Westchester County, NY
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:52:50 MDT
- County organized: 1683
- County seat: White Plains
There is also a brief county history on the County's own web pages: Westchester County History.
Some Historical Writings
- Pryer, Charles. The "Neutral Ground" [New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1898], Half Moon Series, Vol. II, No. 12, December 1898.
- Annexed to New York, an article from an 1873 issue of Harper's Weekly, concerning the annexation of the towns of Morrisania, West Farms, and Kings Bridge by New York City.
- The Heathcote Manor of Scarsdale — Address Written for the Tenth Annual Meeting of the The New York Branch of The Order of Colonial Lords of Manors in America Held in the City of New York, April 27, 1922 by Hon. Charles B. Wheeler of the New York Supreme Court [Baltimore: Williams & Wilkens Company, 1923]
- The Manor of Philipsborough — Address Written for The New York Branch of The Order of Colonial Lords of Manors in America by Edward Hagaman Hall, L.H.D. [Baltimore, 1920]
- The Borough Town of Westchester -- An Address Delivered by Fordham Morris, on the 28th day of October, 1896, before the Westchester County Historical Society, in the Court House, at White Plains, N.Y.
There are several major works devoted to the History of Westchester County, including those by Scharf, Bolton, and French. Please see the attached bibliography for the full names and citations of these books as well as many town histories. You can borrow many of these histories from your local library through InterLibrary Loan. Or, if you prefer to purchase a copy for your own library, search one of the many used and antiquarian book dealers on the Internet. The URLs of several such dealers can be found in the Other Resource Links of these Westchester pages.
New York History Net is a site devoted to the history of New York State and incorporates both educational and commercial aspects.
The following are some web sites dealing with history and touching on Westchester County:
- Loyalists were those colonists who supported the Britsh during the Revolutionary War. Some information regarding them is located at this web site at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.con/~nywestch/loyal.htm.
- The Native American Adventure
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.