Westchester County, NY
The 1899 Membership Register
for The Empire State Society, S.A.R.
Roll of Ancestors — H
This page was last updated: Thursday, 05-Apr-2012 09:50:53 MDT
Following are the records of the Revolutionary Ancestors of the Members. The names here printed in CAPITALS correspond to the names printed in italics in the Roll of Members; and the names here printed in italics, being the names of Members descended from these ancestors, respectively, correspond to the names printed in CAPITALS in the Roll of Members.
- TITUS HALL
- Born in Wallingford, Conn., Aug. 16, 1746; enlisted in Capt. Isaac Cook's Co., on the Lexington Alarm; promoted to Sergeant, Sept. 10, 1777; Lieutenant, July 1, 1779; served in Capt. Wilcox's Co., from Wallingford in the Corps of Artificers commanded by Col. Jeduthan Baldwin; engaged at Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, and other fields; transferred to Capt. Shephard's Co., Nov. 12, 1779. — Fredk. Allan Curtis.
- ALEXANDER HAMILTON
- Born Jan. 11, 1757, in Nevis, West Indies; died July 12, 1804, from wounds received in a duel with Aaron Burr; was Captain of Artillery in New York and New Jersey; the confidant of Washington, whose aide he was; performed distinguished service in various battles and retired with the rank of Colonel; in 1782 he was a member of Congress; in 1789 Secretary of the Treasury; retired from office in 1795, but continued the influential adviser of Washington, and others; was the leader of the Federal party and foremost in the party strife of 1801; and, thwarting his rival, Aaron Burr, became involved in the duel which terminated his life. — George Sullivan Bowdoin and Temple Bowdoin.
- JAMES HAMMOND
- A native of Westchester County, N.Y.; commissioned Lieutenant-Colonel of the 1st Regt. of that County's Militia, Oct. 19, 1775; reappointed to that position June 16, 1778. — Cornelius McLean, George Hammond McLean.
- ISAAC MULFORD HUNTTING
- Born in Easthampton, N.Y., Nov. 7, 1732; died in Stanfordville, N.Y., Feb. 3, 1812; an Associator in Easthamption in 1776; also First Lieutenant, 2d Co., 3d Regt., of Minutemen, 1776. — Dennis Church Pierce, John Harvey Pierce.
- SOLOMON HOBART
- Born in Hollis, N.H., July 21, 1760; died in Westford, Vt., April 6, 1849; served as guard at Portsmouth, N.H., one month in 1777, in Col. Cilley's Regt.; ten day in Daniel Emerson's Co., Col. Nichols' Regt.; and from August, 1778, to 1780, in Col. Flower's Regt. — Alvah Sabin Hobart.
- DAVID HOBBY
- Of Newcastle, N.Y.; Major in Westchester County, N.Y., Militia during the occupation of New York by the British. — Edward Fitch Bullard.
- JOHN HOBBS
- Born on Governor's Island, Boston Harbor, 1721; died in Brookfield, Mass., 1777; private in Capt. Asa Danforth's Co., Col. Convers' Regt., which marched from Brookfield, Sept. 23, 1777, to join Gen. Gates' Army; present at Burgoyne's capitulation; taken sick, returned home, and died in a few weeks from disease contracted in the army. — Nathan Guilford.
- STEPHEN HORTON
- Born in Yorktown, N.Y., April 30, 1731; died in Yorktown, N.Y., Dec. 7, 1814; served in 1781 in Capt. Henry Strang's Co., 3d Westchester Regt., of New York State Militia commanded by Col. Samuel Drake. — Stephen D. Horton.
- JOSEPH HOYT (HAIT)
- Born in Stamford, Conn., Aug. 2, 1725, died there, or in New Canaan, Conn., June 11, 1820; Captain in the 7th Connecticut Regt., July 6 to Dec. 10, 1775; in the 19th Regt. Connecticut Line, under Col. Webb, Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 1776; Major in the 8th Connecticut Line, Jan 1 to Sept. 15, 1777, when he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the same; served therein till October, 1779, when he was transferred to the 2d Regt.; served therein until Jan 1, 1781; was engaged at White Plains, Germantown, Fort Mifflin, Monmouth, and Stony Point, and shared the suffering at Valley Forge. — Arthur Fitch, James Seely Fitch, Theodore Fitch.
Return to the Empire State Society, SAR page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.