Westchester County, NY
The 1899 Membership Register
for The Empire State Society, S.A.R.
Roll of Members — A
This page was last updated: Thursday, 11-Oct-2012 13:00:40 MDT
Membership in the Society of the Sons of the American Revolution is based solely on lineal descent from an ancestor who assisted in securing the Independence of the United States, and wherever the Revolutionary services of collateral members of a family are given in the following pages, they are mentioned only as matter of interest, as are many other facts which in themselves constitute no ground for eligibility. Antecedent generations in the Revolutionary line, back to the immigrant ancestor, are given when they are on record in the Society's archives, as adding value to the book, but the absence of such antecedent lineage in other cases does not necessarily mean that the families can be traced no further, as the Society does not require that the line shall be given further back than the Revolutionary patriot. Every member has been requested to supply for this book his college degrees, military services, public offices and the other organizations to which he belongs, but where such data are lacking, allowance should be made in some instances for the inaccessibility of many members on account of the War with Spain, and in others for the fact that the sending of such information was entirely optional. In order to assist the eye, an index figure has been substituted for a repetition of the world "great" in generations more remote than great-grandson. Thus, "great²-grandson" means "great-great-grandson"; "great5-grandson" means "great-great-great-great-great-grandson," etc. The names of the lineal ancestors who participated in the Revolution are printed in italics, and refer to the corresponding names in the "Roll of Ancestors." The numbers set opposite each member's name are his State and National Numbers respectively.
[Web Editor's Note: Besides showing the Ancestor's name in italics, I've linked the name to that on the corresponding page showing the Ancestor's name and information.]
CHARLES FRANCIS ADMAS [State: 1129; National: 10529] Buffalo, N. Y.
City passenger and ticket agent of Erie R. R. Co. Born Salisbury, N. Y., March 28, 1861. Member of Masonic bodies. Son of David R. Adams and Hannah Starkey; grandson of John Adams and Prudence White.
GEORGE B. ADAMS [State: 1241; National: 10941] Geneseo, N. Y.
Lawyer. Born Geneseo, N. Y., Jan. 20, 1862. Degree of B. A. from University of Rochester. Son of James B. Adams and Helen R. Godard; grandson of Ephraim Adams and Lavinia Morey; great-grandson of Samuel Morey and Mary Freeman; gt2-grandson of Thomas Morey and Sarah, his wife; gt3-grandson of Jonathan Morey and Elizabeth Swift; gt4-grandson of Jonathan Morey and Hannah Bourne; gt5-grandson of Roger Morey, immigrant ancestor, and Mary Johnson.
[State: ; National: ]
- STEPHEN Le GRAND ABBEY > [State: 740; National: 8440] Kingston, N. Y.
- Grace and flour dealer. Born, Rondout, N. Y., Jan. 30, 1853. Formerly Alderman of Kingston, and Alms Commissioner for Third Ward. Member of the Rondout Club and New York Produce Exchange. Son of Stephen Abbey and Caroline Vail; grandson of Elias Vail and Anne Aylworth; great-grandson of Isaac Vail and Elanor Furguson; gt2-grandson of Israel Vail and Rebecca Hubbard; gt3-grandson of Moses Vail and Phebe, his wife; and gt4-grandson of George Vail, who was born in England, and came to America about 1680, settling at Huntington, L. I.
- ALBERT CUTLER ABBOTT [State: 587; National: 5387] Buffalo, N. Y.
- Manufacturer. Born, Andover, Mass., Oct. 10, 1836. Son of Albert Abbott and Abby H. Cutler, grandson of Wm. A. Abbott and Hannah Bailey; great-grandson of Bigsby A. Abbott and Hepzibah Ames.
- WILLIAM EELLS ABBOTT [State: 934; National: 8884] Syracuse, N. Y.
- Banker and manufacturer. Born Lowville, N. Y., Jan. 19, 1822. Supervisor of Eight ward of Syracuse for three years; inspector of Onondaga Penitentiary for three years. Member of Onondaga Historical Association, and Congregation Club of Western and Central New York. Son of Paul Abbott and Patty Eells; grandson of William Abbott and Esther Green; great-grandson of Caleb Abbott and Elizabeth Paine; gt2-grandson of William Abbott and Elizabeth Gray; gt3-grandson of George Abbott and Hannah Chandler. Elizabeth Gray was a granddaughter of Mary Chilton and John Winslow.
- CHARLES LEE ABELL [State: 779; National: 8479] Buffalo N Y.
- President, Marine Elevator Co. Born Buffalo, N. Y., Oct. 4, 1856. Formerly Lieutenant-Colonel, N. G. N. Y. Member of F. & A. M., Knights Templars, Scottish Rite, Mystic Shrine, Buffalo Consistory S. P. R. S., Buffalo Club of Buffalo, and United Service Club of New York. Son of Wm. H. Abell and Eliza Lee; grandson of Thomas G. Abell and Rhoda Hawks; great-grandson of Thomas Abel and Eunice Griswold.
- DAN WILLIAMS ABELL [State: 780; National: 8480] Buffalo N Y.
- Merchant. Born Dunkirk, N. Y., Feb. 18, 1851. Son of Caspar K. Abell and Jane E. Williams; grandson of Moseley W. Abell and Ruth Baldwin; great-grandson of Thomas Abel and Eunice Griswold. The sons of Thomas Abel added another "l" to their name after moving from Vermont to New York State.
- HENRY ANSTICE [State: 493; National: 4593] Philadelphia, Pa.
- Clergyman. Born, New York City, Oct. 7, 1841. Degrees of A.M. from Williams College and D.D. from University of Rochester. Rector of St. Luke's Episcopal Church. Son of Henry Anstice and Mary Saltonstall; grandson of Nathaniel Saltonstall and Lucretia Lampheer; great-grandson of Nathaniel Saltonstall, Sr., and Lucretia Latimer.
- JOSIAH ANSTICE [State: 476; National: 4576] Rochester, N. Y.
- Manufacturer. Born, Yonkers, N. Y., July 27, 1853. Member of Rochester Historical Society, Genesee Valley Club, and Country Club of Rochester, and many others. Son of Henry Anstice and Mary Saltonstall; grandson of Nathaniel Saltonstall and Lucretia Lampheer; great-grandson of Nathaniel Saltonstall, Sr., and Lucretia Latimer.
Return to the Empire State Society, SAR page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
Copyright © 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.NYGENWEB's Westchester County URL: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nywestch/
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.