Westchester County, NY
Some Military & War Links
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:49:28 MDT
[Revolutionary War] [Civil War] [WWI] [WWII] [Miscellaneous Items] [Rosters]
THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR
The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion or the "OR"
Cornell University, as part of their "Making of America" series, has put the ENTIRE -- over 60 volumes!!! -- series on the Internet!!! It includes scanned images of reports, correspondence, seizures of Southern property, etc. sent to the War Dept. during the Civil War. It includes both Union and Confederate accounts. It is in chronological order but there is no online index. Many libraries have the index. Find the volume and page number for your subject in the index at the library. Go to this web site: http://library5.library.cornell.edu/moa/ and use their search engine to locate any or a part of these volumes.
- New York Civil War Medal of Honor Recipients
- Civil War Medal of Honor Recipients
- The New York GenWeb Site of the Civil War
- NY & the Civil War
- New York in the Civil War, a part of the NYGenWeb site
- See Rosters section below.
WORLD WAR I
- New York Honors its World War I Medal of Honor Recipients
- NARA's Prologue
- For an interesting reading about World War I, see the article shown at: http://www.nara.gov/publications/prologue/ww1serv.html .
WORLD WAR II
Military & War Links:
- Cindy's New York Military List
- New York Regimental Units (Bibliography plus Web sites)
- State of New York, Division of Military & Naval Affairs
- Military History of NY State Militia Forces and Personages
- New York World War I Medal of Honor Recipients
- U.S. Army Center of Military History: Listings of Medal of Honor Citations
- U.S. Army Center of Military History
- With Full-text Listings of Medal of Honor Citations: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm
Published Military Rosters
Many historical societies have rosters of their residents who went off to fight in various wars. And you can often locate rosters of service men in a town's local newspapers. In Thomas Scharf's History of Westchester County, Chapter IX, many Civil War regiments are identified along with the volunteers who enlised.
The following two books were published in 1999:
- Wilt, Richard A.
- New York Soldiers in the Civil War: A-K, A Roster of Military Officers and Soldiers Who Served in New York Regiments in the Civil War [Heritage Books, Inc., April 1999]
- New York Soldiers in the Civil War: L-Z, A Roster of Military Officers and Soldiers Who Served in New York Regiments in the Civil War [Heritage Books, Inc.,June 1999]
Return to the Westchester in the Military page.
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
© 1996-2009 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.