Search billions of records on

1889 Shipping items from the

 Timaru Herald - South Canterbury's newspaper 

South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project

The Timaru Herald 3 Dec. 1870
Sailed 30 November - Maori, s.s., 118 tons, Malcolm, for Lyttelton. Passengers - Mr G. Campion, Mrs Beldy, Mrs Smith and three children, and five in the steerage.

Timaru Herald Wednesday 7th Dec. 1870
Port of Timaru Arrived Dec. 3 - Maori, s.s., 188 tons, Malcolm, from Lyttelton. Passengers - Mr and Mrs Cuff.

Thursday January 1889
Port of Timaru
Arrived. Jan. 3 - Grafton s.s., 297 tons, Nordstrum, from Northern ports. Passengers - Miss Cooke and Mr Aschman. Bringing in 150 tons including 182 woolpacks and 104 bales cornsacks.

Timaru Herald Thursday 5 January 1889
A young man who gave his name as Albert Sinclair, who arrived in Dunedin by the Ruapehu last trip, was committed for trail by obtaining money by false pretences. He joined the ship at Gravesend. His name is believed to be Harry Marks.

Thursday 17 January 1889
Arrived Jan. 26 - Fijian, s.s., 496 tons, French, from Newcastle with 900 tons coal.

Friday 18 January 1889
The s.s. Fijian was well clear of coal by last night, is to take in cargo of Mount Somers stone, and leave for the South to-night.

Monday 21 January 1889
Auckland Jan, 20
The German warship Eber arrived from Soma last night.
The RMS Tainui sailed for Wellington this morning. She has on board frozen meat for the London market, 306,000 lbs and comprising 1969 lambs, 130 head of cattle, and 2860 sheep.

Tuesday 22 January 1889
The rig of the New Zealand Shipping Company's vessel Rakaia was, while in London this trip, altered from that of a ship to that of a barque.

Friday 25 January 1889
Port of Lyttelton
Jan. 24 - The Ruapehu sailed for London via Rio Janeiro, this afternoon, with 19 saloon, 19 second and 28 steerage passengers, and a full cargo including 13 boxes of gold, 33,000 frozen sheep, 2236 bales of wool and 2247 kegs butter.

Timaru Herald Monday 28 January 1889
Port Chalmers Arrived
The Kaikoura, RMS, Captain Crutchley, R.N. She brings 2340 tons of cargo and 89 passengers, 253 bags of mail and 23 parcels post for New Zealand, having landed 63 passengers and 310 tons of cargo at Hobart. She left Plymouth on Dec. 15. Her time is 41 days 16 hours and 26 minutes deducting 1 day and 8 hours 55 minutes , her total actual steaming time amounts to 40 days 7 hours and 31minutes. The personnel of her officers remains unchanged.

Thursday 31 January 1889
The Loweswater will be a full ship today. The barque was gay with bunting yesterday in honor of the marriage of Mr Geo. Shirtcliffe manager of the C.F. Association, the vessel's agents.

Sailed - Jan. 30 - Rangitiki, ship, 1188 tons, Taylor, for London. The Titian took her in tow.

Thursday 31 January 1889
Oamaru, Jan. 30.
The barque Himalaya sailed for London last night with a cargo of wool, valued at 70,000.

Monday 4 February 1889
Port of Timaru Sailed
Feb. 3 - Mahinapua, s.s., 205 tons, Stott, for Northern Ports.
Feb. 3 - Loweswater, barque, 603 tons, Fletcher, for London. with 3100 bales wool, 120 sacks wheat, and a few bales of skins. She was towed to sea very early yesterday morning by the p.s. Titan.

Port Chalmers
Arrived- Feb. 3 - Hudson, barque, Captain Kemp, from Glasgow. She brings 1100 tons of cargo and 7 passengers. She was 104 days on the voyage and experienced exceptionally fine weather.

Wednesday 6 February 1889
Port of Timaru
Feb. 4 - Zillab, ketch, 45 tons, Page, from Gisborne
Feb. 5 - Brunner s.s., 340 tons, Ewen, from the South
Feb. 5 - Grafton, s.s., 297 tons, Nordstrum, from Lyttelton. Passengers - Mesdames Stokes, Grahame and Cowan. Misses Elmsley, Hudson (2), Murphy, Salek, Priest and Wildermoth, Messrs Jackson, Cooper, Cowan, and Priest.
Feb. 5 - Janet Nicoll, 489 tons, Henry, from Lyttelton.

Feb. 5 - Bunner, for West Coast ports and way ports with a small load inward, left after taking in 60 tons of milling stuff for Westland.
Feb. 5 - Grafton for the South. She took away about 2000 sacks of oats to Port Chalmers for transhippment to Melbourne.

Thursday 7 February 1889
Arrived - Feb 6 - Elderslie, s.s. 3750 tons, Cuthbert, from London, via Australian ports and Oamaru.
Feb. 6 - Comet, ketch, 53 tons, Jacobsen, from Lyttelton, in ballast.
The tug Titan went out to Patiti reef to meet the Elderslie her, but had to wait some time before the big boat hove in sight.

The launching of two fine vessels for the Australian trade, the Liverpool (at Port Glasgow on the 7th December), a four masted iron sailing ship of 3390 tons net register, with a carrying capacity of 5000 tons dead-weight cargo on Lloyd's free-board; and the Port Caroline (at Low Walker, on 4th December) a steel steamship, of a capacity of 6000 tons measurement cargo. The Liverpool will sail with her first cargo from London to Melbourne. The Port Caroline belongs to the Milburn line.

Friday 8 February 1889
The Elderslie was loaded in 17 hours, or at the rate of nearly 550 per hour The shipment: 6631 sheep, weighing 413.776lbs, or an average of 62.40lbs each; 2647 lambs, weighing 96,577lbs, average 36.46lbs each.

S.S. Elderslie, built 1884. Early ships were converted but S.S. Elderslie was purpose-built, taking emigrants out to New Zealand and bringing frozen meat back. She was wrecked in 1905.

Saturday 9 February 1889
Port of Timaru
The following vessels are out from this port to London and their number days out is respectively:
Clytie 148
Cairnsmore 113
Inch Keith 95
Closeburn 52
Camana 51
Loweswater 5
The Barquentine Clytie ought to have turned up before now - 148 days out.

Port Chalmers
Sailed - Feb. 7 - Jessie Readman, Captain Gibson, for London. She took 4622 bales wool, 23 do skins, 201 do flax, 19 do rags, 4 do basils.

Monday 11 February 1889
Port of Timaru
Feb. 9 - Grafton, s.s., 297 tons, Nordstrum. from the South. Passengers - Mesdames Dunlop, Parmenter, Mahoney, and McNab, Misses Patterson, McKerras, Osborne, Smart, Emerson, Mullins, Holdgate, Price, and Thompson, Rev. A. Adams, Messrs Atkinson, and Adamson.

Monday 11 February 1889
William Betts, ex-fireman of the Janet Nicoll, was, for the third successive day, charged with drunkenness in the streets. The prisoner had a few pounds but had drunk it all, and only had 6d left. Fined 3 or seven days imprisonment.

Tuesday 12 February 1889
The was purchased for Titan at 3500. The Titan arrived in Melbourne a new boat bout 1873, and was for a few months employed in towing large vessels from Port Philip Heads to Williamstown and Sandridge. In 1874 she was purchased by the Westland Steam Tug and Freight Company for towing at Hokitika, the price paid being 7600. She was well and faithfully built, and at the time our harbour board took her over, in 1882, had received a thorough overhaul on the Lyttelton slip, and ran here for some years with very little expended upon her for repairs. Her engines at the present time are in good order. The boiler and hull may require an overhaul. A new tug would cost 10,000 to 12,000. William Evans.

Friday 15 February 1889
Port Chalmers
Sailed - Feb. 14 - Laira, barque, Captain Hughes, for London, with 3259 bales wool, skins, and flax.

Feb. 14. Arrived - Auriga, barque, Captain Stone, 103 days from London.

Saturday 16 February 1889
The barque Ganymede will complete her loading for London this afternoon and will get underway tomorrow.

Port Chalmers
Arrived. Feb. 15 - Pukaki, s.s., Captain Fielding, from Adelaide.

Feb. 15 - Elderslie, s.s., Captain Cuthbert, from London, with 1743 bales of wool, 13 do skins, 13 do basils, 101 packages of sundries, and 28,586 carcasses of mutton. Passengers - Mr and Mrs Halford, Mr James Lilly.

Wellington, Feb. 15
Arrived - Euterpe, ship, Bowling, 103 days, from London.

Monday 15 February 1889
Port of Timaru
Sailed Feb. 17 - Ganymede, barque, 559 tons, Alleston, for London with 2968 bales wool, 12 bales skins, and 2 cases. She was towed out. In the roadstead a steady breeze was picked up, and by noon the Ganymede was pretty well hull down.

Thursday 21 February 1889
Hobart Feb. 29
Arrived, the Tongariro from Plymouth via the Cape. She has 16 passengers for Australia and 66 for New Zealand ports.

Wednesday February 1889
Port of Timaru
Arrived Feb. 26 - Mahinapu s.s., 205 tons, Rodd, from Northern Ports. Passengers - Misses Cooper and Rodgers.

Mr Rudolph Haigh, senr., accompanied by Mrs Haigh and family, left Timaru last evening by the s.s. Mahinapu for Port Chalmers, where they catch the s.s. Manapouri and by her proceed to Melbourne. In the musical circles in Timaru the talented family known collectively as "Haigh's Band," will be greatly missed. Mr Rudolph Haigh, junr., has been in Melbourne for many weeks, is doing well in his profession (the legal), and Miss Kate Haigh is prosecuting her musical studies.

Friday 1st March 1889
Port of Timaru
Arrived Feb. 28 - Paula, brigantine, 284 tons, Breymaine, from Lyttelton. The German, brigantine, Paula, of Papenburg, which left Lyttelton on Wednesday hove into sight yesterday morning,. The wind was dead and the Titan went out a few miles to meet and fetch her in, and by noon she was at the Moody wharf. The Paula is last from Mauritius with sugar for Dunedin and Lyttelton. She comes here to load wheat for the United Kingdom on account of the Kaiapoi Milling Company. She has 1000 sacks aboard, obtained at Lyttelton, and fills up here with about 3000 more. Mr D. Stuart is shipping the grain.

Monday 4 March 1889
Port of Timaru
Arrived March 3 - Mathilde Hennings, barque, 523 tons, Dade, from New York, via Port Chalmers and Lyttelton. The Titan, Captain Clarkson speedily had her fast to the outer bouys. The Mathilde Hennings has 2000 sacks wheat onboard shipped at Lyttelton and will complete loading this cereal at Timaru. She is a handy looking vessel.

Cleared March 2 - Paula, barquentine, 284 tons, Breymaine, for London.

Tuesday March 1889
The barquentine, Paula, was cleared for Queenstown yesterday with 2772 sacks wheat from this port and 960 from Lyttelton.

Wellington, March 4
Arrived - Brahmin, ship, Captain McKenzie, 95 days, from London.

Thursday 7 March 1889
Port Chalmers -
Arrived March 6 - Oamaru, ship, Captain Boorman, after an uneventful passage of 111 days from London, 91 days from the Lizards. She brings 1991 tons of cargo, 477 of which is for Napier.

Monday 11 March 1889 Port of Timaru
March   9 - Grafton, s.s. 297 tons, Nordstrom, from Dunedin
March 10 - Louise, schooner, 85 tons, from Lyttelton
March 10 - Spray, schooner, 50 tons, Palesson, from the South
March 10 - Invercargill, s.s., 136 tons, Sandstrum, from Invercargill. The little steamer Invercargill arrived with a cargo of timber.

Expected Arrivals
Earlscourt, barque, 1115 tons, from Sydney (left March 6th)
Port Chalmers
March 9 - Acacia, barque, Captain Herbert, from Hobart
March 9 - Westland, ship, Captain Scotland, 77 days, from Glasgow
March 9 - Beautiful Star, from Oamaru
March 9 - Lizzie Ellen, schooner, from Fortrose
March 9 - Isabella Anderson, schooner, from the West Coast

March 9 - Mararoa, for the Bluff
March 9 - Hauroto, for Timaru

Wellington, March 9
Arrived - H.M.S. Royalist from Auckland

Tuesday 12 March 1889
The Union Company's s.s., Hauroto came to the wharf early yesterday morning. She brought a few passengers but no cargo.

Arrived - March 10 - Hauroto, s.s., 1276 tons, McIntosh, from Dunedin. Passengers - Mrs Palmer and child, Miss Dunn, Dr McIntyre, Messrs Adams, Bowles, Rinn and Stevens, and one steerage. She sailed at 6 last evening for Sydney via Lyttelton, taking 160 tons of flour and wheat and the following passengers: for Wellington: Mrs and Master Anderson.
For Sydney: Mr and Misses Cornish (3), Miss Bowker, Mrs Plante and family, Mr and Mrs Winning and family.

Wednesday 13 March 1889
Port Chalmers - Arrived
March 12 - Arawa, Captain Stuart. She left Plymouth at 6 p.m. on Jan 26th; Teneffie at 8 pm. on the 31st;; Capetown at 5 p.m. on Feb. 16th; Hobart at noon on March 7th. She brings 2000 tons of cargo and 162 passengers.

Wednesday 13 March 1889
In the Hauroto, N.M. and A. Company, agents. 276 tons flour, 3000 sacks bran and sharps, 1500 sacks wheat, 6 casks beef. Shippers - Timaru Milling Company, Evans and Co., Kaye and Carter, N.Z.L. and M.A. Company, R. Morgan.

Vessels Outbound 	 		Days Out
Closeburn 	(Capt. Johnson) 	86
Camana 		(Capt. Worrall) 	85
Rangitiki 	(Capt. Taylor) 		43
Loweswater 	(Capt. Fletcher) 	39
Ganymede 	(Capt. Alleson) 	25
Paula 		(Capt. Breymann) 	10

The barque Kinclune left Lyttelton on Monday for this port to load for London.

Thursday 14 March 1889
March 13 - Mawhera, s.s., 340 tons, Hill, from Dunedin
March 13 - Earlscourt, barque, Anton, 1113 tons, from Sydney
March 13 - Kinclune, barque, 718 tons, Creigton, from Lyttelton.

The barque Earlscourt, from Sydney, was seen anchored near the beach six or seven miles to the northward of the roadstead. The Titan went out and brought her in. The Earlscourt, a fine large barque of 1113 tons register, with a carrying capacity of 1800 tons, left Sydney on the 2nd inst. She comes to load gain for the United Kingdom.

The barque Earlscourt, of Greenock, 1113 tons register, built at Port Glasgow in 1885, is now on her third voyage. She is a very large carrier, having discharged 1842 tons weight in California last voyage, and 1793 tons of wheat from Portland, Oregon. She left Sydney on the 2nd. inst.

Mr John Britton, carpenter of the Earlscourt, and Gedye, eldest son of (late Gedye and White) helped to rescue Mrs Powell, a Timaru citizen who had fallen off the gangway.. Her clothes kept her afloat.

Wednesday 20 March 1889
Sailed: March 19 - Mathilde Heenings, barque, 526 tons, Dade, for the United Kingdom.

Monday 25 March 1889 Arrived
March 23 - Grafton, s.s., 297 tons, Nordstrum, from Dunedin. Passengers - Miss Chitty, Messrs Khon, Smith and Gabites, and Dr Reid, and two in steerage.

Timaru Herald Tuesday March 1889
The s.s. Arawa, which sails for England from Lyttelton, on the 4th prox., already has every berth on the first and second saloon booked by intending passengers. Some may be globe trotters returning Home, but many are colonists who are able to afford "a run Home." We hope they will enjoy themselves, yet be glad to get back again.

Saturday March 1889
Oamaru, March 29
Sailed - Dunedin, ship, Captain Roberts, with a cargo of meat, wool, wheat, etc. for London.

Thursday 4 April 1889
Several changes of captains have taken place on some of the Union Company's steamers. Captain Manning of the Oreti takes the Rosamond and Captain Ryan, late of the Koranui, has been transferred to the Oreti. Captain Crawshaw has command again of the Wainui, while Captain Oliver will have command of the Mawhera in her new trade, Captain Hill taking the Koranui.

Friday 5 April 1889 Lyttelton, 4 April
The steamship Arawa, sailed this afternoon for London, with 73 saloon, 48 second cabin and 63 steerage passengers, and a full cargo of frozen meat, cheese, wool, and other produce.

Timaru Herald
Wednesday 10 April 1889
Wellington, April 9. Arrived the Ionic from London. She left Plymouth on Feb. 23rd.

Monday 15 April 1889
The barque Camana, which left this port on December 19th, has arrived Home after a rather lengthy passage of 115 days. She sailed a day after the barque Closeburn, both having a quick despatch, the Closeburn beating her in the run Home by 8 days.

Monday 16 April 1889
Sydney, April 15
The Tekapo sailed for Wellington at half-past six o'clock this evening with Lord Onslow's family on board.

Thursday 18 April 1889 pg3
Hobart, April 13
The NZSCo's Rimutaka sails for Wellington tomorrow. She brings 13 passengers for Australia, and 62 for New Zealand, including Sir John Hall and Lady Hall, and Lord and Lady Ribblesdale.

Thursday 18 April 1889 pg4
Captain Clarkson, harbourmaster reported the arrival of 24 steamers and 8 sailing vessels, of an aggregate registered tonnage of 13,303 tons, and departure of 23 steamers and 5 sailing vessels, during March. F.W. Marchant, A.M. Inst. C.E.

Saturday 20 April 1889
Vessels Homeward Bound 				Days Out
Rangitiki 		(Capt. Taylor) 		81
Loweswater 		(Capt. Fletcher) 	77
Ganymede 		(Capt. Alleson) 	63
Paula 			(Capt. Breymann) 	39
Mathide Hennings 	(Capt. Dade) 		33

Wednesday 24 April 1889 Death
Two names familiar to Timaru ears appear in the passenger list of the San Francisco boat Mariposa, outward bound - Messrs F.S. Smithson and Wakefield.

Auckland, April 23
Sailed - Mariposa, from Auckland for San Francisco. Passengers from New Zealand - 
Bloomfield 	Mr and Mrs 
Dalziel 	Mr
Doole 		Mr
Duckworth 	Mr and Mrs
Garland 	Mr
Halledge 	Mr
Hayman 		Mr
Heune 		Mr
Jones 		Mr
McIntyre 	Captain 
Mendelsohn 	Mr
Nelson 		Misses
Nelson 		Mr
Smithson 	Mr F.S. 
Thomas 		Mr and servant
Townsend 	Mr
Wakefield	Mr
Wood 		Mr
Ware 		Mr
and 40 in steerage

Saturday 4 May 1889 pg 4
In the Shaw Savill and Albion Company's R.M.S.S. Ionic which left Lyttelton for London on Thursday were the following passengers from this district:

Mr Edward Elworthy
Mr George Hartley
Mr John Jackson
Mr Joshua Jackson
Mr Richard Knowles
Mr R.H. Knowles
Mr H.P. McCleland
Mr Archibald McNiven
Mr James Rae

In the course of twelve months the San Francisco steamers carried (inward) 369 passengers, and Outward 716. The direct steamers carried 4469 passengers and (outward) 1864. Among the inward were 774 Government immigrants.

Thursday 2 May 1889
Vessels Homeward Bound 				Days Out
Rangitiki 		(Capt. Taylor) 		97
Loweswater 		(Capt. Fletcher) 	93
Ganymede 		(Capt. Alleson) 	79
Paula 			(Capt. Breymann) 	64
Mathide Hennings 	(Capt. Dade) 		49
Kincluune 		(Capt. Crighton)	 8
Earlscourt		(Capt. Anton)		 5

Wednesday 8 May 1889
Port Chalmers, May 7
Arrived - Coptic from Plymouth via Capetown and Hobart. She brings 1734 tons of cargo and 61 passengers, 7 bags of mail and 20 cases pf parcel post. captain Burton is still in command, and amongst her other officers here has been a slight change. Mr Kempson, her late chief officer, has been transferred to the R.M.S Celtic and Mr Unsworth of the Celtic has taken his place. Dr McAskar succeeds Dr Humphreys and Mr Hays comes in the place of Mr Thornton as fourth officer. She left Plymouth on March 23. Landed 55 passengers and 184 tons of cargo at Hobart.

Thursday May 1889 Arrived London
ship - Jessie Redman, Port Chalmers (Feb. 8th)
barque Algoa Bay, from Wellington (Feb. 8th)
ship Blenheim, from Wellington (January 12th)
barque Hampshire, from Lyttelton (Feb. 2nd)
ship Waitangi, from Auckland (Feb. 5th)
barque William Christian, from Oamaru (Jan. 5th)

Friday 10 May 1889 pg4
Measurement of Tonnage
By the Act of 1854 the internal space of a ship was measured and divided into tons of 100ft measurement. The net register of steam vessels was arrived at by a rough and ready way, based upon a percentage, and not by the actual space of the engine room and fuel being deducted. The present arrangement worked out that vessels delivered cargoes twice their net tonnage, and the harbours and docks found themselves unfairly treated to such extent. By the legislation of 1867, increased allowance was made for crew space, but, unfortunately, in drafting the Bill, parliament omitted specifically to repeal the arrangements of the 1854.

Monday May 13 1889 Ships Reported
Arrived England
barque Lavia, from Port Chalmers, Jan. 23rd
barque Helen Denny, from Wellington, Feb. 10th
ship Invercargill, from Napier, Jan. 31
barque Asterion, from Bluff harbour, Feb. 8th

Wednesday 15 May 1889
By cablegram. The ship Rangitiki and the barque Loweswater arrived at London on the 13th inst (Monday last). The Rangitiki (Feb. 1st) was 104 days out and the Loweswater 100. (Feb. 3rd)

Shipping Arrived London16
Barque Triton from Wellington, Feb. 19th
barque Lurline, from Lyttelton, Feb. 17th
barque Oscar from Auckland, Feb. 13th
barque Arundel from Bluff Harbour, Jan. 27th
ship Rangitiki from Timaru, Feb. 1st
ship Himalaya from Oamaru, Jan. 29th
ship Loweswater from Timaru, Feb. 3rd.

Thursday May 16 1889
On Tuesday the schooner Prince Rupert left Lyttelton for this port with a load of transhipments ex Hermione and Rimutaka.
The barque Triton, which arrived a few months ago in Wellington from Timaru, did the Home passage from the former port in 84 days - a rather smart passage.

Timaru Herald Saturday May 18 1889 pg3
Christchurch, May 17
On Wednesday last an explosion occurred on board the Wareatea, which arrived at Lyttelton to-day with Greymouth coal. When off Cape Farewell, Samuel Taylor, seaman, went down the hatch, and struck a match. An explosion of gas followed, and he was blown over the combings of the hatch on to the deck. He was fearfully burnt on the face. The force of the explosion was so great that the two hatches were blown overboard.

Monday May 27 1889
Port Chalmers
Arrived. May 25 - Loch Awe, ship, Captain Nicol, after an uneventful passage of 102 days, from London.
Wellington, May 25
Arrived Ruapehu, from London. She left Plymouth on April 6th, and on the 8th the wind increased to a heavy gale with tremendous sea which flooded the decks. Dr Morell Mackenzie, with his two daughters and son, were passengers by Ruapehu as far as Teneriffe, where they landed and remained, intending to spend a short holiday. The passenger list included as far as Capetown, the Searell Opera Company.

Tuesday May 28 1889
Nelson May 27
Arrived. Barque Glenlora, Captain Sargeant, from London, 106 days out.

Tuesday May 28
Albany, May 27
Arrived - Carthage from Plymouth. Passengers for New Zealand: Messrs Gordon, Scott and Donald.

The Times, 28 March 1872.Wednesday May 28 1889 page 2
What is the Clifford boat lowering device? Mr A.P. Clifford, of Dunedin, writes to the Star about an invention of his brother Charles (now dead) which he asserts has on several occasions proved most useful in saving life at sea, from the promptitude with which it enables a boat to be lowered, and he refers to the fatal accident of that kind on the last trip of the Alameda. He tells the following in connection with this invention. "Over twenty-five years back, after spending 600 in bringing my brother's boat lowering apparatus before the Steam Navigation Board of Melbourne, I induced that body to make it compulsory that all steamers leaving Melbourne should carry it. In the year 1872 I paid a visit to England. On my return to Melbourne in 1876 I went on board one of the New Zealand steamers and found none of her boats fitted with the apparatus. I was referred to Captain J. McLean. I asked him how it was the vessel was not provided with Clifford's apparatus as the Act required. He said she was provided. I told him I had examined all the boats, and not one was so fitted. He admitted such was the case, but the apparatus - that she did so carry it; it was down in the hold."

Clifford, Charles: How to Lower Ships' Boats. A treatise on the Dangers and Defects in the system at present in use, and their Remedy. To which is added A Description of new Improved Block, to be used for reducing and regulating strain, in lowering heavy bodies, and for other purposes. Simkin & Marshall, London, 1855. Other editions 1858 and 1859.

Friday May 31 1889
Wellington, May 29
The Ionic sailed for London, via Rio, at 4.30 this afternoon. She has a full cargo and a fair complement of passengers.
The ship Euterpe sailed for Port Pirie today, with 1500 tons of Westport coal.
Arrived - Eastlothian, ship, Captain Ross, 102 days, from London.

Wednesday June 5 1889
Hobart, June 4
The RMS Tainui arrived at noon. She has 72 passengers for Australia and 104 for New Zealand.

Thursday 6 June 1889
Red funnel line, the Mahinapua, 205 tons, Todd will call here in Saturday. From Dunedin for the North and West Coast ports.

Monday 10 June 1889
The schooner Awarna left this port last week, put into Dunedin on Monday to complete her crew and left again on Friday for the Macquarrie Islands.

Tuesday 11 June 1889
Wellington, June 10
The Tainui from Hobart arrived. She brings 11 bags of mails, 22 boxes of parcel post, 119 passengers, and a large general cargo. Amongst the passengers is the Rev. J. MacGregor, of St. Cuthberts, Edinburgh, who is on his way to the Victorian Presbyterian Jubilee.

Friday June 14 1889Wellington, June 13
Sailed - RMS Ruaphu for London via Rio Janeiro.

Monday June 17 1889
Arrived June 17 - Fifeshire, s.s., 3729 tons, Millar, from London, via Oamaru.
The S.S. Fifeshire is to arrive off the port this morning from London via Australian and Oamaru and is to come to the main wharf at once. She left London on April 7. The equator was crossed on the 21st. On the 2nd inst., in lat 33 deg. S., the Fifeshire had to contend against strong south-west gales and a heavy cross sea. The sea at intervals on one occasion washed over the steamer with terrific force and a boat was stove in and carried away, and a portion of the bulwarks also shared the same fate, but beyond flooding the refrigerating engine room no serious damage was done. AT this port the Fifeshire will take in a large quantity of frozen mutton, wool, etc.

Tuesday June 18 1889
The steamer Fifeshire was berthed at the outer end of the main wharf by the harbourmaster, Captain Clarkson. No time was lost in getting to work, and soon frozen mutton, tallow and wool, were being taken in at the hatches. The Fifeshire is expected to get away for London via Port Chalmers, today. Captain miller has Mr Duncan as his chief officer on this trip; that Mr Robson, formerly of the Elderslie, is second, and Mr Hart third officer. Mr Miller is still chief steward, and very kindly showed visitors over the saloon.

Wednesday June 19 1889
Exports. In the Fifeshire, N.Z. Shipping Company, agents; 8033 carcasses mutton, 352 bales wool, 8 bales skins, 100 sacks barley, 50 casks pelts, 27 cases frozen kidneys.

Wednesday June 19 1889
Wellington, June 18
The Kaikoura arrived from Plymouth, via Cape and Hobart. The voyage was protracted by squally and foggy weather.

Thursday June 20 1889
The barque Ganymede arrived in London yesterday, after a rather lengthy passage of 123 days.

There are twenty or thirty trucks of Mount Somers stone, and half a dozen trucks pressed straw on the Moody jetty, awaiting the arrival of the steamer Janet Nicoll, which is expected here to-day from Newcastle.

Friday June 21 1889
Arrived - June 20 - Janet Nicoll, 489 tons, Henry, from Newcastle, via Lyttelton. Bad weather. The captain said it was the roughest he was ever in between this colony and Australia.

Thursday June 20 1889
Timaru Harbour Board Monthly Meeting
Members present; Mr E. Acton (chairman), Captains Woolcombe, Sutter, Messrs Morris, Wilson, Flatman, Talbot and Manchester. Mr K.F. Gray, absence. Mr Sunnaway and other boatman wrote asking that a spot in the harbour be set apart for mooring fishing boats in.
The harbourmaster reported for May the arrival of 23 steamers, and 5 sailing vessels, aggregating 9422 tons, and departure of 23 steamers, and 6 sailing vessels, aggregating 10,735 tons.
Engineer's report - Breakwater. Slip. Taniwha - the dredge. Lyttelton wreck bouy - bell bouy. A 70lb bell had been ordered from Burt, of Dunedin, the cost of which would be 1s 6d per lb, 5 5s in all. Leading Lights. North Mole - nine month contract.

Thursday June 1889
Hobart June 25. The Doric from London via the Cape sails for Wellington tomorrow. She brings 87 passengers for Australian ports and 73 for New Zealand.

Friday June 29 1889
Wellington, June 27
Sailed the Tainui for London via Rio Janeiro.

Monday July 1 1889
Port Chalmers Sailed
Fifeshire, Captain Miller, for London, with 6 passengers, 4436 bales wool, skins, and flax. 226 sacks wheat, 60 sacks grass, 100 sacks barley, 2281 cases meat, 200 drums glycerine, 302 cases of cheese, 417 casks tallow, 10 quarter-casks of brandy, 15 cases of sundries, 25,040 carcasses of mutton, 846 quarters of beef, and 100 cases of kidneys.

Nelson, June 29
Cleared for London - Glenora, barque, Captain Sargent, loaded by Sclanders and Co. with 44,600 bushels of barley and 20 tons of flax.

Thursday 4 July 1889 pg2
Messrs W. Doxford and sons have launched from their yard at Pallion, a beautifully-modelled steamer, the Marmari, which they have built for Shaw-Savill, and Albion Company. She is built of steel with ceilular bottom fore and aft and is classed 100A1 at Lloyd's. She is 360ft long, 42ft broad and 31ft deep. Her engines are triple expansion three crank, the cylinders being 27in, 41in, and 71in, with 48in stroke, and are supplied with two large high-pressure steam boilers, which will give the vessel a mean speed of eleven knots loaded. The Marmari is fitted for the NZ meat trade with large refrigerating machinery, by Haslam Foundry Company of Derby, and will have insulated chambers fitted for 40,000 carcasses.  She is also fitted with Maginnis' patent steam-steering gear aft and five 7in by 10 in steam winches, with pelican gearing by Messrs Wellford Bros. of Pallion. During construction the vessel has been superintended by Captain J. McKirdy, of London, and machinery by Mr Carrick.

Friday 5 July 1889
Arrived Port of Timaru
July 4 - Annie Bow, barquentine, 250 tons, A. Campbell, from Newcastle.
July 4 - Herald, s.s., 376 tons, Jones, from Dunedin.

Vessels Homeward Bound 				Days Out
Kinclune 		(Capt. Crighton) 	67
Earlscourt 		(Capt. Anton) 		64

Mr Alex. White's barquentine, Annie Bow, Captain A. Campbell arrived after an eventful trip across. Captain Campbell has Mr Guy, second officer as his chief officer this trip. Mr Donald having left the vessel at Sydney; Mr R. Crossland is second officer. The vessel ran up his numbers off the Bluff and reported "all well."

Timaru Herald Friday 12 July 1889
When the barque Nortero, now in Auckland, left Lyttelton for Sydney in the middle of May last, when about 350 miles from land at night a green linnet flew on board, having evidently been blown out to sea from his native Canterbury plains. The exhausted little stranger sought shelter at the light of the gallery, where he was caught. The crew kept him, for lack of a better cage, in a rat trap, and brought him back to New Zealand with them.

Friday 19 July 1889Arrivals Port of Timaru
July 18 - Jessie Nicoll, s.s., 489 tons, Henry, from Newcastle, via Lyttelton
July 18 - Ashleigh Brook, s.s.., 1725 tons, Fauquier, from Rockhampton. This is her first visit to this port. She is not so capacious as the Fifeshire or Elderslie, but is a longer boat with less beam. She is a good model of the cargo boat. There are not many merely luxurious fittings about her. She is business like from stern to stern. Her dimensions are
Length: 325ft., beam 38ft., depth to spar deck 26ft., capacity of holds and 'tween decks, after insulation 123,000 cubic feet, registered tonnage 1735; nominal horsepower, ?300 or 800?, The steamer has on board 5000 tons of Queensland beef. She takes in here 6000 carcasses mutton and goes to Bluff to fill up.

Expected Arrivals
Rockwood, barque, from London, via Nelson about September.
Schooner - Opotiki, from Foxton
Spray, schooner, from North
Mahinapua, s.s., on Saturday, from Dunedin
Kabu, s.s., from Lyttelton from the Chatham Islands with sundaries.
Dingadee, from Westport with coals, on Saturday. On her maiden trip to New Zealand. She is chartered by the Union S.S. Company and was formerly in the Melbourne, Sydney and Queensland trade. She is nearly a new boat, built at Home in 1883and is about the same size and lines of the s.s. Waiaui - 3040 tons register, 640 gross, and has an actual carrying capacity of 700 tons. Speed from 10 to 11 knots an hour.

Monday 22 July 1889
Sailed from Port of Timaru July 29
Kabu, s.s., 99 tons, Romeril, for Napier.
Mahiupua, s.s., 265 tons, Todd, for the North
Brunner, s.s., 340 tons, Ewen, for the South
, s,s, 2704 tons, Anderson for Sydney via Wellington
Ashleigh Brook, s.s., 1725 tons, Fauquier, for London via Bluff

Wednesday 24 July 1889
Wellington, July 23
The Tainui, Homeward bound, left Rio Janeiro, on the 19th inst., with her meat in good condition.
Arrived - Craignar, barque, Captain Melvin 108 days, from Liverpool.

Thursday 1 August 1889
Wellington, July 31
The Arawa, which arrived from London last night had an uneventful passage. She brings 64 passengers for NZ. The officers are the same with the exception of Mr Moffat who has been appointed to command one of the Company's new steamers, the Marmari. Mr ?Prosser, late second officer has therefore been appointed chief officer, and Mr Holland, late of the steamer Tongariro is second.

Monday 5 August 1889
Arrived Port of Timaru
Aug. 3 - Mahinapua, s.s., 205 tons, Todd, from Dunedin
Aug. 4 - Elderslie, s.s., 3000 tons, Cuthbert, from London, via Australian and Oamaru way ports. She is inside the breakwater, Captain Clarkson, being in charge, and the Titan was on hand to assist in mourning the big boat. She will load carcasses here. She left London on May 14th and reached Palmas on the 22nd. After coaling at that port she left the same day and arrived at Freemantle on July 1st. Left again on the 8th, and took in coal at Albany on the 10th, and arrived at Adelaide on the 14th. She left for Melbourne on the 18th after discharging cargo and arrived at Hobson's Bay on the 29th. She left again on the 25th for Oamaru arriving there on Thursday. The Elderslie took in 9000 carcasses of mutton at Oamaru, leaving yesterday with the good fortune, the harbor being like a millpond.

Thursday 8 August 1889
The Union S.S. Company are evidently determined to keep pace with the times, and the already numerous and well-appointed "red funnel" fleet is being reinforced by a number of large steamers. The first of these (the s.s. Taieri) has been successfully launched, and is at present loading at Calcutta for this colony. Another fine craft is the s.s. Monowai, now in order. She is a powerful vessel of 3000 tons and is fitted for the carrying out of the inter colonial cargo and passenger trade. A large steamer, with a carrying capacity of 3000 tons, has likewise been ordered and will be put on a direct coal trade between Westport and Port Pirie, South Australia. A fourth vessel is in the course of construction, which is intended for the Melbourne- Fiji trade, to take the place rendered vacant by the loss of the s.s. Fijian recently. The Wainni is also superseded in this march of progress, for a special steamer to run the Auckland-Samoa services.

Tuesday 13 August 1889
One often hears of these colonies "cutting the cable," and getting along independently of the Old Country. The Sherrard Osborne has cut the cable for us, and we do not seem to get along very well without our daily budget of news from the antipodes.

Christchurch, August 16
Nelson, master of the Aparima, who was at Pigeon Bay, yesterday, was a native of Riverton.
Captain Gibson, of Lyttelton, has received the appointment of surveyor for the Bureau Veritas, otherwise French Lloyd's, for New Zealand.

The Aorangi brought a consignment of about 2000 weasels, which are consigned to the New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency Company.

The Cunard Steamship Company the largest and best equipped fleet in the world, proudly boast that during the many years of their incorporation they have never lost by shipwreck or accident the life of a single seaman or passenger. Dwellers in these colonies have no idea of the precautions taken by this company for the safety and comfort of passengers in the rough and boisterous Atlantic trade. Every berth carries a lifebelt (as do the ships of the Union Company), whilst patent life boats and rafts are stowed at every convenient corner of the deck.

Monday 19 August 1889
Oamaru Aug. 18. Arrived - Colonial Union Company's s.s. Bayley, last night, from London via Brisbane.

Monday 19 August 1889
Wellington, August 18
A pilot and two men drowned at the heads last night. Chief pilot T. Simms, and Herbert Cox and Robert Tait, two of the pilot crew. Shortly after dark, the ship Pleione, from Port Chalmers to Wellington, arrived off the heads and signalled for a pilot. Simms, with a crew of four comprising the two men drowned and John Henderson and James Dass, at once put off. A stiff southerly wind was blowing, with a short choppy sea, and this being dead ahead little progress was made. Shortly after 7 o'clock the steamer Herald, outward bound to Greymouth, hove in sight, and took the pilot boat in tow. All went well until the boat was abreast of the outer rock off Barrett's reef, when the boat yawed and capsized. As soon as the boat capsized she was released as the tow line was not made fast. All the men managed to get on to the bottom, and shortly afterwards the boat righted herself and for a second time the crew reached the boat, which is a lifeboat. Immediately the accident occurred Captain Jones returned with the Herald, and after considerable difficulty the boat with the whole crew was got alongside. Lines were passed over the side, and although caught by all, only Henderson and Dass appeared to have sufficient strength to hang on. the other three, either from exhaustion or becoming numb, released their grip and were washed away. A strict search was made, but none of them were seen again. The Herald returned to town with the survivors In the evening the Koranui found the boat abreast of the pilot station, and brought it into harbour. The steer-oar grummet was broken. Simms leaves a wife and six or seven children. Tait is a single man and a native of the Shetland Islands. Pilot Simms was formerly harbour, and only recently succeeded Pilot Holmes at the Heads. Captain Halliday, harbourmaster, proceeded to the scene of the accident in the steamer Mana this morning.

Monday 26 August 1889
London, August 24
Arrived - Sardhana, barque, from Lyttelton (April 24th)

Wednesday 28 August 1889
Port Chalmers
Arrived - August 27 - Nelson, ship, Captain Bannatyne, 95 days, from London.
Sailed - S.S. Bayley, for London, via the Bluff, with about 215,000 carcasses of frozen mutton, besides wool, etc.

Monday 2 September 1889
Mr Richardson, late chief officer of the Tarawera, takes command of the Mawhera, and Captain Oliver has been promoted to the command of the Pacific.

Wednesday 4 September 1889
According to a return published by the New Zealand Shipping Company, during 1888-9 thirty seven steamers and 120 ships left the colony for Europe. Of the ships 12 left Lyttelton and sent away 341,317 sacks wheat
Wellington 20
Timaru 13 sent away 92,086
Napier 13
Oamaru 9 sent away 41,503
Auckland 8
Port Chalmers 7 1752
Bluff 4
Gisborne 8
Picton 1
The exports comprised "short tons" 30,460 of frozen mutton, 3756 tons beef, 277,115 bales of wool and skins,42,118 bales flax, 475,115 sacks wheat, 23,182 packages tallow, 17,860 tons of sundaries. Lyttelton sent away the most mutton, Wellington most wool and hides. Auckland most sundaries.

Thursday 5 September 1889
The Coptic gives us a very good idea of what the benefit of steam service is to the colony. It was 102 days to Sunday last, from the time that steamer left Lyttelton for London last. She was eleven days in London discharging her cargo and reviving her cargo for this colony, and allowing five days for stoppages homewards and outwards, she has been steaming a total of eighty-seven days, during which time she covered something like 25,499 miles or an average of about 293 a day or nearly twelve and a half miles per hour.

Timaru Herald Thursday 5 September 1889
At Whitby, Captain cook had all his ships built and some of the relics of that intrepid navigator can be seen in the museum there, including the rudder yokes of his boat. His compass is now in the possession of Mr Philip Hedger, of Southampton.

Friday 6 September 1889
The New Shire Liner
On July 11th, Messrs R. and W. Hawthorn, Leslie, and Co., of Hepburn launched for Messrs Turnbull, Martin and Co., of Glasgow, a large screw steamer built for the New Zealand trade. The length of the vessel is 36 feet and breadth 48ft, with a deadweight capacity of 5500 tons. She has been specially built for the carriage of dead meat from the colonies to England and her holds are fitted with exclusive refrigerating chambers and refrigerating engines. She has accommodation for fifty first class passengers in a fine saloon aft the state rooms being large and well ventilated. She is fitted throughout with electric light and machinery for rapid loading and discharging of cargo. The engines are triple expansion also by Messrs hawthorn, Leslie and Co and are about 25_ hp. The vessel has been built under the superintendence of Mr John Wotherspoon, and is classed 100A1 at Lloyds. She will also be placed on the Admiralty list as a transport in time of war. On leaving the ways she was named the Nairshire. The new steamer will arrive at this port about the middle of November to load frozen mutton for London.

Monday 9 September 1889
Wellington, Sept. 8
The R.M.S. Rimutaka arrived from London via the Cape and Hobart, at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Exceptionally heavy weather was met with between the Cape and Hobart. Mr Wilson, chief and general manager of the Midland Railway Company, is a passenger. The steaming time of the ship was 42 days 11 hours and 34 minutes; actual time 41 days 3 hours and 14 min.

Monday 16 September 1889
Wellington, Sept. 13
Arrived - Zealandia, ship, Captain Phillips, 99 days, from London.

Tuesday 1 October 1889
Adelaide, Sept. 30
Arrived - Massilia. Passengers for New Zealand, Messrs Rhodes and Ennisley.

Friday 4 October 1889
Arrived Oct. 3 - Rookwood, barque, 749 tons, Jewitt, from London via Nelson. She will be worked at the berth alongside the Moody jetty. Will load wool. She is a very handy sized iron barque 193ft 9in. long, has a beam of 30ft 4in. and a depth of hold 18ft 9in. She was built at Cardiff in 1869, and in June, 1887, was reclassed as 100 A1 remaining so to this day. Her gross tonnage is 779 tons, and under deck 733. Shaw Savill and Albion Co charter.

Saturday 6 October 1889
Auckland, Oct. 4
Sailed - Auckland, ship, for Port Chalmers.
Dunedin, schooner for Sunday Island, one of the Kermadec group, with a batch of settlers and families, twenty in all, from Hawke's Bay. They intend forming a settlement at Denham Bay on the island, under the auspices of the Kermadec Fruit and Produce Association. The Dunedin took a full cargo of building material, implements, etc. and six months provisions for settlers. The schooner returns in a short times for another party of settlers from various parts of the colony. Bells

Monday 7 October 1889 Port Chalmers.
Sailed Oct. 5, Brier Holme, iron barque, Captain Johnson (Johnstone), for Timaru. A barque of 894 tons, register, under charter to the New Zealand Shipping Co., to load wool for London. She was built in 1876, for Messrs Hine Bros., Maryport, Cumberland, and is classed 100 A1 at Lloyd's.  She will load wheat for London. Left Liverpool on May 12th, Queenstown May 29th. A sea broke over her on July 29 in Lat. 44S.  long 69 E, smashed the wheel box and granites, and carried away the binnacle, smashed the skylights in the poop and flooded the saloon. Captain Johnstone and Mr Mitchell, a passenger, were washed leeward. Mr Mitchell sustained the loss of the top of one finger, while Captain Johnstone was rendered senseless, left ear drum broken, and left shoulder and forearm severely injured. pfd pg14 On 5 November 1904 in thick weather she drove ashore north of Port Davey, Tasmania. The single survivor, Oscar Larson lived on ship's stores for 3 months before rescue.

Thursday 10 October 1889
Albany, Oct. 9
Arrived - Liguria, from Plymouth. Passengers for New Zealand, Mr and Mrs O'Neil, Messrs Martyn, Tralley, Wilson and Woodhouse.

Hobart, Oct. 9
The Ruapehu, which arrived here yesterday, has 46 emigrants for New Plymouth.

Saturday 19 October 1889
The steamer Argus, under charter to the Union Company, arrived in port yesterday, from Lyttelton, Captain MacArthur. The Argus is a new steamer, launched during the early part of this year to the order of Messrs A. Currie and Co., of Melbourne. She is 325ft long, ?42ft 4 in beam, and 24 ft depth of hold, and is built as a "well-decker." Right aft there is a small, neat saloon, where accommodation for about twenty passengers is provided in nice, large, well0venilated cabins. Her registered tonnage is 1822 tons, and she can carry a large cargo of produce, something between 3000 and 4000 tons. Her engines are on the triple expansion principle. Hp 1899, nominal 400, steam 11 knots an hour on a consumption of coal 27 tons per diem. Her crew consists of Malays, the only Englishman on board being the officers and steward. She is under command of Captain J.D. Arthur, late of the China Navigation Company's fleet. Mr Forrester is chief officer. Mr J.D. Evans second, and Mr W. Laing third. The engine room is under the control of Mr W.H. Brongh, as chief, Mr Glover as second. Mr Knox as third, and Mr Fuller as fourth engineer. Mr F.A. Holmes is chief steward. She leaves for Sydney and Newcastle, at noon to-day.

Timaru Herald Saturday October 26 1889 Melbourne, Oct. 25
Arrived - P. and O. Company's Arcadia from Plymouth. New Zealand passengers, Mrs Grondona, Misses Chapman and Dine, Messrs Mythria, Landswas, Story, Ansonne, Dathie, Smith, Cindey, Eagles and Barlett.

October 30 1889
Port Chalmers
Arrived - Oct. 29 - Jessie Readman, Gibson, 101 days from London

Thursday October 31 1889
Arrived Timaru. Oct. 30 - Piako, ship, 1075 tons, Sutherland, from London via Auckland via Auckland. The ship Piako arrived from Auckland at noon yesterday after rather a long run of 11 days. She is in splendid order, and reflects credit on Captain Sutherland and his crew.

Cleared - Oct. 30 - Brier Holme, barque, captain Johnson, for the United Kingdom. She cleared customs yesterday morning with a full load of produce for London. She was hauled off to the buoys preparatory to sailing. Sailed Nov. 1.

Monday 4 November 1889
Arrived Port of Timaru Nov. 2 - Cairntoul, s.s., 1730 tons, Allman, from Oamaru. The s.s. Cairntoul, recently purchased by the Union Company for the intercolonial trade arrived from Oamaru on Saturday. She is in command of Captain Allman, well-known on the New Zealand coast as having been master of several of the Company's vessels. The Cairntoul is a new vessel, a cargo boat. She can carry 23,000 sacks on a moderate draft. Built at Newcastle-on-Tyne, is of steel throughout, with triple expansion engines and can steam about 10 knots on a consumption of 13 tons of coal per day of 24 hours. Four hatches but only two holds of great capacity. The cabin accomodation is limited. Sailed for Sydney in the evening.

Monday 18 November 1889
Port Chalmers, Nov. 17
Arrived - Doric, Captain Jennings, from Plymouth, via Capetown and Hobart. 112 passengers. No births or deaths occurred. The personnel of her officers is the same as last voyage, with the exception that Dr. Radmore comes as surgeon. 49 days 1 hour.

Friday November 1889
Dunedin, Nov. 21
The Mararoa left Melbourne on Wednesday with 206 passengers for the Exhibition opening. She calls at the Bluff, reaching Dunedin on Saturday night.

Saturday 23 November 1889
Owning to an accident to the s.s. Nairnshire off Bluff harbour, her anchor windlass carrying away when she was weighing to go in, the harbourmaster, who was on board thought it in advisable to take her into Bluff harbour without her windlass, and sent her to Dunedin. In consequence of the accident the Nairnshire will not come to Timaru this trip. The meat that is waiting for her will be railed to Dunedin by special train.

Monday 25 November 1889
Wellington, Nov. 24
The Wairarapa sailed for Lyttelton and Dunedin this afternoon, taking about 100 saloon and 79 steerage passengers from here. Among those on board were Sir H.A. Atikson, the Hons. Messrs Fergus and Mitchelson, Messrs J. Duthie (Mayor of Wellington), E.W. Mils (chairman of the local exhibition committee), Parsons (mayor of Wanganui), Riley (mayor of Blenheim), Colonel Fraser, Dr Newman, Mr Sydney Taiwhanga, M.H.Rs., Colonel Trimble, ex-M.H.R., and Mr J. Gordon, Inspector of the Mines Department.

Thursday 28 November 1889
Auckland, Nov. 27
Arrived - Southern Cross, Melanesia Association schooner, from Solomon Islands, Santa Cruz and New Hebrides, via Norfolk Islands, after a four months cruise. She reports all things quiet. Passenger for Dunedin - Rev. R. Turnbull. She will probably be replaced by a new vessel shortly.

Thursday 28 November 1889 Timaru
Nov. 27 - Sailed - Banks Peninsula, 135 tons, Keeble, for Dunedin via Oamaru.
The s.s. Banks Peninsula arrived from Lyttelton via Akaroa. She is a fine neat looking steamer of 177 tons, and though not a large boat, she is fitted with all the latest appliances. She is to ply between Lyttelton, Akaroa, Timaru, Oamaru and Dunedin, making two trips a week. Having been built early this year to the order of a firm in Christchurch, to run trips to Akaroa and the bays, from Lyttelton, but owning to the very small amount of cargo requiring to be shipped at these ports, it was deemed advisable to lay her up, until a week or two ago, when she was re-commissioned to run as above. She is supplied with beam engines of 120 horse-power, which drive her at the rate of 12 knots an hour. Her cabin is splendidly fitted up, and can accommodate 40 passengers. It will seem that a very old person has charge of her, in the person of Captain Keeble, late of the s.s. Timaru, and other vessels. She left again at noon. She will leave her on Wednesdays for Oamaru and Dunedin.

Monday 2 December 1889
Port Chalmers. Dec. 1
Sailed - Nairnshire, s.s., Captain Wallace, for London with a cargo of 6800 bales of wool, flax, and leather, 140 casks of tallow, and 28,500 carcases of frozen mutton.

Timaru Herald Monday 2 December 1889 pg3
On the arrival of the British barque Lurline, Captain Laws, in Auckland, from London, on Saturday, says the Herald, intelligence was received of an unhappy quarrel which has taken place on board the ship when off Three Kings on Sunday, the 10th November, when the steward, James Nathaniel Howard, stabbed the cook, Matthew Parson, with a large carving knife, and inflicted a double wound on the latter's forearm. Parson bled profusely and shortly fainted. Both Howard and Parson are full-blooded negroes, the former hailing from Bermuda, and the latter from St Kitts. The wounded man, Matthew Parson, who is a powerfully built darkey of about 50 years of age was in the galley. Tasker, the sailmaker, was with the chief officer, Mr W. McMillan witnessed the event. The man at the wheel was H.W. Anderson.

Tuesday 3 December 1889
The Monarch sailed from Adelaide on the 30th November, is coming direct to Timaru, to load a cargo of wheat for the United Kingdom. The Monarch is a barque of 854 tons register, and is commanded by Captain A. C. Underhill. She is consigned to the N.Z. Loan and Mercantile Agency Co.

Wellington, Dec. 2
The R.M.S. Tongariro arrived from London via the Cape and Hobart, at 4 o'clock this afternoon. She left Plymouth on the19th October, Santa Cruz on the 24th; Capetown on the 8th November and Hobart on the 27th. The following are the officers:-

Commander 	J.Bone
Chief Officer 	Mr C. Milward, vice - Mr Bloxham
Second Officer 	Mr R. Denton
Surgeon 	Dr A.H. Williams
Chief engineer 	Mr Adamson, in place of Mr Waring, invalided
Captain's clerk Mr H.Z. Beanmont vice Mr Burliuson

Wednesday 4 December 1889
Port of Timaru
Dec. 3. - Brunner, s.s., 340 tons, Ewen, from Oamaru and Dunedin.

Dec. 2 - Orpheus, schooner, 80 tons, Smith, for Napier
Dec. 3 - Brunner for the North and the West Coast ports.

Tuesday December 1889
Port of Timaru
Arrived - Dec. 9 - Spray, schooner, 50 tons, Palleson, from Stewart Island, with a full load of timber for Mr John Jackson.

Tuesday 10 December 1889
Twenty-five years ago yesterday, December 9th, the barque May Queen, the first vessel to load here for London direct, arrived in the roadstead. The first bale of wool was hoisted on board on the 15th.

Wednesday 11 December 1889
Port of Timaru
Arrived - Dec. 10 - Lizzie, cutter, 25 tons, from Invercargill with a full cargo of timber for Mr Murdoch. She was berthed at the Moody wharf.

Captain D. Anton, who was in command of the Earlscourt, which left Timaru on 1st May last for Home, has been appointed to the command of the Port Patrick, a new steel sailing vessel of 1700 tons net. launched at Glasgow on October 29th for Messrs Crawford and Rowart, Glasgow. In a private letter to a friend in Timaru Captain Anton reached Home after a passage of 119 days - 22 days longer than he had ever been before on a trip from the colony. He was offered a substantial increase in pay by the owners of the Earlscourt to remain with them, but has done better with Crawford and Rowart and has taken an interest in the new vessel. He was to load at Cardiff for Algoa Bay, thence to Rangoon, and he thinks it very improbable he will visit Timaru again, as his vessel is too large - Captain Clarkson would think so.

Thursday 12 December 1889
Port Timaru
Arrived - Dec. 11 - Wakatipu, s.s. 1797 tons, Wheeler, Union Company, from Dunedin. Sailed for Sydney.
Dec. 11 - Banks Peninsula, 135 tons, Keeble, from Lyttelton, via Akaroa.

Monday 16 December 1889 Port of Timaru
Dec. 14 - Rosamond, s.s., 462 tons, Stewart, from Dunedin. Union Company. She left this evening for northern ports.
Dec. 14 - Monarch, a Swedish wooden barque, 854 tons, Linderdehl, from Adelaide in ballast after a run of 15 days. She will come to the wharf at once, and commence to load for London, on account of the N.Z. L.M A. Co.

The Shaw Savill and Albion Co.'s chartered barque Rockwood finished her loading on Saturday evening and sails for London to-day. She has taken on 700 tons wheat and a little over 1600 bales of wool. She should arrive in time for the April wool sales.

Tuesday 17 December 1889
Wellington, Dec. 18
The Arawa arrived alongside the wharf . She left London on October 31st with 281 passengers, and Plymouth on November 2nd, Capetown on the 23rd, and Hobart on December 11th, landing 80 passengers and 200 tons cargo at the last named port. he brings 207 passengers for New Zealand and 1800 tons general cargo. During the voyage Mr Huxterly, a third saloon passenger died of heart disease. The officers are the same as last trip with the exception of Mr Gifford) late of the U.S.S. Co.) who comes as second officer, and Mr Liddiard (formerly of the ship Pleione as fourth. Passengers for Timaru - Third saloon: Messrs H. McLelland and G. Pinkerton.

Wednesday 18 December 1889 Port of Timaru
Dec. 17 - Ohau, s.s., 410 tons, Richardson, from the South. Sailed for Auckland via way ports.
Dec. 17 - Brunner, s.s., 340 tons, Ewen, from Dunedin.

Thursday 19 December 1889 Port of Timaru
Dec. 18 - Banks Peninsula from Akaroa and Lyttelton. Towed out of the harbour at 5 a.m. yesterday, by the p.s. Titan and given a good offing. She caught the full strength of the nor'wester outside, and was soon hull down.
Dec. 18 - Asterion, barque, 589 tons, from London, via Nelson. She left Nelson on Friday last.

Dec. 18 - Rockwood, barque, 740 tons, Jewell, for London.
Dec. 18 - Banks Peninsula for Dunedin.

Thursday 19 December 1889
Board of Trade law will come into operation in the UK on the 31st March next. Carrying lifeboats according to a scale. Should these boast not be sufficient to carry all on board, that additional accommodation shall be provided either by increased number of boats or by rafts. They also provided that there is to be a life-belt for each person on board. These rules have been adapted in NZ. and will appear in tomorrows Gazette. and shall come into effect on the first of September next, this date being fixed as to allow time to owners of vessels to procure the necessary fittings. [See TH Friday December 1889 pg 2, col c,  for the detailed article on the new and rules.]

Friday 20 December 1889 Port of Timaru
Dec. 18 - Lorraine, barque, 838 tons, Johnstone, from the River Plate in ballast after a passage of 52 days from port to port. She is a roomy looking vessel. She will commence to load wool at once on account of the Shaw Saville Co.
Dec. 19 - Clyde, schooner, 94 tons, from Lyttelton, berthed at Moody wharf.
Dec. 19 - Zior, schooner, 63 tons, Jensen, from Lyttelton
Dec. 19 - Herald, s.s., 376 tons, Jones, from Lyttelton for Dunedin with a load of produce, then will return to take in cargo for Greymouth and way ports.

Saturday 21 December 1889 Port of Timaru
Dec. 20 - Piako, ship, 1028 tons, Sutherland, for London with 4000 bales wool, 4123 sks wheat, 80 casks tallow, 14 casks pelts, 12 kegs butter. Taken in tow by the Titan with a full load of wool. Being a fast sailer and in good trim we expect to hear of her arrival under 100 days.
Dec. 20 - H.M. Lizard, gunboat, 713 tons, Commander Pelly, for Lyttelton
Dec. 20 - Banks Peninsula, for Lyttelton.

Lyttelton, Dec. 20
Arrived - Barque Hurunui, Capt. Sinclair, from London (Sept. 1st). Shortly after clearing the channel, it was discovered that the maintopmast has started, so no press of canvas could be carried. On Dec. 13th a seaman named McMahon stabbed in the calf of the right leg the boatswain, W. Bean. The wound is not serious.

Tuesday 24 December 1889
Auckland, Dec. 23
Arrived - Arawata, from Fiji. Among the passengers were Sir James Thurton, Governor of Fiji and High Commissioner of the Western Pacific, accompanied by his private secretary and Lady Thurston and family.

Saturday 28 December 1889 Port of Timaru
Arrived Dec. 27 - Mahinapua, 205 tons, Todd, from Westport.
Dec. 27 - Brunner, s.s., 340 tons, Union Company, Ewen, from northern ports.

The command of the Shaw, Savill, and Albion Company's new steamer Matautau has been given to Captain A. McDougall, who was formerly commanded the ship Auckland, and for some years past been in one of Messrs P. Henderson and Co.'s Rangoon steamers.

Monday 30 December 1889
Since the 1st July last 32,205 bales of New Zealand flax have been shipped from Wellington to England and 8180 bales to America. An additional; 3408 bale swill be shipped for England and 1800 for America, making a total export for the half year of 45,473 bales, representing a value in round numbers of 227,365.

Tuesday 31 December 1889
Wellington, Dec. 30
The Aorangi was berthed. She left Plymouth on 16th Nov with 202? passengers. Sydney J. Perrin a second class passenger, died of phthisis on the 13th December. Passenger for Timaru - Mr Moore. The scarlet fever victim was a child.

Otago Witness November 30 1872 pg12
Port Chalmers Departure -
, p.s, 134 tons, Hart, for Timaru. Passengers: Mr and Mrs Baxter and family (4).  Messrs Ross, Rose, McNab, Goldsmith and 4 in the steerage.

Otago Witness 7 December 1872
Arrivals Port Chalmers - Nov. 29 - Samson, p.s., from Timaru. Passengers: Messrs Roberts and Hambleton.

Timaru Herald, 10 February 1873, Page 1 TRADE OF TIMARU FOR THE YEAR 1872

Star 4 September 1897, Page 4
Timaru. The Black Ball Company's s.s. Pareora called yesterday to land some coal and to collect 450 tons of produce for Wellington and Greymouth. The schooner Glencairn has been lying in the harbour many days, produce-laden, awaiting a fair wind to sail for Wanganui. A "black north-easter" was blowing yesterday morning, and raised a lively sea. Later on the wind veered to south-east, and then lulled.

Family History: Registers of Seamen's Services UK
Busby, William
Official Number: 183033
Place of Birth: Trimain, New Zealand
17 February 1874 188/306

Mason, John William
Official Number: 358906
Place of Birth: Timaru, New Zealand
22 November 1881 ADM 188/544

Mills, Robert Ernest
Official Number: 156501
Place of Birth: Timaru, New Zealand
06 October 1876 ADM 188/228

O'Neill, Arthur Henry
Official Number: 308437
Place of Birth: South Canterbury, New Zealand
07 May 1883 ADM 188/503

Reid, Robert
Official Number: 156502
Place of Birth: Timaru, New Zealand
27 June 1875 ADM 188/228

Smith, Austin Jowsey Gregg
Official Number: SS11615
Place of Birth: Timarn, New Zealand
18 April 1900  ADM 188/1105

Thompson, Charles Archibald
Official Number: M24092
Place of Birth: Pleasant Point, South Canterbury, New Zealand
23 September 1889 ADM 188/1066

Mt Peel to the far right. Sept. 2010.
The blossom is only just starting to appear around town. This tree is in Nile Street. Probably a flowering cherry tree.