The Presbyterian Church of St Andrew [the Apostle], on Cox Street, Geraldine
On Cox St. is a beautiful church built of stones collected from the local river beds and was dedicated on November 30 1950. The above church has three stained glass windows.
Timaru Herald Wednesday 19th March 1873
Presbyterian Church, Geraldine.
On last Sunday, the above building though not entirely completed was opened for Divine service. The rain cleared off during the night, towards eleven o'clock on Sabbath morning carriages, buggies, traps and horses, all bearing their living freight, together with a few pedestrians, were seen assembling from all quarters. The congregation may be said were the largest ever seen in Geraldine. The Church itself is fully seated, but in addition to this accommodation the seats of the school house and the Wesleyan Chapel were absorbed. The Wesleyans in deference to the occasion very courteously closed their place of worship for the day. The Rev. Geo. Barclay conducted the service in the morning - setting fourth from Acts, xvi, 13 14, what he termed "Three great institutes of religion... The Rev. R. Ewen preached in the evening from John v, ii ... The choir consisted of volunteers from Geraldine, Temuka and Timaru. The Rev. G. Barclay having stated at the morning service that some £30 were wanted by the building committee, the collections - which says much for the liberality of the congregation -amounted to within a trifle of that sum. [The Geraldine Church was built in 1873 was moved to Cox St. in 1887. ]
Otago Witness, 15 April 1882, Page 9
The Rev. George Barclay, Presbyterian minister, who is leaving Timaru for the Old Country, was presented at Geraldine with a cheque for £550, subscribed by his parishioners and many other friends.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church On Cox
St. is a beautiful church built of stones collected from the local river
beds and was dedicated on November 30 1950.
The Presbyterian church at Woodbury was first erected in 1887 and doubled in
size in 1892. Bells for both churches were donated by Rev. George Barclay
J.P. (1835-1908) who arrived at Lyttelton on 1st January 1865. He was
ordained March 8 of that year in St Paul's Church, Christchurch and placed
over the South Canterbury charge with its headquarters in Timaru in 1865.
The people in Timaru complained that there minister was away too much.
Likewise the rural areas complained they did not see him enough. A church
was built in Temuka with Rev. Barclay as minister. In 1872 he accepted a
call to move to Geraldine. In 1879 this charge was divided into three
charges. Geraldine, Point and Temuka. The Geraldine church was built in 1873
was moved to Cox St. in 1887. Rev. Barclay was active in education affairs,
a member of the South Canterbury Education Board from its inception and for
a long time Chairman of the Appointment Committee.
by A.J. Davey.
St. Andrew's, Geraldine : 1879-1979. Imprint: Timaru, N.Z.: Beynon Print, 
To the Glory of God in memory of Kenneth Mackenzie 1868-1950 and Eva 1866-1942. presented by the family. Mr Mackenzie, MBE, was a former member of the Geraldine County Council. This beautiful 1952 John Brock east sanctuary window, the Good Shepherd, similar to, the 1954 John W. Brock window at St. Paul's in Timaru. (opens in a new window)
Two 1975 Roy Miller windows - The Sower and The Lamb in Revelation presented by Maurice Askin commemorating the Askin family.
Otago Witness, 4 August 1909, Page 26
In response to a request from the family of the late Rev. G. Barclay, who was the first minister of the Geraldine Church, permission has been granted by the managers to the family to place a memorial tablet on the walls of the church.
In memory of Rev. George Barclay former Presbyterian Minister of South Canterbury who founded this congregation.
In memory of Angus Macdonald born April 1st 1822. Died March 2nd 1890. Aged 68. One of the first members of this church.
Bush Advocate, 20 July 1908, Page 5
DEATH OF A PIONEER CLERGYMAN
WAIMATE, to-day Obituary: Rev. G. Barclay, a pioneer Presbyterian clergyman, of South Canterbury, after a short illness. Deceased was the father of Mr A. R. Barclay, M.P., and of Dr Barclay.
Ashburton Guardian, 20 July 1908, Page 2
REV. GEORGE BARCLAY
Waimate, July 20. The Rev. George Barclay, pioneer Presbyterian clergyman of South Canterbury, has died, after a short illness. He was the father of Mr A. R. Barclay, M.A., Dunedin, and of Dr. Barclay, of Waimate. Mr Barclay was born in Ireland about 1835 or 1836; and was educated, party, at University College, London, and partly at other Home institutions. He received his theological training in the College of the English Presbyterian Church, and afterwards became a licentiate of the Presbytery of London. In January, 1865, he landed in Lyttelton, and, a short time after, he took up his abode-in Timaru, his district extending from the Rangitata in the north to the Waitaki in the south, and east and west - was far as he could go across the island. In later years Mr Barclay took an active interest in the work of education in South Canterbury, as a member of the South Canterbury Education Board, and it. was chiefly through his agency that Waimate obtained its High School.
Mr Barclay, was well known for his willingness to travel throughout his parish, often make a round trip on horseback to Temuka, Geraldine and Pleasant Point after Sunday services in Timaru.
Press, 19 July 1872, Page 2
With reference to the Presbyterian Church of Temuka and Geraldine, the Herald says The manse contemplated for the Rev. George Barclay, we learn, is in course of erection. The premises are to consist of a large ten-roomed dwelling-house, two stories high throughout, with bow windows both in the drawing-room and dining-room, wash-house, buggy-house, two-stalled stable and harness-room. The architect is Mr John Currie, of Temuka; and the contractor, Mr Joseph Dean, of Geraldine. The office-houses being the first portion of the premises taken in band, are on the eve of completion. For the church at Geraldine, the architect and contractor is Mr Wm. Upton, of Timaru. A quantity of timber is laid on the ground for the structure, but the building is not yet commenced. It is greatly to be regretted for the more expeditions completion of these undertakings, that the Raukapuka Sawmills have ceased to supply orders during the winter. The manse land, since our last information, has been securely fenced all round, the expense about £50—being borne by the private munificence of Mr Angus Macdonald, of Waitui.
Timaru Herald, 20 August 1895, Page 2
On Sunday the Geraldine Presbyterian Church was filled to its utmost capacity, the preacher being the Rev. John Mackenzie, M.A., second son of Mr A. Mackenzie, Geraldine Road. Young Mackenzie received his early education at the Geraldine Public School, then under the able management of Mr Thomas Hughes, B.A., now of Christchurch. In 1881 Mackenzie gained a scholarship under the South Canterbury Education Board, which he held for three years. He attended the Timaru High School for several years, and made excellent progress. At the matriculation examination he passed with great credit, and just missed a junior University scholarship by one place. He then went to Dunedin University, where he was most successful as a student, and obtained his M.A. degree. Rather more than two years ago he went to the Old Country and continued his studies in the New College, Edinburgh. He has finished his career as a student and lately received a hearty and unanimous call from the Thames, a large and important charge for a young man. On Sunday morning Mr Mackenzie preached from John vii, 17. He has a fine commanding presence and speaks fluently, and the grand old gospel under his fresh cultivated mind acquires a reality and power very few preachers can command. At the conclusion of the service a great many old friends gathered round the preacher, to wish him God speed in his new parish. The singing of choir and congregation was excellent, and the entire service will long be remembered in Geraldine.
Saint Andrew's Hall.
This stone was laid by Alex. Mackenzie Esq. June 23rd 1912.
St Andrew's Hall
South Canterbury NZGenWeb Project