Westchester County, NY
This page was last updated: Sunday, 14-Oct-2012 11:10:16 MDT
Vital Records were not mandated by New York State until 1880. However, the law was not enforced utnil about 1917. If you are looking for a birth, marriage, or death record prior to this time period, you must contact the clerk's office of the town, city, or village in which the event was registered. Also check the church or synagogue where the event may also have been registered.
New York State has a 50 year restriction on death records, 75 year restriction on birth records and 100 year restriction on divorce records.
An index are availble for Births (1881-1933), Marriages (1881-1958), and Deaths (1880-1958). For locations where they are available in New York State, please read the three blog postings of Dick Hillibrand in his Upstate New York Genealogy Blog. In reading the blog postings you can learn which library will search the index for you when you make a request via email. Once your have the information in the index, you would then only need to send to either NY State or to the local municipality to request the record.
UPDATE: In September 2012, Dick Hillibrand mentioned on his Upstate New York Genealogy Blog that the New York State Archives has begun collaboring with the web firm Archives.com to place the vital records indices for New York State online.
Contact the NY State Dept. of Health to learn how you can obtain birth, death and marriage records: http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm.
Please note that, for the following cities, you must contact their City Clerk's registrar directly since they are not likely to be filed at the state level:
- Yonkers — see below.
- New York City (all five boroughs)
For Yonkers, contact the Registrar of Vital Statistics, City Hall, Yonkers, NY 10701 and inquire about their fee structure.
Westchester County Clerk's Office
The main office of County Clerk's office is located in White Plains and their webpages can be found at www.westchesterclerk.com.
- 110 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Street
- (formerly Grove Street)
- White Plains, NY 10601
- Phone: 914-285-3080
Westchester County Archives
- 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523
- Phone: 914-592-1925
- Marriage Records, 1908-1935 Personal Name Index
- Online Indexes
Some links giving information concerning Vital Records are:
- - Land Records in Westchester County
- http://www.westchesterclerk.com/ and click on ":Land Records" in the orange-colored menu bar.
- - VitalCheck.com
- - Cindy's List, New York Records
- - New York Indorsed Land Papers, 1643-1676
- Marriage Index for The Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow
- The church is in Sleepy Hollow (formerly North Tarrytown), Westchester County, NY. See the index to the marriage records covering the years 1698 to 1785 (plus one entry in 1788 and one entry in 1790). If you find a marriage record of interest to you, Jean Ann Lupinetti will provide you with the full entry for that marriage record.
Return to Westchester County's Town Index page.
Return to the main page for Westchester County at NYGenWeb.
Return to the NYGenWeb web site.
© 1996-2012 Cathy Horn. All rights reserved.
This web site was designed by and has been exclusively maintained since November 1996 by Cathy Horn.