Westchester County, NY
CEMETERIES and FUNERAL HOMES
of WESTCHESTER COUNTY, NY
This page was last updated: Tuesday, 14-Jun-2011 08:50:08 MDT
[Currently Used Cemeteries] [Older Cemeteries] [Periodicals] [Transcribed Cemetery Inscriptions]
[Links to Cemetery-Related Web Sites]
Currently Used Cemeteries
Many cemeteries which are currently in use today can be found at the attached listing of current cemeteries and their addresses. Please call the cemetery to verify the full mailing address before writing them. In some cases, the addresses show the location of the cemetery, while their office may be located elsewhere.
For information concerning Westchester cemeteries no longer in use, contact the local historical society of the town in which you are interested. Also, contact the Westchester County Historical Society for any listings which they may have concerning older cemeteries. The WCHS also has inventories of "residents" of older cemeteries, so be sure to inquire about such inventories. For a "Bibliography of Cemetery Records" compiled by Thelma E. Smith, see pages 29-34 of The Guide to Genealogical Research for Westchester County.
Our thanks to volunteers like Joan Gerrits and Judy Wolf who have shared their information with us and especially Jean Ann Orser Lupinetti who has kindly transcribed many of the older stones of the following cemeteries before they fade away. Both ladies have generously offered their time and information to their fellow researchers of Westchester County by transcribing records and posting them here.
- Cedar Hill Cemetery, Montross, NY
- Lent Cemetery, Cortlandt, NY
- Chapter XXIV from Charles Baird's book (published in 1871) Chronicle of a Border Town: History of Rye, Westchester County, New York, 1660-1870, including Harrison and the White Plains till 1788 which gives a description of the many cemeteries and family plots in Rye as well as some indication as to who is buried in each.
- Heady Burying Ground, New Castle, NY
- Sandstones of Sparta Cemetery, Ossining, NY
- Sandstones of Van Cortlandtville Cemetery
- List of Lot Owners in Hillside Cemetery up to April 1, 1890
- Chase Cemetery, Cortlandt Manor, Furnace Woods, Chase Cemetery 1842-1911, 48 stones.
- St. Georges-St. Marks Cemetery -- Sandstones only, Mount Kisco
Articles Published in Periodicals about Westchester's Cemeteries
Many historical and genealogical societies have published articels about Westchester cemeteries over the years as well as lists of interrments. A review of PERSI can identify many of these articles or you can view the attached listing. Instructions are also included as to how to obtain a copy of an article.
LDS Family History Library
There are many cemeteries which were transcribed and are currently on microfilm and available through your local LDS Family History Center. As we become aware of their microform information, they will be added here.
- Colonial Cemetery of Elmsford (Elmsford Reformed Church Cemetery)
- Microfilm Number: 2031124, Items 1-7.
Transcribed Cemetery Inscriptions
The Westchester County Historical Society has many of the following books and manuscripts and many of these can also be found at the Genealogy and Local History Room of the New York Public Research Library or at The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. Additionally, secondhand book sellers and/or genealogical publishers may have copies for sale.
- The Jay Cemetery, Rye, New York
- ___. A History of the Town of Lewisboro, Westchester County .
- Pages 537 to 554 of this book contain a list of all cemeteries located within the town and an alphabetized listing of those buried at these cemeteries. The book is available for sale through South Salem Public Library. For the library address see the town of Lewisboro.
- Haviland Cemetery, Pleasant Ridge St., Harrison, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n.]
- Carretta, Katherine A., compiler.
- A Guide to Listings of Old Cemetery Inscriptions and other Genealogical Aids for Westchester County, New York. [Westchester County Historical Society, 1977]
- Dale cemetery, Ossining, N.Y
- The Dale cemetery, (at Claremont, near Sing-Sing,) its incorporation, rules and regulations, and th dediction addresses. [New York: Casper C. Childs, 1852]
- Eardeley, William A., compiler.
- Westchester County, New York, Cemeteries... 1704-1914. [Brooklyn, 1914]. Contains inscriptions on tombs from Armonk, Bedford, Westchester, Croton, Mt. Kisco, Chestnut Ridge, Harrison, Mamaroneck, and Eastchester. Published 1914.
- Inscriptions from the Lent family cemetery, town of Cortlandt, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher .s.n. ]
- Eardeley, William A., and Robert B. Miller, compilers.
- St. Mark's Episcopal Cemetery, Mt. Kisco, NY [Mount Kisco, NY: 1939]
- Eardeley, William A. and Isabel R. Voorhees
- Cemetery on Beck Hill, Lewisboro, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1941]
- Floro-Khalaf, Jenny and Cynthia Savaglio
- Mount Carmel and Queen of Heaven Cemeteries [Arcadia Publishing, 2006]
- Folks, Mrs. Charles W.
- Inscriptions from the Cat Ridge Cemetery, North Salem Township, Westchester County, New York [Publisher s.n., 1934 ]
- Frost, Josephine C.
- Most of the cemetery Inscriptions in the following volumes were originally copied by Robert B. Miller, a genealogist. His manuscripts came into the hands of Mrs. Frost who then typed them around 1915 and made them available in several libraries such as the New York Public Library (Research Branch) and the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.
- Cemetery Inscriptions from Westchester County, New York
- St. Marks Episcopal and Methodist Church Yards adjoining at Mt. Kisco
- Travis Cemetery, between Mt. Kisco and Bedford
- Reformed Dutch Yard, Elmsford
- Zarr Cemetery at Bedford
- Bethel Cemetery at Croton Village
- On road from Poundridge to Bedford
- Hobby-Peck on Amos Hobby farm, at Poundridge
- Hoyt Cemetery, on road from Poundridge to New Canaan, Ct.
- Cooke Property, Hastings on Hudson
- Murphy's Corners at Poundridge
- Cemetery Inscriptions from Shrub Oak, Westchester county, Yorktown, New York
- Cemetery Inscriptions from Westchester County, New York
- Cemetery inscriptions from Pleasantville, Westchester Co., New York [Publisher s.n., 1915]
- Cemetery inscriptions from Chappaqua, Tuckahoe & Scarsdale, Westchester County, New York [Publisher s.n., 1915]
- Haacker, Frederick. C., compiler.
- New Rochelle, NY, deaths 1853-1881: copied from the New Rochelle Press Almanacs, 1879-1882, and records of deaths in New Rochelle from account books of Cornelius Seacord, coffin maker. [ s.l.: Haacker, 1955]
- Haviland, Frank
- Cemetery inscriptions from Portchester, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1892 ]
- Horton, William P.
- Burials in Hillside Cemetery, Peekskill, Westchester Co., New York [Published 1928]
- Cemetery of Groveville Methodist Church, Dixie, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1918]
- Inscriptions from Hillside Cemetery, Peekskill, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1927]
- Cemetery at Amawalk, Westchester County, N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1925]
- Cemetery Inscriptions of Westchester County, NY. [Peekskill, NY: 1928]
- Inscriptions, Quaker Cemetery, North Castle, Westchester County, New York [Publisher s.n., 1920]
- Cemetery, Church of Divine Love, near Crugers, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1920 ]
- Cedar Hill Cemetery, Montrose, Westchester Co., N.Y., 2 miles south of Peekskill [Published 1925 ]
- Cemetery on Lafayette Ave., North Pleasantside, Westchester County, N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 1918 ]
- Cemetery on Wood St., Jefferson Valley, Westchester County, N.Y [Publisher s.n., 1917 ]
- A few old ones in Dale Cemetery, Ossining, Westchester Co., N.Y. [Publisher s.n., 19??'
- Tompkins Cemetery, 1 mile from end trolley line-east, Ossining, Westchester Co., New York [Publisher s.n., 19?? ]
- "Milton Cemetery records, Rye, Westchester county, NY" Daughters of American Revolution Magazine [Washington, DC], v.99, no. 4, whole no. 836 (April 1965), pp. 428-429; continued in subsequent numbers.
- Jordan, Mable and Natalie Seth, compilers.
- Tombstone records of 18 Cemeteries in Pound Ridge. Reprint of 1941 edition, with a comprehensive index of persons.
- Katz, B.
- Burial Grounds of North Salem in Westchester County, N. Y. [New York: North Salem Historical Society, 1976]
- Kriger, Malcolm.
- The Peaceable Kingdom in Hartsdale. [Rosywick Press] c. 1983. Regarding the Pet Cemetery in Hartsdale.
- Landgon van Norden, Theordore.
- South Salem: Gravestone Inscriptions c. 1926.
- Manville, Margaret.
- Revolutionary War Soldiers buried in Cemeteries in Westchester County, New York. [White Plains, NY: M.R. Manville, 1966]
- Miller, Robert B.
- Cemetery Inscriptions from Westchester County: Including Mt. Kisco, Bedford, Elmsford, Groton Village, Poundridge, New Canaan, Hastings-on-Hudson [Higginson Book Company, 1997]
- Cemetery Inscriptions from Westchester County: Towns of Unionville, Greenville, Hartsdale, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Ossining [Higginson Book Company, 1997]
- Miller, Robert Brown, and Josephine C. Frost
- Cemetery inscriptions from Shrubb Oak, Westchester County, Yorktown, New York [Publisher: J.C. Frost, 1915]
- Cemetery inscriptions from Somers, Westchester County, New York [Publisher J.C. Frost, 1915]
- Perry, William Graves.
- The Old Dutch Burying Ground of Sleepy Hollow in North Tarrytown, New York. [Boston, MA: Rand Press] c.1953.
- Rankin, Rebecca.
- Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. Cemetery. Person (sic) buried in the cemetery on Ashford Avenue, opposite Mohican Park Avenue, Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., property of the South Presbyterian Church in Greenburgh.... [Dobbs Ferry, NY: 1956]
- Spies, Francis F.
- Graveyard Inscriptions in Pleasantville and Hawthorne (formerly Unionville), Westchester Co., NY. Also a list of members, baptisms and marriages of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Hawthorne (Unionville); copied with additional genealogical notes. [Hastings-on-Hudson, NY: 1933]
- Inscriptions copied from gravestones in Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle, NY. ...with genealogical notes and index. [Mt. Vernon, NY: 1926]
- Inscriptions from the graveyards in New Rochelle, NY, transcribed and arranged with genealogical records... [Mt. Vernon, NY: 1926]
- Tombstone inscriptions in Oakwood cemetery: Mount Kisco, Westchester Co., New York
- Tombstone inscriptions in the Middle Patent rural cemetery: North Castle Township, Westchester Co., N.Y.
- Inscriptions copied from gravestones in West Chester County yards with genealogical notes.
- Inscriptions copied from graveyards in Bedford, Westchester County, New York. With genealogical notes. [Hastings-on-Hudson, NY: 1933]
- Inscriptions copies from Quaker burying grounds, with notes....
- Struble, Mildred E., comp.
- Burials in and around Pound Ridge, NY, 1860 to 1871; accounts of an undertaker, name unknown, probably High Ridge, just outside of Stamford, Conn. [n.p., 1947] Original ledger in the Archives of the Westchester County Historical Society.
- Weidt, Bew Patten, comp.
- Unrecorded Burial Permits of the Middle Patent Cemetery, town of North Castle, Westchester County, NY. [Mount Vernon, 1944]
Also, for some related links for cemeteries and funeral homes be sure to check out the following web sites:
- The Find-A-Grave web site is maintained by volunteers who add listings and photographs of tombstones. Westchester cemetery listing.
- The Political Graveyard
- Association for Gravestone Studies
- Funeral Homes
- http://www.funeralnet.com/search.html. Lists over 20,000 funeral homes throughout the USA.
- National Cemetery System, Veterans Administration:
- National Cemeteries in the United States
- Funeral Home Lising's by State: New York
- International Jewish Cemetery Project
- Cemetery Records on the Internet
This page was last updated: Tuesday, 14-Jun-2011 08:50:08 MDT
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2010 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.