era of rebuilding after the great fire, the growth of Glens Falls has been uninterrupted to the present time; to-day it is one of the most thrifty, enterprising and rapidly growing villages in the State, while in its just claims to natural and artificial beauty, it is not often surpassed. Its population, exclusive of its suburbs, is about 7,000, and with the natural suburb of South Glens Falls (connected with this village by the bridge across the Hudson) and other surroundings that may almost be considered as belonging to the place, the number of inhabitants approaches ten thousand. The succeeding description of the present manufacturing and mercantile interests and other institutions will give the reader an intelligent idea of the village in all of its various aspects. Some of the men who have been most conspicuous in contributing to the growth and prosperity of Glens Falls have already been mentioned in these pages; but many have not, nor can all be in any detail; but it will not be out of place to speak of a few of the most prominent. Such are Augustus Sherman, Halsey R. Wing, John Folsom, William McDonald and his son, L. G. McDonald, John Keenan, Jonathan M. and Thomas S. Coolidge, Daniel Peck, Jerome Lapham, Rev. R. M. Little, Samuel Pruyn, James and A. W. Morgan, William ,V. Rockwell, William McEchron, William H. Gayger, the several Haviland families, Fred. A. Johnson, Keyes P. Cool, Han. E. H. Rosekrans, W. E. Spier, and a host of younger men now engaged in mercantile business or manufacturing, and professional men whose labors in other directions have been no less potent for the general good of the community.
Following is a list of the presidents of the village from its incorporation to the present time, embracing the names of many men additional to the above, whose energies and influence have contributed substantially to the growth and welfare of the place: -
Ezra Benedict, 1857; William Briggs, 1845, '48; Daniel V. Brown, 1861; Page 436 Stevens Carpenter, 1846; James C. Clark, 1853; George Conery, 1864; Jonathan M. Coolidge, 1883; Daniel H. Cowles, 1859; Zopher I. Delong, 1863; James Ferguson, 1862, '66; John A. Ferriss, 1839; Henry E. Fickett, 1858; Stephen L. Goodman, 1865; George G. Hawley, 1849; Richard W Higby, 1850-52; Frederick A. Johnson, jr., 1870; John Keenan, 1871, '76, '77, '84; S. D. Kendrick, 1880, '81, '85; Jerome Lapham, 1867, '74; William McEachron, 1872; Joseph Mead, 1869; Alonzo W. Morgan, 1854; James Palmeter, 1840; S. A. Parks, 1877; Daniel Peck, 1868; Hiram Roberts, 1860; E. H. Rosekrans, 1855; James W. Schenck, 1856; Melville A. Sheldon, 1873; Henry Spencer, 1841, '42, '44; William E. Spier, 1881; Samuel S. Tallmadge, 1843; Jarvis A. Underwood, 1878; Abraham Wing, 1847.
Following is a list of the, clerks of the corporation from its formation to the present time: -
Adam Armstrong, jr., 1868; Louis M. Brown, 1885; Alvin R. Carpenter, 1869; George W. Cheney, 1865; Isaac J. Davis, 1856, '59, '60; C. J. Delong, 1878-'80; A. Hackley Fennel, 1867; Orange Ferriss, 1839-'42; Emery D. Harris, 1861-'66; Henry C. Hay, 1858; D. F. Keefe, 1876; Isaac Mott. 1849-'54; J. F. Patterson, 1874, '75; Charles R. Patterson, 1884; Charles Peck, 1843, '45 ; Joseph S. Perine, 1855; Ira A. Perrin, 1843; Frederic E. Ranger, 1857; E. R. Safford, 1881-'83; John A, Sheldon, 1870-'73 ; Allen T. Wilson, 1846-'48.
The following list gives the names of all who have held the office of village trustee and embraces a large majority of the prominent men of the place since the incorporation: Ezra Benedict, 1850, '51, '57; Wm. Briggs, 1845, '46, '48, '57; Erastus Bronson, 1840, '41 ; Wm, C. Bronson, 1843; Daniel V. Brown, 1850-'52, '61, '69; Cyrus Burnham, 1844; H. H. Bush, 1878, '79; James Buswell, 1853; Charles R. Cameron, 1866, '68, '75, '76; A. R. Carpenter, 1877, '78; Stevens Carpenter, 1846; Albert N. Cheney, 1846; James C. Clark, 1848, '53; Sanford Coffin, 1880; Thomas Coffin, 1845 ; George Conery, 1861, '62, '64, '68; Joseph B. Cool, 1855; Keyes P. Cool, 1840; Thomas S, Coolidge, 1870; William Cosgrove, 1868; Daniel A, Cowles, 1863, '59; H. S. Crittenden, 1874; Henry Crandell, 1874; George Cronkhite, 1839, '44; Wm. Cronkhite, 1858; Enos C. Crosby, 1847; David M, Dean, 1843, '48; C. J. Delong, 1875; Theodore S. Delong, 1869; Zopher I. Delong, 1862, '63, '73; Martin Eastwood, 1850; Enoch Ellis, 1842; Henry Ferguson, 1844, '50-'52; James Ferguson, 1858, '61, '62, '66; John A. Ferriss, 1839; Henry E. Fickett, 1858; James C. Finch, 1856; Joseph Fowler, 1879; Stephen L. Goodman, 1865; Stephen Goodspeed, 1842; Enoch Gray, 1860; Joel B. Green, 1863, '66; Hiram M. Harris, 1871, '72; Ezra Hartman. 1876, '77; George G. Hawley, 1849, '54; John C. Higby, 1847; Richard W. Higby, 1847, '50, '51, '52; S. W. Higgins, 1882, '83; Alfred Hitchcock, 1858; A. F. Hitchcock, 1879, '80; C. H. Hitchcock, 1883, '84; Dwight Hitchcock, 1841, Page 437 '42; Dewitt C. Holman, 1865, '82; Ezekiel Holman, 1846; William Hoskins, 1864; Theodore Hotchkiss, 1870; Edwin Hubbard, 1855; Frederick A. Johnson, jr., 1870; Daniel F. Keefe, 1869; John Keenan, 1863, '66, '71, '72; John L. Kenworthy, 1853; Ruliff Kipp, 1864, '70; Isaac Knapp, 1849; Hiram Krum, 1863, '77, '78; Benjamin F. Lapham, 1865; Henry G. Lapham, 1873; Jerome Lapham, 1851, '57, '71, '72; Harmon R. Leavins, 1869, '71, '72, '79, '80 ; Gardiner T. Lewis, 1863; Meredith B. Little, 1865, '73; Ira Locke, 1855; Leonard G. McDonald, 1857; William McDonald, 1843 ; William McEachron, 1867, '71, '72; A. McMullen, 1876, '77; Donald McNeil, 1847; Joseph Mead, 1867, '69; Alonzo W. Morgan, 1841, '48, '54, '70; Isaac Mott, 1859; Henry Nesbitt, 1868; Josiah Norris, 1849; George Norton, 1861, '62, '75; Daniel Numan, 1861, '62; James Palmeter, 1840; Bethuel Peck, 1843; Charles Peck, 1848; Daniel Peck, 1864, '67, '68, '84; William Peck, 1845, '49; Walter Phelps, jr., 1858; Samuel Pruyn, 1874; Marquis C. Rich, 1859, '60; Calvin Robbins, 1839; David Roberts, 1840, '41; David G. Roberts, 1845, '66, '75, '76; Hiram Roberts, 1856, '60, '64; Frederic W. Robinson, 1854; Enoch H. Rosekrans, 1855; James W. Schenck, 1852, '56; Nathaniel Shaw, 1846; Nehemiah Shaw, 1847; Melville A. Sheldon, 1873; George Shippey, 1856; George W. Sisson, 1865; James Sisson, 1838, '44, '45, '52, '56; O. C. Smith, 1883, '84; John Somers, 1854; Henry Spencer, 1841, '42, '44; Benjamin C. Starbuck, 1855; Samuel S. Tallmadge, 1843; Archibald C. Tearse, 1857, '59, '60, '64, '67; Berry Thompson, 1842; George J. Tillotson, 1853; William Wait, 1873; James Wells, 1840; Martin L. Wilmarth, 1859, '60, '80; John W. Wilson, 1839; L. G, Wilson, 1882, '83; Abraham Wing, 1847.
Following are the village officers for the year 1885: President, S. D, Kendrick; trustees, Daniel Peck, Daniel Corbet, John B. De Long, and Merchant H. Bradt; treasurer, Stowell B. Whitney; collector, Edward Dougherty; Assessor, Charles Parsons.
Post-offices. - The first post-office was established at Glens Falls on the first of January, 1808. Previous to that time the nearest office was at Sandy Hill and the inhabitants at this place were compelled to go there for mail privileges. The list of postmasters at Glens Falls was furnished to Dr. Holden by a friend in Washington, as they appear below, and with the list he enclosed the following information: -
"In examining the old books some doubt has arisen whether 'Glenville' was not the original name; but, as no change of name is found, it is presumed that Glens Falls was established, or commenced rendering 1st January, 1808. Unfortunately, the fire which destroyed the building in 1836 consumed three of the oldest books, which makes it difficult to trace the exact date of many of the old offices; but this is believed to be correct."
Dr. Holden adds that this statement is corroborated by the recollection of several persons, among whom may be mentioned the late Abraham Page 438 Wing and Judge Hay. The first post-office was established in a wooden building, the first structure erected on the southeast corner of Glen and Warren streets. Judge Hay, whose father erected the building, wrote Dr. Holden that "at the time of Emmons's appointment (1816), James Henderson became postmaster at the Oneida, but whether he was the first one appointed there I know not."
Following are the successive postmasters at Glens Falls: John H. Ferriss, 1808; Adonijah Emmons, 1816; Horatio Buell, 1818; John A. Ferriss, 1823; Ira A. Paddock, 1829; Jabez Briggs, 1835; Jonathan W. Freeman, 1841; Henry Philo, 1843; James Palmeter, 1845; Eleazer S. Vaughn, 1848; Stephen I. Williams, 1849; William Peck, 1853; Daniel Peck, 1856; Hiram M. Harris, 1860; John L. Kenworthy, 1861; Carlos Morgan, 1863; W. H. Van Cott, 1881; H. S. Crittenden, the present incumbent, appointed 1885.
Present Attorneys. - In the preceding pages of the present chapter, and in the earlier chapter devoted to the Bench and Bar of the county, the reader has already become familiar with the names and careers of the members of the legal profession who have at various times engaged in the counsels and forensic contests of Glens Falls. The present attorneys of the place are E. L. Ashley, J. H. Bain, Stephen Brown, L. M. Brown, William M. Cameron, A. J. Cheritree, C. S. Enches, H. A. Howard, Daniel F. Keefe, Charles F. King, H. P. King, J. J. Mead, Isaac Mott, Charles R. Patterson, E. R. Safford, M. A. Sheldon, E. L. Stearns and F. H. Streeter.
The attorney of longest standing in the village is Isaac Mott, who came here in January, 1850. He began the study of law in Glens Falls with Judge William Hay in 1838, was admitted to practice in 1844, at Utica, and practiced in Schuylerville until 1849. He was obliged, with others; to compete with Stephen Brown several years later. Mr. Brown was graduated at the Ballston Law School a short time before he opened an office in Glens Falls. H. A. Howard was admitted at Albany in May, 1867, after passing the necessary period of clerkship in Windsor, Vt. and completing a course of study at the Albany Law School. Immediately after his admission to practice he came here and has practiced with distinguished success ever since. He is now serving the county in a second term as district attorney. M. A. Sheldon was admitted at Lake George in 1852. He began his law studies at the Ballston Law School a number of years before, and passed his clerkship in the office of Judge A. C. Hand, of Elizabethtown. He practiced in Ticonderoga from 1852 to January 1st, 1868, at which time he removed to Glens Falls. Judge Andrew J. Cheritree was born in Greeneville, Greene county. He received his early education in the Greeneville Academy; studied law in the office of Abraham Becker, in South Worcester, Otsego county; was admitted at Morrisville, Madison county, in 1852; came to Luzerne, in this county, in 1854. From there he removed to Glens Falls in 1869. He is now, and since 1882 has been county Page 439 judge and surrogate of Warren county, and for nine months preceding the election in 1882, held the position under the appointment of the governor. Daniel F. Keefe was admitted at Schenectady in 1869, after taking the prescribed course of study in the office of Davis & Harris, in Glens Falls. He commenced practicing here in the spring of 1870. Edwin R. Safford graduated at the Albany Law School in June, 1874. For the first five or six years he practiced as clerk in the office of Brown & Sheldon, of this place. Since leaving them he has continued his practice alone. Calhoun S. Enches has practiced here since his admission in January, 1876. Previously he had read with Armstrong & Keefe, and with Judge Davis. H. Prior King, after reading law at Warrensburgh and with Judge Davis at Glens Falls, was admitted at Albany in January, 1878. He has practiced here ever since. J. H. Bain was admitted in 1873 at Iowa City, Ia., after completing a course of study in the law department of the University of Iowa. He practiced four years in West Liberty, Iowa, and then, in 1878, removed to Glens Falls. Charles R. Patterson divided his clerkship between R. C. Kellogg, of Elizabethtown, and Hon. Warren S. Kelly, of Albany, and was graduated at the Albany Law School in May, 1878. He then practiced in Elizabethtown until February, 1879, when he came to Glens Falls. E. L. Stearns passed the examination at the General Term of the Supreme Court held in Saratoga in September, 1879. He had previously studied with H. A. Howard, of this place. In 1881 he was elected justice of the peace and was re-elected in the spring of 1885. Frank H. Streeter was admitted at Albany in 1880, since which time he has been in practice in Glens Falls. J. J. Mead read law in the office of Isaac J. Davis, of Glens Falls, and was graduated from the legal department of Union University, May 25th, 1883. He came here at once and opened an office. After studying law with Brown & Sheldon, and subsequently with Stephen Brown, L. M. Brown was admitted at Saratoga in September, 1883. Since his admission he has practiced in company with his father, under the firm name of S. & L. M. Brown. Charles F. King was admitted in the same class with Mr. Brown. He had previously studied with Thomas Cunningham, of Warrensburgh, and later with Stephen Brown. He is now clerk in the office of S. & L. M. Brown. William M. Cameron was admitted in the fall of 1884 at Saratoga. He passed his clerkship with A. Dallas Wait, ex-judge of Washington county. He came to Glens Falls in the spring of 1885. Eugene L. Ashley passed a clerkship with M. A. Sheldon, of this place, and was admitted in January, 1885.
Present Physicians. - The introductory remark concerning the early history of the legal profession in Glens Falls will apply in this division, the early, physicians having been properly referred to in the previous pages of this chapter and in the general chapter on the medical fraternity. The physicians at present practicing in the village are: Drs. A. O. Ameden, C. S. Barney, David Bullard, F. L. R. Chapin, H. W. Coffin, R. J. Eddy, James Ferguson, D. Page 440 J. Fitzgerald, C. A. Foster, W. Garfield, A. W. Holden, Hamilton Holliday, G. W. Little, Godfrey R. Martine, G. W. Nyce, Buel G. Streeter and Fred B. Streeter. Dr. James Ferguson is a graduate of the medical college formerly situated at Castleton, Vt., which endowed him with a degree in 1841. From then until 1852 he practiced at Schoharie, N. Y., and at the latter date removed to Glen Falls. He owned the Prospect Mountain House at Caldwell, which was burned in 1880, and rebuilt as the Ferguson Mountain House. Dr. David Bullard was graduated at the Albany Medical College in 1849. In 1856 he was converted to the principles of the Homoeopathic school. He practiced in Fulton county until 1860, the date of his arrival at Glens Falls. Dr. F. L. R. Chapin was graduated from the Albany Medical College in 1851. He practiced in Albany until 1865 (excepting two years in which he was in the war) and from 1853 to 1861 was demonstrator of anatomy in the college of which he is a graduate. In 1865 he came to Glens Falls where he has continued to the present. (See biography herein.) Dr. Buel G. Streeter was graduated at the Medical College at Castleton, Vt., in 1853, and located at Granville, Washington county, N. Y. He took an active part in the Rebellion, and filled a number of prominent medical and surgical positions. After the war he came to Glens Falls. (See biographical sketch herein.) Dr. R. J. Eddy was graduated at the medical department of the University of Vermont at Burlington, in 1868. He first practiced in Salisbury, Vt., then at Bristol in the same State, and came to Glens Falls in 1872. Dr. A. O. Ameden also received his medical education at the medical department of the University of Vermont. He first practiced at Patten's Mills in Washington county about three years; he then passed over nine years at Ticonderoga. He came here in January, 1878. He is a native of Queensbury, and was born in this town on the 21st day of October, 1838. Dr. G. W. Little received his degree in 1858, after completing the requisite course at the Albany Medical College. During this year he was assistant house-surgeon of the Albany City Hospital. He came here for one year. In 1859 he went to Johnsburgh, in this county, where he remained until 1865. In that year he removed to Fort Edward, in which place he practiced until the spring of 1881. While there he was in partnership with Dr. B. F. Cornell, of Moreau, for the ten years ending in 1877, and served three successive terms as coroner. Soon after his arrival in Glens Falls he entered into copartnership with H. W. Coffin, which lasted until July, 1884. Since January, 1885, Dr. Hamilton Holliday has been with him. Dr. Fred B. Streeter is a graduate of Union College, from which he received a degree in 1876, and of the Albany Medical College, which gave him its diploma in 1879. He immediately began to practice here. Dr. H. W. Coffin was graduated at the New York Homoeopathic Medical College in 1880. He practiced in New York until 1882, and then came here. As before stated, he was in company with Dr. Little two years, but since July, 1884, has been alone. Dr. Godfrey Page 441 R. Martine was graduated from the medical department of the University of Vermont in 1862, and practiced until 1882 in Johnsburgh, Vt. He came here in 1882, and in the following year associated with himself Dr. C. A. Foster. (See biography herein.) Dr. C. S. Barney began to practice in Glens Falls immediately after receiving his degree from the medical department of the Union University at Albany in 1883. Dr. C. A. Foster finished his course in the Louisville Medical College, of Louisville, Ky., in 1879. He was then house-surgeon for the Louisville City Hospital for one year. In 1880 he removed to Lowville, N. Y., the place of his father's residence, where he remained for three years. In 1883 he came to Glens Falls, and entered into partnership with Dr. Martine, which has continued to the present. Dr. G. W. Nyce dates his graduation from the medical department of the University of Philadelphia in the year 1857. He first practiced in Michigan; second in Chicago, where he was burned out by the great fire; third in Indiana; then in Kansas. From there he went to Greenwich, Washington county, N. Y., and thence in 1883, to Glens Falls. Though he is a general practitioner, his specialty is in removing cancers, tumors, etc. Dr. W. Garfield was graduated at the University of Vermont, at Burlington, in 1874. Until September, 1883, he practiced at Pawlet, Vt., and then removed hither. Dr. D. J. Fitzgerald received his degree from the medical department of Union University in March, 1884, and after three or four months practice in the Hospital of New York came here. Dr. Hamilton Holliday was also admitted to practice in March, 1884, and is also a graduate of the medical department of Union University. For about two months after his admission he remained in the office of Dr. John Swinburne, of Albany - the Swinburne Medical Dispensary. After leaving there he practiced for a period of eight months in Gansevoort, Saratoga county. He came to Glens Falls and entered into partnership with Dr. Little in January, 1885. Dr. C. Cote is a graduate of the Montreal College of Physicians and Surgeons, and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of London, England. He came to Glens Falls in 1884.
Dental. - The first dentist in this town was George McNeil. Another dentist who came here very early and remained until a comparatively recent date was James E. Cadwell, who is unfortunate in that he has been pronounced insane. George E. Knox was here formerly, too, and was bought out by James S. Garrett, who came here in 1860. Dr. Garrett still practices his profession here. He passed his apprenticeship with Dr. Knox. J. H. Foulds was graduated at the Ohio Dental College at Cincinnati, in 1881, and began to practice in Glens Falls immediately. W. S. Huntington, after an experience of fourteen years in Watertown, Jefferson county, came here in November, 1882. J. W. Benson began practice as a dentist about the year 1858 in Otsego county. He came to Glens Falls in 1863 and has continued here in successful practice since.Page 442
Civil Engineer. - James W. Reed is a graduate from the department of civil engineering at Cornell University. He received his degree in June, 1883. He was employed by the United States government on the Mississippi commission for nearly a year, and was afterwards overseer of the work of putting in a system of sewerage at Cape May. He came here in the spring of 1884.